Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

Extrapolations aired its season finale a few days ago.

A hit-or-miss show, with mostly misses in my opinion. But episode 5 was enough of a hit to almost make up for it, I highly recommend it even if you don't watch any other episodes.

Unfortunately the show got a bit too distracted with highly speculative future tech that didn't have much to do with climate change, like memory deletion and mind uploads (insert your roll-eyes emoji here). And even the future tech that was relevant to climate change was a bit deus ex machina. The final episode referred to CCS and presented it as wildly successful, without giving any hints as to how it might work ("My carbon capture machine is just out of frame, sequestering carbon"). I guess it's taking the Star Trek approach of "well, if we explain how it works, it'll be too obviously bullshit".

Aside from that, the characters were a little bit too Good or Evil, with little nuance. And the final episode, I think, tried to make some sort of point about capitalism and ethical consumption, but it was incoherent, at least to me.

They had an incredible cast, and obviously a lot of budget, but they ruined it with extremely lib brained writing. The peak for me was also episode 5 as you say, since it showed India and poor people and the outdoors instead of comfortable westerners sitting indoors looking sad about climate change apparently happening off-camera.

Also sometimes it would like use a text crawl to announce the year is 50 years in the future and then the text would say "number of people displaced by climate change: 2 million" as though that's a statement with gravitas. I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember every time thinking "there are probably more people displaced by climate change than that right now".

It's odd because the writers did seem to know what climate change is. Like they don't just think it means the sea level will slowly rise or whatever, at one point Ed Norton's character even mentions positive feedback loops. But it's like they flinched and couldn't go all the way so most of the episodes were incredibly milquetoast and yeah, too focused on Black Mirror poo poo.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The trailer for the Pipeline movie looks really good

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Not to be contrarian, but if FTL travel is impossible (and I believe it is), this is simply untrue.

The universe is unfathomably vast. There could be thousands of other civilizations spread throughout and we'd never know.

The Milky Way has had the elements necessary for life for billions of years. You don't need FTL to colonise a galaxy if you have billions of years.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zodium posted:

capitalist realism is the obvious solution to the fermi paradox, and the great filter is a very stupid one. looking for signs of civilization as we know it and scratching our heads at finding nothing is no paradox at all--it might not have been completely unreasonable when enrico fermi came up with it in 1950, but it makes no sense today.

Zodium posted:

it almost goes without saying that the great filter was conceived of by an economist.

But what you're doing here is proposing capitalist realism as a great filter. Which is possible. Bleak as gently caress, because it would imply that even with the sample size of a galaxy, communism wasn't possible.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Depending on how you feel about the Dyson Dilemma, the sample size could be the entire visible universe.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

4d3d3d posted:

A climate optimist is just a denialist who could no longer deny because it's so blindingly obvious. I know people will deny they're sick with something even as it kills them but even the coal rollin' boys have a limit sometimes

Climate optimists have passed the denial stage of climate change, they're stuck on the fourth stage; bargaining

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ssthalar posted:

Amusingly, according to quantum mechanics, we're technically changing the world simply by observing it.
... Of course, whether that change is for better or worse, who can tell. :shrug:

Now where did i put those boxes of cats...
I should get an Orb to ponder, that would be dope.

quote:

Despite the "observer effect" in the double-slit experiment being caused by the presence of an electronic detector, the experiment's results have been interpreted by some to suggest that a conscious mind can directly affect reality.[3] However, the need for the "observer" to be conscious (versus merely existent, as in a unicellular microorganism) is not supported by scientific research, and has been pointed out as a misconception rooted in a poor understanding of the quantum wave function ψ and the quantum measurement process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Homeless Friend posted:

to be sure, matt christmans 30 years war podcast was 100% timely lol. i got to the end yesterday and its like yup. we're in the middle where we can't point to the start or the end, and are waiting to see where the pieces fall. how these contractions are if not solved then funneled into a workable solution. of course c-spam, as the nominal communism forum, is like heh heh heh communism will win but we truly have no idea. thats why 'go and do something about it' falls on deaf ears. its like telling somebody to go push a cloud. vs organizing at your job where pros and cons are direct.

Amos: Ain’t nothing to do with me: we’re just caught in the Churn, that’s all.
Kenzo: I have no idea what you just said.
Amos: This boss I used to work for in Baltimore, he called it the Churn. When the rules of the game change.
Kenzo: What game?
Amos: The only game. Survival. When the jungle tears itself down and builds itself into something new. Guys like you and me, we end up dead. Doesn’t really mean anything. Or, if we happen to live through it, well that doesn’t mean anything either.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Last time I looked into it hydrogen would need a revolution in materials technology for mass scale storage to be feasible, not to mention sourcing enough electricity to crack that much water

Physics is cold, harsh, and unforgiving, but Chemistry cares about us even less and has less room to negotiate, Hydrogen is incredibly difficult to store because it loves bonding/reacting with other elements.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Apr 27, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It would be even harder to store if it was stable alone. Since it is lighter than Helium.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

On the one hand you have 200 years of humans waking up very early and working very hard to gently caress up the planet. Literally tens of billions of people producing trillions of "dollars" worth of "GDP".

On the other hand you have "green" hydrogen.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What really makes it this thread is that that never happened but people pretend it did because it's funnier

Has that been proven, I'm interested. Show me the pyroclastic masturbation analysis.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What's a good way of fossilising myself? Maybe if I jerk off in some quicksand?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I read about 10 of the Paul Chefurka articles today, hadn't heard of him before.

lol, lmao

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

tf is this

help help i'm trapped in a web and can't perceive my way out

That's what it is, you got it. As individuals we kinda do make decisions in a way but not really, but as a whole, we're like a fluid, and we move into the least resistance, maximising entropy. Free will is blah blah you get it

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Osv18 posted:

fair enough. I am 100% a crank.

