Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
the new tracks aren't great and i'm probably not going to return to them. i hope they can be avoided from random selection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I’ve missed all the quests in the elden ring and just been playing by what I want to be doing and it rules and elden rings is the best game ever.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Procrastine posted:

Oracle remakes in the Link's Awakening remake engine feels like the most obvious move possible and I don't know why they haven't done it. Is the Capcom thing really that much of an obstacle? Or maybe they've just been taking their time making sure these won't have LA's frame issues.
Grezzo’s working on something unannounced I assume. 🤷‍♂️

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

hatty posted:

Switch in the streets and a Vita in the sheets

you mean a closeted pedophile

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Waffle! posted:

Kirby doesn't have feet, those are just large calluses

Well this awakened something in me.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

Congratulations on your new computer programming career

idgi

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Why did they decide to replace Charles Martinet for loving Chris Pratt for the movie?

He’s so Cool

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

drat mega 64 still got it

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Extreme G is also a underrated classic.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I think whether or not you like the N64 depends on where you were in life at the time. Millennials like the N64, Gen Xers like the PlayStation 1.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I got to the first ending of Dragon Quest XI and my main takeaway is that it is insane how many all time games were released in 2017

(technically 2018 for the english version and 2019 for the Switch version but cmon)

2015-2019 was a golden age, indeed.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Now that there’s competition making knock off giant Switch handhelds I’m betting they’re going to go back to their handheld being very portable. They might try to bring back the clamshell design.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like turn based combat and I like Yakuza and I still agree with this. I want to beat people up!!!!

I remember when Yakuza 0 came out and the gaming community framed the series as “great stories but bad combat” and I couldn’t disagree about the combat more. It was super satisfying, I was happy to engage in almost all of the fights aside from when I got into too many random encounters and it gummed up the pacing.

There was a breakdancing move set!!!!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I’m playing through Wario Land 4 and god that game rules. It’s also like 20 years old now lmao.

I wish that team made more of them instead of Wario Ware and Rhythm Heaven games. Those games are also good, but Wario Land 4 felt hyper creative but also substantial, and their take on 2d platformers was completely original.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 12, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I don’t think they’ll make another Wario Land from one of Nintendo’s A-teams, but they have outsourced it before.

Shake It was Alright, Master of Disguise was awful.

But I do want one from the A-Team. I miss the rambunctious energy being in something more substantial than minigame compilations.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 12, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

*appears in the shape of an n64 controller*

BE NOT AFRAID

Biblically accurate console controller.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

hatty posted:

The N64 stick was really sensitive so games tuned to it are kinda squirrelly with modern sticks
Yeah and this extends to modern N64 controller replacements.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Spellman posted:

Even the official one? Shame
Haven’t used that one but it’s probably legit.

I meant the actual controller replacements for N64s in this modern day and age. Like the Brawler or the Tribute.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Been playing Origami King and liking it so far. The battle system irks me, mostly because it doesn't feel like a battle system, more just like some sliding puzzle to solve. I like the actual concept of sliding enemies to line then up and such, what irks me about it is that there is (so far, anyway, I'm currently following the first ribbon) always a solution to get a 1-turn win. As a result it feels less like the game is giving a reward for solving the puzzle, and more like failing to solve it is a punishment, if that makes sense.

I would've preferred if enemies were more randomly assorted and board movements unlimited, having you scramble to rotate and shift stuff around to get enemies hopefully in a good configuration to do damage to them. Would make actually lining them up correctly feel pretty good, as opposed to being the 'default'. Still, the writing is great and I like exploring the world for treasures and whatnot.

That’s what they are. Little puzzles.

The RPGness of the game is all smoke and mirrors. Just enjoy it as the light Undertalesque puzzle game it is.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

fond memories of my friend in 5th grade arguing, almost to the point of tears, that it was pronounced Waver Ace and people who rode jet skis competitively were called wavers

That rules and I hope he’s living a happy life.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Luigi is better and here's why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtpWnhviGPQ

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's a lot more forgivable in morrowind since 99% of dialogue is text anyway

if you're gonna voice every single line though that is inexcusable

Oblivion came out in very early 2005 tho. It was a “before time” game. I think it’s forgivable.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

People give a lot of poo poo to Bethesda games. A lot of it justified. But Fallout New Vegas is regarded as a “All time great” now. Like one of the greatest games ever made. If not the greatest. Still relevant today. More memes than you can watch before you die. People associate it with changing their drat gender even. And it’s formula is, undeniably, a Bethesda game framework + top tier writing and world designing.

Edit: Are Bethesda games near the same quality in writing and world design? Aside from arguably Morrowind, no. Hell no. But there is something special about that framework that is nearly exclusive to Bethesda games that is special, that I miss now that it’s been eight years since the last one.

And Starfield looks so loving bad fuuuuuck. FUUUUCK. WHY DID YOU JUST MAKE NO MAN’S SKY? WE HAVE THAT GAME ALREADY AND IT SUCKS.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 30, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I love being able to buy forty games in a fanatical bundle again. God bless the Steam Deck.

Also the battery is great considering it’s brute forcing the portability of the big AAA games. When you’re playing indie games it gets 4-8 hours, but getting two hours out of Elden Ring is also crazy.

edit: but uh the switch is cool. It has Kirby and the triangle strategy game thumbs up emoji

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Wait the rolls in Mario Party are predetermined, and “hitting the dice at the right time” is an illusion?

What the gently caress? What the gently caress??

