Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Pigbuster posted:

Part of why it’s funny is that most of those vets died to it when they were newbies, so it’s like a shot of nostalgia. Then there are the occasional mechanics like the Demon Wall’s knockback are like guaranteed to kill unaware players unless a vet remembers to mention it, but it’s usually not malicious and more that they forget to type it out, or assumed everyone knew already.

Honestly poo poo like this makes me feel better, I'm just like barely out of ARR and feel like I'm really bumblefucking around as the tank sometimes. Good to know that most people aren't gonna get too annoyed at me for that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I'm curious, how do people actually go about finding cool pieces for Glamours? I feel like there's not a great resource outside of like, just looking at armor in game but that's not ideal for a lot of reasons.

(Also, side note, if anyone wants to slide me the locations of some cool axes I'd appreciate it. I'm using the Gold Saucer axe, which is admittedly super cool)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dareon posted:

Time Mage is a fairly common job, but with the lack of support classes in the design space, I'd say we're unlikely to see it except maybe as a new tool in AST's kit. Berserker likewise exists, but "You no longer get to control a character" is only a worthwhile option if you have an entire party to control. Chemist would be a weird one (Does anyone ever use the status-inflicting potions, or even potions at all after a certain level?), I could in theory see a healer that uses items to fuel their abilities, but no other class has a baked-in cost in gil to play. The only dressphere from X-2 we don't already have is Lady Luck (Gun Mage counts as Mystic Knight), but with all the Gambler glam it doesn't feel like they'd add an explicit Gambler class... Mediator and Calculator from Tactics are right out... And now we're getting into weird one-offs, like Morpher or Green Mage.

Personally I'd like to see a mage tank, heavily focused on barrier spells and maybe debuffs.

Berserker could honestly be combined with Viking from FF3 into some kind of tanking job. Though even then, they both kinda conflict with WAR as "big angry tank with axe".

I do like the idea of Green Mage as a tank though. They selfcast defensive buffs and fight with a mace.

Chemist, if anything, would probably be a limited job.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

instead of a gunblade you have an entire bandolier of gunknives

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

RME posted:

All the pixel remasters (well at least the NES games and 4) are retuned to be much easier, so I doubt you have to think too much about 2s weird system

I can personally say that the FFV remaster is pretty much unchanged in difficulty. Some mechanics function differently and some bugs are fixed but it's nothing you'll notice unless you're already super deep in the weeds on 5.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Flavorwise, if you're looking for hybrids, you probably want Ninja or Red Mage. Ninja. Ninja dual wields daggers with a dash of ninja magic, and Red Mage is a full on magic/melee hybrid: cast spells to build up meter, then blow that meter to unleashed enchanted melee combos on the enemy.

Neither are usable from the start though. :v: Rogue (the base class for Ninja) unlocks when you get another class to 15, Red Mage requires you have another class at 50 and the Stormblood expansion

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Finally it's Geomancer's time to shine

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mainwaring posted:

The problem with getting starbird is all other minions become redundant, as there's no point having anything else active.

I would like to humbly submit

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kheldarn posted:

I'm wondering how he managed to make it past It's Probably Pirates without realizing that you DO have to play with others.

He says this all happened in 2020, so there wasn't a Duty Support for Sastasha, as that didn't exist until Patch 6.1 in April of 2022.

He doesn't explicitly say it, but given how he talks about the exp boost, it sounds like he was just massively overleveled for like, every dungeon. Something that carried him until Shadowbringers.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ah, you can't unsync dungeons for first time completions? I've never tried.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

TheWorldsaStage posted:

That pvp vendor has some gems. I love the little owl ast weapon

I've strongly considered leveling up my Monk purely so I can wear the Hawkliege Claws

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

world's least charismatic man walks on stage

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Chillgamesh posted:

I wonder how Pictomancer would work if we actually get it…? Corsair makes a lot of sense as the new melee since a Rogue-type class that isn’t Ninja is a pretty big gap in the job roster, and it’s easy to see how it could play. But Picto seems a lot more abstract and difficult to implement

I mean, I think it's abstract as they want it to be, it could be an incredibly involved pet class (lmao) involving drawing creatures or it could be literally a mage but the flavor is red paint, blue paint, yellow paint instead of Fire Ice Lightning.

Anyways I think it would be cool if the job gauge is a paint palette and a bunch of their spells add colors to the palette that they can spend on big attacks or utility, something along the lines of samurai or ninja

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I imagine the only way to realistically improve your frontlines win ratio is to become an excellent shot-caller.

And even then you're gonna need people to, you know, actually listen.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

So that is 5 shirts that are the most obvious thing and only 1 shirt that requires a stretch. The most obvious thing for a TMNT shirt is "these guys are green. Hence green mage."

Since Green Mage is a bit light on "identity" it gives them a lot of space to really make something unique. I've seen it said that FFXIV is really lacking in "nature" jobs. I hope it goes that route.

I really only have a problem with Green Mage just because I genuinely think it would make more sense as a tank job. Cast buffs and debuffs as mitigation, then smack people with maces. Green Mage would just seem like a weird pick for Magical DPS because it's a class that literally doesn't have any damaging spells.

And sure, they could change that, but like why even pick green mage in the first place why not just make something else

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The same could be said for Sage, which has probably been used in more games than Green Mage.
I guess that's fair, but I still feel like "Mage that is good at both black and white magic -> Healer that can uniquely heal by doing damage" makes more sense than "Mage that buffs allies and debuffs enemies and has no offensive power -> Mage that is primarily categorized by its offensive power"

Doomykins posted:

If classes were bound by actual representation in the series then BRD would be nearly unusable, as an example. :allears: If it's GRN then they'll make up a bunch of stuff and theme it to what they have. Can't Blind enemies in FF14? What if you conjured up a flaying field of thorny vines that give trash in dungeons a miss chance? Etc.

I don't necessarily follow this logic? There aren't many examples of bard in FF but it uses songs to support allies and sometimes has access to bows, and Bard in 14 is an archer that buffs allies with songs. That totally tracks.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Gonna be real funny when everyone ends up wrong and we get a caster with a turtle familiar

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The pizzas function as an effective lock, that can be opened at any time by his incredibly large pizza cutter

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Onean posted:

Still wish it was just a permanent addition, though.

They might be worried it'll be a dead queue if it's always available.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My cat likes to tap me on the shoulder when its almost dinnertime and I haven't fed him yet. Hasn't messed me up in Final Fantasy yet but he's definitely jumpscared me in horror games before.

I've caught him in the act, even:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Bruceski posted:

Show of hands, who else completely forgets that Inner Release nullifies knockback until you get hosed by it?

oh my god this explains a lot

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Level 100 is when you finally get access to the sphere grid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Big agree. I think it makes sense to do a duty that's a little different (like stealth) and give you a character who's toolkit is designed around it. It certainly beats the pants off of "do this dumbed down trial with a boring 6 button kit"