Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is there still an MTG eternal thread? Didn't see it in the first couple pages, but I guess it wasn't terribly active to begin with.

With (maybe kinda sorta almost) in store play starting to come back again, I was thinking about masking up and heading out to some free modern events again. Picked up the new pieces for my current pet eternal decks of belcher and enchantress, but was trying to figure out if there were any new decks in the format.

I haven't really played since late summer/mid fall last year, but it looks like modern is still pretty much just Lurrus piles and a couple 4c decks. Is that roughly correct? I was sort of hoping something would shake it up a little, since I was getting a little tired of every game starting fetch shock ragavan go, but I'm guessing we're still kinda in that place.

At least Enchantress is pretty hilarious into midrange-y decks since you've got plenty of time to get the hard lock then win at your leisure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Technically Modern isn't eternal, but yes the Cardboard Yachtsman thread was the eternal thread.

You're right: Lurrus still dominated a lot of modern, but I would say 4c piles are on the decline, and that MH2 is more of what defines modern right now. There's some interesting brews out of NEO (Oni-cult Anvil and some form of Affinity) but it's uncertain if they have staying power.

One of the issues with Enchantress is that where as enchantments generally were tough to interact with now there;s plenty of MB answrs in Ending, March, Teferi, Trophy, Boseiju, in addition to the deck's lack of speed.

E: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620

Ah nice, thanks!

And yeah, enchantress is super soft to some cards for sure, though it looks like the only new one is boseiju? Which does seem pretty good! It's all worth it for when you slap the second shroud piece down though

I actually play the version with infinite mana main deck because it sometimes means they tap out and immediately you lock the game. But you definitely just sometimes kinda.. lose because you never get the engine online. I look at it as a fun tier 2 gimmick

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The white March is new.
I'll be honest I don't know much about enchantress, my strategy against it is untargeted life loss and I've played the mu zero times.

Oh yeah, picked up copies of that one as I can see how it adds the redundancy.

Enchantress is like.. mega weak to decks that don't have to target or attack/deal damage for sure since your goal is to lock the game with solitary confinement behind a sterling grove or two to give everything shroud. The deck is helped by pretty much no one playing it as well, which means the really back breaking sideboard stuff usually isn't there.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

How many cards/decks in modern play a lot of untargeted life loss? you have to deal with sythis who gains its controller 1 life for each enchantment cast..

the new hotness for enchantment decks is hallowed haunting. but unfortunately that cards like $20 ATM and it's played more in standard/commander. i've seen a few decks play it in place of sigil of the empty throne in modern but it's seeing play in the naya enchantment deck in standard

besides the new lands, the latest enchantress deck that went 5-0 (a week ago) also had The Restoration of Eiganjo https://scryfall.com/card/neo/34/the-restoration-of-eiganjo-architect-of-restoration in it. But if you basically have the deck post MH2 it's pretty much the same.. other than maybe sigil of the empty throne seeing way less play.

Yeah the restoration card looks pretty good since it gives you a second win con in case they pithing destiny spinner in addition to getting back enchantments from the gy (which means you can use Stirling as a tutor more often)

Haunting doesn't look like it would fit in the modern deck since 4 mana is a lot and you're normally not attacking within anything but gigantic trample lands once the game is locked down. I might be super wrong here however! I guess it's giving you big ole spirits (edit 2 cause actually they don't fly), but honestly once you've got the game locked down winning it isn't usually a problem. Edit: Though, it looks like the legacy version is running it, so who knows? Maybe it'll turn out to be really good and I'll wish I'd bought it now :shrug:

Since I run the infinite mana combo I also run helix pinnacle main deck, which is good because last time I went to my local store there were a bunch of people with bridges. Enchantress is actually pretty surprisingly weak to a bridge locking you down in modern

There's not many untargeted ways for sure, the most common is mill and lantern decks in my experience? Both of which have regular players around here

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 1, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5CDkmWf2Oc

Prof's new box design mockup, I like that it can fit a whole other gamegenic (or possibly another type of deckbox), box in it as well as those trays for whatever you may need. Real question becomes how many would you realistically need for travel.

