Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Trailer looks good - does anyone else think it looks a bit too....I don't know, bright and polished, almost plastic? Every scene looks super bright, gives it a very PG13 look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Good trailer overall with some intriguing shots, and they especially nailed the shadowspawn.

The only stuff that looks concerning is some of the CGI and a few action shots, looked a bit amateurish or low budget.

I think this is maybe what I was trying to convey. The trailer was well put together but there's something very B movie about the production design.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Having seen the trailer I am definitely preserving my scepticism about the likely quality of this. I'm guessing it's going to be palatable but not very good.

Basically all the voices all having standard posh RP 'I went straight from RADA to Hollywood' accents isn't great.

Trollocs, well we didn't get a good look but they really are going to need to look proper hosed up to be at all scary and non-dumb-looking, and I'm not confident based on what was in that trailer.
Fade looks pretty generic/uninspired. Give me an actual man's face with no eyes or some poo poo, something proper creepy, not B-movie alien/doctor who poo poo.
They can redeem these things with decent shooting and editing though. But why show it now? Spoils the reveal. Maybe the Draghkar will be properly cool.

One other thing I really would like them to do is to go to the effort of making the One Power not visible to non-power-wielders. But I suspect they haven't done that because they felt it would be too challenging. Don't know if there's an answer to this somewhere in an AMA or something.

Yes. I don't want them to imitate GoT or the Witcher with so-gritty-everything's-covered-in-shite type aesthetic, but at the same time, we live in a post-GoT world so my prediction is that a big fantasy series has to make efforts to look vaguely 'real' in some sense, in order to have any impact on its audience. There was a shitload of shiny magic in the trailer and, fine, people like Marvel stuff so big woop but... super-heroes are one thing. They were part of common parlance and the cultural furniture long before the recent spate of Marvel movies. Wheel of Time is a totally new IP to most of the world. IMO it has some big hurdles to overcome if it wants to make inroads.

Anyways, we'll see! There was good stuff in there too.

Yeah I've watched this a couple times and I agree with your take.

There is a good compromise between "everything is covered in gray mud" to "this looks like it was made in 1993" and I hope they find it. The Aes Sedai should have fabulous clothes in certain scenes but they can easily go overboard and make the world unrelatable. Revealing the trollocs and the fades in the very first trailer is also a bit of a letdown IMO. No buildup whatsoever. Very "show the best parts in the trailer" vibes.

Regardless, I'm still very excited and am glad the show looks at least somewhat promising.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Killer robot posted:

It'd be weird if they didn't include the ubiquitous monsters that show up really early in the plot. Fellowship of the Ring put orcs and Nazgul straight up in the earliest trailers, why wouldn't their knockoffstributes get the same treatment?

True, but orcs and such are fairly standard fantasy fare that didn't have any shock or scare value for most people. In the novels, the build up to the first fade reveal is pretty awesome. I feel like showing a dark figure might have gotten the same point across, which I think they actually did elsewhere in the trailer.

But yeah, they need to market the show. I get that.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Qmass posted:

the bloom makes the trailer look really cheap

This. I posted yesterday about the color but this is what I was trying to get at.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
It could also be that the trailer happened to contain a lot of bright scenes and shots, but that it won't be representative of the whole show.

No one is saying the show is going to suck and it's awful and they hate it. They are just pointing out that some dramatic lighting and use of dark / shadow could improve the visuals. That isn't a huge criticism, it's pretty basic really.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
He's a coffee boy who pitched a super lovely story idea to D&D one day and they were so blown away by how good they thought it was, they invited him to be a writer for the biggest show in the history of TV up until that point.

It's 100% emblematic of how insanely bad they were at certain aspects of running the show.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Wikipedia says he joined the show as an assistant to the writers in Season 2. Three seasons later they let him write an episode. Why is that "promoting white dudes with no experience instead of long term writers" and not just... Giving an opportunity to someone who has been on set for 3 seasons??

Please tell me more about his responsibilities on set that I'm sure you're definitely legitimately familiar with :allears:

Like don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him or D&D - I'm in full agreement that Season 5 and beyond just got worse and worse, but come the gently caress on dude 'a coffee boy they invited to be a writer' is quite the hot take. He wrote 1 episode per season for 4 seasons. That's it.

