Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
When it's Friday afternoon and you can finally crack open a hard earned cold one, that's a special feeling, I don't know why you'd want to diminish that by sucking down one or two beers a day all week long. Plus who wants to go back to work after they've been in chill mode drinking a beer anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've had several tetanus shots in my life (FYI reminds me 2021 is supposed to be when I renew them), what's supposed to be worse about those than any other vaccination?

Getting tetanus or rabies is worse than any shot could be.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making the food too spicy on purpose?

Wait so you're telling me it's not smart to treat internet memes as undisputed fact?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Wit of the stairs-haver.

Lol now that's a comeback.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have no clue. After I blew up on him, he uttered the best words ever to say in an argument: Calm down.

He did admit he "almost had them sold" on getting a cat. He was surprised when I reminded him one cat has a heart defect, so, you know, not adoptable outside the rescue.

I am still levels of WTF about this all.

Totally normal reaction to somebody asking to see pictures of your cats.

Isn't the most likely scenario that your friend said something like "Oh cats are great you should definitely get one, my friend Cowslips Warren has the cutest little guys, here look..."?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

No I waited until they press a gun barrel or a knife to my head, chest, or stomach when I'm walking home from school.

Okay so if being robbed is such a ho-hum, everyday occurrence then what's with your complete inability to shut the gently caress up about it for two seconds?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I had a chronically late friend and it was just another manifestation of his short man syndrome. When people would call him out for it he would just smirk and say "sorry bout 'cha".

mind the walrus posted:

Passive-aggressive moaning and then ditching her is some real "Middle School/I'm a Sigma Male" horseshit. It ain't gonna solve her tendency to be late. All it's going to do is make it "him vs her" instead of "us vs the problem."

Actually it's a case of "when someone shows you who they are, believe them." Same as being lovely to service workers.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Lol jeopardizing my $120k job by getting drunk in the daytime in front of my uptight teetotaling boss.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Re: Ron Swanson, it's always been kind of weird to me how people unabashedly latch onto these obvious, goofy fads, but it happens and I try not to get too haughty about it. It's the people who are still chugging along years after everyone else has moved on that really break my brain though.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Does nicehole apply to people who hold the door to a building open a full 90 degrees while they wait for someone to cross the parking lot to enter and meanwhile freezing cold wind is whipping inside the whole time? And when you say "c'mon man it's freezing out there" they sneer "well I was just trying to be nice" ?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

teen witch posted:

AITA for kicking my husband out of my children's father's funeral because of what he told the kids?

I always like the ones where one person is such a mega rear end in a top hat they not only digg their heels in, but expect to be thanked for the effort. Even after it's been made clear that they've upset somebody, they have the nerve to say "just thank me and we can all move on".

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

They just have to stick to it in the house though, the kid can go eat popcorn shrimp and McRibs all he wants he just can't do it in the house. They're teenagers living with their parents anyways, sometimes your parents set rules and you think they're bullshit, but that's how it goes. All in all this doesn't seem like it's asking too much.

Plus the kid's probably just being a little poo poo about it because sometimes teenagers are little shits. There's nothing in the story indicating he's some budding culinarian who's been itching to sous vide some Berkshire hog and now that's been taken away from him.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The whole "Thai Spicy" thing drives me crazy. Not every Thai dish is meant to be spicy or "Thai spicy", and not every Thai person likes spicy food, but now most places I go insist on getting 1-5 from me and don't really understand when I say I just want it how it's supposed to taste.

Insisting the cook throw in an extra handful of chili flakes so I can satisfy my own ego isn't why I go get Thai food. I want the mild dishes mild, the spicy dishes spicy, the extremely spicy ones extremely spicy, etc.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving my dad's gf my change

Ugh, I hate people like this, telling you you're not allowed to make a big deal over something they're imposing on you and are currently making a big deal over.

"How dare you care so much about these quarters that I'm currently throwing a fit over!"

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Kuros posted:

AITA for hating my MIL's tattoo?

There are a ton of top level YTA verdicts on this one which is loving mind-boggling. MIL got a huge tat on her chest about the baby without talking to the parents. That's really loving weird.