It's kinda bonkers how there's so many gigantic deck boxes that are really good, like the gamegenic stuff

No one makes the really nice ones for 80 card decks it feels like though, so I'm still rocking those ultra pro sidewinder boxes

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:sickos:

Been waiting for this one since lurrus was printed. It was pretty obvious it needed to go when like half the decks in every challenge were some flavor of lurrus deck imo

mcmagic posted:

VERY COOL AS I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING DEATH'S SHADOW FOR 2 WEEKS FOR A loving BIG TOURNEY!!!!!

Mega rip :smith:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kalel posted:

the problem with companion is that every change I've ever seen suggested to make it not broken sucks and the current "pay 3 to add to hand" is the least sucky solution. I think it's an unfixable mechanic. And no this is not an invitation to post your own idea on how to fix companion, thank you

What I would do is.. hey :mad:

:toot: looks like the last few pieces I need for my budget (aka no caverns) modern elves list might come in before magic. Elves isn't like.. all that great, but it's still fun at least

I'll have to figure out how much I feel like thinking for this weekend I guess to pick which deck to play

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kalel posted:

T1 is better but I feel like T2 is more fun.

:yeah:

T2 usually, at least to me, has much cooler play patterns and win conditions then just pure hyper efficiency.

I'm not sure where it places, but modern belcher is really cool and fun, but it's also pretty much the only viable true combo deck so I'm not sure if that by default bumps it up a few tiers

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I know there's not really a better way to deal with it then "play it out as Arena does it" other than rescheduling the whole tournament or rushing out something that might not be tested, but that's pretty hilarious and just sorta seems not right for a major tournament

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They should at least let people change their deck list now, or at least sub out those cards if they wish 1:1

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Unfortunately we got a massive snowstorm last week so my free modern event ended up not firing. Got to play a few games with Golgari elves with the new pieces and man, that deck is still fun.

They were on gruul zoo..ish kinda thing. And man, Fury being so good is a real problem for tribal/go-wide strategies so I can see why those decks fell off. Luckily hitting a good coco with elvish warmaster let's you build a heck of a board pretty quick

Really wish I'd picked up a playset of Fury back when people thought it was mega trash and it went for like $5 a card

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

When FNM was on Valentine's Day one year, our LGS had table 1-5 set up like a dinner date, and the owner came by to pour blue mountain dew into our champagne flutes.

lmao

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

uggy posted:

What year is it

It's 2012, you kept mumbling about Donald Trump being president for a bit.. must've been having quite the nightmare

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

If I were to buy every rare and mythic on MTGO how much would it cost me vs buying them sixteen wildcards a time at $50 a pop lol

I think more than you’d expect. Fifty bucks gets a lot in paper/MTGO.

Well.. on card kingdoms at least a single complete set, which is one of each card in the set, for most sets is between 150-400 dollars or so depending on what's in it. So probably like 400-1000 minus whatever the commons and uncommons are worth

Edit: oh I'm an idiot you said mtgo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I still wish they had a like.. a "historic" subscription or whatever where I don't own any of the cards, but I can build whatever dumb idea I have floating around my head to mess with terrible jank for fun. Kind of like those phantom event stuff they do on MTGO where you have every modern legal card/legacy legal card for a weekend, but let me just pay to do that all the time

Magic for me is more of a social game to play in person, despite some of the people you run into sometimes I guess, but I'd probably pay a pretty decent amount per month to just be able to play whatever I'd like when the fancy strikes me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

Card rental services are basically exactly like this and are a big reason why I've had so much fun with MTGO recently.

Yeah, I've been thinking about starting that up actually because I really just want to try out a bunch of jank crap.

Are you using card hoarders?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

A monthly subscription model that let people either rent X number of precons (based on the top 10 deck archetypes in a given meta) or get a certain number of wildcards to build a deck would do numbers.

