Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

RE: Garlemald and Shadowbringers; it's worth noting that we don't have to guess what would have happened if Zenos didn't come back, because that's exactly how it went down in the alternate timeline that the Exarch is from. They're unable to actually make any progress conquering Eorzea, so they unleash Black Rose, which goes nuts and makes the next calamity. Garlemald is as dead as any of the other nation-states. Presumably Varis would have continued conquering for a while if it weren't for the chemical weapon backfiring, but without an Ascian at the helm (and Emet-Selch directly sabotaging things by this point), Garlemald as an empire was already doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Similarly, Divine Benison and The Blackest Night also work through that no-healing phase, and if you can reduce a fireball to 0 damage, you don't get a stack of the dot. I've saved runs by getting a shield on someone who got hit, stunned, and poisoned with ~5% hp left.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Also seen in the wild:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Thundarr posted:

For summoner PvP, am I right to assume that Bahamut is for when the entire enemy team is sitting on the crystal and you want to instantly drop 30K potency on them, and Phoenix is for when your team is in trouble and you either need big heals or to neuter the damage of an incoming enemy LB?

Also the full gcd wait in the Ifrit combo between charging in and confirming the actual high damage hit seems incredibly dangerous for the job with the lowest hp.

Unlike the equivalent pve combo, you do not need to be in melee range to cast the follow-up to your ifrit dash. You can run back out while casting it.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

There's a lot of interesting things going on in new pvp but the balance is really rough, and fighting multiple WARs in frontlines is a horrible and miserable experience. Everyone's trying to stay in their team's murderball and not get focused, and WARs can just pick one person they don't want to be alive anymore and swallow them into the doomstack, every 15 seconds. Which is separate from their 15 sec cooldown gap closer + aoe stun. Even LBs I can counter, keep myself topped off to not get sniped by a MCH, be careful not to hit a SAM's shield, but a warrior that has a team nearby can just end people at will.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The healing changes are good. I like actually being able to play the job I want instead of playing chicken and hoping someone else will switch to healer so I don't have to.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

There's some early ARR dialog that straight-up tells you that when you use the Echo to look into someone's memories, it's possible to project yourself into those memories to some extent (though you cannot actually change the past). As far as I remember, there's no payoff to that Chekov's Gun beyond the Cid goggles scene, which still doesn't exactly make sense.

-

In the Sharlayan CC map, I've seen the "run around and hit them from behind" gambit work exactly once, which is exactly enough times for the victims to learn and never fall for it again. There is no way to move around undetected except for hoping that your enemy is tunnel-visioning, which you can't realistically control, predict, or identify.

edit: Also pro CC tip, unless you're trying to unlock the checkpoint, you never need more than one person in the circle at a time. It can help to have 2 jic someone gets holmganged away, but generally you want to stay at least a few yalms away from teammates if you can help it. I've seen a match where, after wiping the entire enemy team and pushing to the checkpoint uncontested, we lost 4 people in 2 seconds from a WHM/DRG combo and ended up losing the match.

Do NOT stand together if all of the enemy team is charging at you with their cds and LBs up, it doesn't matter if you're on the checkpoint or not, don't do it. A SGE LB might even save you from the WHM laser, but it won't do anything about a DRG nuke.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 29, 2022

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

WHM and WAR should probably be nerfed, but they aren't crazy overpowered, as long as your team isn't trying to stack the whole party onto the crystal at all times. If you can keep them from hitting more than 1 or 2 people at a time with their stuns, they're perfectly manageable to fight against. If your team is standing close enough together to all get hit by multiple aoe cc/nukes at once, you're in for a bad time regardless of the enemy composition.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Having recently gotten the new Castrum Meridianum in mentor roulette, they very much changed the last 2.0 duties to not fold like a house of cards at max ilvl sync. Maybe a little too much hp, but overall it's a much more tolerable experience than before, at least for roulette runners.

