Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I ran these numbers for my Ninja lore video's glam.

Head: Sadly none that are overtly dangerous.
Chest: Bozja scouting chestpiece, with the knives. (There's a few others that do similar.)
Hands: Sky Rat fingerless gloves has a bloody grappling hook.
Feet: Expeditioner's Thighboots has a knife on it
Legs: Weirdly, none, but the thighboots cover most of it anyway.

The Garo ninja helmet could stab someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I'd like AoE aero back as a separate DoT but I think the ship has sailed on DoTs

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I don't think they'll remove every DoT, I just don't think they'll center jobs around them or add more presently.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Raiding on Aether got so much worse over the last few years too. Tons of people joining over the last few years googling "raid server" and finding old Reddit posts from ARR has caused things to become much sweatier than they'd been in years.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Is it still a thing for White and Black mages to go in with a one-hand weapon and a shield?

In Bozja you do the same damage but with added block chance so there's no downside

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

They used to be worse. The drop rates on the original atma were so bad that I simply did not see some drops until they were nerfed just because I kept getting bad RNG rolls.

They used to be 1% drop rate instead of ~25% and iirc they initially announced one of the wrong zone names at release so people spent a day or two farming the wrong zone entirely

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

lines posted:

How do people normally do job change stuff on controller? On PC I use a hotbar with gearset icons on - I guess I could set up something like that on the XHB but it uses a lot of slots.

I have the jobs I swap to the most frequently on XHB 8 and otherwise use the mouse despite playing on a controller to click an expanding macro UI with all the jobs. During the times my mouse isn't connected at all, I just use the gearset menu.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

they should put a dodge parry in dawntrail bozja

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

so even with a big flashy full-screen tutorial telling you "use these buttons" people still refuse to use them

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Hogama posted:

While it's not necessary in the slightest, you can also supplement your experience with tribal quests, which do provide some decent chunks of experience daily. It's a little more effort in running around, though.

For crafters, you're looking at Ixal for 1-50, Moogle for 50-60, Namazu for 60-70, Dwarf for 70-80, and Loporrit for 80-90.
For gatherers, there's no tribes until Stormblood, when they let Namazu pull double-duty. Namazu 60-70, Qitari 70-80, and Omicron 80-90.

The XP they give also gets better at max rank, and they are much less tedious once you hit Namazu and later tribes.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

summoners level 100 ability should be summoning moogle king

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

bozja is one of the most fun things in the game to me. lost actions are a blast and the critical engagements/duels/pseudo alliance raids are great

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

God I hope the Dawntrail field exploration zones are prettier. Eureka had some gorgeous scenery

Genovera posted:

Dealing with essences is also a hassle, and I hope the next iteration just makes them like the selectable buffs in variant dungeons. Just have new options/upgrades unlock as you go.

Agreed. I kinda get why the lost actions have the holster system limiting how many total you can bring at any given time for some vague semblance of balance, but the essences should be separate from that, lemme swap on the fly from permanently unlocked essences

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

The fact that there was never any payoff to the sidequest where you send Garleans to the moon, including Nero!!! is probably my only disappointment with EW as a whole.

This felt like seeding future story arcs to me, just like the Shadowbringers capstone quest for doing all the role quests.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The character creator still has the most unflattering light possible but things look really nice in the benchmark itself to me

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

It's the dynamic lighting yeah. The old shine was painted on, now it is actual reflective shine and the character creator lighting is awful enough to not show it off, leading to the eyes looking dead when they should be showing off how much better they look with a light source like in the benchmark itself.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

the wet skin is mostly character creator, it seems to apply wet weather effects for some reason sometimes

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

those BLM hand tattoos look so cool

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

IE: Devs "fixing" Viera voice 7 despite there being nothing wrong with it.

bring back the haunted granny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2XtnYpnIg

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The downside is they never put them in later cities ever anymore. MCH, DRK, and AST felt like they fleshed out Ishgard locally more than any later jobs did with other locations.

You'd think with jobs starting at 80 they'd start letting themselves use Ishgard and Kugane as starting locations.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

lalafell are getting tusks

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Vitamean posted:

please don't swipe your credit card for dyes

instead i will swipe my credit card for a $12.60 pair of virtual shoes

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Is there a fast way to find out which Regional Folklore books I have other than hunting down each vendor?

