Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not any zone change (eg you can't put the commander back to the zone when it enters the battlefield), just hand/library/exile/graveyard.
It's also at instant speed? Or at least a player can't choose to move it while another spell is resolving, only after, which matters for things like Breach the Multiverse. Everyone mills 10, caster gets to take a creature/planeswalker from each gy. If a commander is milled it's a valid target, the owner can't exile it to the command zone and save it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Mindcrank + Bloodchief's Ascension for it to be guaranteed.
I got a Bloodchief Ascension in a CMM draft and have been running it for a couple weeks now. It's sort of at an odd spot, lower power tables see it and disproportionately freak out, higher power tables have the tools to remove it and it's not the game-ender it could be with wheels or other forced draw.

I still like it, but it's not quite what I thought it would be from reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MasterBuilder posted:

And if you meld to Brisela you don't get whichever half is your commander back which feels bad man.

Wait.. what? I play a different meld deck and if the melded thing dies, both cards go to whatever zone, then next time I get priority I can put Mishra back in the command zone. I'm not following what's going on here, is that meld different?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CornHolio posted:

What's the general consensus on this precon, or Eldrazi commander decks in general? I never play competitively and like I said, when I do play it's rarely commander, so I'm not familiar with the meta.

I've played against it a half dozen times and it's solid. It's good at presenting a "hockey stick" threat curve, you're doing absolutely nothing for the first 4 turns so someone else is the threat, then you're untapping 7+ colorless mana with a 2 mana discount on spells and cascading eldrazi nonsense. I'd expect it to play well at casual tables, even relatively high powered ones.

TotalHell posted:

Most of the BG3 character cards spiked some since the game came out. It helps that most people felt that the set they’re was bad, I guess, so they were low but now have gone up from demand.

Stealing this idea but it was a missed opportunity for them to create pre-cons around each of them and get ahead of that demand. I play a Baldur's Gate commander though, so I'm a little biased.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Beluna Grandsquall seems like an attempt to make an Adventures commander. But it's such a weak effect, 5 mana to maybe get 3 adventures to hand?

I was thinking of putting one together just to scan through and pull the adventure cards and Lier, but if it's just going to die to pre-cons it's hard to justify.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
If I've got infinite colored mana and I'm trying to thoracle out it seems like there'd be a way to do that without a sacrifice outlet.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You don't need a sac outlet, you can return her to the command zone from exile as a state based action after casting the adventure
Good to know!

Floppychop posted:

I just recently got sucked back in after being clean for 10 years and picked up that secret lair angels deck.

How do I run Brisela as a commander? Pick one of the halves and hope I draw/tutor the other one?
The BRO meld pairs generally have one half that's more "durable" than the other. Mishra's meld has Unearth, Titania has a land, Urza's got an artifact.

For Brisela, I think you want Bruna as the commander, hope to get Gisela into the graveyard, then reanimate on the Bruna cast and meld at end of turn?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

A Moose posted:

Just finished putting together this Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck. I tried not to go too crazy, I don't wanna be the archenemy every game and put infinite combos in. The most I have is Savage Ventmaw and Hellkite Charger for X 1-mana combat phases.

https://archidekt.com/decks/5367545/scion_of_the_urdragon

Any suggestions? Maybe things I should take out to be more casual?

Edit: I know the mana base is hot garbage, I just threw whatever lands weren't currently in other decks and filled in the gaps with tap lands

Shows up as "Page Not Found" for me? Are the permissions set right?

I'm getting to play with my brother again this week. Rambling, boring story ahead: He's more casual than I am, plays a lot of green landfall stuff. Phylath deck, Omnath deck, that kind of thing. The last time we sat down for commander I was running my Azorius Artifacts build and another player was considering who to target for Bribery, and was wondering aloud if his green deck would have a Bane of Progress. He was a little distracted and I answered for him, "He doesn't know." The others thought this was a grave insult but he just slaps together whatever's in his collection and knowing things by name is a bit of a stretch. Ended up pulling a Silverback Elder from his deck anyway.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I'm pretty new to EDH, but why is that rule in place?

Back when it was all about the Elder Dragons from the acronym, all of them were 7/7. Getting hit by one 3 times should kill anyone.

In practice it can take down life gain decks where they're sitting at 150+ and otherwise don't have to worry about damage.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Does anyone like planechase? Like enough to run the dedicated cards that let you cheat the die rolls for cheaper?

