Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My Job's HR decided today to get ahead of Bidens Executive Order and is asking for either proof of vaccination or an email saying "I'm not vaccinated" by the end of the week in case fed dollars/contracts are gonna be withheld based on us not keeping records I guess. I wonder if I can bribe someone in HR to give rough figures on what the percentage split looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

real talk from a car parts plant in SC: we started giving a $100 straight cash bonus for proof of vaccination back in march and are still below a 40% take rate as of thursday

Currently we're at a 60% response rate with the vast majority reporting vaccinated. There is apparently a subset of unvaxed who said they'll get the thing if we require it but haven't felt the need to because they're full time remote, which is just :psyduck:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reminder that the NYPD, despite the union's bluster, had only 34 officers (32 of which were already retirement eligible) resign rather than get the shot.

First time I've heard of cops so scared of getting shot and no one dying.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What if he does, anyone wanna convert

I think I'd take the stephen fry approach which is, all this bullshit that could have been done a long rear end time ago, all this suffering and bullshit could have been prevented and now you show your happy rear end up? Get hosed bruh.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Or we could fix our broken system of public safety and not have everyone and their mother carrying. Arming more people isn't going to make anyone more safe, it's just going to ensure that we get more deadly shootouts :shrug:

Yea, I'm split personally.

Right wingers and the police shouldn't have a monopoly on guns, for obvious reasons, and better things being possible isn't on the table for tyool 2022. On the other hand, idiocy with guns isn't localized to just one group.

In short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JA1ffd5Ms

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I dunno if it's legit, but I'd argue there are exceptions built into the "core right to self defense" as there are places where you are not allowed to carry guns even though it's possible for you to be attacked, ex courthouses.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

They covered that a bit earlier in oral argument. The plaintiffs lawyer was cautious not to make a call one way or the other on where he stood ref subways etc.

It seems like the "right to self defense" as interpreted says you're allowed to defend yourself, it doesn't say you have to use a gun to do it.

A new age of swords is approaching!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think the "vote blue or else trump" ship has sailed for election strategy. People voting or can be persuaded about voting republican at this point just do not care.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

They can do both

I mean it makes sense as a republican stance.

- lovely old C-Levels thinking butts in seats is the best metric ever for "work"

- red necks mad at white collar middle/high education city dwellers for getting to stay at home instead of working a lovely 9 to 5

- owning the ostensibly, but not really liberal computer touchers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

How the hell are we supposed to rehabilitate these cultists? Mass distribution of Xanax packages relabeled as Emperor Trump's Patented Q Fuel?

Legalize weed, provide mental and physical health services, provide low cost housing.

The % that remain brain washed after getting most of their basic needs met will solve themselves through a combination of horse medicine and bad gun safety.

This of course will never happen, because republicans need people to be full of vitriol to have voters outside of rich white people and democrats need the money of the aforementioned rich white people

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm all for everyone having the opportunity to work from home as needed, but seeing all the enthusiasm for permanent remote work is like watching folks sprint jubilantly toward a cliff.

counter-point for the US: If our collective asses where replaceable by some dude in south east asia who can be paid pennies on the dollar to make crud apps they would have done so far before covid existed, butts in seats be damned. 100% Telework in tech has been possible and doable for 90% of positions for at least the last decade, the remaining 10% being break fix and datacenter stuff.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I can't imagine this goober has ever been through any sort of hiring process.

Creds/experience has never been the sole or even most important factor in hiring someone, if it was there wouldn't be things like interviews and I wouldn't have to deal with really really dumb co-workers in cybersec.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think it's acting. Unless you're a psychopath recalling merking some dude should illicit some sort of emotional response. That's not to say it should buy him leeway for loving up multiple times and then shooting people, especially since he had to go out of his way to be in the situation in the first place. Like I think outside of big money poo poo heads and elected officials, it's easy to forget sometimes people aren't malicious they're just stupid as gently caress.

Again, that's not to say he shouldn't see the inside of a prison for it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've been to traffic court a few times and been inside veterans court. Have yet to see a judge get angry at anyone. Even when a judge has been basically lied to. Maybe I only see relatively nice judges?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone that is defined as a "use of force" expert has to be some sorta grifter.

