Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Honestly I wouldn't mind having a WoW-style normal bossfight (maybe in a regular dungeon) where the boss is just constantly making GBS threads out damage at semirandom targets along with partywide attacks so the healers don't have a chance to DPS because they've really gotta be hitting the basic heals. P3N is kinda close the way the offtank starts getting constantly slammed but apply that to the whole party.

all that would happen is that wipes become more common as bad healers struggle to keep up while good healers keep dpsing away because they actually know how to efficiently use their nigh-infinite ogcd healing tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

is there really much i can do solo in Zadnor (or BSF if I have to) as reaper to earn some xp? skirmishes are seemingly completely beyond me unless other folks are around

if you don't feel like spending essences of the beast and lost assassinate to become a functionally immortal death machine, there's a couple other ways to boost your survivability a lot. potionkits trigger automatically once you hit 50% hp and heal you for 50%, and protect/shell 2 give a 15% defense buff for 30 minutes and can just be replaced with other lost actions after applied. if there's no one around to take aggro, you can also bring incense for another 20% mitigation and banner of firm resolve for another 30% mitigation. lost cure 2 is an ogcd and pretty powerful so you can weave it in while taking damage. if all else fails you can slap on an essence of the platebearer for an 80% defense buff and 45% hp buff.

if you plan to use literally zero resources you are poo poo out of luck however

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if the tank is low on hp then we all know it's the dps' fault for being poo poo and not killing things faster

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i want to clarify this isn't sarcasm, the worst thing that can happen to a tank and healer in a dungeon is lovely dps

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

TopHatGenius posted:

You should do BLU savage.

BLU savage owns

Vargs posted:

As a newcomer, how does this game do gearing between patches anyways? Is the equipment I'm getting now going to be pointless and easily replaced once 6.1 comes out like in WoW?

people already answered it, but yeah the short answer is gear becomes outdated roughly every eight to ten months when a new raid tier hits.

the longer answer is that every raid tier puts gear in three tiers. starting from ilvl 10 for ease of illustration:
ilvl 10: crafted gear and normal raid gear
ilvl 20: tomestone gear
ilvl 30: savage raid gear and augmented tomestone gear

major non-raid patches (6.1, 6.3 and 6.5) then add augmented crafted gear and alliance raid gear to the ilvl 20 tier so you're not too far behind savage raiders if you're late to a raid tier. every new raid tier (6.2, 6.4) then effectively resets the gear curve by making the new crafted and normal raid sets ilvl 40, so they'll be better than the best gear from the previous raid tier.

if you don't care about high-end raiding, the easiest way to stay on the curve is just being in a free company and asking a helpful crafter what materials they need to make the latest set and coast on by the for the next eight months

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i ignore all call-outs and do mechanics on my own because trust is a weakness

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i will force every ranged dps, at gun point, to play white mage and/or scholar for a month, just so i can purposefully stand one step outside their asylums and sacred soils

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Roluth posted:

I have been tempted to Rescue ranged DPS that hang out in Narnia into my Soil.
They still won't learn.

i've done that more than once, and every single time they moved out of it. i am still unsure if it's ignorance, stupidity or spite that fuels them

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Last year I had a white mage get flustered because I was standing at the boss' rear end in leveling roulette as mch. They said it makes it harder for me to avoid damage (I hadn't taken any avoidable damage prior to that).

it's funny because donut aoes exist specifically to punish those filthy ranged dps for hanging out at the edge of the arena

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tamba posted:

I switched from WHM to Sage, and the other healer in my static switched to WHM, and I was shocked to find out that Asylum is invisible if you turn party spell effects to limited or off.
And there is no way that I'm leaving the full effects on after the Summoner changes.

asylum and sacred soil, along with offensive puddles like doton and salted earth, still show on Limited. they're possibly invisible if you turn effects to Off, at which point you're still trolling your healers, or if you're tank the ninja putting down doton