"Assistant" is what coffee boys are called. My best friend worked as Bill Paxton's assistant for 2 years while he made The Greatest Game Ever Played. His job duties consisted of running errands for him like picking up his clothes and food and poo poo. Assistants do not participate in the creative process at all. That's not their function.

So yeah, D&D hired their coffee boy with no experience whatsoever to be a writer on their show- the biggest show on TV ever up to that point. Not sure why you feel compelled to white knight this guy but it doesn't change the fact that they could have hired anyone (the best writers in the world would have killed for a chance to work on that show) but they chose their coffee boy. Does writing 1 episode per season make someone not a writer on the show? I don't get your point at all.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

He was entrusted with a relatively small task once per season,

lol yeah man, writing 10% of the biggest show on TV is a small task

What a strange hill to die on

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite part of that story is that his idea was objectively worse than the source material, which has Jon discovering the body the next morning, and not knowing who fired the lethal arrow. The internal turmoil the character went through, not knowing whether or not to feel guilt, or hate his brothers...just really great story telling. But yeah instead let's have potato boy do it.

LOL

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I'm willing to bet that they either truncate or completely cut Moiraine's wild ride. No way they can make that work like in the books.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I think Jennifer Connelly would kill it as Lanfear.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
lol every once in a while I forget that this show will be written in part by a coffee boy who was made a main writer for the biggest show in TV history.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I liked a lot of the writing and the dialogue was pretty good, but the acting was a little bit overdramatic in parts and the visual effects were just not that good. Given the amount of money that Amazon is spending on this show, I would have expected a little bit better in terms of cinematography and lighting, in addition to CG.

Pike was ok as moiraine but her delivery was a bit too cheesy IMO. Definitely felt like she was reading from a script rather than speaking earnestly. The few parts where she kind of broke character were really good though, like when she laughed at (I think) Matt's quip. Just not very charismatic overall.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
They definitely changed a lot of character attributes, backstory, and motivation- but I'm ok with that if the show characters end up being more interesting. I think show Perrin and show Mat have the potential to be more interesting than their book versions. Show Lan and show Moiraine on the other hand do seem far less impressive and larger-than-life like they appear in the novels. Moiraine's use of the one power aside, they seem pretty dull and wooden.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

"Who taught you to fit your cadinsor slip fashion"

this is a top shelf post

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Yes

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Are the immaculate hairstyles tactical as well?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the diversity is surely pissing off a poo poo ton of bigots, which is just /chefskiss

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I definitely get why show watchers would think that the AS aren't that dangerous given that 30 charging hobos on foot managed to overwhelm several of them and their warders. Logain's "army" was pathetic- for a show that costs 7 figures per episode you'd think they could get at least a hundred extras to run around in the grass and pretend to get blown up.

We're supposed to believe this baseball team overran an entire kingdom? Lol

I did think making the king a follower of Logain was really good though. Very clear way of demonstrating the disruptive power of even fake messiahs.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 27, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Yeah, they definitely should have postponed production for 5 years when Covid restrictions are lifted.

Nah, with as ragged and random as the attack was, they could have easily maintained social distancing with a couple hundred.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Does it grow into more than this? Like, I think it's fine, pretty good even, this last episode was the best it's been so far. But I have trouble believing people would become zealous fans of this; it's just a bit too bland and joyless compared to something like the LOTR adaptations.

No, it's awful and everyone who loves the books has inferior taste compared to you. I'm just glad we all know it now.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Needs a “special” gang tag for combined book & show weirdos.

Thread tuggers

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Xotl posted:

- Emond's Field was strangely jumbled ethnically

ooooh boy

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I think the show also gives a little bit of an impression that valda may be a bit of a loose cannon even by questioner standards. They went out of their way to show a pretty deep divide between the military and Inquisitor structures in the organization, with the former being represented by a fairly normal-seeming person who even showed compassion for moiraine.

Valda is not like most white cloaks, and we have clues that suggest he's not like most questioners either. As the poster above stated, it may be that his murder spree is not really known and may have consequences once revealed.

