Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

People love dismissing the Netherlands as some sort of unique bycycling unicorn, but they made all of the same mistakes the US did in the mid-20th century. They just decided to stop making them.

Here's a video about the canal they tore out to build an urban highway - which they tore out to build a canal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePpwYCs_JM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

In america, I don't think any lane / paint measures will succeed in calming traffic. we've grown too sociopathic as a society, nobody will slow down unless ~actually forced to~ by speed bumps, obstacles, curb cutouts, etc.

That's the big thing that drives me nuts about our cargo cult approach to modern traffic road design.

We see one superficial feature like advisory lanes and slap it on a street because "works in the Netherlands!" without also realizing that the Netherlands uses them in conjunction with all sorts of other physical traffic calmin measures like chicanes, narrow streets, and level crossing sidewalks.

We need to change our whole design strategy but instead we just do little one-off special projects here and there and wonder why we don't get the same benefits.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

How do you think they should be redesigned?

Here's a good list of traffic calming devices:

https://globaldesigningcities.org/p...ing-strategies/

The idea is to fill the road with visual and physical features that either make drivers feel that they should drive more slowly or actually force them to slow down.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

Unfortunately american traffic engineers still have this mindset that the most important thing for safety is widening roads and eliminating anything that might cause cars to slow down or to crash if they lose control, including trees alongside the road

This is a bigger problem than most people think.

Every single traffic engineer comes out of school having learned nothing other than how to make the largest number of cars move as fast as possible through cities. Their work is judged entirely on car throughput. The design handbook they follow is from the 1960s and is about nothing but car throughput. Their professional certification is granted by organizations that only care about moving cars. And yet we expect those same people to fix our streets.

It's going to take something major to make safe streets something other than an occaisonal special project.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

poo poo like this is why whenever you hear a landscape architect or urban planner use the word "experiential" they should be immediatly fired out of a cannon.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/mcmansionhell/status/1524697629174767616?s=20&t=czZG915S4Tkry4GBnLVobg

I think she's right.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Even if it's fake, who cares? If you agree with a sentiment that will massively improve the lives of lots of people with zero downside since drivers being miserable or not has nothing to do with the outside world, boost it, don't be some Nate Silver rear end nerd

I think boosting STDH posts (or ones that look like it) hurt more than help, frankly.

When people think you're ridiculous or gullible they stop listening to you regardless of how pure your cause is.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Counterpoint: it's Reddit

You have me there.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Was that storefront wearing a helmet and reflective clothing?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Another day, another Tesla Kool-Aid-manning into a building:

https://twitter.com/notjustbikes/status/1525258834809442307?s=20&t=g4qpQf556UqgJk0AJKv-ow

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Small quibble, but if you actually want to lubricate your bike, use actual oil/grease and not WD40. You can used WD40 for the initial cleaning/blasting, but then put real lubricant on.

In other news I read this:
https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a32257789/vehicular-cycling-advocate-john-forester-dies-at-90/
John Forester was right about his opposition to Bike Lanes, AT THE TIME, however it was because he was kind of an idiot, and didn't have the imagination to consider a separate/dedicated bike infrastructure in addition to a revisioned Urban landscape where you didn't have to bike 10+ miles to go to the grocery store.

He really was full of poo poo regardless of what year it was.

I hate to be a "here - watch this three hour youtube video" guy, but since Not Just Bikes was already mentioned, here's an episode of donoteat's podcast where he breaks down exactly how wrong he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm29fd-s7tQ

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'm not against being proved wrong, but surely there is a relevant timestamp in that 2hour and 41minutes rambling podcast that maybe mentions john forester that you could link me to?

If I could do that, it probably wouldn't be a three hour long podcast.

But, the gist of it is that Forrester could imagine things like separated bike lanes - but he was actively opposed to them and worked very hard to get them removed. He believed that riding in traffic with cars was the safest way to cycle and that anyone who can't ride at the speed of traffic among the cars should not be allowed to ride a bike.

He wrote a very poorly researched and reasoned (but very popular) book supporting his ideas which was pretty much directly responsible for why the US has no good cycling infrastructure.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

you saved them from listening to that slog of a pod

Every podcast is a slog to someone.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Being against those kinds of laws seems extremely reasonable to me.

