Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

They called it nintendo switch cause nintendo switched to relying on atlus to save their console

If that was true, how come Atlus did not make a Snowboard Kids 3? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

all of those things are bad though
if you're not going to bother making the game interesting until the post-game please don't bother making the game

Don't worry, D3 is not interesting after you reach the post-game, either

American McGay posted:

Diablo 2R is sick and I'm not even clouded by nostalgia because I never played it as a kid. I hear it's getting a patch pretty soon with buffs all around, which is good because I'm still banging my head against Act 2 Hell at the moment.

What class and what kind of build are you playing? :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

Zeal Paladin. I didn't wanna do hammer, whenever I play a game with builds I always try to do something a little unique, even if it's less efficient.

That's a pretty fun build depending on what you combine it with. I think one of the later patches removed the iron maiden issue that used to be annoying in Act 4, so that helps :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

A game I considered on the Switch, esp while on sale is CrossCode. I played a little on the PC but it seems great for the switch. I remember liking the combat for what little I played, but I looked up thoughts on it in the past thread and there seems to be a mild consensus that the puzzles themselves are unfun. Are they that annoying to pull off/get past, enough to hinder the experience? Or is the general world/combat enough to carry it?

I liked playing it up until some pyramid dungeon where the puzzles take a fairly long time and I just can't find a required key to get past some door so now I have to go back and see if I missed something in the previous section and it has completely killed my momentum in the game :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think lightning damage was the least likely of the fire/cold/lightning trio to have monsters be immune to it, since they could only roll immunity against up to two out of three elements and lightning was the last that got rolled against.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

i thought the elemental immunities in hell were just preset per monster type. but it's been 1,000 years so i may be wrong. farewell

As I recall monster types have static resistances for each difficulty, but then uniques and similar special monsters can roll some random modifiers (cold enchanted, ghostly or similar) that stack additional resistances on top of the innate monster resistances and this can cause extra immunities.
I think those ones specifically roll fire->cold->lightning or possibly cold->fire->lightning and only two immunities are allowed on any given monster, so the lightning ends up being skipped if the unique monster already rolled enough immunities before it gets there. It would just make the lightning immunity slightly less common than the other two.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

Like I said, it's just a hunch going off of how it was fixed in Tetris 99, since digital buttons having a sensitivity setting is already kind of weird. I wonder if the joycons having discrete buttons being the default has created QA blind spot where input filtering is being skipped entirely with a lot of games.

I did the tape mod on my own controller but the T99 sensitivity patch had the most drastic effect on my play before and after so it's definitely something that seems fixable in software. It'd be neat if it's something that could be implemented in a firmware patch or something to have that fix for every game, but who knows what kind of weird bugs it might introduce if a game isn't expecting that behaviour.

I wouldn't say that digital buttons having a sensitivity setting is particularly weird, as long as you consider that it's sensitivity in time instead of sensitivity in space.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah so he’s an early feudal noble.

Though they generally got paid in land

Mario prefers to be paid in cake

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Isn't it also a lot of people's favorite generation though?
I feel like the designs both for the creatures and overall aesthetic were the highpoint for the 2d series, and maybe the series overall

Would that not be at least in part because many people tend to think their first ever pokémon game is their favorite generation, though? Pretty sure that's how it works with Zelda and other series, too.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

2022 is the year of fire, the year of destruction...
the year we take back what is ours.
It is the year of rebirth...
the year of great sadness...
the year of pain...
and the year of joy.
It is a new age.
It is the end of history.
It is the year everything changes

:golfclap:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the Kirbys to vote.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

switch is for comfy balcony gaming if you have one

Especially in a hammock

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chaleski posted:

Jesus Christ at this point I'm convinced literally any game ever released could end up on the Switch

Sid Meier's Pirates when?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's so good. I never played it, originally, but played the remake and loved it. Ship combat? Cool! Sword fighting? Nice!

Wait.... There's DANCING TOO?!

