Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

they were just talking about "first striking ninjas" on that stream today, learned something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh what... LSV set reviews are now paywalled?

What do people read for (limited) reviews these days

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was listening to the Limited Resources podcast to get ready for this weekend and lol that they're sponsored by an NFT site... I am assuming even if WOTC isn't doing it themselves that there's probably a lot of crypto bros in the "magic community"? I remember MTGOX

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

<Runs breathlessly into thread>

My dood have you heard of the Emergents TCG?!?

It's got hall of famers BDM, PVDDR, and Zvi Mowshovits behind it!

lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Has anyone put together a good GB draft deck? For the life of me I can't figure out what that deck is supposed to be about and gloomshrieker doesn't seem to have any real synergies I can see.

I did this in Arena premier draft, got to 7

Based on this I would say the key synergy card for GB is Dockside Chef as a sac outlet (he also eats artifacts so you can get rid of stuff like Terrarium for cards), he is good in anything but having control of how you bin things for value adds a lot. Also Kunai is normally really clunky removal, but being able to get it back flipped at least 2 games from dead on board to blowouts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

BO3 is noticably softer than BO1. The fact that there is no BO3 ladder is both criminal and most likely the reason for that.

whoa really

Also an actual unrelated question, I guess I should start building standard decks, is there a good list using Wandering Emperor yet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

If so then that's on your store, the "free" prize support LGSs get for prerelease (two boosters per kit) has been Set Boosters for a while now. I think that started with Zendikar Rising. Come to think of it, they actually cheated you because Set Boosters are more expensive. You can rat them out to WotC if you care (or address it with the owner at least).

Yah it's weird, since you can grind BO3 for rank it seems like the more competitive players flock to BO1.

Maybe I'll use the rest of my gems in BO3, looking forward to going 0-3 lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eej posted:

BO3 Draft is very, very bad for regular skilled players. Only do it if you're very good at Limited.

I don't know who to believe...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh the payout is absolutely nothing unless you win 2 matches and it's only positive if you're unbeaten...

Even though I've gotten 7-win runs this weekend three times that's too scary for me, I always did swiss limited in MTGO

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I ended up grabbing a UW control list. Lost the first two games trying to figure out how to run it and then when I won with it the opponent roped me... brings back memories like I never left lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is this gonna be the set where they bring back Patrician's Scorn

What is their record on doing all the future sight cards anyway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have come back to MTG three times in my life now, and the primary reasoning each time has been:

"Oh Innistrad and Ravnica have cool theming"
"I remember Ravnica, it has cool theming"
"I remember Kamigawa, it has cool theming"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

drat, I wish I could back convert like that

this terrible $50 pack was designed for me (but lmao i am not going to take the bait)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Extort is explicitly WB, seems like it would be weird with the shards

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Minsc is a planeswalker....

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can see the continuity in Elspeth's wardrobe but Ob Nix is a real jump lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I bought the book for the War of the Spark, where they introduced a new planeswalker that I'm sure has played an important role since

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Getaway Car with Ninjutsu...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fucker posted:

eh... would have def preferred the godfather over nightclub gang tbh.

https://twitter.com/Mengu09/status/1512071041761177612

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kiki-Jiki, the Face Breaker deck... i will make it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This set does feel like they have a bunch of "count stuff on the board or graveyard" huh.

I guess I'm glad I play on Arena where the computer can handle all this for me lol

Oh how do they do all these double-faced cards in paper these days, I remember back in the original Innistrad they had those checklist cards but now where even playing a land is double-sided it seems that would be real clunky

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/twoduckcubed/status/1514478467865268229

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

TipTow posted:

How highly should murder be valued for limited in SNC? My initial thought is "not very" considering it's BB cost, but removal seems to be at a premium in this set, and fwiw Draftsim rates it a 3.1 base value. I'm assuming Draftsim's ratings are only based on speculation, hence the question to y'all.

Hmm, is Murder the pick in this P2P1.... the rare seems good and playable in UW though

Or re: the shield counter discussion, is Hold for Ransom actually good

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 18, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

People attempt to make some sort of living off putting out content including pre-prerelease reviews and scores of every card in a limited format and how they expect it to perform given the set as a whole. It's not hard to imagine they don't have a good general ranking of the families, for people who care about min-maxing their prerelease chances.

I have been listening to some of the prerelease limited discussions and the gist seems to be that Casualty and Blitz seem so synergistic that BR is a good pair to build on. But also the two most busted commons are W and G so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mengu09/status/1519290900098265088?t=uQD_j8NndzK14GgFZ3XadQ&s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

is that good posted:

They might be thinking of how tapped blockers didn't used to deal combat damage?

That sounds like what you're supposed to do when a creature regenerates

Edit: oh i guess regeneration actually makes you tap it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

if you haven't watched the rest of the channel it's absolutely the best mtg channel out there

my favorite magic creator, his videos were what got me back during guilds of ravnica block

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am still salty that WOTC denied my refund request when my power went out during a hurricane watch but that was several years ago maybe they've changed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Chamale posted:

I just had my Glamorous Outlaw put into Witness Protection, and then she Faked Her Own Death to come back at full strength. This set is amazing.

Realized this in the other thread while playing with Elspeth:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh, the "canonical" Angel is 4/4 flying vigilance but all the angels on New Capenna are just a little short... Elspeth's +1 will make them full power...

And Giada is 2/2 flying vigilance, Revelation of Power brings her up to full power and Elspeth's +1 makes her "Baneslayer Angel", flavor success this set

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Even turns basics into mountains :sickos:

https://twitter.com/RoborosewaterM/status/1523694306749468675?t=pFpttLhTQRaxXeimzFGWPQ&s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1524121585229082624?t=fhjzLRIUB0aRopiE-AqwtA&s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

don't the mountain goats have a song about mtg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh right I remember listening to In League with Dragons but this owns lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/MTGHistory/status/1524137514868563970?t=wQwwn0ovE5mFuggAMV4vEA&s=19

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Braids spotted!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What was the plot relevance of Urabrask being in New Capenna anyway, was that actually brought up in anything

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Huxley posted:

I always assumed One With Nothing was a meta joke about Wizards stealing $4 from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ndD-QmPJg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow, I just learned that Corrupt Court Official is a reprint all the way from Portal Three Kingdoms...

Have they done any other super deep cuts like this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Really looking forward to rebuilding my Gates deck for Historic Arena...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Totally need to see the spoiler of the "gates matter" commander they talked about on the stream

This one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I don't think they've added the crypto poo poo yet but yes, Matt Nass and LSV sold Storybook Brawl to this guy and are planning on making it a Blockchain game (which will remove it from Steam) with crypto integration.
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1518623933213380612?s=20&t=pp2V0U4hZH1wMl2zVmP49g

Hearing Marshall on the Limited Resources podcast shilling this crypto site was painful enough, knowing that everyone involved is knee keep in this is lol