Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

My only contribution to covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

I love the whole WA DOH website so much since it just waves the OMG WE ARE SO VACCINATED bit at the top and then... dum dum dum

Here's my county in SW Washington

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Florida looking more Phallic than usual here

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Local walmart has had open pfizer time slots for weeks now, totally unused. I'm just going to use my name and say I'm eligible for the booster and see what happens.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I really need under 12 vaccinations to be available :(

I mean, we're doing homeschooling this year through a school district program, but I also want my child vaccinated drat it

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

And third dosed. Pretty simple process really

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Doctor posted:

gotta go back to teaching at a canadian uni with an enforced mask mandate mid-September. Right now I got double titters, AZ & Moderna, with my last dose being mid-July. I figure based on what I'm reading in this thread I should use the boost to get thru around January. either way I'm still thinking I'll host my first 2-3 weeks of classes online in case poo poo really hits the fan.

so yea on a scale of 1 to 10 how likely am i to get the cheese lung

right now the cheese is in the fridge, but the pan is being pre-heated to ensure proper melting

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

So glad I stocked up on n95s. Got to share some with someone who needed some, had plenty, felt good

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I decided to work on a game to make people realize how easy it is to catch covid.

This game represents a factory of 250 people. This is full open'r up style with no protections.

They work from 8am-6pm, then they go home. Currently it starts with a single infected person.

each person is randomly generated by age, weight, gender, ethnicity, as dictated by 2020 census data.

A person requires 15 minutes of in game time contact to get infected. Severity of covid is random based on the CDC statistics of how infections progress. It is also modified by age/weight/ethnicity/gender/etc...

People who are "hospitalized" do not count towards the pool or infect others (since they'd be hospitalized)

I'd like to add a thing where you can hover over a person to see their stats, give them a mask, or vaccinate them. A slider for how fast times moves. Maybe add walls? I dunno. I just want people to see how fast it spreads

Color key:
white - nothing
green - mild symptoms
dark green - sick
Yellow - very sick/Hospitalized
Red - ICU
Purple - Dead

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 1, 2021

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

why are dead people still coming to the factory

for the moment just simplicity - I'm just making the spread work properly. Although in an open'r up world dropping dead in the factory would be par for the course! Code wise, they don't spread since they're not supposed to be there - only if they're sick or less.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Bus driver jobs during covid

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I'm sure my little county is doing just fine I...

(hospitalizations since last March)

..ugh

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

My covid simulator is going well

each dot represents a person working in a factory. grey = vaccinated. blue bar = masked.

I had to make some adjustments to the way age was effecting the spread.

I also figured it would be good to assign a random amount of "sick days" to each person. if they get really sick they stay home - this would help to curb covid by quite a bit. Takes longer to spread, but still usually gets out of control

All I can say is drat covid is contagious

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 2, 2021

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

My covid simulator is coming along

I've added rooms. For the most part your people will stay in their section/office/whatever. rarely one or two people will go else where then come back. Its super fun to watch the outbreak stay contained in a room for a few days then spread

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Tei posted:

cool work!

what was that red dot?
In the game when someone is in the ICU they turn red, and if they’re blacked out they’re dead. Hospitalized / dead patients no longer spread Covid (since they’re not supposed to be there) but I like having them on screen as a visual aid :)

I think I do intend on adding graphics to the simulator though, and a proper UI instead

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I started working on some simple graphics for my Covid Simulator. I'll post another gif tonight once I fix some bugs with pathfinding

I also want to make the statistics it uses be on a simple TXT file so people can check my work if they want to be sticklers, or even adjust it themselves

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

space chandeliers posted:

this is fuckin rad! what are you making this with?

Im using unity, but I have a framework called futile which allows me to do it code only

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

"The bourgeoisie is only charitable out of self-interest; giving nothing outright. Making bargains with the poor: 'If I spend this much upon benevolence, I purchase the right not to be troubled any further"

The poor didn't shut up about dying to covid when they received crumbs of money, so now its "learn to live with covid"

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

genericnick posted:

So what does "living with the virus" actually mean?

Open everything up, and accept that a percentage of the population will die, and that a percentage of the population will have "long covid" for the rest of their lives. It just becomes another hazard of living like getting a cold.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Added some more minimalist UI for the covid simulator. I also added the option to mask or vaccinate your character ( don't have any cool sprites for it yet). I also added some little updates in the bottom corner as things go on mostly for fun

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

kreeningsons posted:

def gonna play this

I'm at the point now where I need to start thinking of how to make this little simulator worth playing!

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Actually if anyone wants to mess with the covid simulator, you can

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k06lq0kbxs27hsj/CovidGame.zip?dl=0

Its fixed rez, and Windows only at the moment so sorry about that. Also it'll probably crash or get stuck somewhere or do something weird. Still, fun to play around with.