Yeah it's a little weird but it's way weirder to get up and run sobbing into the other room because a family member got your baby's name tattooed on them.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Kuros posted:

Sure, a bit of an overreaction, but how is the MIL getting a giant tat of the grandkid's name and other info without telling the parents not the weirdest thing here? I'd put this at ESH.

I guess I'm just not of the opinion that you need to discuss it with somebody first about whose names and birthstones you're having tattooed on your body.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Kuros posted:

Sure, your body your choice, but if you showed up to work tomorrow and showed your coworker a massive tat that you got of their name, birthstone and flower, people are going to think it's really weird.

Yeah but that's not what happened in this situation, we're talking about a woman and her grandchild. If a coworker did that to me I would definitely think it was weird, but I certainly wouldn't throw a crying fit over it and try to have them banned from the premises. They're the ones who have to live with this dumb thing on their body, not me.

And just for the record I'm taking her characterization of the size of the tattoo with a big grain of salt.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure what the hell a coworker has to do with this, but it's pretty clear the example we've gotten here is not an isolated incident but more like the last straw.

Another poster directly asked me how I would feel if a similar incident played out between coworkers. However I agree that it's not an equivalent situation.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Did that lady mention anywhere that weekend mornings are the only time they had for family meals together? Some people might have special memories of Saturday breakfast with mom and dad but not every family is the same. It sounds like the parents are giving them the option of doing their own thing, if they want to.

The kids know if they want breakfast served hot they can get up early, and if they want to sleep in they can have leftovers. They're old enough to set the alarms on their cell phones and to learn that life is full of little compromises like this.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Honestly the "I'm not like other white people" thing does exist (and I'll fully admit to being guilty of it) and generally it's well meaning and comes from a place of respect, but it's pretty easy to overdo it.

The whole post the guy's laying it on pret-ty thick, ordering two of the weirdest things on the menu and pretending like it never even crossed his mind that he might be showing off a tiny bit and going on and on about how the waitress and the chefs and no one in the whole place could even believe he would eat this stuff.

But then again it also sounds like his girlfriend was kind of asking for it, and sometimes you get what you ask for.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Xun posted:

yeah you eat the caps of the jellyfish, not the tentacles. Idk, something about that post just screams what a smug white guy thinks asians will do once he shows off his amazing ability to eat some tripe and tasteless vaguely gelatinous strips :v:

I'm sure the guy really did like the stuff that he ordered, but he's obviously bragging when he spares us no detail of the restaurant staffs incredulity. None of that has anything to do with him and his girlfriend's fight.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

She told him to just get fried rice tho

She was also being kind of a jackass, if someone was that condescending to me I might go a little overboard trying to show them up too. But I'd try to have some measure of self-awareness about what I was doing and resist the urge to brag about it later.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I agree that it's a pretty small annoyance, but if someone committed some small annoyance towards me over and over and over again and it didn't seem to bother them that they were constantly annoying me, that's when it would move past the point where I could easily brush it off.

First time, okay you didn't know. Second time, now you're getting the hint that it's annoying. Third fourth or fifth time when you've shown you're unwilling to make some minor adjustment in your life in order to stop bothering others is what puts you in the rear end in a top hat category.

It's not the act itself that makes you the rear end in a top hat, it's the fact that you don't see any reason to change.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Spatial posted:

If someone cut off my hair in my sleep I can't say I would be worrying too much about how to heal their mental health. There's only so far someone can go before their situation just stops mattering.

Yes but have you considered that this could make you indirectly responsible for sanctimonious lectures from drive-by posters?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for feeling hurt that I found out I’m less healthy than my gf?

Lol every friend group in their twenties has that one guy that everyone else agrees "is gonna get his rear end kicked one day" but instead everyone just gets to heartily laugh at Mr. Macros when his girlfriend severely deflates his ego.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

trickybiscuits posted:

When my brother was a grad student living in a shared house, he ended up handling the utilities payment. Someone else in the house was upset that people were keeping the light on in the hallway because it cost money. My brother figured out how much money it cost to keep the light on 24/7 every month and offered the person that amount. It was like twelve cents. That's what you get when you live with a computer science major!

