Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Replace it with 'braggart.'

It rhymes, it scans, it fits thematically, we're done.

Follow what Kirsty herself did and do “you scumbag you maggot, you’re cheap and you’re haggard” when performing live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

DaWolfey posted:

I find it unhelpful that Keir decided to wait until now to bring up the No 10 party, literally 2 days after we enter into a situation where we need increased compliance from the public to wear masks etc.
Just what was he trying to achieve? Wouldn't you hang on to this until a time when it could be more damaging to Boris, and more importantly, less damaging to public health?

Counterpoint - maybe it has more traction now we’re moving back to enhanced measures rather than before where people would be like “oh how naughty but it’s all fine now so I can’t bring myself to be bothered”

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Plenty of drugs come in through the guards anyway - they may not mind this too much at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/dfb1714b-4caa-4c87-8d66-3891ed77d5a8

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rustybear posted:

the biggest question is with two police officers kneeling on his back how did he just pop back up and double jump over a garden fence

I suspect the answer to this is drugs.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

She should change her address to the current one and then put a forward on from there, at least. Or change to yours?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Posting a picture of my razor in the toilet to defeat feminism.

e: Wife won't fish it out for me and it looks like theres piss in the water and she won't tell me where the gloves for doing the toilet are unless I clean it too

Owning the lavs.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Patel, … upper echelons of the Tory party are falling to scandals that she's clean of (because I'm certain she's never been to a party in her life).

The only parties she’s been to have been ones she’s followed behind a rush of uniforms yelling POLICE POLICE.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jippa posted:

I am staring at a "You are in a queue" screen. It isn't telling me where I am in the queue. I am itching to refresh the page in case it lagged out or something but then I will lose my place if hasn't. This doesn't seem like a good method.

I am in the queue for the queue? :crossarms:

Is this for the booster? It should give you a number. Took about 10 minutes to get 10k places. It'll also auto refresh every 15 seconds.

If it's not the booster page then who knows?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Clarence posted:

But if you don't pay attention and realise you've got through it'll timeout and chuck you back into the queue. Not sure how long the timeout is though.

It's under a minute, I was looking for my NHS number and it timed me out.

Then when I went to enter it I realised the autocomplete already knew it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If there's a chemist near you doing them, might be worth just rocking up.

The one by me has two queues - booked and walk-in, and they're taking people from both (although more from the booked, obviously).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Anyone's free around north greenwich and you can just rock up and take my slot.

Because I tested positive this morning so can't get it. :discourse:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/cafucatfood/status/1470465097323659264?s=19

Lazy posters in this thread saying there's no work to be done, have you ever considered getting the rich to pay you to smash up their houses for Christmas?

Hire Grinch get Grinched?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

He can claim he attended rather than organised, but I’d put a small bet on the platters being paid for out of his budget at least, if not his pocket.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Barry Foster posted:

If it's omicron then mandatory isolation regardless of vaccination status, but I honestly don't know how up on the NHS is in terms of informing people that they're omicron positive

EDIT

Good that you're getting the PCR. Did your flatmate get a PCR too, or are they/you just going by LFT?

I think that's changed again (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/) you now just need to do tests. But who knows, this stuff gets out of date so quickly.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also they mention 200 grand of damage was done, not even necessarily by him, his much does incarcerating someone for a decade plus cost?

It’s around £45k/year here in the UK.

There’s a bit of a drive in the prisions reform space to try and get this number out more - we think that a lot of people would at least reconsider their LOCK ‘EM UP stances if they realised how much it cost.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Death penalty costs many times more per person but a) don’t expect that to be publicised and b) WHY DO THEY NEED THOSE APPEALS ANYWAY, THEY’RE GUILTY, SIMPLE AS END OF.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

happyhippy posted:

"Go on, stick your hand in me bag"

Bene Gesserit training has had some budget cuts, I see.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Apraxin posted:

A bit late to the 'old racist stuff from childhood' chat, but throwing mine on the pile:

When I was in primary school back in the 90s, we would sometimes have a 'religion' class which basically amounted to a local reverend or rabbi or someone connected to a religious institution coming in and... doing something. Talk about their religion or a holiday that was coming up or tell a bible story, it was very random and unstructured and not really supervised by the school much. One time around Easter we had a lady who was like a deacon of some alternate protestant sect come in and tell us an Easter story, which went like:

':) Before the Romans crucified Jesus, they needed nails made for the cross. But none of the blacksmiths in town would make them, even when the Romans threatened and punished them. Eventually, they found a greedy blacksmith who thought only of money, and he made the nails that the Romans used in the Crucifixion. The day after Jesus rose, the blacksmith woke up and found the nails had mysteriously appeared in his workshop, as if they had burrowed up from the earth. He was terror-stricken, and hurriedly moved with his family to a new town. But sure enough, soon he found the nails in his workshop again. The blacksmith kept on moving, trying to escape this reminder of his crime and his guilt, but the nails followed him for all his life. After he died, the curse passed on to his children, and his children's children, and all his descendants forevermore, to show their sin.