But again - his solution was to be against all bicycle infrastructure. He literally believed that separated bike paths were more dangerous than riding in traffic.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

The other galling thing is that Davis was the first place in california that started building bike paths in the 60s, and even then they were specifically looking at what the Netherlands was doing. Even though Forester pretended to care about safety and pulled out some made up statistics about bike paths being unsafe, he refused to look at what other countries including the Netherlands were doing for literally his entire life.

He did look at what the Netherlands was doing. Sort of.

He used some tortured statistics to compare injury statistics between the wide demographics that biked in the Netherlands (which included children and the elderly) with injury statistics in the very narrow cycling community he knew (which was mostly young athletes) and conclude that dutch style bike paths were more dangerous than riding in traffic.

I can't stress enough - he knew exactly what the options were. He just rejected all of them in favor of imposing the sort of riding he enjoyed onto everyone.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Assuming a high end estimate of 80kg co2 emitted to produce a 600Wh li-ion battery for an ebike, and like 100g of co2 being emitted per full charge to travel like 100km, we can compared that to a 200cc motorbike which produces 12kg of co2 every 100km so... no you're a loving idiot

e. I hosed this up, 100-200kg of co2 emitted per 1kwh battery is for high voltage EV batteries so the battery production emission estimate is way too high

Well, what if your use case is setting off every car alarm on the street when you drive past? Try doing that on a ebike instead of a motorcycle.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

duomo posted:

this sucks too. you have to make two sharp turns to go straight if you're on a bike

At that scale the turns aren't very sharp unless you're blowing through at 30 mph.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

knowing transportation engineers, I can only imagine that this was the only acceptable compromise lmfao

this will surely incentivize a driver to slow down and shoulder check their right side blind spot

:thunk:

I'm sure the engineers will point out that conflicts can't happen because the lane markings show that cars must yield so obviously they can't enter the turn lane when a cycle is present.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The people who usually spend their days complaining about bike lanes in my city have branched out into complaining about curb extensions at intersections because they slow down people making right turns.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

Edit: I also hate how the bar for getting any improvement made for pedestrian safety is so ridiculously high whereas if it was something affecting cars they would probably be out there within 24 hours.

They way I had it explained to me was that it was very easy for cities to build things that comply with their traffic enginnering design manual - which was usually based on 1950s or 60s traffic management philosophy and deals entirely with moving as many cars as quickly as possible through an area. If they want to build a strode they can just do it - it's right there in the list of approved designs.

All the designs that increase pedestrian safety tend to be a lot more modern and not in the official manual, so each one is a special project that requires extra meetings and community input and consultants, etc..

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zerg Mans posted:

the nissan leaf costs $24k

How much does it cost to buy a charging station and a house to install it in?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The electricians that could install an EV charging station in your garage can also install one outside your house.

The point is that the "EVs will fix everything" crowd is forgetting that not everyone lives in the suburbs with a house. If you live in an apartment you're at the mercy of your landlord to install something - unless you don't have an off street parking space in which case you're just hosed.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

The point is that gently caress cars

Always the right answer.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

i say swears online posted:

do dutch cyclists really bike that slow? most non-lycra cyclists i see in the states are in beach cruisers with chop-shop handlebars going 6mph

This guy has a bunch of long videos of rides in the netherlands on his channel that give a good idea of what's going on there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC67YlPrRvsO117gFDM7UePg

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Manhattan was also built without alleys so they can't just keep a dumpster behind the building. If you're not a giant skyscraper with a dedicated trash room in your underground garage, you have no choice but to pile you poo poo up out on the street.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"road violence" is a term I see myself using a lot in the future

I agree. That the Dutch won their transit paridise partly on the back of a traffic safety movement called "stop the child murder."

The language we use to talk about a subject makes a huge difference in how people view it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Someone's about to discover they live in a bubble...

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

So Brisbane is hosting the Olympic games in 2032 and the city is building out a bunch of infrastructure. One of the new additions are these weird electric bus-trams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_VxeKljxEU

One day we're going to find that transportation departments are being paid off by transit youtubers to provide them with material for "look at this lovely gadgetbahn!" videos.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

They're "tiny homes," so it's more important that cars have parking than the people living in them have running water or toilets.

Whenever you see "tiny homes" show up in the conversation, it's 100% about someone frantically searching for a use case for them.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dog Case posted:

Tiny homes would be great if there was actually some sort of infrastructure or accommodation for living in one besides "on a lot that could have a regular home" or "in your parent's back yard"

There's nowhere that building a tiny home would make more senese than building an apartment building or granny flat.