EDIT: found it. You don't need to deal with trading for scrip vouchers and the Splendors Vendor, Rowena's Representative in Foundation/Kugane/Crystarium has a "gathering supplies" section where you can buy them for straight tokens.

It'll also say learned in the gathering log over the entry for the items if you've learned it without needing to visit vendor

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Maybe this just applies to fish? Most info is replaced by question marks but they're still in the list, not 100% sure about others.

E: Just logged in to check, this does only show in the fishing log not general gathering log, sorry!

gay devil fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 22, 2024

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I don't really think the pruned quests introduced those issues, they were always there. Some zones did always feel vestigial to the main story outside of job quests, and ARR was generally weird about tribe stuff until patch content. Its pacing is slow with the important stuff heavily back-loaded. Would still definitely not recommend skipping unless someone finds it completely intolerable.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I've been using a combination of Carbuncleplushy and the Teamcraft log helper—you can export between the two but Teamcraft is really nice if you are just filling the log in a zone in for the first time since you can sort by zones and specific fishing holes in a nice view

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

I hope the train is actually running on tracks around the zone. One of the first things I did as a new player when I found those railroad tracks in Thanalan was look for the train. Give me train Yoshi-P

it should also one-shot you if it hits you like rival wings

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Countblanc posted:

To me what seems insane about continuously adding jobs is it means they'll just have to always make 2+ new weapons for every drop, forever. Most games don't have unique weapons per class so like, designing a new Sword can be useful for multiple classes, but in FFXIV it exclusively helps 1 of 20 jobs.

I could see them eventually doing more split jobs down the line that share a weapon like SMN/SCH solely to reduce the number of totally unique weapon designs. I know they said they would never do something like that again but that was also before they totally split all the actions out to make them entirely separate jobs

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Unless something changed, that won't happen. Archer was supposed to work the same way, and split into Bard and Ranger, but the whole split into Summoner/Scholar for Arcanist was more hassle than it was worth, so the plans were scrapped.

Something did change, they completely split out every action so there are no shared actions to worry about balancing and removed attribute points entirely.

They used to struggle balancing one job without affecting the other in some way. Since the reworks, the Ruin that SCH gets is not the same Ruin SMN gets anymore. They have different base potencies and are treated entirely separately. Current SCH shares exactly 1 base Arcanist ability with SMN and that is Resurrection. Every other action is separate.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

…wait, so why does SMN’s heal continue to suck rear end, then?

It still only scales off mind even though the SMN physick is a separate action from the SCH physick with separate potencies

Ojjeorago posted:

There's no healer primal, duh.

Phoenix!!!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I loved In From the Cold and the time crunch felt great finishing it on my first try but if I failed it repeating it would have made me despise it so I'm not surprised its so divisive. Its my favorite solo duty in the game but I could easily see myself hating it

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Healers seem like the weird exception that get easier in many ways as you get higher level, since you seemingly just keep getting extra buttons that pop off powerful (usually instant-cast) heals, while other jobs usually have to integrate their new buttons into rotations. AST seems like maybe it's more complex, but I get the impression both Scholar (my highest at 79 currently) and WHM (I think 67 or something) follow this pattern.

A lot of this is also because of abilities getting culled/consolidated for healers just like what happens for other jobs. While healing is much easier overall now than it used to be, you straight-up just have less buttons to push at lower levels than you used to as well

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I got the Conditional Virtue and Copycat Bulb minions out of the GC lockboxes after keeping up with them for years, definitely worth the occasional seal dump

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I'd imagine legal requirements of having to allow refunds for preorders cause issues there

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

alphinaud did the arcanist equivalent of turning his old obsidian carbuncle into glue

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

We can make up some fake leaks if that will make you feel better

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

e: We never got a confirmation that Dragon Sight is dead. gently caress.

Dragon Sight is the sole reason I stopped maining DRG when Stormblood came out. I hate having to rely on macros so much!!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I don't think condensing 1-2-3 combos into a single button reduces cognitive load in any way. Condensing them all into one action would make me have to think more and I'd worry about forgetting what step of a combo I'm on in-between weaving.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I do hope they say something cool about Sage because White Mage appearing to get Icarus appears painful.

Seeing Sages dash forward with wings when I get big Temperance wings I can't dash with was also painful :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Sage dug up Aero 3 from the grave