The show is not what I expected or even remembered from the books in terms of tone, but in some ways it seems better and more artful. This version of Lan and Moiraine in particular is just vastly different but I really like it. Less storybook and more human.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
The pacing definitely sucks, but if you want to blame anyone blame Amazon, who forced Rafe (the showrunner) to cram everything into 8 episodes. I think he's done really well so far, but there's just no way to condense everything without creating some obvious pacing issues. This episode really highlighted that.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Also why are people throwing veg at a wagon with Aes Sedai on it, what if they hit them instead of logain

I will never understand how some people are so bad at watching television.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

It's ok for other people to have different opinions about a TV show.

It's equally ok to make fun of the dumbest opinions.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah all you need is a tiki torch for that screen grab, Jesus Christ.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
The cut from Moiraine being exiled to being on horseback was extremely sudden and jarring, and I never notice that kind of stuff.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I don't get why we don't have a no tolerance thread ban rule in effect here. How difficult is it to not come in to the one thread on the whole site that has a specific rule against spoiling this specific show and spoil poo poo?

Seriously. If someone posts spoiler poo poo in here just kick them out.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Are we really doing gigantic walls of spoiled text in the no spoiler thread?

Why. Use the other thread. Holy poo poo.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
e: nevermind

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
The camera work for the intro fight was awesome but the choreography was so dumb. Multiple plate wearing soldiers getting wrecked by a someone in labor wearing robes is weird enough but all the jumping and spinning bullshit is just so cringe. Like "300" level cringe.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

A bunch of people in here really don't get sword/spear fighting combat! more cringe than the excellent fight scene. I also don't think the (I'm assuming here) dudes get how dope it is to watch a woman who's pregnant kicking so much rear end. Twitter is going nuts over that scene.

Spear fighting does not involve sprinting forward then limboing under lateral swings in order to spin around, or catching an opponent's weapon on yours and somehow using that to completely spin your opponent off their feet, defeating them completely. At one point two armed men were right behind her and she was looking away from them toward the camera, and they just ran away instead of just easily killing her. It just blows my mind that with 9 figures, this show can't hire someone to make the fight scenes both fun to watch and somewhat based in reality. There's a continuum between anime bullshit fighting and boring, hyper realistic. This is definitely more toward the former. Agree to disagree but they could do so much better with the mountain of money they have.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
lol any mild criticism of the show, even from people who enjoy and root for it in general, is met with "you're an incel yelling"

I'll never understand how people wrap up their consumption preferences into their own sense of self worth. I found one fight scene to be underwhelming and thought they could have done something better with it and apparently I'm the same as racists and misogynists wanting a Nazifest. Just a totally normal, cool atmosphere in here.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Nah, actual swordfighting is fun to watch. But it's much too quick for most scenes and if it devolves into wresting that's not usually the image they want to project with the fight.

This is true which is why I think a balance can and should be struck when possible. Here's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about. There are definitely some "Hollywood" elements here but these two dorks managed to create a better fight scene in some old Czech castle that Amazon could with the amount of resources they have. The disarms and blade work are just really great - no one gets impossibly flipped after a parry, just for example.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 17, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
lol those guys post 2 hour videos, I wrote like 3 sentences about one scene

Seriously some of you guys need to disentangle your egos from whether or not everyone shares your opinions on subjective art. "Both you and a nazi wanted a more realistic fight scene so you must also be a nazi" is super toxic, even for this forum.

Anyway, this is a dumb derail and I apologize for starting it. Had no idea it would generate this kind of a response.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

There's a big difference between saying you would have preferred more realistic fight scenes and coming in hot like some incel youtube weapons master laying down the law about spear fighting.

And LOL someone changed your AV

Yeah that's fair - it's hard to predict how criticism will be received vs. what you intend with it. I like the av change :)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer

RandomReader posted:

Impossible, there is only one right opinion (mine) and 7 billion people being wrong and stupid that need reducation. :smuggo:

Not just that, anyone who wants a different degree of realism than I do in their cinematic choreography is a screaming Nazi incel. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, she's going to be the series co-protagonist along with Rand. They've made that pretty clear in the first season