That could just me being naturally suspicious of anyone in the "punch/kick/grapple/shooting" sports saying they're competent in anything that isn't putting a "punch/kick/grapple/projectile" on target.

Like if someone at my grapplesports gym told me the sky was blue, I'd have to go outside and double check to make sure I'm not being sold something dumb.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Problematic Soup posted:

I mean, it’s not completely terrible in isolation, but it definitely has a strong conservative slant, and that’s kind of the rub when you have people in power in the republican party who are basically dogwhistling the whole “free helicopter rides for communists” poo poo, or whatever john bircher retread poo poo that the q people are cooking up.

Unfortunately people who slant liberal/left in the martial arts community tend to not do martial arts as their full time gig, especially in the "executive protection/self defense" world where it takes a certain mentality to have the right amount of paranoia, anxiety, and love of guns to consider it as a career. The best you can generally hope for is a dude who doesn't talk politics, but is uncomfortable going to walmart with out a strap.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 11, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

But also it’s just more terrifying to think about a person committing violence against you than it is to think about falling down your steps or getting in a car wreck, so I understand why people (self included) outsize it in our heads.

Yea, my personal thought is that everything I can't deal with by being aware, not putting myself in stupid situations, and de-escalating can be dealt with by BJJ and boxing, basically belligerent drunk people.

Everything else, like someone competent trying to murder or rob me, a weapon is gonna do nothing more than be some fancy loot on my corpse.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'd actually say the first half you do (illegal transport or possession) you would have a valid claim. As a mental exercise just replace Pillsbury Rittenhouse with a POC Janitor who works in the Bronx going home each night around 3:00 AM and otherwise is clean and has little or no record.

Second half, eh not so much, but that also depends on if the person was doing anything to provoke (saying generally, not here).

Depends. I would certainly have questions if the janitor decided to stop to hangout at a riot in Brunswick on his way home.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 12, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's cool that noted Eurovision contestants Jedward have come out to support Britney

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Buttigieg has the “High Hopes” crew, but does anyone like Harris?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh boy, "it's her turn" all over again.

Not currently, I think, but there will be.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thwomp posted:

But we also now have mass media and a right wing media ecosystem that is just insulating and indoctrinating conservative leaning voters. Who knows what effect that’d have on any outcome.

Yea, I suspect something so horrific would need to happen to break away conservative voters from the GOP in any meaningful number.

No idea what would be, I don't even think bush on his death bed saying "I fabricated 9/11 with the help of my dear friend Donald J Trump, Mitch McConnel, and various other people in my cabinet" would do it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

Look, they leave much (so very much ) to be desired.

We would have twice as many dead under Trump. Everything that we are complaining about now would be accelerated, others have already observed that the republicans are quick to push through plans while the dems don’t.

Are they doing what I want them to do? No. Are they better than Trump? Yes. I can hold that opinion, it isn’t like you have to do mental gymnastics to equate the current admin as “better”.

In the state of georgia, is it enough better to matter? The legislature has basically passed laws saying "lol good luck getting a democrat city dog catcher let alone electoral college votes ever again" and legislative democrats have no stomach to deal with it and the president, if he has any ability to deal with it, will get owned by the courts. So as far as I can see the only thing Biden being in office has changed for people in this state is...1) We don't have to fear that the president is gonna start a nuclear war and 2) I guess savannah will get some better port facilities?

edit: Like if the GA Repubs go insta-fash and start implementing de-facto jim crow is the Biden-DOJ and Democrat congress gonna do anything about it?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 14, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Out of curiosity has the guard ever been stood up in advance of rioting based on a certain court decision and the dude doesn't walk? Not that people could predict with certainty a jury wouldn't declare a certain verdict, but it seems like an expensive thing to do if you weren't fairly sure

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Pre-Trump, the general conjecture is that vaccination rates were decreasing because people had forgotten how bad the vaccinated diseases *were*, so they were susceptible to woo and anti-government messaging. And sure enough:

https://twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1460217524633718790?t=M4BWMsho6K0MZXPrgTQL9g&s=19

This kind of thing is also why I generally want parents kept far the gently caress away from school curricula. If the question "is the COVID vaccine safe for kids?" is a 46% yes to 51% no question, these same people probably shouldn't be in charge of what determines a truth and what determines critical thinking.