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Speaking of Bozja, the Duels seem scary. I want to try them, but performing in front of an audience seems like it'd be nerve-wracking. Even with the cheese strats.

the only way to get better at them is to keep failing at them. anyone who's ever cleared them has plenty of failures under their belts, and generally most other viewers don't really care one way or another

but if you use the flare star speed kill strat i won't respect and if you fail using it i will laugh at you

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

on the flipside it was pretty funny being "off-tank" for o12s p2 and just putting Avail on the tank for the shared tankbuster so i can keep doing my burst

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i just negate the water knockback regardless because there's roughly ten thousand years between the cape knockback happening and fire/poison resolving

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Rip my ability to upgrade my caster set from normal raid gear to limited tomestone gear. The pains of not being a savage player.

you can augment the limited tomestone gear with the weekly alliance raid tokens that come in 6.1. savage just gives you a four month headstart on augmenting tomestone gear

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's also the level 81 crafted tome, dyable too

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

finally, blue mage season again

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

blastron posted:

Wait, is that why I’m constantly getting Crystal Tower? I thought it was just sprouts needing it for story reasons. hosed up if I’m being forced into boring content because people want to save five minutes.

Maybe I’ll not stand on the pads on purpose.

crystal tower is always gonna be the most common because it's the lowest level alliance raid and the only msq-mandatory one, so it'll naturally have eligible people in roulette at any given time.

but also whenever you see someone show to a crystal tower raid naked and then quickly put on gear, that's them manipulating their ilvl to not even risk the small chance of not getting crystal tower

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

How common is it to learn about the edge's of the arena in E1N the hard way?

very

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

im going to force mentors to do all ex trials synced

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

Any timeline on hrothgals yet?

no

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the only mechanic that exists at level 90 for o12s is number dashes

90% of farm parties will never make it past number dashes

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the best part of alliance raids is that most arenas are so big ranged dps actually manage the mythical feat of standing outside of earthly star

i should be allowed to vote-kick them mid-fight frankly

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah just Aegis if you don't count the summons.

Is there any use for the pet hotbar now?

there's gonna be a use when they announce the beast master limited job for 6.25

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Oneiros posted:

i've found it's pretty common for people still in the msq to go into dead ends with sub-89 gear. even without that consideration the tank or healer being top overall dps in there is not unusual since the pulls are pretty big and their aoe gets put to good use

the msq hands out free 89 gear at that point and dps also happen to have aoe buttons, so there's no reason for dps to have worse dps other than committing the cardinal sin of being bad at video games

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Alxprit posted:

One of these days I'll suck it up and actually actively ask people if they want to do Castrum Licus Latore with me...

when i did a CLL on a lark yesterday, 20-ish people signed up. seems like the xp increase on it might actually be appreciable in coaxing people into doing it?

and yeah, Baldesion Arsenal in Eureka isn't so bad. as people mentioned there's plenty of discords that organise learning runs, and in my experience the cast majority of those clear first try. even the "no rezzing penalty" is a bit overblown since there are methods to rez people aside from the final boss. only issue is that between forming parties, waiting for BA to pop up, and actually running BA, you're looking at a good 90+ minute commitment so you gotta set some time aside for it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cleretic posted:

For me it brings back memories of Hamidon raids from City of Heroes. Yeah, Hamidon wasn't the most fun part of the game by a long shot, but there's something about a group that big coordinating an attack successfully against such a huge foe that you just don't get in games after that era of MMOs.

haven't thought about punching a volcano-sized nucleus in the face for a hot minute

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

S.J. posted:

Yeah, give us back un-nerfed Ivalice already

the actual mechanical complexity of orbonne is still unchanged, the only difference is you don't wipe because more than half the raid struggles with such high-difficulty concepts as "have three people on the pad with three markers on it", "don't overlap giant aoes" and "don't drag trailing aoes through the party".

in a raid that already takes 40 minutes on a good run, i'm quite happy with not adding another 10 to 20 minutes to it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's a shame the entirety of that phase is still in the extreme version