I played the old C64 version which was cool, didn't particularly like the 90s remake and then really liked the 2005-ish remake.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

I am shocked. SHOCKED that Nintendo Youtubers automatically assumed these tracks were just straight ports from Tour from a one minute trailer that didn't show much

https://i.imgur.com/JYGtyy8.gifv

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Here's an opinion we can all agree on, video games are cool and I like my nintendo switch and can't wait for Kirby

I can wait for Kirby but as for the rest of it I'm all with you

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bushisms.txt posted:

Select your usual character and car type, press search and it will show you what builds are better. Typically anything heavy, I use a heavy mii. One of the metas is waluigi on wiggler.

Toad with a standard kart, blue standard tires and a plane glider doesn't seem to have any obvious upgrades :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Meowywitch posted:

Metroid Prime for babies?

Metwoid Pwime?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Didn't one of the earliest Mario game manuals have some note about most of the Toads of Mushroom Kingdom having been turned into blocks, meaning you also destroy them as part of normal gameplay?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
They were also made by Capcom (or one of their subsidiaries) and not by Nintendo, which probably explains why they feel so different.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth Prime posted:

Okami is in my personal all time top ten. Not for being a particularly impressive game from a technical standpoint (because it really isn’t IMO), but for how it made me feel the whole time I was playing it. Something about returning color and flowers and life to a devastated world hit me just right.

Some of the soundtrack is fantastic, too, which helps a lot.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

If the Mario movie post credit scene isn't a tease of link or zelda then what are we even doing here

It'll be a teaser for turning IGN's old fake Zelda movie trailer into a real movie :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remembering thinking that Ganondorf was the dumbest loving name when I first played OoT.

I still kind of think it sucks.

It does kind of make it sound as though he might be from Düsseldorf :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

probably not entirely wrong with this, like isn't a lot of LoZ stuff based on old German folklore?

Celtic mythology, I believe, but the Japanese seem quite fond of highly stereotyped German/Austrian medieval fantasy characters to the point where it could have some impact as well.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

The only ones worth getting are 4 and 6. 5, if you're into Four Job Fiesta.

Save your money.

Was 3 the one where red mages were a bit unbalanced, as in being almost as good at both melee and black/white magic as more specialized classes?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Weaponized Autism posted:

Any recommendations for someone who hasn't played Pokemon since Red & Gold on GBC and wants to get back into it? I'm considering getting Violet but wanted to know how the Pokemon games have changed since the old days. The only thing I know is that there are more Pokemon now, with more types.

I personally liked Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee because it felt pretty close to the originals outside of the very different wild encounters

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

I can think of two notable exceptions to the above that I have been dying for them to put on the NSO: Banjo Tooie and mother loving Diddy Kong Racing! Give them both to me!

There are probably others. Jet Force Gemini?

Oh and it's not Rare but how about Mischief Makers?

How could you forget Snowboard Kids?!? :argh:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

everyone should play Dragon Quest XI

I have never heard my Switch's fan before or after, but it could get quite audible when playing DQ XI in docked mode :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

1080 Snowboarding is coming to Switch Online sometime soon.

A game infamous for wrecking analog sticks. This could be trouble.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

So watching this is making me wonder what the premise of Tears of the Kingdom is. "The heroes failed a hundred years ago and you're exploring the ruins" is a fantastic premise for an open world game. A lonely journey through ruins, meeting the few people making their lives in an empty world was the whole appeal of Breath of the Wild.

So if this is the same world, and the direct followup to that video- Zelda and Link are rebuilding a Hyrule that we already explored. Thoroughly. I guess there's stuff in the sky now and Gannondorf is doing something? But I can't imagine they'll come close to capturing the same appeal of the first game. And nothing I've heard suggests it'll be going in a totally different direction like they did when they followed up Ocarina of Time with Majora's Mask.

So like, without spoilers, do folks know what their angle is? I'm probably gonna get it 'cause it's been ages since I played Breath of the Wild back on the Wii U, but I can't bring myself to get that hyped about this new game 'cause I can't imagine a premise a fraction as compelling as the first coming out of this. What's the theoretical appeal of Tears of the Kingdom? I've only really seen the trailers.