I've always been skeptical of Dr. Mom's medical credentials personally.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

No, there isn't. Lawgoons discord reactions have generally been WTF and the gently caress.

It's the one charge even some of the lower ends of CHUDs even admitted (privately), "yeah he actually that."

So this is definitely Jury Nullification right? There's no way to get around, a 17 year old having a rifle with video of him having a rifle?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Loucks posted:

One thing we can all agree on I think is that Gosar loving sucks.

Is this the dude who had a political hit ad taken out by his own family?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I mean, if you don't want to end up with the dumbest version of "Who's on first".

I've never seen who's on first played out as anything but a bit, so I guess we can cross this off a list.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nice try at tempting me to click on an onion article tho

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

she could deliver Georgia gift-wrapped and probably run a winning national campaign.

Stacey Abrams couldn't deliver herself the governors mansion with only slight election fuckery by the secretary of state, she and in fact no one blue will be able to deliver Georgia with the legislature putting election fuckery into law, because we're not getting election reform.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just got pfizer booster at Sams club. In and out fifteen minutes including standing around time. I don't feel like I have LTE yet.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

edit: meh not as funny as thought.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

Alright, so, someone smarter than me (it's a low bar I promise), does this set any sort of precedent? Or am I wrong in how that works?

I don't believe Self Defense works on precedent so much as jury credulity, but maybe I'm wrong. Mr. Nice?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't see how anyone can think shooting at a speeding car is a good idea.

Best outcome, you nail the dude and now you have an out of control car. Congrats you've endangered the public.

Worst outcome, the bullet misses and nails a pedestrian.

edit: Like I'm not sure what the correct play is, but it seems firing at a dude even actively trying to nail pedestrians doesn't seem like the best solution.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 23, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alright, for arguments sake let's say it's true global elites unleashed covid.

To what end? They're already in control of every thing from entertainment to food distribution. Wouldn't disrupting the status quo by killing a bunch of people and loving up globalized economy's be bad for them? Why did Trump and a bunch of other us politicians get covid?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Festivus Miracle posted:

No point in staying positive or hoping for the best when the past two years have delivered nothing but news wildly past our worst expectations. I fully expect this new COVID variant to ravage the planet, again, because people would literally rather die choking to death on their own fluids than wear a mask or get a free shot.

Honestly back in 2016-2019 I was fully expecting Trump and the erosion of the state department to have basically caused an international emergency to such a degree where the rest of the world decided the US was too stupid to live and locked the US out of the global market the response to which would be war to annihilation and a crack down of civil liberties ending with the embrace of the atom.

I could not have predicted plague and nurgilites.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The IRS thing is just astounding. Does anyone who's not cheating on their taxes actually get harassed by the IRS? I made a legitimate mistake a few years back and handling it was the most reasonable experience imaginable, everything was well documented and the timeline was generous.

Yea, I can't imagine anyone making an honest mistake on taxes is worth while enough to harass and threaten. No idea what the line would be, but I doubt less than 8k in back taxes is enough for the IRS to put the screws to you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ataxerxes posted:

Well, that is no suprise. Most of the people I know who work in anything related to cybersec, myself included, want absolutely nothing to do with a bunch of loony, toxic racists. Add to this the unwillingness of Trump to actually pay anyone anything and you have a mess that draws hucksters and people who think they are hot poo poo in the field, not the actually very expensive pros.

eh... I'm more willing to say cybersec, especially offensive guys, are a grab bag. There's a lot of people in the field willing to help assholes so long as the boat money clears and they're not all gormless hucksters either, the saving grace is as you said their inability to pay reasonable rates for it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Article explicitly says that the talented chuds are all clustered on the offensive side, making their ability to defend p poo poo.

You don't have to be a chud to take chud money friend. At the very least places with more deniability as a "platform for people to just ask questions" could hire decently reputable MSSPs* and choose not to, and there are definitely defense side people who will take boat money every so often to manage the security side of things and don't give a gently caress about who or what they're doing it for.

*Well, as reputable as any of those business can be at least.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Are those real trees? they look fabricated. Like someone made trees out of those shag carpet toilet lid covers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Platystemon posted:

This is mostly a product of bad lighting and bad photography, but I feel that that tree would be creepy enough in any context.

Yea, the dolls in the trees are certainly a decision.