Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Pulled a Wrenn & Seven and a Moonveil Regent in my Pre-Release kit but I'm currently in lock down so it's all for naught and I'm sad on the internet.

Those are very sweet cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Aspiringspike is playing them in a Modern Jeskai Phoenix/Demilich deck.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

fadam posted:

I want to try that UR turns deck with a Poppet guy in it.

Poppet is really fun card design.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The Chandra, Dressed to Kill borderless art looks as about as good as the regular art looks bad. Holy moly the regular art is atrocious.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

It doesn't really seem that good to me. Not a ton of impact if it comes down turn 3, probably has to be played in mono-red, the second +1 does nothing if your top card is a land (although it is good to lands off the top of your deck if you're playing aggressive red burn). I may be underrating it but it just seems a bit blah.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

Flooding out with a suspicious stowaway in your deck is a bummer. I keep looking at that card and wondering if it had constructed implications, it seems... so good to me, on its face

It's a super good card that doesn't quite have a home, though there are some delver-style decks that are using it a bit. But if the surrounding cards were there I think that thing would see tons of play.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Will new Kamigawa have Good Art cards like Strixhaven? Potentially interested in drafting with some friends and that would be a nice bonus.

The lands are probably the sickest I've ever seen and the alternative JP arts look pretty sweet so far. I'd give that a cautious yes.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/kamigawa-neon-dynasty-variants

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

The Wandering Emperor: 2WW

Legendary Planeswalker (MR)

Flash

As long as The Wandering Emperor entered the battlefield this turn, you may activate her loyalty abilities any time you could cast an instant.

+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature. It gains first strike until end of turn.

-1: Create a 2/2 white samurai token with vigilance

-2: Exile target tapped creature. You gain 2 life.

Starting Loyalty: 3.

Seems blah.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

flatluigi posted:

it's a combat trick planeswalker, it's neat at the very least and has enough flexibility that i could see it getting played

I don't think anything it does is impactful enough for a four mana.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Crackbone posted:

You’re nuts. A planeswalker with flash gets around the “tap out” turn, that alone is good. On top of that it can do drat near every worthwhile combat trick when it flashes in. Maybe it’s too midrange for the format right now but It’s good.

Maybe I am. It just seems fine, but I don't see how there's a midrange deck with white that wants this card. After the first combat trick it's just so unimpactful, it doesn't matter if you get 2 activations. But I could be vastly underrating it.

Definitely a blow out in limited of course.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

That seems kind of just good in general.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

fadam posted:

The mono-b deck in Pioneer was hurting for good 2 drops after Copter got banned, this seems like it could be a potential upgrade for the Scrapheap Scroungers. Evasive beater early game that lets your other stuff swing in for 5+ with menace for reach in the late game isn’t exciting but feels strong to me.

This is what I was thinking basically. Yeah Spikefield is an issue here but I don't know, I like the card for aggressive black decks.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

These are very fun cards.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Note that the translation on Thundering Raiju is incorrect I think. It doesn't count itself, so you can't drop the 1/1 counter on it and have that count.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ward 2

Whenever you cast an artifact spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Reassembled Automaton.

I like this card too.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This set looks wildly fun.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Kashuno posted:

This set looks really good

It's got incredible art, interesting cards, and just some really fun themes. I'm loving it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The set is just a banger start to finish. Draft is fun, constructed seems really fun so far. I like planeswalkers and all four are really interesting and useful, particularly Kaito and The Wandering Emperor, both of which are insane. I was way wrong on the latter, she's nuts.

The deck isn't good enough to actually be played in higher ranks but right now I'm playing this Sulta Tamiyo deck in standard that draws cards with Kaito and then grinds people out with Tamiyo recursion on Chariot/Binding into Lolth, Wrenn and Storm the Festival. Extremely fun.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 15, 2022

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Some of the alt-art treatments in New Capenna are extremely sick

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1499516726211497994

Holy mother of god this alt art treatment.

Their alt arts have been fire lately.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Five mana is pricy but her abilities are dope

Seems just a little too expensive for the kind of deck that she would want to fit into, but I was way off on the planeswalkers in the last set so what do I know.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Ob Nixilis seems pretty drat good to me. Someone will link the image I'm sure but it slots nicely in rakdos sac decks and at 1BR is nicely costed.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Is the commander on that second deck the planeswalker Geyadrone Dihada?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Nope. Mostly Rosewater tweets/tumbles. Also if you were an ex WOTC employee who knew wouldn't you dish unless the consequences outweighed the pros of telling?

This secret contract theory makes zero sense from a legal, business or logical perspective.

They just don't want to abolish the list at this point and the employees don't want to wade too much into that poo poo (and WoTC doesn't want them to either).

That's it.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I had some early press access and will only say the Planeswalker is one you will know.