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like if someone can get to Savage tier 4 you can at bare minimum assuming they can do enough DPS and the problem is likely more dying to loving mechanics instead of being an ice mage and no amount of DPS tracker is going to fix that.

earlier in the tier i ran into a surprisingly large amount of parties that couldn't make it past the p4s door boss enrage even with zero deaths. this doesn't really happen anymore since people have appreciably better gear at this point, but there was definitely a period where being bad at dps meant you were preventing the group from making progress

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if parsing was legal people wouldn't have to set ludicrously high min ilvl requirements to make sure people can pass enrage checks

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

This week I joined an Ultima Unreal party that required ilevel 590 which is very funny because Ultima Unreal syncs to ilevel 565. It doesn't matter if you're wearing full 600 or your level 89 AF set!

ostensibly it's to filter out people who don't know how to play their job, or the game

it never works

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

"This fight syncs everyone down to 565, better require 595 ilevel in the party finder."

I hate this part of a gear cycle, where people who put time into the limited tomestone assume everyone else has as well on any job they might bring.

the best part is that five minutes in pf will disavow you of any notion that there's any correlation between item level and skill level

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

im ilvl 600 and complete garbage, i should know this

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

now i'm no advocate of driving by the nearest bookstore and yelling that snape kills dumbledore, but also if you enter a space for discussing a thing, you should probably consider the risk of seeing people discuss the thing

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

pretty sure you can, since eureka relics just require materials you get from doing eureka normally. the only hitch is that unlocking light farms in pagos and pyros requires finishing weapons for the previous zones, but even the light farm step is job-agnostic in eureka

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

you can beat ravana ex in a minute or less as a 90 dps, then open the coffer as a paladin to have three to four items to turn in.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Valentin posted:

I've been putting this off for months, because it's the last piece of major story content I have left (I think) and I didn't want to rush through it. But if it needs to be done by August, then it's finally time.

more likely october really, the relic is 6.25 stuff

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Vitamean posted:

i think they should slowly roll out datacenter travel to saints of the firmament first, before slowly opening the tap more over time

agreed

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

No BLU either. Sorry pal you're only about halfway done

especially when half the glams are already blue. hosed up imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Corbeau posted:

e: I'm trying to think of a class that feels better in EW compared to ShB. Well, except for BLM. Obviously. Most of the new stuff felt to me like pretty redundant buttons with flashy animations attached, and what good came from the expansion turnover was primarily in adding little bits of QoL to old buttons.

i've come to prefer EW MNK over ShB MNK after getting acclimated to the masterful blitz system, and i went from disliking ShB BRD to actually quite enjoying EW BRD, though i'm told old BRD mains have the opposite opinion on that. also as someone mentioned, while SCH didn't get any particularly big changes, it removed a ton of small jank elements that added up to make a huge difference

Roluth posted:

I'm beginning to think that the reason the Nier raids take so long is not because the bosses have too much HP, it's that the kind of people that do ADR above 80 aren't very good at the videogame. One of the reasons the Crystal Tower raids don't take all that long (aside from the gear advantage) is that the lvl 50 rotations are very simple. Feels like a lot of pubbies can't grok their 80 rotations. Either that, or because of the ADR ilvl cheese, people don't remember the raid when it comes up once in a blue moon.

Alegia doesn't take all that long because it's current and has relevant rewards, so the people playing it aren't just there to get easy XP.

the fundamental issue with alliance raids is that your contribution is a drop in the bucket. in four person or even eight person roulettes, if several people are bad at video games you can still make up some of the difference with your own performance. if 15 out of 24 people struggle with pressing 1-2-3 on their keyboards then a run might take 10, 15 or 20 minutes longer than it ought to and there's nothing you can do about it

maybe it's overly elitist of me, but every so often i see first-time unsync parties for shadowbringers msq dungeons and all i can think of is, it's gonna suck real bad when this person inflicts themselves on me during roulettes