Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Hubbert posted:

We should always be asking ourselves that question; critical re-assessment and reflection is always a good thing. I personally thought we'd be in a 1970s-style oil crisis by now, and yet, here I still am with egg on my face.

Except that we were. Fossil fuel production was facing an imminent catastrophic supply/demand mismatch until the emergence of fracking and alternative oil drilling methods enabled us to change when and where we extract crude hydrocarbons. You didn’t get your “told you so” moment because similar to the Y2K software issue, the very real crisis you were observing was met with actions that actually subverted the threat. Unlike switching date codes in a computer however, we cannot repeat the fracking trick. Once all the reachable crude dries up, there will be no moving on to greener pastures oil rich deserts. Just because the fossil fuel crisis didn’t shut the lights off for us doesn’t mean it can’t and won’t do it to your kids if they’re still around by then.

As for the matter of practicing honest self reflection to ensure that your brain doesn’t melt inside of a climate despair echo chamber, this is very good advice and is the main element that factors into the social stigma I have suffered in talking about these topics with close friends and colleagues who are usually otherwise onboard with these issues.

Like, “No buddy, I’m not running around like chicken little prophesizing to you the exact date that the sky will fall. You aren’t getting my emotionally driven hysterical response. You are receiving an opinion on the matter which is a RESULT of the amount of time I have spent reflecting upon the available information and its implications. It is you who is responding emotionally in your unflinching denial to even briefly consider that what I’m saying might be a rational conclusion”.

Out entire global population has been conditioned by propaganda to believe that any argument we hear which emotionally charges us must be inherently dismissible because if it were true it would be more ‘boring’. We are all walking versions of the r/nothingeverhappens subreddit, ready to dismiss anything and believe in nothing.

I’m not a soothsayer and I have no idea what specific shape the future takes, because I don’t care that’s stupid. I can look at its general outline and tell it’s completely hosed. Because the present is currently hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Stereotype posted:

im not crazy, im laughing actually. would a crazy person be laughing this much??

https://imgur.com/a/XbLvTli

omg he is literally me

e: I guess imgur blocks embedding on these here forums

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Stereotype posted:

the mobile link the app gives you doesn’t work, or at least I don’t know how to get the bbcode link from my phone. on desktop it gives you more share options.

I used the img /img code and it worked, my post just showed up as a blank post so I assumed Imgur is not an acceptable host for SA forums and maybe yous guys had resurrected waffleimages or something since I had last been here

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

starkebn posted:

My most helpful crack-ping was accepting that there isn't any "normal". The universe is a giant cause effect engine run by physics we barely understand, but what we consider "normal" on Earth has just been a steady state / slow rate of change that we happened to evolve into. So "normal" is the biosphere we're comfortable in, but the universe doesn't care if the Earth changes into Venus or Mars, we can gnash our teeth and stamp our feet and it's going to happen depending on the energy flow.

We've converted a hell of a lot of energy that was underground into energy that is in the air and water - where we go from here is just the consequences of thermodynamics.

You’re so right. To expand upon what you said:

When I was a very headstrong but curious kid in a terrible environment the most helpful reflection I had about this realization you speak of is that if you not only openly express it, but dare to demonstrate via attitude and spoken word that you are in-fact completely at peace with said belief, you will mortify every weakling around you and they will reflexively label you a nihilist and that’s that. You are forever excluded from being in their good graces. Asocial dorks (have I incessantly mentioned Elon Musk yet?) like to think of humans as being meat computers, but the truth is that we are much closer to being meat cellos always seeking our quartet. Sometimes we can get impressively close to perfect harmonization but more often than not we sound a little off key to each other, increasingly so as we struggle to be “the one” who directs our music. If the ultimate underpinning of our reality is that it is noisy particle soup with no meaning but what we assign it and you, being the arrogant little chimp that you are open your mouth to confess as such, all other people are going to hear is the terrifying static of that particle soup. And they will do ANYTHING to shut it up.