$15: 2 preset decks, or build 1 custom deck
$20: 3 preset decks, or build 2 custom decks
$30: 5 preset decks, or build 3 custom decks.

Not sure if that would be the right calibration on numbers, pricing, etc - I don't tend to have more than 4 or 5 decks sitting around in any one format at any time but a lot of people love to brew random kooky stuff so maybe it would need to be higher to hook that crowd. Presumably people would still buy Mastery Passes, gem packs, alternate arts, etc. The precon thing could be a challenge, since WOTC is notoriously private with a lot of the data that comes out of Arena but if the upside was large enough that's not insurmountable.

Would it be more profitable than the current economy? Only WOTC knows, and I'm sure they've run enough internal testing to at least have a comparative idea.

Assuming I can rotate the decks, I'd almost certainly do that for $20 a month, which is definitely more than the $0/month they've been getting from me till now. Honestly I'd probably grab a pass or two as well just cause

I suppose that'd have implications on the whale side of things though. Then again, I guess they could just supplement that by making more cosmetic stuff for people to buy

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Nah. A good tribal deck should have An Out to a wrath (which is fury's ceiling). But also Elves just doesn't have an answer to Engineer or Fury, or anything really. I'd say of the five tribal decks in Modern it's the bottom.
It's not as versitile as Zombies, it can't grind like Goblins, It can't control like Humans, and it can't tempo like Fish. Also, all of those easily beat a Fury.

You're right, print glimpse of nature into modern WotC you cowards!!

Elves is definitely the worst of them, but it's also hilariously fun to play so I'll never fully get rid of it. Though, I'm also not buying caverns either

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The monkey's paw already curled on this one.

Oh dang, I forgot that it actually WAS a modern legal card

Well in that case unban it :colbert:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Glimpse apparently was on the initial ban list I guess

In legacy I don't think it's played anywhere other than elves right? The deck is obviously a lot stronger when all your elves draw you cards, but without GSZ and gaia's cradle I wonder if it's actually too good for modern anymore. You never hear about elves destroying no ban list events

Especially considering how much more powerful the format is, in addition to plague engineer and such being effective at keeping it in check

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I feel like the two faces of sealed are "my pool sucks and all my rares are unplayable" and then you randomly spike the event, or at least get a winning record

And then "holy crap I've got a god like pool with insane cards all in the same color" and you proceed to flood out and die every game

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:toot: elves take me to 3-1 at a (pretty casual and free) modern event

Such a fun deck. It feels so close to being really good, but it's definitely good enough for fnm esque settings

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

Gamergrats amigo. What build are you on?

Pretty standard golgari list:

4 Heritage Druid
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Quirion Ranger
3 Elvish Mystic
3 Dwynen's Elite
4 Elvish Warmaster
4 Elvish Archdruid
2 Elvish Champion
2 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
4 Shaman of the Pack

2 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
2 Winding Way

My lands are kinda whack because I don't actually own any caverns. I should probably just suck it up and buy them at some point, but the only tribal deck I really play is elves:
1 Blooming Marsh
4 Forest
3 Nurturing Peatland
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Pendelhaven
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Gilt-Leaf Palace

I completely forgot to put veils in my sideboard, so I randomly had like 3 cast downs that never even got sided in :v:

Edit: Also in the process of the event I realized that I actually didn't slip a basic swamp in there. Luckily I never ran into blood moon, but I realized that I should probably fix that.. a decent chunk of the sideboard cards are just black removal like pushes and stuff. I dunno if anyone would actually bring in blood moon against elves though, especially considering G1 I have literally 4 cards that have B in them and that's it

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 27, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I do think about trying it, even bought one of the Blitz starter decks. Then I remember thr time and money wasted on other tcgs in the 90s and am okay with a little vit of FOMO here.

RIP .Hack card game that I never actually got to play even a single round of

Looked kinda cool too :sigh:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

New Grixis Charm plays really well with Kroxa in pioneer.

New Esper Charm can get Teferi or Ashiok out of the yard at instant speed lmao

E: oh God it can get Lurrus too, no wonder they chose now to ban him.

