Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
All hail the new thread, praise Zodiark !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There is a ton of nuance and detail here, as well as a massive bucket of non-trivial problems to solve, but the solution to this is that your out-of-game infra shouldn't be self hosted. You push those pieces to AWS et al. It is bonus complex in that such a transition will take years and if such a change were to happen in time for 7.0, you'd probably have to start talking 6 months ago.
They said a while ago they tried to run the servers on cloud services and couldn't get that poo poo running.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Role quest chat, melee DPS : Well that was terrible, I'm super disappointed with this one, I hope the others are better.
It doesn't help that I had no clue who were the company of heroes, and now I know why I occulted those guys from my memory so hard not even Sanguinia's thoroughly crafted newbie journals couldn't resurrect them, they were part of the most awful part of ARR leading to Titan, which was even worse in 2015.
To be fair, they were kind of interesting, but the rogue guild is just a stone throw away, I would have much rather enjoyed their involvement than these random weirdos. Ok I understand that they're also a nod to 1.0 since apparently they were helping the WoL fighting primals at the time, but still...

Onward to unlock the others !

e: I hope no one saw the spoilers, used the discord syntax...

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm going to take some time to level up the other classes to 60, see if I like any enough to continue leveling them up to 70, and do the Stormblood raids before moving on to Shadowbringers.
Doing the SB raids is a good idea because it will give you access to a good levelling source after finishing ShB : they lead up to an area to level 71+ jobs that is suprinsingly also worth it for 80+ jobs unlike PotD 60+ or HoH 70+
It's similar to the Eureka zone you can unlock now in Kugane for your artifact weapons, but it also gives XP
Also these raids are huge references to past FFs XII and Tactics, so if you have played those you're going to get a lot of cool references. That being said there is a string of quests between raid 1 & 2 that is basically Titan Quests Go Fetch Me Wine (savage) all over again, so feel free to skip dialog on this

Enjoy the lead up to shadowbringers, there are really good and interesting things happening during 4.4>4.56

Zanael fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 2, 2022

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Nephrite posted:

At least Stormblood gave us Sadu, who is probably the best thing to come out of it.
and the patches The Burn (Savage) of Y'Shtola

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Tainen posted:

Did they ever explain how the unsundered Ascians escaped the sundering?
My theory is that Venat purposefully did not sunder them as she knew they were vital for the WoL quest.
But then again sundering them would have removed the threat of ascians trying to revive Zodiark, which would have been a way better solution, so maybe my theory is flawed :D

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Countblanc posted:

all events in ffxiv take place Five Years Since the Calamity so it actually took him zero seconds to find it.
wasn't the hole dug when Omega landed after its fight with Shinryu ? Plus they had the whole "oh this region has troubles, if only a warrior of light would be so kind to eradicate any hostiles in the nearby area" to wait for

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

5.3: Ah gently caress, I can't handle all these sad goodbyes. My eyes hurt from crying so much, and I'm only halfway done.
Yeah, Cutscenes (Savage) is pretty violent especially the Seto one

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

blastron posted:

If there is exactly one thing I could ask from the graphics update, it would be a more relaxed default male Mi’qote idle pose. Between the tense, clawed hands and the wide, slightly hunched stance, it really looks like these cute catboys are pretending to be fierce but really just give off >:3 energy.
Fem Hyur's default idle pose and running animation could use a tweak or two also...

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

I basically knew who it was right off the bat simply because of how tiny the pool of potential candidates was… but I couldn’t remember their name.

I had 0 clue because crystal tower wasn't mandatory when 5.0 launched, or at least I just unlocked the raid back in the day before HW dropped and left it there, so when the reveal happens I was like ".... who ? It's just a random cat boy ?" and it fell flat for me :D
but yeah it's probably the worst kept secret of the game with the identity of shadowhunter

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

The "angel" tells you its name Nael Van Darnus "The White Raven", aka the big bad of vanilla FFXIV, which was the instigator of the Meteor Project to crash the satellite Dalamund unto Eorza, so it's quite a surprise she shows up there since the WoL killed her back in vanilla...
Oh and yeah the phase 2 was totally unexpected for me, especially since the first phase felt like a legit trial lol
Enjoy this questline, it's quite... "fun". Burn out the bad *clap clap clap*

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Picked up Sage as my first healer and I'm having so much fun with it that I'm queuing for zero reward roulettes.