I've played a handful of games with it and the variety is nice. But generally folks either forget it's there or land on a benign plane and just play out a normal game from turn 5.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hello Commander thread. I do not post here often.
These two cards are combined to Big Furry Monster.

That's awesome! I love meld cards and that's the OG. Wearing 12/12's as earrings, such great card(s). Happy you got to pull it off again!

starbarry clock posted:

seems like theres so many eggshells to walk on in commander sometimes

Batterypowered7 posted:

Tell 'em to go kick rocks.
Yeah I've come around that this is the answer. I've made a couple genuine mistakes and caused some individual folks to have a bad time that I regret, but in general there's a noise floor for commander games where you've just got to ignore the complaints.

One of my first commander nights someone made a big stink about targeted single-land destruction, like pull-me-aside hey this is bad manners... then later took an 18 minute turn to thoracle out against precons. Frankly, I don't think he had everyone's fun in mind at any point and was just complaining to complain. Scolding to scold without any coherent posture behind it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Batterypowered7 posted:

and that one Rogue whose name I can't remember right now.

Zareth San, the Trickster? Whenever Zareth San deals combat damage to a player, you may put target permanent card from that player’s graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.

I stole some enchantment from a Boros deck that gave everything doublestrike. He was a monster that game, pulling 2 permanents a turn from graveyards can get quite powerful. Things like Evolving Wilds are great, repeated value pulling them out.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

kung fu jive posted:

With that said, I am already looking to add another deck to my repertoire. I sat up until 2am this morning on Scryfall and EDHRec looking at stuff. The latter site is ok, but I already get the feeling that it could be a bit stifling in the creativity department since it looks like it just recommends based on submitted data? Anyway, it's at least helpful to see what is out there. Scryfall on the other hand is super powerful. The advanced search is bonkers. As I learn more I see myself using this a ton.

I really want to build something around a commander / deck identity that copies spells. I'm thinking mono-blue but I'm not married to that idea. I remember playing Standard when Storm was a thing and how busted it was. If anyone has any recommendations or ideas on where to start there I would appreciate it. Since I don't know much about the format, well known decks are okay to recommend but also bonus points for odd/fringe commanders that I can build around.

EDHRec can sort of lead you towards "good stuff" piles if you're just going from a Commander and scrolling down the list. The "themes" section mentioned above is great, you can click through a Theme and color identity and see a lot of cards you might not otherwise be aware of.

Something folks on Discord pointed out to me is the EDHRec filtering options. For any given commander there can be a few directions to take them in, by default you'll see a lot of staples. You can add filters, like this commander "with Maddening Cacophony" to focus it on the decks that are trying to do the thing you want. There's also negative filtering, like taking out anything with Temple of the False God to remove the 'bad' decks, but I don't do as much of that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I run a Notion Thief and have wheeled the table into it before. Rule 0 covered it though, someone was testing a K'rrik cEDH deck and folks were fine with higher powered things. One player was happy to keep the 1st draw of the turn after assuming it was shutting off all new cards.

Khanstant posted:

Play stax pieces as scapegoats for your REAL game plan.
I'm about to cut Mindslaver from a deck and it's only ever been a lightning rod to attract removal from the stuff I actually want to activate. Can't be bothered to read a whole new handful of cards, how awful would that be.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MasterBuilder posted:

Played 3 games this weekend. The first lasted close to 2 hours for a 5 player game (me: hama pashar dungeons, a bruna voltron, a Dr who commander and 2 others). It was long but pretty chill. I think I need to tune my deck a bit to actually end the game.

I overheard someone at the game store yesterday saying "every player beyond 4 adds an hour" and I believe it. "One more board wipe, one more counter," etc. etc.

I built a deck around Yenna, Redtooth Regent. Bought the WOE Virtue & Valor pre-con and swapped in a bunch of stuff from my collection. It played quite well! Partially because I was able to get Smothering Tithe out on curve... then copy it the next turn. The original deck had 22 auras, after my cuts it's at 20, once those started copying around and untapping Yenna and scrying? It's ridiculous. A bunch of aura based removal, Darksteel Mutation, Ossification, etc. Yenna can double those up too.