Holy poo poo would I love to write someone a $0.12 spite check every month and act achingly sincere as I did it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Can't wait to be "influenced" by someone who lives on someone else's charity and doesn't do poo poo all day long.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

teen witch posted:

My professor yanked my insulin pump off the table, thinking it was a phone. She broke it. Can I demand she replace it ?

I love the "if it was an accident then it wasn't my fault" defense. When I was a high school a family friend walked through the sliding glass door of a rental property and refused to pay for it because "I thought it was open, why should I have to pay for something that wasn't my fault?".

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

In my experience in the restaurant industry, when a table orders an appetizer and entree at the same time but wants their appetizer first, lazy servers will put both in at the same time and put a note on the ticket like "appetizers first".

The cooks generally ignore this, because their job is to make the food and get it out as efficiently as possible, which means first-in first-out. It's unfair to ask them to skip around in the queue and try to correctly time the courses for a table, that's the server job. Or sometimes the appetizer is ready first but by the time someone gets around to taking it to the table, everything else is ready too, and once the food is ready, it's got to be taken to the table both because that's when it's at it's best, and because you can't have one table's food sitting there blocking every other table's food from coming out.

If you're the customer and it's that important to you, you just have to order your appetizers first, or there's a good chance you'll wind up in the OP's position where you don't really have any good options.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

bell jar posted:

When I was a waiter our system let you put the whole order in at once but only send the entrees (appies) to the kitchen. When you'd noticed that the table was nearly finished with them, you'd put in the request for the mains (entrees) and they'd usually be ready by the time you'd finished clearing the table of the first round of dishes, etc. This was over ten years ago, so you'd think that things have only gotten better since then.

Yeah that's still around, but you have to actually use it (correctly) in order for it to be effective, and not everybody does.

Edit:

Motronic posted:

It's 2022. Any reasonable POS system (and you know that lovely chains like the cheesecake factor are running entirely on electronic POS systems) can be set to fire the entrees after the apps are up (the runner or the kitchen punches things out as they are done and the system fires the rest of the order, or the server releases the rest of the order - depends on how the place is run).

So either this exists and the server(s) aren't using the POS correctly, or it doesn't exist (unlikely at a chain place).

I've had the unfortunate experience of working on several of these systems, and it's really appropriate that "Point Of Sale" abbreviates as something more appropriate. But this is basic, basic functionality that has been around for decades in all of the major systems.

You say you have experience in the restaurant industry. Is this not something you have seen? What kind of places/systems did you have to deal with? Even freaking Aloha can do this, and that's easily the jankiest mainstream one I've come across.

Of course I've seen systems like this, but the problem is that not everybody uses it correctly. I've never worked at a chain and can't speak for the server in the OP, but in my experience the good servers take full advantage of the POS to make their jobs as easy as possible, and the more mediocre ones don't. Sometimes they're scared of computers (yes really) and don't want to do any more than is absolutely necessary. Sometimes they're scared they'll forget to send the second part (again) so they just do it all at once. Sometimes they just don't care that much and want to turn the table quickly and are counting on societal pressure to get a decent tip regardless.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 7, 2022

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Just say you still like the lasagna but you're a little burnt out on it and don't want to get sick of it and would like to change it up.

I get sick of foods I actually love if I eat them week after week after week.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I used to know a guy who would make a big show of pronouncing gyro "hero", probably because he wanted people to realize he was the only person smart enough to make the connection between the word gryo and the origin of the "hero" sandwich (there isn't one).

"I think I'll have my hero with feta. Are you also getting a hero? What are you getting on your hero? Ahh $5.99 not a bad price for a hero."

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Nebrilos posted:

You don't think that is a terrifying amount of control for a landlord to hold over their tenant? "Raise your kids according to the way I choose, or I'm tripling your rent!" Why are you okay with this? What if it was a Christian landlord annoyed that their step-nephew had stopped going to church, or something?

You're right if the situation was totally different people would probably feel differently about it. Landlords already have a terrifying amount of control over their tenants in this stupid country, but this particular one seems to be doing a favor for his brother's family while also looking out for his niece.