This is just a guess, but perhaps they will go the Ocarina of Time route where you accidentally help Ganon take over Hyrule and then you spend the rest of the game trying to fix that?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This whole countdown thing for TotK really is giving me Majora's Mask vibes

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Precisely

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Acula posted:

God drat want there to be pegasus boots and hookshot and mole mits in totk

hell give me the gyro spinner

Just use the ultrahand to attach a winged horse to your shoes and problem solved.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what those big floating box shaped platforms are for, but I tried attaching one to what ended up being a boss and after the boss knocked it away it won't even light up for the ultrahand power anymore. I think I may have broken it :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nep-Nep posted:

All Nintendo games that are dubbed should have an alternative language option to replace all vocals with Animal Crossing style noises no matter how weird it would be for a game's tone or aesthetics.

Sort of like how the Star Fox games had alternate voice tracks?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

Who says that about the Galaxies?. It's a glorified level pack to the point I know plenty of people who prefer 1 for the framing and hub stuff that 2 streamlined away.

Not to mention that Galaxy 2 sold maybe half of what Galaxy 1 did. And Nintendo managed to annoy people across Europe, Japan and Australia by shipping it with an instructional DVD as though they were being called too stupid to figure out how to play it on their own.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I do wish they would include a "Load Game" button on the game over screen. I died probably 7 times on a miniboss and I had to quit to title screen every time because the Continue button would always just drop me back to an autosave right next to the boss with half my weapons used up

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I went up in a hot air balloon with an NPC without having the glider yet. Not ideal to be stuck up there, but fortunately there was a river in the general vicinity that I could just barely dive into :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

I put 100 hours into TotK before summer while only completing one temple. I was away for three months and my switch has an annoying issue where the left joycon occasionally disconnects in portable mode so I was happy to wait to come back to playing it on my big screen at home. I also discovered that my switch is hackable and having seen 4k 60fps TotK I want to experience the rest of the game that way, but haven't yet got around to hacking my switch properly to pull the save off it, but it's nice to have that to look forward to and now we're in the doldrums of winter I'll do it soon.

Anyway I bought Dusk and Hades in the winter sale and have been loving the poo poo out of Dusk, as I knew I would. Still have Hades to try but I'm sure I'll love that too. I also borrowed Wonder from my nephew who 100% completed it, which was convenient because I was on the fence about buying it for myself. Switch owns.

I think the nicest thing about Hades is that the god mode option sort of helps dial in the difficulty until you are just barely able to keep from dying during runs. Like a personalized difficulty level of sorts.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RealityWarCriminal posted:

does Mario Sunshine get better? I reached 30 shines to unlock the nozzles but it still feels very mid. I think mostly I dont like the controls, there's too many buttons for a Mario game

Apart from the platforming challenges where they take away F.L.U.D.D. completely it's all rather samey. It's not exactly one of their better 3D Mario games.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Sunshine is mostly pretty great when you stick to just beating the game, which us mostly really good. All the extra shines never give you a reward and are mostly really bad. It's still a must play game if you like platformers, even if it's a weaker Mario game on the whole. Its definitely not a weird mess like Star Fox Adventures or something where something obviously went wrong. I was pretty dissapointed back in the day, but I gotta admit I couldn't put the game down until the terrible final level.

I feel like it gets judged pretty harshly not just because it's a follow up to 64, but it also had to be THE platformer for the GameCube and 2002 was just an amazing year for platformers overall. You had Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter come out around the same time for PS2. Rareware was sold to microsoft, so Mario Sunshine seemed to be the only exclusive platformer you would get for the GameCube. Which meant it was competing with 64 and also 3 new Sony IP's that felt really fresh, focused and polished in comparison. All these games are flawed and are smart enough to make a lot of stuff optional. But Sunshine is the only one from that era where people can reference the flaws as a cultural touchstone, which is kind of another reason to play it honestly.

Speaking of Star Fox Adventures, I remember my first time seeing the animation when Fox gets an item and thinking they really went ham on the character detail. By the third time I saw the exact same animation I was bored. By the 5th time I just wanted a skip button every time the animation played :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

starfox adventures gets unfairly ridiculed for being a bad starfox game when its actual problem is that it's a bad zelda game

Yeah, I think there's a total of maybe 2-3 Arwing sections in the entire game, the rest is completely unrelated.