Is there something I can do that lets me actually get some xp while getting to play multiplayer pve?
Bozja ! Sage starts off at 70 so you only need a level and you're good to go until 80. After that it's a matter of choosing between the 80 cap gameplay of bozja or doing max level available dungeons

Zanael fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 9, 2022

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Adventurer plates are fun

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

NachtSieger posted:

I can't find it in the thread, but what was that one housing preview website that let you import stuff into your game and/or preview housing items?

https://en.ff14housing.com ?
You can also preview items in housing mode

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Cleared the Omega raid tier and why do I pity this poor machine so much, also Alpha is a brave and strong boy. Nero still best character.

Ivalice raid bosses are lit, did the 2nd raid. Pushing MSQ and 4.Hildy now. I'm omnicrafter 75 help I can't stop.

FFXIV is really good at making you feeling bad for homicidal maniacs

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I play the game by mostly clicking on things, so don't mind me my advice has always been a bit odd. I only will hit 1-4 with my left hand. I do everything else with the mouse. Sometimes I'll even click my 1-4 with the mouse and just use my left hand for movement. Since I'm tanking more often than not these days, I can play the game entirely right handed when I'm being assaulted by my cat or something in short spurts.

Years ago during heavensward raiding my buddy noz watched a stream I set up for him, and he said I looked like a starcraft player clicking all over the place and constantly adjusting my camera.

Up until recently I've just used regular computer mice. I destroy the left click on them annually. I bought a "gaming" mouse with two extra buttons. It's ok. I've got holmgang and bloodwhetting bound to the extras.
:same:
I click on everything that's not 1-4, I have small hands (so everything over 5 starts to be tricky) and 0 dexterity to hit ctrl or shift for skills and move my character for some reason in MMOs, but I have good visual memory so I can quick scope to icons (granted that my cursor is not lost somewhere).
Plus with the very generous GCD in XIV you can move your camera, hit OGCDs and do a combo without issues

That's my bars for reaper :

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For a Veteran Survivor of FFXI, the start of this collab event hits a little different.

Oh, valkrum...

Also, the dragonsong ultimate seems pretty crazy, some teams are getting to the end and times loops to the first phase with a theory that you can save Haurchefant

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

HampHamp posted:

Yeah it seems like you need to play through as normal, but save your LB3 so that when you go back in time you can save haurchefant using it. You haven't got the full 3 bars the first time he appears, but after the time loop you do. Actually beating that last bit without using LB seems ridiculous tho. There's also more videos floating around twitter from JP teams implying multiple timelines lol
I wonder if using tank lb and healer lb lead to different timelines, maybe DPS LB to burst before he dies ?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Parsing and fight logs as an objective performance tool are stupid, you can be up against some keyboard gods with best in slot gear while doing your job basically fine with "only" decent gear
We tried doing savage for pandemonium with my buddies, downed P1 and P2 a couple of weeks after release, on our last recorded P1S reclear where we did not even see enrage, I was 2nd DPS but still parsed grey at 23% with reaper while not loving up my rotation, not getting hit by mechanics and being 99.6% active, should I be kicked from the group because according to xivanalysis I missed some positionals I could not hit anyway ?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Trash Ops posted:

coming back after a two month break and still can clear p1s on an alt job with poo poo gear, idk why people are so afraid of harder content
Not everyone is equal on how to manage difficulty or on being good at execution, that's cool that you can, I don't.
While P1S was kind of fine but lost all of its interest when we decided to follow a guide, progressing P2S was negative fun and probably one of the worst activity I've done in the game, killing any interest to do Savages ever for me. I'm exhausted after one hour of having to concentrate on the same stupid mechanic that me or someone will inevitably fail and ruin the run because one death equals a fail attempt usually.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Wow reaper has a lot of cool looking moves. I should learn how to play it
Reaper is fun, I used to main NIN but that spot has been strolen by RPR. I really don't like most of the glams for the class though, but nothing that's not solveable by the glamour dresser.
Also the rotation is super easy, which helps for me :D