None of us are writing legislation here, just sharing our opinions about one specific incident.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Sisal Two-Step posted:

am i reading the same potato recipe as you all? the one with a cup of ranch?

Yeah no kidding. Also that's two cups of cheese for like six potatoes.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Right, he should 100% stop cooking these potatoes for for the family because the family doesn't like them, that's why he's the rear end in a top hat. But for the actual taste of the dish we only have the input of a professional gourmet chef, a second adult who doesn't cook for a living, and a few children of unspecified age. She doesn't seem to understand that cheese, ranch, and old bay all contain salt, maybe take her input with a grain of salt (:hurr:)?

It's an unusual combination and may be offputting, but is probably a comfort food for the chef for some specific reason. But clearly the wife and kids have plenty of times and they don't like it so ... do something else. My initial response was just that it wasn't an unusual proportion of wet ingredients for mashed potatoes, most home recipes underdo it in that regard.

Just because something is your profession doesn't mean you're infallible within that field.

Hell, there are countless people the world over making a lot more money with a lot more important jobs than him that have no clue what they're doing.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Assuming this is America, I understand people's reservations about eating an animal they've never eaten or probably even seen served in their whole lives.

Part of being a good cook/host is knowing your audience, and if you're springing not just an unusual food but an entirely new species on people, you shouldn't get mad when they don't want to try it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

mediaphage posted:

lol turtle soup has been widely eaten in america over the years, it's just fallen out of favour outside of sportsman/hillbilly circles

regardless

"argument to which I was told I was "a fool if I thought anybody likes turtle soup"."

is not a cool thing to say to someone who made you dinner. full stop.

That's exactly my point that the vast majority of Americans nowadays don't eat turtles and probably don't know anybody who does either. In America most people think of turtles as either cartoon ninjas or pets, it's not very thoughtful to expect people to eat meat from a "pet" animal.

Regardless, maybe the guests were assholes about it too I don't know I wasn't there but it sounds like this guy got pretty emotional so he was being pretty uncool about it too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

If you've been socially conditioned for two plus decades to not think of a certain animal (or even reptiles as a whole) as food, it doesn't make you a child or a baby to not want to eat that animal. Would you call someone a baby who doesn't want to eat monkey or cat or hamster meat?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

mediaphage posted:

yes, because of how they responded. obviously these posts only get one side of an argument, but this is pretty specific:

"argument to which I was told I was "a fool if I thought anybody likes turtle soup"."

which i brought up before. that's just being an rear end in a top hat to be an rear end in a top hat. there's definitely a way to be like, "i'm sorry you clearly put a lot of work into this but i don't think i can be comfortable eating this," or somesuch. the fool line is very telling.

so yeah, everyone was children about this. op was an rear end, too, but not as bad as the others. again, turtle is still eaten in nontrivial of the US and just because you feel like you've been "socially conditioned" doesn't mean it's an inappropriate choice

From the OP's telling of it, it sounds like everybody politely declined, the OP pushed and they stood their ground, he was "really mad" and stewed about it for the rest of dinner, OP brought it up again, an argument ensued, and then he was called a fool. People are only going to be decorous for so long before they tell you to shut up about your stupid turtle soup.

And turtle soup is absolutely an inappropriate choice to spring on a group of your average twenty-something Americans for a dinner party.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling out my hypocritical holier than thou uncle for having a mistress?

They just kept both yelling at me and in a moment of anger I blurted out "how's your Mistress by the way? Does she like the new apartment?" I said it without even thinking I didn't want to cause my mom problems, my other uncle (the one who told her) yelled at my mother saying she wasn't supposed to tell anyone, my mother ran away crying. I went to to comfort her and apologize that it was an accident but now she won't speak to me, but I feel I had every right to defend myself against this hypocritical rear end (the two timing holier than thou uncle).

There's a lot going on in this one but LOL at the other uncle immediately crumpling and telling on himself and his sister. Great poker face there dude.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I like that sandwich boy thinks skepticism of his idea is only because people don't understand it.

"No see what you guys are missing is that I want to make all the money without actually doing any of the hard work."