They're only a thing because people are so suburb brained that they can't accept not living in A House. Or maybe also for people who have a fetish for pooping in composting toilets.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

I mean there is one valid point, London transit really is expensive and it is punishing for many working people (as is everything in London). I think it just speaks more about classism than anything.

I don’t get the points about Amsterdam, I don’t get how electric buses and bicycles are affecting equity beyond some neighborhoods needing more service. Also, there is no shortage of pedestrian spaces in Amsterdam, the only issue is some key spots where bike lanes intersect some tourist zones, even then it more of an annoyance (for both sides) than a danger.

Also, there is talk about “equity” in the US and usually it is the exact opposite, almost no funding is given to transit and what few projects that are built have every corner cut on them and usually see minimal maintenance. I guess there is more performance in the states but almost no follow through.

The point about equity in Amsterdam wasn't that the services weren't equitable, but that the city of Amsterdam wasn't holding stuggle sessions on the topic.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

larper posted:

I like that more people are biking. I dislike that ebike riders overwhelmingly have zero sense of etiquette because they didn't ride a bike between age 17 and 50+ and don't get that being overtaken at 25mph on an incline without warning is stressful

the far end of the spectrum is the new coastal bike paths in manhattan... complete chaos

Maybe it's a regional thing, but most of the ebikers I've come across have been just fine.

I think it's too easy to end up like the people who cry about lycra every thread and let confirmation bias lead us to making an enemy of people we should be building solidarity with.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

I guarantee all they think "gee, this lane seems pretty shrimpy"

They think "if I don't park and deliver these packages right now I will get behind schedule and be fired."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah the childish naivety about how laws get enforced in this thread is overwhelming at times. They passed a law here that said you have to give cyclists 3 feet of space when passing and the sheriff held a press conference where he said that the law was stupid and he personally didn't like it and it's unenforceable so 10 years later there have been zero tickets written.

When you talk about how things ought to be a certain way what you're actually saying is that you're begging a bunch of right wing cops to make the world the way you think it ought to be.

Cops suck, but I don't see how making a bunch of changes to bike lanes that restrict whole classes of users like cargo bikes and three wheeled bikes while also making them less pleasand and more dangerous to use really helps us either. If spiting drivers is the only real goal, let's just fence off the entire lane and then stay home and do zwift rides?

Bike lanes are real things in the real world now. That means we're stuck dealing with the hard questions like the police. There's no avoiding it without giving up on the whole project.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just let me go to the Amazon or whatever warehouse myself, go into a little room built on the front of it, beep boop on some kiosk, sit in a chair for a few minutes, and then pick my stuff up at the window when my name is called

I remember department stores that worked like that as late as the 80s. The main floor was just a show room. If you wanted something, you wrote a number down on a piece of paper, took it up to a desk and they would go into the back and bring out your item.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

My favorite bit is where he tries to get Ashton to go away in the pissiest way possible.

Mommy's Sleepy Little Boy posted:

You seem to be getting a bit worked up over this. Why not organize your thoughts and write a blog arguing the opposite case. If it meets my obviously low standards, I’ll cross post it.

Ashton posted:

No

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

eXXon posted:

Yeah, then you get "car plows into children's birthday party" instead, which surely hasn't already happened:

The sidewalk is at least double wide, how the gently caress did he manage to plow straight into the store?? Just mashing the gas from the parking lot across the street?

That's how pedal confusion works. The driver puts their foot down on the gas when they intended to go for the brake, panics, and then keeps mashing on what they think is the brake until they hit something they can't drive through.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

What kind of sick gently caress calls the cops on a lethargic raccoon

Someone afraid of rabies.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

actionjackson posted:

didn't seattle build some giant eight lane road between downtown and the water, what am I thinking of

That's Seattle. They tore down a huge elevated freeway along their waterfront and replaced it with a giant car tunnel plus a large stroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The next time someone says that suburbs can't be fixed to work with transit we need to tell them to go gently caress themselves.

If cities can plow paths through cul-de-sac suburbs to build freeways, then they can be forced to plow them for bus lanes.

https://twitter.com/bsquikle/status/1593336605980303361?s=20&t=swEJVBp55lBrGv7LjF4c0Q