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Khizan posted:

When I was looking for a melee class to learn, I chose SAM over RPR just because Striking glams are better than Maiming ones.
I'd say that's a valid reason

Oh yeah, btw :

Inzombiac posted:

If you tell me there is player housing with decorating I will likely explode.
I have a few videos that might interest you, wow streamer Preach started FFXIV a few months ago during the great warcraft exodus, and had the chance to enroll in a batshit insane FC, who does poo poo like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM4MuPYIz1c
or this (though it's a spoiler for ARR so you might not want to click on that) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVTz1RlaDrU
and have fun with their FC housing :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUQpmyp9ro

There was an absolutely incredible session of personal room checking, but unfortunately no VoD for that
But I heard you liked glams :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuSVzy1RaSA

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Dang. Oh well.

It's such a shame that Black Desert is such a poo poo game because the combat is incredible. Same with Vindictus.
Korean MMOs are just something else but are actively hostile to new players and non-whales.
Yeah melee classes are nowhere near any action based MMO/single player game, you stick to the mob and roll your head on the keyboard until it's dead

That being said, each melee class has its own flair and flow and they can feel very different and are really active (at max level), there used to be like 35 buttons to press during the DRG opener at 80 before endwalker dropped.

MNK : it's all about options and moving around the mob to unleash your punching fury
DRG : poking is fun, but poking while dropping from outer space is more fun
NIN : let's black mage inbetween combos !
SAM : collect stickers, then use them to slice everything multiple times in a second
RPR : speedrun ressource generation so it's reaping time all the time

For a tab targeting old school MMO, it's really not that bad, I just wish we had an active dodge for extra spice.
Also you get to play DDR up close with the bosses mechanics while maintaining your rotation at endgame activities so it's pretty fun.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

The new sets they showed were dope, this will be fun

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

Do we know if that means 24 man, normal, savage?
no 24 man this patch, so either normal or savage, probably the latter, for the SFX sets

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

also, StB takes

the scene where y'shtola negs the tribe leader and Sadu starts calling him "little sun! little sun!" in front of everybody is the peak of stormblood

The Burn (savage) is brutal
How did you like the build-up to shadowbringers ?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Doomykins posted:

5.0 Baby Sprout Almost At Modern Day
--snip--
And Endwalker is BETTER???
You don't even have to look that far, 5.3 by itself is a strong contender, looking forward your reactions to this
Oh and don't sleep on the normal 8 man raid

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Aww hell yeah. Believe me I leave no blue undone, even if they just hand me food at the end of it.
Just to let you know, it's better to do the first two wings of the raid (so bosses 1->8) before that specific patch, and the last one after, because of reasons. Not sure you can even do the last wing before completing the patch, but just in case.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

I assume people are gearing up in anticipation of the new crafted battle gear next week

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

From the Island Sanctuary store, it would seem. Translation of the store they showed on the live letter:

poo poo there are haircuts, now I have to do the island.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

MSQ done, raid done, both stories good in those, I need the next story bit like yesterday.
The new dungeon is so cool looking and fights are nice, the raids are also fun to do, P7 in particular because of the changing arena
The trial is the high note of the patch for me, with a lot of poo poo to dodge which I like.
Now to do the Tataru quest, post MSQ sidequest (which opens nearby the last MSQ dialogue) and see that the fuss is about this island.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Doing 6.2 right now I think. Would this make more sense if I'd done the Reaper quests? I don't remember a voidsent attached to Zenos whatsoever.
About your spoiler : Zenos' voidsent is explicitely shown when trying to attack the scions when Zenos stole the WoL body, then in full shrouded form escaping the pit where you fight Zodiark, when he gets back to the menagerie after getting sassed by Alisaie, and finally when you fight him at the edge of the universe I really don't know how you could have missed that