The best aura was Songbird's Blessing. When it attacks, reveal from the top until another Aura, put it on the battlefield. Yenna duped it onto another creature, was pulling 2 more auras a turn from that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I want to try Gunslinger sometime? That seems fun and unique and worth a shot. But otherwise yeah I'll just sit and comment on a 4-player game, much better than trying to lean over the table or yell out to ask what a card does.

I meant to ask, do folks like Infinitoken? The Yenna copy deck was fun but having 3 "Copy" tokens didn't really help me when there were 15 auras in play. I think that deck needs a better solution and I'm debating having markers around my nice cards versus something ridiculous like having proxy copies of the auras in the deck.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
When I first started playing commander I wanted a "no max hand size" card everywhere. Then I started making decks and would wait until some situation where an 8th card was critical before looking to put that in and I've only had one close call. Dimir deck that does a lot of discard/mill/wheel effects, looking at Library of Leng to prevent milling myself out, even then I didn't go for it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
My first deck was a 2 color precon and swapping out all the ETBT duals for basics significantly improved it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Abzan got a ton of food support in WOE, the LOTR-only is really hampering you there. Night of Sweet's Revenge, Tough Cookie, etc.

I made a Yenna, Redtooth Regent deck. It's been fun to play but nothing else has made me learn so many rules. It's pretty common to cheat an aura into play, and attaching it can sometimes evade shroud. I'm constantly having to count enchantments on my board, on the whole battlefield, auras specifically, enchantments+creatures. Timestamps on auras, checking if the aura's giving an effect or giving the creature an effect, e.g. Snake Umbra's effect overwritten by Kenrith's Transformation. It ends up kinda voltron-y, stacking auras on a creature or two and Yenna making copies of everything.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Finally got some games in after a couple weeks off. Enchantress with Yenna, Redtooth Regent is still a lot of fun.

I'm having trouble with becoming the arch villain. Yenna can get one (or more) Smothering Tithes on the board, and/or voltrony suit up a couple creatures with a bunch of auras. But I scale up, draw a bunch of cards, then die to the whole table conspiring together to tear it all down.

Should I try to be going higher or lower? Like optimizing to the point where I can defend my triple smothering tithe from the rabble, or try to play a little slower and stay even with the other players until I can seal it?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
My Krydle deck managed to deck a second player!

It was me, I decked myself. I've got a bunch of wheel effects and thought Waste Not would be a neat addition. I had a turn set up where I was going to wheel twice and drew into a third. The first was 7 from another player, Waste Not put 8 extra cards into my hand. I probably should've pumped the brakes at some point but I'm still learning so I went for glory and fired off the other 2 wheels. What I hadn't counted on was all the incidental discard from drawing everyone up to 15, Waste Not drew the rest of my deck out in a single turn cycle.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Balon posted:

At like $30 how can you not??

Oh wow, clicking through and I'd watched your Krydle video months and months ago when I was first putting it together.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ineffable posted:

That said, I'm probably searching for reason where there isn't any, because none of this accounts for why on earth WotC would put Reliquary Tower in a precon whose commander already removes the hand limit.

Zooming back out to 10,000ft view, completely ignoring the discussion context and the actual effect... any effect worth putting in your deck is worth putting an extra copy of? Commanders often, you know, die.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Critical question, need to know before I head out to the LGS tonight: What color sleeves for Esper?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is it a Control deck? The color is Pink for those.
Nah, not really. Artifacts. Urza, Chief Artificer.

Aphrodite posted:

Ravenclaw art sleeves.
I'm tempted to go art because I hate it when cards end up upside down. Haven't split a sleeve yet but it's only a matter of time.
I know someone who had to re-sleeve a deck because they kept getting "bad shuffles" with these after a long time? Couldn't draw a forest to save his life.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I love blue decks and mill decks :v:

Urza won a pod last night. I got a huge board early, got wiped. Built up 2 karnstructs, swung with them and Urza for lethal. I saw the line a turn out, cyc rift with counterspell backup. Officious Interrogation got me 18 clues after someone played Avenger of Zendikar right before my turn.