ooooo Aaa Aa monkey only like E major
*eats booger* every monkey know E major holy ooo oo oo only like song with simple chord aaga aga why this other monkey play some weird diminished discordant sound ooo OOOO MONKEY START TO GET MAD eee ee ee weird sounding monkey find this funny this only make MONKEY GET MADDER AGAGA OOO OO

The monkeys have difficulty wrapping their head around the notion that their “higher power” is a conceptual thing that resides in all things. That there is no supreme authority to defer to because we are all gods, all eight billion of us bless our moronic souls, because of course anything with sentience is. Power emanates from the center of all you can touch, it is not handed down from on high and it is entirely up to you to learn how to sense it in every instance. If you don’t care to, then that’s really all there is to it and whatever you neglect might as well pop out of existence like Schrödinger’s cat because after all you are quite literally the center of the universe, and as God you decree it ain’t part of yours. If you take issue with this definition of godhood I ask you: what else could persistence hunt a ten thousand mile wide magic orb to its knees until there is nothing left but its silicon carcass?

Anyway this is all to say that the only way to make peace with this existence is to ride that cause and effect engine however you goddamn well please so long as you can accept that it will ride you back with similar disregard. Let that particle soup flow through you like a manifold and don’t be afraid to open and close some valves of your choosing.

Stay godly out there brother

*adjusts his fedora and peacoat and walks toward the sunset carrying two crossed swords on his back*

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

sir this is a wendys

You’re so right. To expand upon what you said:

When I was a headstrong but horny kid in a terrible wendys the most useful realization I had about wanting to gently caress the baconator was

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Unless posted:

we’ll get AI good enough to predict climate change, not good enough to fix it

We won’t get either, honestly. Unless you want grok to predict which entrance of your house the black blob on the Doppler is currently blasting it’s hot humid load into

oh so it’s cool when iggy pop does it but all I get are stares

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 11:16 on Mar 26, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I feel like everyone just stopped learning anything about thermodynamics at that university, because their brief was to make airliners still viable when the fossil fuels get too expensive and people notice climate change.

because people start doing blow at younger and younger ages each generation before hitting up businesses college, so this is the corporate strategy we inherited from one sober but solipsistic piece of poo poo four generations of business grandpa ago and it’s the strategy we will be stuck with forever after as the newer generations of brainrotted wannabe financial illuminati stay too busy sucking andrew tate’s cum through their phone screens to ever come up with an original idea that can’t be found scribbled on the whiteboard of an econ 101 class. if one wants to frame it as an issue of regulatory pressure instead, this same shitpost applies with very few words changed because who do you think owns the regulatory agencies :pepsi:

Not suggesting you don’t think about these things, just avin’ a laff. I think someone would be tempted to refute the above by explaining that fixing problems doesn’t make companies money. Thats paradoxically true in our current paradigm but then again there happens to be a lot of money in not dying.

my theory is that their brains atrophied until they stopped caring about money or dying because the ownership class is all experiencing intense shared delusions

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

The option for people to not fly so much is not suggested. It’s instead for a university to have trucks of cash shipped to it to finally realise that, actually, hydrogen powering your EasyJet to the Costa del Sol is not realistic.

Degrowth? In my vagina?

jk but no really one of my favorite kinds of arguments is when you tell someone a solution to a problem in human society (consume less, brah)
and they tell you that the free market will correct for it and fix it. Had a best friend do this to me over this exact issue

like my man, if by ‘free market correction’ you mean ‘the physical laws of nature will force us to stop flying’ you are now one hundo percent on board with this idea I have called stop loving flying so much

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Given no one has made an even halfway useful and economical hydrogen fuel cell powered car, and that’s a relative cakewalk to a cryo-hydrogen Airbus, I think this will be quietly shelved despite the local news spending ten minutes on it.

good god the hydrogen poo poo. the aforementioned friend more or less screamed at me for providing even minor pushback in insisting that aviation biofuels and hydrogen fuels are an absolute snake oil of an idea and that he probably shouldn’t invest his money nor feelings of hope into them. this was seen as doomerism, and clearly doomerism is inherently wrong because ick. duder was so cocksure of the fact that my opinion was stupid because he had been an AMT repair man for 6 months and obviously this was his lane now, not mine.