Some reaper lore : Reapers make a pact with a voidsent to gain powers, they feed on the reaper's aether and anything they kill, it's supposed to be an equivalent exchange, but as Zero said, Zenos went beyond and fully used her voidsent form as a tool
Reaper 80 job quest : the inverse is also possible and it's shown that reapers can lose their control of the voidsent and get consumed

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Ooh, the Warriors of Darkness side quests and the extra fifth quest was good stuff! Really liked all of them, and great to see the characters elevated after their first appearance.
There's more follow-ups if you have done the warring triad

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Love when Square shows that side of them that absolutely loves messed up sci fi nightmares. When they go dark they go absurdly dark since the days of like FF2. This is ghoulish parts of FF7 stuff right here.

spoilers: 5.1 on, Weapons storyline

drat!

bonus spoiler: Much like Vauthry I am now counting down until I punch this guy. Also never stop having fun with your body animation and expression rigging, Square.

The blue arm splurting through the cabin is the genre of horror I like, absolutely disturbing. More : Valens is 100% a non-redeemable over the top evil villain and exactly what he needed to be, dude is right behind Asahi on my murder-asap-list
This whole storyline is bonkers both in actual cool gameplay fights and everything happening, you get a freaking Gundam and then 10min laters you get your soul crushed.
I remember doing (spoiler fist boss name) Ruby weapon, the fight itself was no joke with poo poo to dodge and weird mechanics to figure out, and then Nael van loving Darnus awakens and the P2 starts with the whole Cartenau battle and 7th Umbral Calamity happening in the background ? I was not ready for this :D
Also it gave us one of the best track of the game during the (spoiler second boss name) Emerald weapon fight :
The black wolf stalks again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljMeXRA7RDY

It's legit a crime this is not available on spotify.

e:

Subjunctive posted:

Anyone know what happened in the CC tournament with “Sweet Dolla Tea”? Saw this on the Revival Discord:

Maybe they used one of the pvp mods for auto targetting ?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Oh. Well then I guess the guy was just lucky a lot. I've seen odder streaks, shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

Isn't the order of the punches fixed ? Like in P1, it seems the flails are always in the same order at the start of the fight.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Offkorn posted:

Criterion version of the new dungeon is... rather nasty. I shudder to think what the savage version is like.
It's amazing no team is in savage yet

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I really love that (6.25) Nanamo ended up being the first leader we adventured with. Kan-E and Raubahn want to so bad as well it's so cute
Not totally accurate ! (EW role quests spoilers) You get to fight alongside some leaders in the role quests, but also in the role quests epilogue you get to raid on Garlean forces with Hien, Fourchenault, Nero, Raubahn, Merlyb and Kan E Senna, the first four staying for the boss fight

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

is there a like "how to tank" guide, I've got Warrior at 45 and holy poo poo I keep eating poo poo constantly

two dungeons in a row I've died on the first pull despite slapping all my buttons like a madman and the healer goes "my bad"

is it just that they don't have ogcds sub-50 (and no Holy or anything)? am I pulling too big because I'm missing something I don't even know about yet? I just want to be an invincible golden god :(

Don't wall to wall until you know the healer is ok doing so, or looks like he can handle healing you, would be my advice. Especially sub-50 where gear can be wonky and sprouts unaware of what's happening in the dungeon.
Oh and of course don't break line of sight.
As a warrior you have thrill of the battle that can help with healing too.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I like that the Tataru quest chain is getting me to do old content I never got around to, like the Four Lord's quest chain for the next segment!

You've been missing on really good fights then, enjoy yourself and pump up the BGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Zeruel posted:

TENZEN AAAAUGH I NEED YOU
[Bassline and jpop singer intensifies]
Fun fact if not already known : it's Krile's JP VA on Suzaku and the song that goes with her fight