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Somebody earlier said it was only for the original game and Mario Party DS, chill you dummies

1 is the one I’m talking about. Oh god my life is a lie.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I like it when a game’s action gets so intense that the framerate starts dipping.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I like it less when the game’s framerate starts inexplicably dipping, separate from the action, because the game is trying to load in some environment or shaders in the background.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Never played a Kirby. What Kirby should be my first Kirby?
Kirby Superstar Deluxe. It’s the most Kirby. Also it’s the last time the series had any semblance of difficulty.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Kirby Superstar, Return to Dreamland or the 3ds ones are all excellent intros to current kirby gameplay, older games tend to be a bit more simple in ability movesets but are still very fun. Superstar, Adventure and Dreamland 3 are also all on the Nintendo console offerings for being on their plan.

Kirby Superstar Deluxe has a pretty advanced moveset.

It also has a remake of the first gameboy game.

drat that game is good.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I'm halfway into Tears of the Kingdom and... Eh...

It's enjoyable, but falls short compared to "Breath Of The Wild."

Breath of the Wild was criticized for being perceived as "shallow" by many, including me. Looking back, however, I think those criticisms may have been a byproduct of people's expectations of Open World games that were influenced by what we now call the "Prestige Game" format (or more derogatorily speaking, "Ubisoftification"): Open worlds that are densely packed with a scattershot of collectables, chores, and mini games that are all calling out to the player to run to. Through this lens, I can see why people think TOTK is better.

I think these criticisms overlook the design of Breath of the Wild, which, in my opinion, was intentionally designed to condition the player to find meaning in the environment that emotionally invests them in a way that most open world games don't. The content cycle seems basic: You see a shrine, and you walk towards it. And along the way you might stumble upon a chest, or a NPC.

But then you come across the Koroks, little goofy guys that reward you with seeds when you discover their secret puzzles, and now the world is telling the player "Hey, there's meaning in the quiet empty places too." And now you're encouraged to keep your eyes off the minimap and take in the world. As a result, your relationship with Hyrule, even when it's simply traversing it, becomes more interesting.

The way the game really encourages exploration, however, by how it deviates from the seemingly rigid formulas in very unexpected ways. You may find yourself naked on a deserted island, you may find a tiny cabin in the mountains with a old little person there that'll challenge your shield sledding skills, you may find yourself building a whole rear end town. I didn't expect those things to happen, and it's amazing that they did! These deviations make the world feel mysterious and alive, that there's stuff out there that I don't know about and will never know about.

In contrast, Tears of the Kingdom feels Ubisoft as gently caress. A dense map filled with a trillion of collectables, minigames, and puzzles. The game shifts the focus from environmental attentiveness to easily spotted points of interest. Instead of exploring the world on the ground level, I can just shoot myself out of a tower and glide to the next shiny or floaty thing, bypassing the nuanced navigation of the first game. The world feels less significant now that there's more stuff to do in it, ironically.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 14, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Nah, my post is good.

Also, The Depths sucks! Just a large big ol' chunk of bad content. Just a bad No Man's Sky biome stinking up the place.

The game is still good overall. But if someone is deciding to only play BOTW or TOTK I'm suggesting BOTW. It's the best designed, while TOTK is the most designed.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 14, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I want to get excited for Mario Wonder but it’ll at the end of the day only be another 2D Mario game and we had a whoooooole bunch of those in the 2010s AND Mario Maker.

The only way this’ll get me excited is if they really deviate from the modern 2D Mario level design formula of “introduce new gimmick -> ramp up difficulty of gimmick -> subvert the gimmick” and make it more like Mario World where they were just vibing and playing around with the really cool 2d game engine they created.

Otherwise eh, it’ll at least still be fun.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Looper posted:

what the heck
I think they can screw up the pacing depending on how a game distributes them and what direction they take them in a game. I think they’re great in Super Mario World, but more annoying in NSMB2.

They’re cool in SMW because they kinda feel like you’re playing a corrupted version of the game. Very little signaling of what the “puzzle” is. Which you think would make them gatekeepers, yet a 7-year-old is usually able to brute force the level (although they’re going to feel pretty lost.)

In other games they’re kinda just gimmicky slogs.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Has any review talked about the amount of levels in Wonder? It seems like it’s around 49?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Augus posted:

Mario Wonder is absolutely delightful, it has the same level of charm and creativity as the 3D Marios
Yes, it is incredibly charming.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

So apparently Daisy got a new VA in Wonder as well:

https://twitter.com/GZFernVO/status/1715442836169183277
Daisy having a non-binary voice actress feels pretty on brand imo.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Liking the kid/noob friendly features in SMBW.

See phantoms of other players for hints on how to solve things. Sometimes I’ll jump in place and make the trumpet gesture to hint hard at someone about where to find a secret

Difficulty ratings on levels

Tons of purple coins to buy tons of extra lives

Standees and online players can resurrect you

They add all these features while letting the levels stay the same difficulty

Have any of these been used before in Mario games

I do have one complaint.

The ! Block badge enables blocks that trivializes platforming puzzles and gives you waaaay more power ups, so it gives you the “easy” version of the level…

BUT ALSO UNLOCKS NEW AREAS. It’ll also reveal secrets you could’ve stumbled upon. But there’s just whole rear end new segments you gain access to. Not using the badge basically keeps you from seeing all the content. It kinda sucks!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I hope there’s a “!?” Block badge that litters the levels with Kaizo Mario blocks that sabotage your jumps and block you from powerups and safe passages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It’s not so much that it would take the place of another badge, in fact I would prefer a badge that was just “you can’t use other badges but you get to see more cool stuff”, but the ! Block Badge makes everything too easy as well.