Only done the new Praetorium and Decumana unsynced and those bosses won't even let you skip phases even if you can nuke them to 1 hp; they'll still go through all their special attacks. I'm assuming they're similarly tanky at ilvl sync.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Pro Crystalline Conflict tip: if your whole team decides to dogpile the enemy AST right at round start, and you don't manage to kill them in a single burst, maybe don't try to pursue them all the way back to their spawn.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I think they figured out what was up right around a minute in, but they couldn't run across the entire arena in time to stop them.

edit: I tried retreating to spawn, then realized my team wasn't actually here to help, so I ran back to mid. Eventually most of them peeled off of me but the NIN stuck around and finally finished me off at about 1:36 on the timer. Was very funny dying in the middle of the map just to immediately see "VICTORY" flash across the screen.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 8, 2022

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, chef. Though I am curious about the (EW cameo) loporrits near the mini-cactpot, and if they sing for everyone or just people who did the related sidequest where you teach them music.

edit: Didn't catch this the first time I saw them, but this is very important:

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 6, 2022

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Little snek is from the 87 dungeon.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Early levelling is the biggest issue I have with the game as it is right now. I'm well past that point on all jobs, but every time I get rouletted into a low-level dungeon I lose all my fun buttons so I'm just hitting a 1-2 combo over and over while sometimes dodging a mechanic. Most jobs don't feel "complete" until sometime after level 50. Some not until 60+. At least one dps job doesn't get any multi-target attacks until level 40. The gameplay gets more complex and interesting later on, but most of the really fun and flashy attacks don't show up until Stormblood levels or later.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which voice is the one that does the goofy "hurr huh hurr huh" that I always hear when I port into limsa

That's just an ambient noise clip that kicks in when there's a certain number of players in a town area.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I haven't seen any official statements, but my money's on them becoming Hildibrand artifacts.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The good thing about the top of tower puzzle is that it's a great place for glam shots.

The bad thing about the top of tower puzzle is I don't want to come down and I have in-game stuff I need to do.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Note that there's an npc at the docks who trades the haste chests in exchange for tokens. Look for those tokens on the MB, they're always cheaper than buying the chests directly.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Time to figure out which axe looks most like a plausible but inappropriately large surgeon's tool. Pretty sure Paladin has an actual bonesaw somewhere.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Chondrite_Magitek_Axe

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you want money, unsyncing old extremes for rare mats can be worthwhile, but it's kind of a roll of the dice whether you actually get anything. Make sure you roll on the weapon drops and desynth them for more chances at a mat (you can also spend totems on more weapons to break apart). At level 90, anything Stormblood or lower doesn't require any guides, just hurt the bosses 'til they're dead. Shadowbringer fights you should probably look up a video for, but are usually a cakewalk, just with one or two mechanics you can't outright ignore. Hells Kier, Dancing Plague, and Hades's Elegy tend to be big sellers, but do some market research on your server first. Or just farm for all the mounts and enjoy getting expensive sellables occasionally.

Also make sure you're burning excess Astronomy tomes on crafting mats. If you don't want to bother doing market research, just buy mistletoe. It's not always the most expensive one, but it tends to sell quickly, since it's still used for current tier consumables.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Veotax posted:

I believe you fight all the Mogg Guard one or two at a time, but once the Good King comes out, you're just fighting him.
The others will pop up to do attacks, but aren't targetable, AFAIK

Thematically they're much more present in the new version, as they're actually doing attacks that you need to react to, instead of just being a bunch of target dummies running around that you have to chase down.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It'll let you edit and save your portrait even if a setting is off and it won't tell you anything is wrong until it spits an error while displaying your shameful default portrait to everyone. You have to check your gearset manually. It's dumb.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

As someone who's been trying to move to a bigger house since the lottery started, it sucks losing week after week, but it's still worlds better than the old system. While there's no distribution system that fixes a lack of supply, I actually have a chance at winning a lottery, even if it's a low chance. In the old system, I once pulled an all-nighter clicking the board, walked away for 5 minutes to get food, and the house was sold when I got back. The whole system was terrible and dominated by bots. I only got lucky with my current house during the resumption of demolitions after the last housing freeze, when a lot of plots opened up at once.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Portraits are super picky about head/weapon visiblity setting, as well as visor setting. Also, I'm pretty sure it saves both equipment settings AND glam settings, so if you change gear and reapply your glam plate, it'll still spit an error, because the gear doesn't match. Gotta resave the gearset and the portrait both. There is no way to update your portrait alongside a gear change without opening it up and re-saving it manually, afaict.

I really really hope they fix this before dungeon portraits become a thing.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Did someone say formal wear?!

(Frontier Jacket, Frontier Dress, Thavnairian Wool Autumn Dress, Thavnairian Bolero, Thavnairian Bustier)

(Wind Silk Coatee, High House Bustle, Replica Sky Pirate's Coat of Casting*, Falconer's Shirt, High House Justaucorps)

(Ao Dai, Taoist's Shirt, Dalmascan Draped Top, Summer Indigo Shirt, Southern Seas Shirt)

(Thavnairian Wool Autumn Shirt + Plain Long Skirt)

All of the above are equippable by any race/gender/job and are dyable. Most have cheaper non-dyable versions. Also would recommend any Neo-Ishgardian/Chondrite set, they're fancy as heck, but require at least level 80/88.

