Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Captain Invictus posted:

love the pun, can you choose the same option twice since it doesn't say pick two different choices?

I was under the impression that the default for modal spells where you can choose more than one mode is that each choice has to be different unless the spell explicitly states that you can choose the same mode more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

On a side note, as someone who loved the original Kamigawa block, it warms my heart to see how successful Neon Dynasty has been. :unsmith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Grifter posted:

That Goodwill collection reminded me how much I like the art for Icatian Phalanx.

The woman on the left looks like she's ready to start some poo poo.

"Me and the girls getting ready for a night out."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I'll drink a whiskey, a vodka, a lager, or even a cider.

Do you sing the songs that remind us of the good times, or the songs that remind us of the better times?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bought the Riveteers and Cabaretti Commander decks today, and for some reason, the Riveteers deck had two copies of Henzie "Toolbox" Torre and The Beamtown Bullies. Is that a relatively common packing error for Commander decks?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dysgenesis posted:

Wasn't this the game that was ended by a camel?

Yep. A Camel that was in his opening hand along with six lands that produced every color of mana except white. Presumably he kept that hand because it was better than taking a mulligan and having to reshuffle his whole deck.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

They should be 5 Colours, like Slivers, in fact they should literally just be Slivers kinda.

Not really. The big difference between them is that slivers can adapt and mutate based on what other slivers are in proximity to them. Tyranids, on the other hand, are bioengineered by the hive mind to fulfill specific tasks, and once they've been spawned, they're locked into whatever configuration they were spawned as. So if I have a pack of little speedy guys with scything talons and a pack of guys with guns that shoot flesh-eating beetles as ammunition, putting them near each other won't make the close-combat ones suddenly sprout guns or make the ranged ones suddenly run faster.

That said, I do agree that they would make more sense being five colors instead of three.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

So wait, since this guy is himself a Background, does this mean I could take him, Wilson, Refined Grizzly, and then one of the other Background enchantments (like Noble Heritage or Criminal Past) to make a 3-color commander deck?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dumb Commander question: if I have the new Sol'kanar as my Commander, I can't cheat my way out of the fourth option ("Exile Sol'kanar, then return it to the battlefield under an opponent's control") using the "if your Commander leaves play, you can return it to your Command Zone instead" rule, since the entire ability has to resolve before the game checks state-based effects to see that he was exiled, correct?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Sickening posted:

Too many of you are finding out modern goblins is fun and viable and I am sick of the mirror.

Stop

Be the change you want to see in the world.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kashuno posted:

https://twitter.com/mtggoldfish/status/1572256017869864961?s=46&t=qOpm5VGs-5mXIlcCQfriBQ

They put 4/2 and 6/9 on the same sticker sheet, that’s pretty good

Ni/ce.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Also new gamer

Laughing extra hard at this because I was actually contemplating trying to come up with an Umezawa-themed Commander deck a day or so ago.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The thing that I'm wondering is how this interacts with creatures whose rules text mention the name of the creature.

If I swap the text boxes of a Duathi Cutthroat and Phage the Untouchable, then swing in with Phage and hit my opponent, do they still lose the game?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ilmucche posted:

this set has some good humour.

Some absolutely fantastic flavor text in this set, especially on the attractions.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

President Ark posted:

this card combined with the WU lady who makes tokens cards means you can wind up in situations where you have to shuffle your phone into your deck

also with Exit Through The Grift Shop and that WU lady you can auction off your phone

Technically, Exit Through The Grift Shop would let them make a copy of the creature card that your phone is a copy of and cast the copy without paying its mana cost. They wouldn't actually get your phone, but presumably they could take a picture with their own phone to use as a token (unless they're already using their phone for their own Mobile Clone token, in which case I guess they'd be stuck with a generic copy token or something).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Oversized dungeon cards and commanders, now is your time to shine :getin:

At last, a use for all my old Planechase Planes and Archenemy Schemes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Eej posted:

Shadows over Joenistrad.