I figured out why he was so obscenely angry with this past interaction when several companies later all but came out and said “yeah our investments into alternative fuels were just tax relief scams lol suck it plebs” and pulled out. turned out he had stuck some money into stuff related to biofuels in hopes of it moonshotting so he could escape being a wagecuck like the rest of us :dumbbravo:

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Canada can't murder enough* poor people outta its way to stop this but the rcmp report sure seems to imply its going to be their policy to try*!

here you go bubbles I reconfuckulated your post

Nix Panicus posted:

Getting a week's worth of rain in one hour bursts is probably really great for keeping the sewer systems clean, actually

how else you sposed to wash out the mud of the thousand lonely suicides

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Mar 27, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

starkebn posted:

Can you please stop editing your posts to reply to people who posted after you and just post after them like a normal person.

Or are you posting so fast it's appearing out of sync in the feed?

can’t recall which but I ’ve either been in other forums where that was discouraged so that you don’t have a disproportionate amount of posts from one talkative user on thread pages, or it was discouraged here a long time ago so that’s why I was doing it. the obvious solution is for me to post less

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Hubbert posted:

I personally don't understand how they were able to get approvals to build without a survey plan. It's one of the most basic requirements for development.

haole finders keepers keepers law means you can just toss a costco rotisserie chicken into the air and wherever it lands is yours

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Salt Fish posted:

There is no magic button that trades "no more eating pocky in wisconsin" for global warming beng solved.

there is, it’s called a trigger. if everyone pushed it 30 years ago global warming would have been solved

anyways I wonder what the church of euthanasia is up to these days

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Tiger Crazy posted:

Everyone in this thread is wrong it is Command and Conquer Tiberian sun. You have a fascist group and neo liberals fighting over Tiberium (oil)during an ecological collapse caused by the Tiberium.

we are just making earth more habitable for the scrin lizard people and in that way humanity is just being considerate like a true bro

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Taima posted:

idk if this is just me but as things have gotten very obviously bad, people are switching their take from "climate change isn't real and/or a big deal" to "why are you saying mean things so much, it's a bummer"

not sure where I'm going with this, just something that I notice a lot :shrug: you really can't win with people. The last humans on the last life raft in the last acidified ocean will die arguing about if climate change is real lol

funny thing is for me, with the exception of one, it’s only my male friends that couldn’t grow the gently caress up and face facts and would struggle to see how it’s important for me to talk about this in realistic terms. they tend to respond to conversations about it as if realistic outlooks are couched in a hysterical mindset as opposed to a very apparent frustration at the psychological damage caused by being constantly shutdown by toxic positivity and “the new denialism”

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Mar 29, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Taima posted:

How do you even conduct hurricane preparedness if this is what the future holds?

you drop three Chris Kyle’s on the astrodome and put them to work, what other preparation do you need?

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Spaced God posted:

*Chrises Kyle

Ruth’s Chrises Kyle: Now with three extra snipers atop the spinning restaurant

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
all of the games you guys have mentioned are non political shut the gently caress up losers

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

frozenphil posted:

Eve Online
Corporations wage war for resources and destroy entire moons and civilizations to make number go up for a handful of robber barons.

Dune but without the FTL wormgrubs

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

mags posted:

*trying to outsmart me*

fallout is apolitical and has no themes and the Amazon showrunners clearly agree with me so ha nice try

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I love this one, because it’s invariably “look at your smartphone and tell me you don’t believe” as if this one facet, semiconductor miniaturisation, applies to anything else.

the CES keynote for the rabbit r1 was pretty amazing for this.