*Replica gear is also job-agnostic, they're based on role specific outfits, but have no stats and are equippable by anyone.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It's just fun to joke about straight white men being boring. Nobody actually gives a poo poo if people want to play as a human.

Unrelated, I really wish BLM shields would get the same treatment SCH shields got. I've died twice this week to what should have been recoverable events, but Manaward just keeps failing to apply in time. It sucks a lot to see your defensive abilities go on cooldown despite not actually activating before your death.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Thundarr posted:

ngl I will immediately Fantasia when the art team finally adds a mi'qo muscle slider so my catgirl can be buff.

As someone who spent ten earth dollars just to palette swap my cat, :same:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

In roulettes, I've never seen people grouse about a BLM dying five times in a fight. I've never seen people notice or care about dudes who press their basic combos at a rate of once every four or five seconds. I've can't even recall anyone complaining about unused LB meter, though I occasionally see people politely request a dps LB. But for some reason I've seen multiple occasions of people getting real steamed because I use a ranged LB on a boss, or use a melee LB when there's a trash fight coming soon. I have no earthly idea why this particular optimization sets some folks off. It won't stop me from pressing the button that makes all the shiny lights happen.

I don't really have a point here, just venting for a second.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

As someone with fond memories (my opinion may have been more sour in the moment) of attempting all the ShB alliance raids for the first time on BLM, it's very funny to me when I see it happen, and I usually commend whoever made me laugh the most.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen a wipe or any major problems with a T/H couple in a dungeon, actually. The only dungeon troubles that stick in my memory are getting an individual tank or healer who afaict is completely drunk out of their mind and/or aren't paying attention to anything going on. Otherwise, worst I see is just a little slower than usual, but rarely slower than a Trust would be.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad they don't bother making cat ear pockets on the hats any more.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It's a good skirt tho.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Thunder maths out slightly better, but Sharpcast optimization is a pretty minor boost to overall potency, and you can get away with just mashing it on cooldown and trusting that you'll hit Thunder or Fire sometime before it fades.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I recently got Mhach as BLM and got nostalgic for not having a million on-demand instant casts. Strangely satisfying to see a dozen meteor towers pop up and thinking "wow, that looks like a problem for someone who gives a gently caress". Just planting my feet and turreting, mashing Manaward so I don't have to dodge the aoes, getting mad at healers for saving me from myself. It's great.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Looking forward to learning Ventral Wave Cannon and Dorsal Wave Cannon.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Speak of Omega, I love sharing science facts with roulette friends.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Was thinking about this, and why is it? Wouldn't the Firestarter proc be either just launched off right away as a bonus or necessarily spent the next time you reenter AF, so it never has a chance to replace Fire 1 as your timer refresher?

Basically any comparison of how much potency a spell or weaponskill adds to your rotation needs to consider what else you could be using that global recharge time for. For example, Xenoglossy isn't a "free" 800 potency, it adds 800 minus the potency of what you would otherwise be casting instead. BLM in general is kind of a pain to math out, because afaict there's nowhere in game where it tells you exactly how much the % boost for Astral Fire is, but Firestarter gives you an extra spell to cast, while Thundercloud boosts a spell you were going to cast anyway.

edit: It shouldn't "replace" Fire I if you're playing optimally, but it will extend your overall rotation, adding a new spellcast to it. Also, you shouldn't save it to reenter fire phase, since it gets a cast time reduction while Umbral Ice is up anyway. It's best used to either extend your fire timer or after your mana hits 0, right before you go back into ice phase.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 24, 2022

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Note that this level of optimization is almost purely academic. Even in current Savage raids, you're better off saving your brainpower for positioning and timing of instant casts/leylines, so you can keep uptime (and stay within range of healing) while dodging everything that you need to.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

During P4S prog, I managed to refine my SMN rotation to the point where I consistently spent the very last two casts in my cycle on Ifrit dashing right as I needed to bait a proximity attack. Stopped doing it though, because it's easier to just use an instant cast and walk there, but it felt very cool at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Deathgaze rules. The only duty that gives me similar feelings of joy is Shinryu, watching literally everyone get swept off the arena by Tidal Wave 10 seconds into the fight.

One time, I started the fight warning sprouts to run towards the wave and someone tried jumping into it.