Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone else really enjoying ads on the subway lately?

"The new quickly becomes the new normal"

lol

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

kater posted:

These aspects are important to distinguish, because a person can be pessimist concerning climate change as an unmitigated or poorly mitigated process and optimist concerning mitigation of climate change, and be pessimist concerning one mitigation measure and optimist concerning another specific concerning and be pessimist process mitigated concerns and be optimist within, the process or within changed concerning mitigation climate, or be climate within process pessimist climate optimist concern mitigate pessimist climate climate pessimist mitigate change concern change concern pessimist pertaining prsismyisy dual change unmitigated poorly concern.

Yes...?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

again if they rebuild the pipeline, blowing it up is worse than just leaving it be for the environment.

only if blowing up the pipeline results in reduction in *consumption* does it actually help the climate. making TX natural gas winners and ND natural gas losers doesnt even help, its still worse than doing nothing.

So it's more of a coordination issue then

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

Idea i just had: citizen science for climate change. I'm coming to terms with the end of my career as a chemical engineer working in the oil and gas industry. I quit my job because I couldn't handle helping companies produce more oil and i don't think I'm going to get another one. But what to do now?

What if you did like brown Moses, except without NED and CIA backing, and for climate change? Citizen science models of how hosed we are, how direct air carbon capture is bullshit, how renewable energy is bullshit, etc...

Of course BM is all about grift. What I am proposing will never get funding. But still it could be cool. I don't know just spit balling here. Any thoughts?

How much would this bite into my crypto mining?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The first dome will probably be a failed experiment, I'm waiting for the iDome 3 or 4 at least.

iDome 1 will cut your water rations and oxygen content when iDome 2 comes out.

Dont be rediculous, they'll slowly change the CO2/oxygen ratio patch by patch until your head is simply to slow to not upgrade to iDome 5s(s for small).

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Cloks posted:

i believe the more traditional desolate waste treat is a can of coke, shared with your son who's never tried it

Unless you find a survivalist bunker cause then it's all Vitamin water

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Got showed an article celebrating that Tunas are swimming into the Baltic sea again. The Baltic is pretty much dead already and they're going there to find food.

Lol

Lmao

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
I don't want to be a good boy and just adapt. I wanna go around punching people in the face as they exits their cars. I just wanna shout I DID IT FOR THE CLIMATE as they try to figure out what just happened.

I know it wouldn't do any difference and it would only be bad for both me and whatever generally innocent person i punched and i won't do it, but goddamn if i don't want to punch that loving rear end in a top hat who lives in a $4m home and drives their 4x4 "pickup" the 500m to pick up their kid from school in literally the safest area in the country.

I just really really really want to punch them.

I won't. But I want to.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
That's what it feels like coming into this thread sometimes so i think I got that covered.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Really dislike bananas but work around wealthy homes all the time with a good cover for having fruit on me. This could work.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Must be a whole lot of people who genuinely would do this though. I could see Greta becoming a unabananer. Like that American life episode but its the rich kid who crack/pings but breaks through layers of power in liberal democracy cracking and pinging all along the way. Must be a ton of true believers of neoliberal democracies who ends up in the NGO grift circuit and cracks when faces with the inertia and disinterest. I doubt they'll turn to violent stuff once they come to an acceptance, but petty revenge seems to be a(nowadays anyways) hard-coded human response.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

bedpan posted:

aviation fuel is still leaded

lmao

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
extra funny cause its the wealthies that continually insist on my citys airport remaining cause its a "business airport" but its almost only wealthy areas surrounding it

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Even if some humans somehow survive the eco collapse, there's gonna be that scene from Wall-E where he finds a plant, except instead of going on an epic adventure to make sure it survives the human is just going to take a big bite(and then probably spit it out) and then keep rummaging through the trash

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Dolphin posted:

what if we all just lived on the surface of Venus. momentarily.

I will volunteer to go to Venus and find out just how long a human can survive there. I'll scream all the way down so you can time it.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

i'm ok with becoming stupid(er) from oxygen starvation
it should make the end of the world a lot less stressful

"I heard they ate the last fish last week, it was a dolphin they'd kept alive on the Faroe islands"

"... ... Uuuh... I had something for this.. eehhm... *checks notes" ah.. lol, lmao."

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Also it's gonna turn out the garbage patch was our best option to contain the plastic and we're doing the equivalent of a bunch of extremely hungry racoons not finding any food in a garbage can.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

It is a cruelty that microplastics in everything didn't turn us all into himbos and bimbos. Instead we get dead oceans and dysphoria.

Kept hearing of plastic surgery all my life but it turns out it's just plastic interrupting my brain functions with surgical precision.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
What if birds aren't singing, they're screaming.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

just throw em down the oil wells and depleted mines

:hmmyes: and then in a few millions years we'll have new oil to burn

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Car Hater posted:

The constant brrrrrrrr sound of wheels on pavement is the replacement for the sounds of living things

E; heehee we literally rubbed ourselves out, what a bunch of wankers :iiaca:

lmao

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The most frustrating part about the population discussion is that the only argument that almost everyone considers valid is whether or not we can feed all the people we have and not the incredible destruction we wreak upon everything else just to build and sustain habitats for us. Even a relatively clean and green civilization still destroys huge amounts of other animals habitat just from sheer scale alone.