I like to think I'm more of a lever, or maybe a gear.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ruggan posted:

ok, scrap that

next idea: nuclear powered space garbage guns. we can shoot garbage into the sun with nuclear power and that includes the nuclear waste too. the sun is huge so it should handle our little garbage patch nbd. thoughts?

We're orbiting the Sun at 108,000 km/h and you would need get to 108,000 km/h in the opposite direction to counteract that and "fall" into the Sun.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I probably described that wrong but I'm still right, in the spirit of it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Our first contact with aliens will just be us finding a big garbage bag.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

And being asked to get in it?

Are you telling me to get in the bin?

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 22:57 on May 13, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zodium posted:

the sun is an alien waging thermodynamic war on earth

Maybe if we allowed one person to own the Sun. Then they could profit from it directly. Capital could finally be appeased.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

4d3d3d posted:

I think they felt justified in new oil exploration (among other things) because of the IRA, which was met with a lot of empty-headed triumphalism. Political capital

I thought Biden was just playing up the whole having Irish ancestry thing, I didn't know he's digging for oil with the IRA.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Koirhor posted:

I am completely convinced that capitalism is the great filter and that humanity will just be another failed species among millions of others in the universe. Just enjoy what you can while you can I guess.

This guys page was linked in the thread a while back, you may have read this article but if not check it out:

http://www.paulchefurka.ca/Fermi.html

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

:hmmyes: Looks like a good deal

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Soul Psychology is probably just "lol. lmao" but with extra steps

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You're just jealous that I have a profoundly quiet mind

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Even if they gave us back $5.4 trillion, what are we gonna do, buy a new biosphere? Whatever price they put on it is stupid.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cold on a Cob posted:

if i still played games i'd play the gently caress out of a reboot of fallout centered around a climate apocalypse where the usa and china go nuts with crispr instead of atomic energy + weaponry

Chinese supersoldiers invading California by simply swimming across the Pacific

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Eraflure posted:

Not apocalyptic enough. Have them waddle across the Pacific Puddle

The Pacific will be bigger, wider, more acidic, everything will be dead, etc. Also apparently loving diagonal or some poo poo according to that El Nino stuff. That's apocalyptic.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm trying to explain to a friend about how the IPCC are super hosed up. Created by Ronald Reagan, lead by people whose qualifications are in Economics or Engineering etc, and whose previous work experience is in working for Exxon-Mobil.

Does anyone have sources or information that can help me in this? Beyond the obvious stuff that's on the IPCC Wikipedia article. More about how they've been captured by Capital at every stage since.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 22:39 on May 28, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MightyBigMinus posted:

the ipcc is good and you are a dumbass making poo poo up

Which part of my post was made up? Who is the current chair of the IPCC, and was Ronald Reagan instrumental in its creation because he cared so much about the environment? Like I literally took my information for that post from Wikipedia, which isn't rigorous research, but it's not something I just invented out of thin air.

Trabisnikof posted:

The politicization comes in from how questions are framed and which sections get elevated to the Summary for Policymakers and thus get reported to the media at all.

Thanks, this makes sense.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

Lol old spice rolled out deoderant in paper compostable tubes and already discontinued them.

Spray or roll?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MightyBigMinus posted:

doing a surface skim of a page or two on wikipedia and then dismissing the entire org based on two lines is *exactly* what makes you a dumbass. that is the signature pattern of a stupid person looking for the most threadbare justification they can find for their contrarian spit take. this isnt even an ipcc thing, this is a you being a poo poo thinker/poster thing.

#1 - the chair of the ipcc graduted with his phd in 1975 and worked for three years as an economist at exxon mobile. IN THE SEVENTIES. in 1992 he joined the ipcc and has worked there now for twenty+ years. for you to dismiss him as an "exxonmobile economist" is a genuinely stupid take. a perfect example of using vague keyword association because you lack any actual understanding of a subject.

#2 - raygun gave zero shits and had zero involvement in the ipcc. just because something happens during a presidential administration doesn't mean the president did it. another very typical stupid opinion pattern.

this really isn't about the ipcc, its about you trying to pretend you're smarter than and can therefore be dismissive of the single most authoritative organization on a given topic because you skimmed wikipedia.

I didn't think I'm smarter than them, I thought their goals have been subverted. Trabisnikof already posted a great explanation to me about how the political process can obscure the science.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Puppy Burner posted:

You need a straw? Are you a toddler? Little baby can't hold a glass?

Disabled people can need straws.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

RadiRoot posted:

seems bad

There's only one way to stop these fires. Cut down every tree and sell them for profit.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

celadon posted:

so if everything is happening faster than expected, is it the sort of deal where 10 things being 10% faster makes the whole system go 10% faster, like they all are in parallel, or like 10 things being 10% faster is 1.1^10 = 2.6x faster. cause if all the catastrophes are synergizing it will get stupid really fast

Even when you know it's going to happen faster than you expected, and you try to factor that into a new expectation. It will still happen faster than expected.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 22:53 on May 29, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zodium posted:

planning to read a book free of ideological tint. any ideas?

Maybe a cookbook? Wait, no. Perhaps a survival cookbook that is purely based on material conditions in your life and death situation? There's no ideology in eating worms and drinking your own piss.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

cum jabbar posted:

survival strategy is an ideology for bald guys

Isn't that more a power fantasy of having a bunker with a food supply etc while everyone else dies?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Koirhor posted:

meanwhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2v1mPRBimw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Soggy Muffin posted:

When I was a baby I only drank water, been only drinking water for 38 years now. Now I’m gonna have to stick to milk of the cow once the water goes away, just all milk

A man carries a goat across a wasteland, suckling on its teat.