You can move the screen with WASD, and you can click a character to vaccinate or mask them.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Chamale posted:

If we actually gave a poo poo about children, we would close every restaurant and concert in order to get cases as low as possible so that in-person schooling could be safely open. Instead, lmao

This would have been the perfect time to have a second lock down. Right when the numbers were lowest and potentially containable. But as you said, we don't give a poo poo about children.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Added some more little animations for the disease spreading in my Covid simulator. I think tonight I'm going to step back from coding and creating assets, and just focus on how to make this a really fun sandbox :)

https://i.imgur.com/F38khem.gifv

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Also, Washington numbers are finally updated. I'm sure things are doing well...

oh

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Absolutely disgusting

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

It just floors me that in the last 10+ years we have made the corruption and illegal acts of the world common knowledge, all while witnessing brazen evil happen in real time, all while worker income/rights/QoL has decreased... and it has not spawned an armed uprising to overthrow the system yet. It is shocking how absolutely impotent the common American citizen is - and how willing they are to vote even more of their own power/rights away for petty/frivolous poo poo.

Anyways, if large swaths of the workforce dying to covid (while the rich squeeze more cash) isn't enough to crumble this country, then we're in for a nice empire of misery that lasts until global warming kills everything on this planet.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

John_A_Tallon posted:

If you're holding out for someone else to do it, you're the problem.

Not a bad point

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Stereotype posted:

the police are just an uncontrollable militia, no one can make them do anything if they don't want to. they are like regional warlords. they'll gladly murder politicians or really anyone who makes them mad, a thing they do often and with impunity.
they are incredibly dangerous and "defunding" them is the compromise solution.

Yep. AND they're mostly anti-vax chuds

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Expanded out my controls for my Covid simulator. I intent to add pro/anti-vax aspects to this little sandbox as well

next is probably going to be work stations and room types since its back to the integral to the behavior of this little characters. I also got all the dice rolls that game uses to determine dice rolls by the characters stats - I figure if I'm wayyyy off someone who is better at stats can fix it for me. If they just don't agree with it, they can change it for themselves by changing the txt file

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

antivaxxers are like another type of virus. if they stand near someone there's a small chance they spark up a conversation and convince that person to also be an antivaxxer

there's also a small chance every day they'll OD on horse paste

I ALSO fully intend to add "alternative" medicines (ivermectin included) into the pro/anti vax factions ha ha

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

cr0y posted:

Do you have anti-vax boss Karen's intentionally coughing on things?

Nice work, I'm a computer toucher, I wish I learned how to do creative poo poo with it like this instead of just deploying clusters and telecom poo poo

once I get the core sandbox mechanics rolling I pretty much just want to add "funny" stuff like that.

Also you probably make and have a lot more money than me so dont feel too bad ha ha

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

when do we get to play this

Let me see what I can get done this weekend and maybe soon! I just want to get the core “sand box” type things you can do in so it’s not a boring thing you just stare at in

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Stereotype posted:

skifree but with covid

Skifree but it’s Covid entering the lungs

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Going to try to get the first basic version of the covid simulator operating by the end of the weekend if I can

There are now basic "work stations" (just computers for now) that the characters will go to for work. You can move them around, and you can move the characters around as well.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

rt4 posted:

Is the code available anywhere?

No, I'm too terrible a programmer to share my code :D

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

RC Cola posted:

This is fantastic. What did you write it in out of curiosity?

I'm doing it in Unity, but I'm using a framework called FUTILE which allows me to do it code only

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

space chandeliers posted:

please add a level where kids have to pass through a school sidewalk gauntlet of anti-mask protestors. there should be a line of cops a little ways away "keeping the peace" by standing there and doing nothing. every now and then one of the pigs should cycle out and take the place of a protestor and vice versa.

I think if this ends up not being super boring and lame, I want to set it up where you can choose from a list of "scenarios" that adjusts the layout and stations available. I am DEFINITELY going to be adding dialogue, at least partially tonight

dxt posted:

Can you make a feature where they wear a mask when walking around, but can take them off at their desk? I just want to see how very stupid the whole concept is

This is a good idea. Maybe a cafeteria room?

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Ok another update on Covid Sim. There are now two factions vying for influence - the pro-vax and anti-vax factions. Eventually one will gain the upper hand in each room. Hanging signs adjusted the influence in that area. Usually around 5-7 days for influence to take hold.

There is a small chance a character will get vaxxed on their own. A character who turns pro-vax is more likely to get vaccinated. A character who is anti-vax has a 0% chance to get vaccinated on their own.

I'm going to take a break now i think, but I might pick it up again later tonight for small things that come across my mind as I think of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

decided to splurge some of my dev time today to make a title screen