How would it not be when it's a "popular" planeswalker getting a reprint?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I wasn't super into Magic lore earlier on so I went to the wikipedia to read about the Nine Titans after seeing that image and it just sounds so stupid.

Aha, Mr. Szat, I needed moral justification to kill you to power a super weapon to stop a murderous plane bent on assimilating the universe so I let you kill two other planeswalkers first. What the gently caress?

And then when he actually can destroy the plane he's just like nope too much interesting stuff here? The guy who has devoted his millennia long existence to wiping them out? Bizarre stuff.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

A Moose posted:

I feel like black is SUPER strong in a BUNCH of formats right now. Rakdos is 2 of the best decks in Explorer and Historic, its good in Standard too. I wonder if she's even strong enough to see play

She is but it's not as slam dunk as it would have been a while back. The 3cmc slot in those decks are absolutely packed with insane cards.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Jiro posted:

Unnnfff those stained glass alt cards. :flashfap:

Not empty quoting.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

kalel posted:

New mechanic: Read Ahead

This is an incredibly interesting card to me.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Just read on maro's blog that there are 4 planeswalker this set. Ajani, Liliana and Jaya are already spoilered, which one is the 4th? Karn, I assume or maybe Teferi. I originally thought we would get both of them.

I believe we've already seen the art and name of the card, it's Karn.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Does Jaya have a pw card or just one showing (storyline spoiler) that she dies ?

They've already previewed her PW card, Jaya Fiery Negotiator.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

A Moose posted:

Is this our new flametongue kavu?

It costs 6 in 3 colors to do 4 damage, but

it flies,
it has lifelink,
it can split the damage or cost less if there's nothing to hit
better stat line

Also gains the 4 life because of the lifelink when you pay the kicker, which I didn’t realize at first and is fairly nice. 6 mana still seems too much though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

New Karn kinda sucks

Seems like it does but these cards that create artifacts and draw cards always end up better than you expect. The +1 can pay for the minus but it’s so slow.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Golden Argosy looks really strong to me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Karn, Living Legacy
{4}
Legendary Planeswalker — Karn
+1: Create a tapped Powerstone token. (It’s an artifact
with “{T}: Add {C}. This mana can’t be spent to cast a
nonartifact spell.”)
−1: Pay any amount of mana. Look at that many cards
from the top of your library, then put one of those cards
into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library
in a random order.
−7: You get an emblem with “Tap an untapped artifact
you control: This emblem deals 1 damage to any target.”

I'm not totally convinced this is bad. I know it feels bad and slow at first look.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 19, 2022

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

For his first ability I was going to say that I hate the double negative and it could be simplified, but then I realized that artifact can be used to power any abilities as well as artifact spells and that doesn’t seem too bad.

It can power his -1 to draw cards. Maybe too slow but you’re generating artifacts, mana and cards and it’s heading into an artifact heavy set. I’m a believer.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It’s bad. Doesn’t affect the board at all and you have to minus to draw a card. If you play it on 4 you can’t even minus!!

100% agree with everything you're saying. Despite that, and for reasons I can't explain, I see myself hating this card in 6 months.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

This set seems really strong to me. I think what's coloring folks opinions (in the internet ether, not necessarily this thread) on this is that the high-profile cards like Karn, Ajani, Weatherlight, etc. all look like they suck. So it feels disappointing.

But there are tons of super great cards here, many of which are uncommon.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 24, 2022

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ObsidianBeast posted:

I went to the afternoon prerelease today and got Sheoldred as my promo. Basically every game where it hit the battlefield and lived, I won. If the opponent doesn't have a quick answer to it, it becomes backbreaking. I didn't even block with it so it couldn't get combat tricked, but if they didn't have removal it didn't matter.

I went 2-1, the one match I lost at the end was because the guy specifically kept removal in hand for Sheoldred and took it out instantly and I couldn't find my reanimators in time.

I had a blast!

Sheoldred has felt good to me in early Arena standard. It's sort of an unassuming card but like you said, if it's not answered basically the turn it lands it becomes a serious issue. And these midrange black decks (whether they are esper, grixis, or even monoblack) are running so many efficient early threats that they can tax your removal and it's not as simple as sitting there and holding one for Sheoldred. I like the card a lot more than I expected to.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 3, 2022

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I wonder what planeswalker cards they'll have in that set (besides Teferi). Who could even be available? Urza isn't one yet, right?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

That Urza card does not seem as difficult to get out as I thought. The -5/-5 on the Mightstone/Weakstone is really key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Also isnt sports cards trading even more insane then mtg? Like desirable cards being worth millions insane

Oh it's way more insane. There are like 1 of 1 NBA rookie cards with the guy's signature and a piece of a game worn jersey or something that go for millions of dollars.

I actually had a case one time where I was opposite a guy that had sold one of his businesses to Google for like 120 million or something like that. He spent 30m on a NYC penthouse and 30m on baseball cards. The amount you can spend om sports cards is truly nuts.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 20, 2022