“we stacked an awful smartphone on top of your awful smartphone so that you don’t have to use your awful smartphone. oneclick ordering Pizza Hut via AI is the future. why are you laughing at me I’m right”

but the audience never laughs because it’s always made up of silicon suckers who will dump endless cash into anything so long as it promises to make them rich, regardless of whether or not the product is essentially landfill bait and they’re only paying for the privilege to accelerate our demise.

tech bros are the only true accelerationists because they have the capital to finance such a philosophy. they should go green by cutting out the middle man and giving these startups their money for free, no strings attached

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Mar 30, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Fell Mood posted:

You poor fool. Remember your mantra and say it with me now. Always more and always worse.

the r/collapse Reddit people use “faster than expected” to parody the doublespeak that often appears in headlines.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Complications posted:

I know! It's so exciting. We're about to learn more about the climate and Earth's extinction cycle than our ancestors would've ever dreamed of even a couple of centuries ago.

did your ancestors not have dark souls III? were they stupid?

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Microplastics posted:

I much less enjoyed this snippet I however

If we all email this person and tell them to overdose without having a hit of narcan on hand, could this be considered “small personal actions leading to collective action”?

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

they really ended on the most boring libbrain note with that show, completely forgetting their entire setup. I’m glad a handful of belters got a seat at the interplanetary UN to help continue their own exploitation with #bossbitch energy, but how do you loving forget the entire alien conspiracy angle???

I’m assuming the books were better about this

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

They knew they were only getting six seasons despite Bezos saving the show and being a fan (guessing he wanted the chump change to give closure to the Protomolecule arc for his personal Buck Rogers adventures), and so they focused on the civil war. The stuff alluded to on the colony world with weird alien stuff is only explained in the novels post-Marco, so I need to read them to finish the story. But yes, it would be like doing GoT and ignoring the White Walkers and never giving any ending to that Outside Context Problem. Actually, that may have been the better ending…

We’re lucky it didn’t just end at S3 when SyFy realised good telly costs money and forgot what Neo-BSG won them. Wrestling more lucrative, I guess.

Hmm. I vaguely knew about the corporate politics struggles the show went through, but thanks for elaborating on it.

I liked most of the performances (I laughed myself into conniptions at how they unceremoniously iced the actor who turned out to be a sex pest) and thought the show had some cool treatment of the tech stuff, but other than the old pirate guy I started to feel like it had lost its welcome with me as it limped to the finish line. I’m also just a curmudgeon so there’s that

poo poo this isn’t TV IV um line go up faster than expected Venus by Tuesday you love to see it (joke aside this thread seems to focus more on EEI/global warming than actual biosphere collapse numbers. minor nitpick)

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

kaxman posted:

And the transport union wasn't part of the UN...there wasn't even an interplanetary UN at all. The UN was just earth.

You got what I meant though. Token representation.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Only way to stop CLIMATE CHANGE.

Sorry but the Dino is currently too busy Unnazifying Ukraine to do anything about the climate.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
is there an origin to the whole “treats” thing because it’s hilarious and anyone can tell at a glance what sort of mindset it’s patronizing, but I feel out of the loop

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
god dang that sounds like a Jan and Wayne Skylar married news team piece

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

a very presidential speech

these once in a lifetime inflection points that only happen every six or seven generations are getting harder and harder to deal with every four years

we live in a Joseph Heller novel but Sleepy Joe fell asleep on the electric typewriter after too many treats and so everything just reads as “zzzzzzzz”

also loving lol @ asking Putin to give two shits and a gently caress about GHG’s. why would Biden do that, is he stupid?