And that, children, is where Gypsies come from, and why they always move from place to place :).'

Just seemed like another weird Bible story to Year 6 me and I never thought much of it at the time. Remembered it suddenly several years later and was like 'wait, :stonk::stonk::stonk:'

There's another one as well where the blacksmith is to make four nails, two for the hands and one for the crossed feet, and a golden one to put through the heart so Jesus couldn't rise from the earth (I guess like a vampire?)

But then a Romani child steals the golden one, and as a result Jesus is resurrected, and therefore God allows the Romani people to steal with impunity.

So yeah, all pretty racist in various ways.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jakabite posted:

The gently caress? I’ve just read two pages of quite good posts about Christmas dinner, but not one has mentioned devils on horseback (dates wrapped in bacon and roasted). The single best food.

And angels on horseback too, where you swap the dates for oysters!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jakabite posted:

Oh gently caress are you joking or is this real? Cos if it’s real I’m doing that this year, my stepmum and me love oysters

Absolutely real, and delicious. It's even in the first James Bond book.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

“47, the target is. Well, just loving all of them, alright?”

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jippa posted:

Am I misremembering this or were you able to just buy clothes off amazon relatively easily at some point? It's like 80% of the stuff is just fake. Have amazon just completely given up policing it (if they ever did)?

100% anecdote but recently I’ve been seeing a few frustrating tweets from brands saying they’re finding it impossible to get Amazon to take down fakes of their products.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

You can see the start of a positive result in the third one as well. It’s faint, but it’s there.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Aye, hunted was great fun and the highlands bloke was great, as were the two young guys who “accidentally” didn’t clear their email trash with details about a campsite on the coast but actually just disappeared into the mosque community around (I think Bradford?) while the hunters were focused on some random campsite.

The premise is exactly as above - anything which would trigger ANPR, CCTV, bank monitoring etc was relayed back by the camera crew.

Didn’t the highlands bloke get way too into it and start playing cat and mouse with the investigators? I think he did.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

EvilHawk posted:

I saw something in another thread about how the London infection rate has completely dropped off for Omnicron, but that did come with the caveat of weekend lag and issues testing etc.

That's because of the new simplified testing in London (which I think might have been posted previously).

I'm out of isolation today and I feel invincible with all of these Omni-antibodies coursing through my veins.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Niric posted:

He was cunningly displaying that he was at half mast and under maritime law this means he was legally in mourning, so cannot be prosecuted.

:golfclap:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

It's almost like the fash talking point of "the system is set up to reward people who lie and malinger" becomes perversely true, like a half-truth viewed through a spiteful mirror, because the system is absolutely set up to poo poo all over anyone who goes in with good faith assuming that as a social service it's there to help them.

I get this - especially as the advice usually given in this thread for these assessments is "Imagine your worst day, and make that your every day for the reports" because anything else will be taken as "Sounds like you're good to work then!".

I'm one of many that can relate to the pre and post 2012 job centre experience as being very, very different - my first time in 2010 was much more about finding suitable work, in 2015 (or 16, I can't remember) it was much more about making me apply to incredibly unsuitable jobs. (Such as the guy who insisted that I applied for a Barclays job at 160k/year despite me saying I did not have anywhere near the experience and reminding me that I would be sanctioned if I didn't.)

I applied, and to my great surprise I didn't get the job!.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ThomasPaine posted:

They also had a used PS5 they were charging nearly 700 quid for, even though the RRP for a new one is only 450. Some poor naive bastard's going to buy it for their kid's christmas as well. Absolute scalpers.

e: what is the deal with the PS5 shortage anyway? I know the pandemic and whatnot didn't help, but also something about a global transistor shortage or something? Seems like something that might have implications way beyond videogames!

In a big way, especially cars. My dad bought a nice new car just before COVID and I was talking to him to see if he was annoyed at the timing.

He’s not, because the price of that car second hand is still what he paid for it brand new. You can’t get them new at all, because of the chips.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

The Paul McCartney one is about dogging in a carpark at midwinter and then the filth cruise past and everyone pretends they're out caroling.

The party's on
The feelin's here
That only comes
This time of year
[jam sandwich approaches looking for easy pickings]
Simply havin' a wonderful Christmastime
Simply havin' a wonderful Christmastime

I’ve always felt it’s about Paul’s lot carrying out a witchcraft ceremony when someone unexpected wanders in.

standing in a circle, blood red candles blazing
The moon is right
The spirits up
We're here tonight
And that's enough
someone wanders in, switch very quickly
SIMPLY HAVIN’ A WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME!
SIMPLY HAVIN’ A WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

You can already buy 500ml bottles of wine so I'm not sure the extra 68ml is worthy of a Telegraph article, but on the other hand it's GOOD OLD IMPERIAL MEASURES NONE OF THIS METRIC so it's hardly surprising.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I honestly thought that was a comedy skit. :blush:

I have eaten, i am full.... might eat some more..... *oh god oh god* in a while,

i'm not doing this tomorrow.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

fuctifino posted:

Crossposting from the schadenfreude thread:

The second comment is also trash - I know the plural of anecdote is not data - but I and everyone I know who has caught COVID after two vaccinations have specifically not been laid low at all - it’s been a couple of days of coughing a bit and being tired. It’s nothing like when someone without the vaccine catches it, nothing at all.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

I think specifically the suggestion is that he thinks that he has caught a cold and the people who have been vaccinated against covid are for some reason weak to colds, unlike his big brain vaccineless immune system.