I don't care if we could feed 20 billion people. I don't want 20 billion people on the planet occupying 20 billion people's worth of space to the exclusion of everything else.

My idea world population is about a hundred million spread out into maybe a thousand towns and cities. Why do we need so many people? To what end?

but have you considered 5 billion on earth and maybe 15 billion on mars? hmm?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
probably been posted before but whatever, its good and vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZeJr5ppm8

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Unless posted:

today’s mail call was worth

lol, had this book been mentioned here before?

I had these thoughts a few days ago while watching a random bad zombie video.

I dont think many books were written about doomsday stuff pre-industrialization(outside of religious contexts anyway) while nearly every major franchise these days is either a complete dream world(Marvel/DC) with doomsday flavoring, or just full out doomsday scenarios with various trends(zombies, climate, asteroids, nukes, big rear end monsters appearing from other realms/aliens).

Anyway, further proof ive never had nor will ever have an original thought.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Swallowing a gallon of paint on my deathbed and striking a pose, for the alien visitors

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
the ending was cheapened by the idea that escape was possible, the colony ship shouldve just been destroyed flying into a bit of earth as it was trying to leave. or it landing and every single cryopod has failed and everyone is mush

was also missing a "community action" angle, like "we need to throw a big rear end piece of iron at it or it wont work so we need your, yes Your, pots and pans" and have people cheat at doing their part cause its minuscule compared to the whole thing.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

Escape was impossible and the colony is doomed. They're all too old to have kids and they don't appear to have any means of building anything or even protecting themselves from the native life. It just enhances the message - even the people who think they're smart enough to escape will fail

yeah but they couldve included people with the right skill sets, and billionaires today are doing that whole "how do we do servants?" thing. I just though the ending makes it seem like a plausible survival plan and kinda nudges towards musk/bezos being competent, when the idea itself, risk earth but have a private backup plan, is dumb at the core so it shouldnt even have been presented as plausible.

I get the gag though, its the punchline set up earlier.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Alobar posted:

i loving hate ikea. and their furniture. and people who buy poo poo from ikea. what a terrible loving store.

dont forget it was founded by a nazi

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the amount of energy required to melt ice is not insignificant

theres a whole bunch of it stored in the atmosphere ready to do the job

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Kicked Throat posted:

Let's stop all c02 emissions overnight and see what happens

:yeah:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Too Many Birds posted:

i swear to god i thought i was but i keep loving up

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

it's not. its one of those predicted to become nearly-extinct by people decades ago. and it's happening now. brazil is the largest exporter at like over 1/3rd the world production and with crops hitting 90% complete death, that's a loving lot. and probably isn't going to get better with their extended drought. another large % comes from colombia that had like leaf rot and also extended ongoing drought and loss of crops.

vietnam i think is fairly stable and does produce a lot with relatively okay precipitation, it'll probably become the biggest exporter after brazil's industry collapses. indonesia is probably the 4th largest which likewise is doing badly with droughts and rot. ethiopia is the last major one and likewise doing bad.

there will probably be some small farms in other countries that are doing okay but not nearly enough for the world consumption and prices are gunna skyrocket big time.

unfortunately coffee doesn't last forever so stocking up doesn't help, but do expect to see massive price hikes and coffee shortages soon

im sure theres a lad hungry to earn a buck somewhere out there that will figure something out, im not worried.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
things you dont want to be the last man to hold on to:

Coffee
Nicotine
Heroin
Fentanyl

probably in that order

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

ughhhh posted:

Either way, anyone have some good music to go along with the weird melancholia that's permeating everything these days? There is always the Bo Burnham classic That Funny Feeling, or God Speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZeJr5ppm8

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

god hole didn't take their phone to the store, that was the whole point of the story. so it's not lightbulbs or gps or whatever.

anyway between the app developers, the hardware manufacturers, and the intelligence agencies with chip-level backdoors, anything connected to the internet is absolutely spying on you all the time. the "good" news is that 99.99% of it is just being done to sell you poo poo more effectively.

there's zero regulation on this, and it's not just some nebulous "they" doing it - detailed worldwide gps data can be bought on the commercial market from a dozen different vendors. i've worked with this data at an unremarkable mid-level consultancy. it's "anonymized" in that the deviceid is hashed, and the terms & conditions ask you pretty please not to de-anonymize it, but it's trivial to do once you have it.

so theres not really that much stopping a bunch of individuals from just buying the gps data of [demographic] and then de-anonymize and release day by day goings of said demographic?

sounds like a project

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I love poo poo like this because it means earth could fly out of it's orbit and crash into Jupiter or something and we could never predict it

stop giving me hope, its very cruel

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Mods are cowards
bring on the billions of dead

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Chamale posted:

Can someone please quote the post about how being alive right now is like being a tuberculosis bacterium at the moment the host's lungs overflow with fluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
i volunteer as Rime IK

I will read all their posts and only probe for those that are racist or paint china as dystopian(which is racist)