T3feri continues to be a huge mistake to have ever been printed

This is going to make the control matchup, where it's often decided by who resolves t3feri, way more swingy

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

fadam posted:

Asking as a man who wears basketball shorts and t-shirts exclusively, what's the deal with the miniskirt thing Ob Nixilis has on here lol

It's called fashion :colbert:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They should just get it over with and ban companion as a mechanic

The others aren't really a big issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get broken eventually

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

They don't do power level erata (outside arena) and banning lines on a card is kinda meh.
But companions have had like two years now to show up in a deck without being the companion and the only one I saw do that was Gyruda.
And Lurrus during a time I tried to make a Lurrus X Obosh death's Shadow deck.

They did it once when they revised the companion mechanic to cost 3 instead of being free. Edit: or wait, wasn't it just that you could cast it directly? Like it didn't even have to move to your hand? That revision was kinda weird come to think of it

But I just sorta misspoke my bad, they should just ban all the companion cards straight up to keep things clean, at least from the larger card pool formats

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

the way companions work now is fine. they're not overwhelming any formats and the way they're set up now makes them disruptable more often

i do kind of wonder why exactly you're bringing it up rignt now and i wanna make sure you didn't walk into an april fool's joke saying they were doing something new with them

Nah, I just don't like the mechanic in general. Well, conceptually I like the idea of deck building restriction cards, but I feel like for competitive stuff they're always either going to be unplayable or way too good. It only came up because of the Winota price spike :v:

I also have opinions about t3feri, unfortunately they're not anymore nuanced and my posting would be equally bad

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

So this is a bit pedantic but companion is a rule. So changing the rule isn't the same thing as erata. It's also not power-level erata: One is usually done because there's a typo or to make the card keep funcitoning when the rules change. (like when "target creature or player" became "any target" to account for a change and removal of the planeswalker redirection rule)
And yes that's how it used to work. If you had 3 mana up you could just Lutri at any time. It was a weird revision, sure, but modifying the rule was the only way to do it without powerlevel erata short of, well it's your proposed solution, banning all 10 of them.

Ah I getcha on the difference

I was just thinking about the original cards, cause they had the wrong rule printed on them

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Sick as poo poo, i love dumb tribal decks

:sickos:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

Mono white hammer. Faced a sea of Chalices and Ancient Grudges and Forces of Vigor. That's Modern I suppose

Yeah absolutely everyone is packing hate for hammer, one of the big targets for the format currently

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Instant

This spell can't be countered.

Destroy target nonland permanent.

This is expensive, but honestly reads as pretty good. Especially in the control mirror in things like modern where T3feri resolving sort of ends the game for the player that doesn't have one

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

If it cost like.. one or two mana it'd be pretty busted. At 6 I don't even think it'd see play in any format other than commander or something?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:eyepop:

That's a pretty dang good beater

Edit: no flying though and an extra mana so it's not quite a mantis rider

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Commons are back baby :getin:

:eyepop:

That's got to be one of the better common creatures printed right? At the very least in a limited setting (so putting aside Delver as an example)

Vigilance, Trample and ETB treasure for 2G, and it's even a 3/3 to boot

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Devor posted:

Just one +1/+1 from Giada, right?

I think that's right since it's entering the battlefield with the counter, not receiving it as a trigger after it enters the battlefield?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's a shame they re-templated the o-ring effect, because we'll never get another card that can just completely stall the game if there's 3 of them on the board.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm pretty sure this still happens.

oh no it definitely does for O-ring

I just mean they'll (probably) never print another mistake card where that could happen. I just want to live the dream in a paper draft somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Devor posted:

Doesn't the 3-ring infinite loop still happen with modern templating? That loop didn't rely on the instant-speed gotcha stuff, it's just the side-effect of a mandatory trigger with only one target.

For content, here's LSV's video

For value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXG5rNe_tI

Video is still great!

I thought it didn't for some reason related to the way they template the cards, but I'm absolutely not that up on the way new versions of O ring effects work so that might just be completely wrong