Ahhhhh, ok. Still trash. But I get it now, thanks!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tomberforce posted:

Both my siblings got covid after being vaccinated. Brother was broadly asymptomatic - he felt a bit down for a couple of days. My sister after a week of, in her words, "unbearable pain" was told by a doctor to call an ambulance if no improvement in another 24 hours. Still lost her taste and smell for a month or so. Fortunately she started improving and recovered OK but I'm guessing she may have had a real struggle if she hadn't have been vaccinated.

Esssh, that certainly kicks my theory into the long grass. Great she’s ok now!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Barry Foster posted:

Just watched Don't Look Up

Woof

Great film but now I need to watch some Witcher or something idiotic and escapist because I've just endured a two hour dose of brutally reflected reality delivered directly into my face

I enjoyed it too - hard to believe it was written pre-COVID as it feels perfect for that.

Just watched “Being The Ricardos” with my parents - I was expecting to just watch it in the background on my laptop but was fixed despite not knowing anything about I Love Lucy. Kidman is fantastic, as are Tony Hale and Alia Shawkat (Buster Bluth and Maeby).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Alas it's probably because I ticked the box that said "Yeah you're gonna have to pay me the maximum compensation" - I couldn't help but notice that every potential juror in a suit[1] got told they wouldn't be needed.

Anyway the best bit of the story is when they did the briefing prior to selection. First of all it was actually at the Old Bailey, which was cool, and then they realised there were too many people to fit into Court 19, where they normally do the briefing, so we all got to go into Court Number 1. I snagged a seat in the press benches just behind the dock and was then annoyed as things got crowded enough that some people got to sit up in the judge's benches (and the little throne behind the judge where the Lord Mayor can sit if he fancies popping along), but then more and more came in and there was some worried whispering from the clerks, until one of them went got up and said the magic words...

"Hi everyone, we've got a bit of a problem because there's just not enough space and we still have six people to fit in. Now we don't want to force anyone, so can we have some volunteers who are happy to sit in the dock?"

I swear to god my hand broke the sound barrier on it's way up, and I snagged the front seat (there's actually room for 7 or 8 defendants in there). It's not something that's obvious in photos (or TV shows) but the court really is laid out like an amphitheatre with the dock in place of the stage - everything is laid out facing it, and every single person in the room was suddenly staring right at me, and I had to fight the urge to shout "I AINT GOING DOWN[2] YOU SLAAAAGS" that bubbled up from the pie and mash bits of my very DNA.

[1] I wasn't in a suit of course, nobody was getting married or buried or marrying a corpse (and also I'd ridden in and I'm not Italian enough to get away with a suit on a motorbike), but without being classist it was pretty obvious from the clothes involved that the decision was at least partly based on how much this was going to cost them
[2] Fun fact - "going down" - in the sense of going to prison, get your mind out of the gutter - comes specifically from the Old Bailey which, with that weird Victorian obsession for efficiency, has staircases leading from cells directly below the court straight into the dock, and yet is used all over the country and all over the English-speaking world. Ditto judges using "Take them down" as an instruction to the guards to take the defendant to the cells, used all over the country even though it only applies to the original 8 courts in the Old Bailey (not even to the newer courts in the same complex).

Have you been to see witness for the prosecution? It’s in an old courthouse and for each performance there are 12 “jury tickets” on sale where you sit in the jurors’ seats and actually decide a verdict at the end. It’s great fun.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember reading about it and thinking it sounded interesting but that was in February last year and...

It was absolutely super. Pricey for the Jury tickets but I don’t regret it in the slightest.

I “got” the right answer seconds after I had given my decision as I suddenly realised it was the story that the Neil Gaiman story “a study in emerald” was a pastiche of.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 30, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jedit posted:

Surely that's a pastiche of A Study in Scarlet?

Mostly, but the ending (and a key plot point which leads to it) is from Witness.

Edit: at least that’s what I remember, specifically the point about the woman giving the letter but I might actually be remembering that from another book again.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 31, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The final boss of the phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

big scary monsters posted:

I like to think of the War on Christmas as an eternal fight where every year on December 25th* the Avatar of Christmas is symbolically defeated and has to go back to its shadowy nether realm**, ready to return late the next year to battle it all out again.

*in the UK. Victory in Europe can be anywhere from December 6th to early January depending on country.

**Finland, since Santa canonically lives in Rovaniemi.

Michael Bublé? Yeah, that tracks. Explains why we don't hear of him the rest of the year.