Storm Shadows over Innistrad.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenMagnificentTildeKreygasm-oCUyFMxZ4vW45OIw

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Megatron has been a tank longer than he's been a gun.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Oh boy this is real good:

https://peterniemeier.github.io/mtg30/

I got Personal Incarnation, Stasis, Two-Headed Giant of Foriys, and big Shivs. Lol. Money well saved. If they added art and an animation and stuff I'd get the full dopamine hit and wouldn't need to spend a dime!

Money spent on product: $999
Total packs opened: 4
Total duals opened: 1
Total power opened: 1
Dollars spent per dual: $999.00
Dollars spent per power: $999.00
Rares Cracked:
Howling Mine: Old Frame
Wheel of Fortune
Bad Moon
Armageddon: Old Frame
Stasis
Mox Sapphire: Old Frame
Plateau

Okay then.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

For those who are interested, Mark Rosewater goes over why Nearby Planet (the land with Rangeling) isn't Eternal legal in today's Making Magic:

Mark Rosewater posted:

For this card, let me answer the questions everyone will be asking: Why is this an acorn card? Why couldn't it be an Eternal card? Technically, it doesn't work in the rules, but that's something that could have been addressed. Magic tweaks the rules all the time for new effects, and the change that this card would require to work wouldn't be a big deal.

The bigger problem was Legacy and Vintage. The reason we made some cards in the set Eternal is because that's the legality a set needs to be playable in Commander. Commander is our most casual format, and Un- sets are our most casual sets, so if we wanted to let any format play cards, we wanted it to be Commander. That meant, though, that we had to be cautious about what we were letting into Legacy and Vintage.

The team I put together to decide which cards were acorn and which were Eternal included Jess Dunks, the rules manager; Matt Tabak, the set's editor; myself, the lead set designer; and Carmen Handy from the Play Design team. It was Carmen's job to make sure we weren't making cards Eternal that would cause problems in Legacy or Vintage. Sometimes that means changing costs, and sometimes that means not making a card Eternal.

We created Nearby Planet because we needed a common land that tapped for all five colors to help fix mana in Limited (being all five basic land types does this). Rangeling, as I said above, technically didn't work in the rules, so it passed the bar for something an Un- set could do (back before the Eternal discussion happened). When the Eternal conversation came up, we had two choices: recost it so it wouldn't cause problems in Legacy and Vintage (which probably meant moving rarities) or make it an acorn card. The former would create numerous headaches (remember, the art had all been completed by this point) and would still be potentially dangerous, so we opted to make it an acorn card. Our guiding principle toward Legacy and Vintage had been "when it doubt, err toward safety," so we did.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Time posted:

Two archetypal gamers are here to battle it out. folks, this is what you pay for

Can I get a refund?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

We've had this discussion before: It's low on basics because it's modern and you need to always have access to your splash colors which means using a high amount of shocks and fetches. Which means despite being 90% black deck, it's soft to blood moon.

4 Polluted Delta
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Blood Crypt
2 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Cavern of Souls
1 Godless Shrine
3 Swamp
1 Tomb of Urami
1 malakir rebirth

So run a sideboard that turns the deck into a burn deck for whenever you get mooned. :pseudo:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Koirhor posted:

Ya that looks more like a portable hole

Or the results of Door to Nothingness.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Spoiler season resumes next week when previews for The Brothers' War start.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The secret bonus cards for the Warhammer Secret Lair drops have been revealed.

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar - Full art Wastes

Warhammer 40,000: Orks - Full art Wastes

Warhammer: Blood Bowl - Full art Wastes

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm going to guess that green will get a Titania's Command to round out the cycle.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Before i go whoa too much, defense grid is a commander deck card and not in the actual set right?

It's one of the retro artifact cards.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Got the "Congratulations, your order is being processed" message, still waiting on the confirmation email. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Got my confirmation email as well. Good luck to everyone still waiting for one and/or who might need help getting accidental multiple orders sorted.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm going to guess that green will get a Titania's Command to round out the cycle.

