Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

The one arm armored thing is just a pet peeve i have about armor in fantasy stuff. It's always so impractical and clearly part of costume design before anything else.

There's a reason that it never existed. There were better, and easier way to show rank and wealth. The full white outfits actually do that, because it means they possess the resources to clean and bleach that much white clothing, and also these guys don't do anything that would cause them to get dirty anyways.

What Kinds of Weapons and Armor Did Gladiators Use?

Definitely never existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manica_(armguard)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galerus

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

navyjack posted:

Honestly, I was in before this ep, but it was with all the caveats “Can’t be a direct adaptation”, “Happy they’re even making it,” “Not on board with all the changes but giving them the benefit of the doubt.”

After this ep, I’m all in. The warders were awesome. I loved Owein and Ihvon being all cuddly. I totally took the bait in the Grimewell farmhouse and was about to rage-quit but then…redemption. Logain is cool as hell but I still see Curtis Armstrong every time I see him. His channeling and the taint were awesome.

If they can keep this pace and quality it’s gonna be a hell of a ride.
Same for me. There were several moments before that made me really like what they were doing (Perrin's wife, Thom's introduction, the Darkfriend, etc), but this episode a whole lot of stuff came together to really make it unabashedly awesome.

I really liked the feeling of uselessness that Nynaeve exhibited during the fight against Logain's army. The Warders and the Aes Sedai doing all this awesome stuff and blowing stuff up left and right. Meanwhile Nynaeve, after some frantic searching, gets out a tiny little butter knife (still manages to kill the guy attacking her though). And then that moment at the end where she shows her potential. Simply awesome.

I also really liked how they show the taint and the resulting madness with Logain.

Is there any way to see those X-Ray animes somewhere? They don't show on my TV.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Here is a Youtube playlist with the animated shorts in pretty good quality:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-FYNfmZsp-j_SwKC830_S2nU7MDZDNEm

I have to say, they are really, really good.

No idea how long it will stay up, so take a look :)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Trollocs looked pretty, obvious cgi when they were running on all 4.
The Trollocs are mostly practical effects. The stunt people actually run on small stilts to make them be larger. They show it in one of the "Making of"/Deep Dive videos.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The gently caress is with considering the xray stuff to be considered non spoiler if the show hasn't gotten there yet?

It's a Fandom thing, it assumes you know the story.
The X-Ray stuff is (badly) accessible for normal show watchers and is always uploaded with each new episode coming out. It does not require having read the books. IMO, it should be considered exactly as spoilery as each new episode.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 5, 2021

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

Also personal opinion, but subtitles are like basically required on a show like this, even if its just for names. So much easier to follow and remember when you get a reminder of names constantly.
I agree with this. After watching lots of (non-english) foreign language films and series, I almost always leave subtitles on. It makes it so much easier to follow everything,

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Someone pointed this out in the other thread, but the Wheel of Time Origins animations are now available as normal stand-alone extras. Really good explainers about some stuff or just neat stories about other stuff.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

tsob posted:

While it's certainly possible they could have left it up to the audience to put two and two together and know that Rand channeled to knock the door down, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the same in the Ways, because there's really nothing suggesting Rand was responsible there and Egwene says she did it without intending to. It'd also mean skipping over him thinking about Tam babbling about his birth if they didn't. Two of the three flashbacks the show provides are things the audience can't connect without those flashbacks.
I really loved what they did in that Trolloc scene in the Ways. It is a really „blink and you miss it“ scene:
The first time through, we see Egwene channel (including seeing the weaves) and blast the Trolloc away. She then apologizes, stuff gets crazy, etc.
In the flashback, they show what really happened. Egwene starts channeling, then Rand channels and his weaves go past Egwene and her weaves and Rand is the one to actually blast the Trolloc away.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Just saw this while rewatching episode 3 (40:31):

Did we all miss that?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why did Moraine think this was just the first battle because some "heartstone" broke? Did I miss something there?
Going from the books, I know why. From the show, they didn‘t tell explicitly.

nwin posted:

Is the finale out?
Yes.

For the record, I really liked it. I think they set up some good hooks for what will probably be happening next season. They changed a lot from the books, but that was needed any way. I really liked that it was Egwene & Nynaeve who destroyed the Trollocs army

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I think that that worked fine for the first couple of episodes, where Perrin is obviously still in shock over killing his wife. What did not really come out enough is that apparently the Tuatha'an really got to him. There were some scenes where he explained what the Tuatha'an were to the others, but it didn't come out that he was trying to follow the Way of the Leaf. Therefore it doesn't hit enough that he realized it was unworkable when facing Fades and Padan Fain and went back on that.

My guess is that Perrin's time on screen really suffered by having to take over important story points that were supposed to go to Mat. Things like Perrin + Egwene, the Horn of Valere, etc. So basically they couldn't show Perrin's story but instead used Perrin to show Mat's story. And that really didn't work.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Collateral posted:

Is saidar and saidin a thing in the show?
The cold open of episode 8 has Latra Posae Decume use the word Saidin when describing what could go wrong with Lews Therin's plan.

Niwrad posted:

Can someone explain why it matters if the dragon is good or bad? Doesn't everything just restart at the end of the cycle and get spit out again? So the last dragon was bad but the world just started another cycle, right? That part has me confused as to why its such a big deal.
The Darkfriend in episode 3 explained that if the Dark One wins, then the Wheel gets broken and there are no more cycles. The last Dragon wasn't bad, it's just that his plan backfired (dramatically). The last Dragon (that we see in the cold open of episode 8) also was still part of the same cycle as we are in the show, just in the Age before the current one in the show.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Can you link to a page where these are discussed? I don’t want to fill up the TV show thread with pages upon pages of spoiler text from the later books, but I am curious to learn which of these I picked up on and which I failed to catch.
It looks like Encyclopaedia WoT has some notes for every chapter as to what is hinted at or referenced to. Do note that this is obviously completely full of spoilers for the entire book series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Holy poo poo at the delay but at least we have news!
Agreed on this.

Really looking forward to see what exactly they will do in Season 2. Hopefully it will look more like Episodes one through six than the last two.