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
no because that idiot pundit still has the functional excuse of “this dumb outrage bait is what my even dumber audience wants to see”

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Hubbert posted:

please do not craft artisanal drug-laced jenkem from the sewer outflows

Jenkem isn’t real you idiot

it’s the pee that gets you high

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

this is actual biosphere collapse content, most of the thread is focused on climate as a causal factor (not being obtuse, I know why)

I for one say gently caress those bears, they’re trying to get at our treats

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Microplastics posted:

but my condo

it’s free real estate

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Apr 3, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Stereotype posted:

I was about to say that I'm pretty sure we are already over 1C of warming caused by humans, but shifting the goalposts to only 0.75C of warming caused by millenials is good too

(probably preaching to the choir when you were just trying to make a joke)

it doesn’t even demonstrate that, because observed increases in EEI don’t happen until several decades after the emissions responsible for it are released. Increases observed today would be due to emissions released around the time most millennials would be either gestating in the womb or just being born. We won’t be feeling the effects of what adult millennials produced and emitted for years to come. So the graph could still be blamed on boomer mom and dad if that’s your predilection

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Salt Fish posted:

You got to love a funky baseline

https://youtu.be/IJYK5tkgtvk?feature=shared

Does anybody have recommendations for a podcast centered around the biosphere and the sixth mass extinction? I listen to plenty of content focused on SST updates and climate change/ENSO, but I’m looking to diversify my awareness of species loss and learn more about the wildlife damage I read when I see articles about things like Amazon deforestation

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Ain’t about biodiversity collapse, thanks for the rec though

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Apr 7, 2024

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

I finally understand why pol pot killed all the nerds first, lady out here writing a drat thesis about how it’s perfectly normal to huff rocks.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Kal posted:

First came the microplastics and now they want to cover the earth with microrocks?? :tinfoil:

also what does the rock flour taste like

I get the distinct impression anything that scandinavian weirdo cooks tastes like rock flour

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Someone should ask ChatGPT what all of these different metrics in all of these different locations having the same dramatic and unprecedented spikes around the start of this year means.

As an AI language model, I am physically incapable of giving a poo poo but here’s a neat haiku I hallucinated for you:

Arctic ice melted!
Sea rise like a Mario stage
Def a skill issue

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Joe Chip posted:

then finding out it was published in 1972 and :psyduck:

we knew. we knew so long ago and this is where we ended up

Frankly we’ve always known, just from mere casual observation of our own behaviors. Most of the Abrahamic religions describe the state of affairs we are in now if you grant them a generous enough interpretation. True believers take that to mean they are prophetic in nature, I chalk it up to the fact that their religious texts have a metric fuckload of :words:, all written about us and our (alleged) history and if you let a human write enough volume you’ll end up with an infinite chimps on type writers situation where the produced result will fit close enough to reality and appear prophetic like a vague horoscope.

Also because it doesn’t require much time at all living in the vicinity of other humans to observe the astounding effect that their forebrains have on their surrounding ecology. A prehistoric animal shepherd watching other people in his village spread disease, attack each other over perceived slights of honor and greed, and turning revolting acts of evil into banality would be equipped with everything he needs to extrapolate what happens if you cover the planet with 8.8 billion of them.

This is the reason it’s annoying when people refer to Orwell’s ”1984” as being prophetic or Orwell himself as personally possessing some special vision of the future. 1984 isn’t a prediction of 1984, it’s a book about 1949 and everything we witnessed being born from the the terrifying organs of the state powers clashing in WWII and the demons humanity unleashed from Pandora’s box in pursuit of emerging ‘victorious’, establishing their hegemony.

Good sci-fi and dystopian fiction isn’t about predicting the future beyond extrapolating the obvious. It’s about finding a way to distill the consequences of our current lifestyle and behaviors into their simplest and most digestible form that can easily be shared with the dumbest of us in the back of the class.

It sounds like your book is a good example of that; thank you for the recommendation, I’m eager to check it out now. Sorry for the rant.

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Punished Turtle posted:

The novel 1984 is a British bougie bitch writing about how scared he was of being bullied by people with better politics than him. George Orwell was dumb and should have found god instead of being an author and snitch.

I’m probably not educated enough to really understand your criticism if I’m being entirely honest. My choice of example may have been a poor one, in that case