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1588242303071944704?t=oHv3sehcLjl21VnqtqUGAA&s=19

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It's a 3/3 for 5 mana because it's got that harness full of drugs to rescue wounded soldiers, and presumably also affords it some kind of defenses beyond just hoping the enemy stops to go, "D'aaaawwww, who's a good boy?"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Getting flashbacks to that AI-generated Hearthstone card, Blood Manos. 6 mana for a 6/0 with the rules text "ALL minions".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

According to the article about what comes in each type of booster:

quote:

Transformers Shattered Glass cards are only found in The Brothers' War Collector Boosters—roughly 12% of Collector Boosters contain one. While non-foil Shattered Glass Transformers cards are printed in all languages Collector Boosters are available in, foil Shattered Glass Transformers cards are printed in English and they appear in Collector Boosters of any language. Foil Shattered Glass Transformers are tough to open—you're about as likely to open a foil Shattered Glass Transformer as you were a neon ink Hidetsugu (of any color) in Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

generatrix posted:

The new jumpstart packs would probably be good when it's like 10 sets in and you can do chaos-jumpstart events where everyone has random stuff from different sets. Kind of needs to hit that critical mass to work though, so they probably should have waited to flip the theme boosters over to jumpstart ones until after the full JS22 set comes out, or done retroactive ones for the last five sets.

Yeah, I remember from back when someone posted the Tolarian Community College review of the DMU Jumpstart here, my initial impression of the product based on the review was that it was most likely intended to be combined with other Jumpstart packs from upcoming sets instead of a stand alone product.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Draft boosters have 15 cards, jumpstart boosters have 20.

Also, the contents of the Jumpstart packs are preset to match the theme of the pack, with only one rare in each pack being random. Draft boosters are completely randomized.

Here's the contents of the pack for The Brothers' War Jumpstart pack, for example.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

You can always just go with Imposter Mech + flicker effects. W/U are the flicker colors, after all.

Imposter Mech can only copy a creature an opponent controls.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Won a small four person prerelease event tonight. Went 2-0 in round one, 2-1 in round 2. :toot:

Deck was:

Goring Warplow x2
Scrapwork Rager x2
Razorlash Transmogrant x1
Mishra's Juggernaut x1
Scrapwork Mutt x1
Overwhelming Remorse x1
Ravenous Gigamole x2
Gixian Skullflayer x1
Gix's Caress x1
Gixian Infiltrator x1
Fallaji Chaindancer x1
Raze to the Ground x2
Tomakul Scrapsmith x1
Conscripted Infantry x1
Horned Stoneseeker x1
Evolving Wilds x1
Argivian Avenger x1
Unwinding Clock x1
Dredging Claw x1
Mishra, Tamer of Mak Fawa x1

9 Swamps
7 Mountains

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

serefin99 posted:

She only untaps artifact creatures, so if you Crewed your Vehicles they should be affected, but otherwise they won't be.

Goes great with the Transformers that are vehicles since Living Metal automatically makes them artifact creatures during your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Framboise posted:

Both my calendar and my coin flip commander deck (from literally a year ago at this point) arrived today.

As if I care about actually following the calendar though. Even the packaging says "Let's be honest, you're gonna open all of these at once."

Foils:

Mishra's Factory
Necropotence
Glimpse of Nature
Lightning Helix
Bogardan Hellkite
Siege Rhino
Dragonlord Ojutai
Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
Arclight Phoenix

Secret Card: Lotus Field (foil)

Mostly lower value ones. Was really hoping for foil Pod, Mox, and Ponder, but that's luck for ya. Some really cool ones in there though.

Nice! I was honestly shocked at how many foils I pulled, the store page said each card had a 30% chance of being a foil, and I ended up with 14 of them.

Foils:

Lim-Dul's Vault
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Chrome Mox
Lightning Helix
Heritage Druid
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Dragonlord Ojutai
Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
Arclight Phoenix
Emry, Lurker of the Loch