Mishra fared far worse. Krenko and Helm of the Host generated a huge amount of goblins, then someone cast a board wipe that pinged per creature destroyed. My last game action was getting 40 more goblins before the purge, pumping someone's Yahenni to ludicrous levels.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

also decks that end up being solitare at the table also suck
there's a player around me who structures decks to have this kind of wincon, arguing that taking <1 minute on all the early turns justifies the 30 minute solitare game at the end? im not a fan

Silhouette posted:

did your craterhoof get milled
tooth & nail countered

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://x.com/magicalgirlkyra/status/1574945688105861120

Balon posted:

I like playing Mill because I like my opponents to have a chance.
Yeah when I was new to milling I'd chuck things in opponent graveyards and someone in the pod would have reanimate/recur effects. Now I'm more aware when I'm kingmaking.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I cast someone's Whispering Madness (wheel effect) from a graveyard with a Hive Mind out, someone Swords'd a good cipher target with that on the stack. Unwinding that may have been one of the most complex stacks I've dealt with.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Batterypowered7 posted:

Bloodchief Ascension in my Rogues deck just gets me instantly deleted from the table, right?

I run it in a Krydle deck along with Mindcrank. Multiple times I've heard it called "too good for bad tables, too weak for good ones" and I get that. It's one enchantment removal to deal with it forever, without Sheoldred or something else pinging folks it can take some time to get online. Krydle can get 2 damage per combat, inefficiently. I've had the infinite combo on the board and had it cyc rifted away before it killed anyone.

I'm clear about what it does, point out the combo pieces when they're around, and haven't had too much trouble with it. It doesn't really ratchet up to archenemy threat on it's own.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MasterBuilder posted:

Does anyone have a mid tier deck to compare mine against? The ones I see on moxfield seem to skew cEDH or 50 creature monstrosities.
From how the edhrec folks were talking about Voja, just searching anything that includes another Wolf will filter you down from the peak.

Cleretic posted:

-Can win out of nowhere
I'm working on one of these decks. Five 10 second turns, then a 10 minute turn where I flip my deck over onto the battlefield and claim victory. Mono-U proliferating and drawing.

What's a mono-blue wincon that isn't drawing the deck out?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

generatrix posted:

Psychosis Crawler (+ Soldevi Digger and a discard outlet in case crawler was in the bottom 40 of your deck 😛)

Still draws the deck out, but doesn’t use Thoracle if that’s what you were getting at.

Or good old Gobin Cannon.

The one win with this deck so far was Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, so I'm not totally opposed to it? But I'd rather *do* something like Radstorm up poison counters than draw out.

Psychosis Crawler's great, thanks!

Cannon seems a little trickier, I'm resolving Omniscience or similar effects not making infinite mana.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Silhouette posted:

Metallurgic Summonings and any spellslinger enabler in the command zone

Orvar and Hullbreaker Horror with a hand full of poo poo that can target hullbreaker

Oh it's Jin-Gitaxias, dodging his taxes. I pulled a bunch of Omniscience and rather than let them collect dust in my trade binder I wanted to cast it. Cheating it out with The Great Synthesis is a blast.

Copying Hullbreaker's amazing, I wanna try that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Secret Machine posted:

? Hullbreaker has two modes, bounce opponents permanents or return your own permanents to hand.

Not sure if this is a typo/joke but... no?

quote:

{5}{U}{U}
Creature — Kraken Horror
Flash
This spell can’t be countered.
Whenever you cast a spell, choose up to one —
• Return target spell you don’t control to its owner’s hand.
• Return target nonland permanent to its owner’s hand.

I've bounced my own permanents to rack up infinite storm, but they're correct that it specifies spells you don't control.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
After reading a zillion hot takes I finally sat down in a pod with Voja. They were locked at 3 lands, someone may have blown up an elf? They scooped and went home early.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I have an Obeka deck in paper that I may get to play this week. I'm just starting to try 3-color decks. Goldfished it some, the curve's pretty high as a lot of Upkeep-matters cards are 4~5+ mana.

Anyone else going to the Command Fest in SF this weekend?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

JawnV6 posted:

I have an Obeka deck in paper that I may get to play this week. I'm just starting to try 3-color decks. Goldfished it some, the curve's pretty high as a lot of Upkeep-matters cards are 4~5+ mana.

Got to play Obeka tonight, and it did pretty well. I packed mine with all the Initiative effects I could muster. Someone had a selesnya Arcades Sabboth effect, combat damage assigns toughness, so I ran the Undercity the first time I swung out. Got to choose between dropping Moraug or Xanathar onto the field for free. It's a lot of triggers, I should've included more dungeon traversal in the goldfishing. I'm going to cut Urabrask, Heretic because it ended up being annoying to handle the opponent trigger. Braid of Fire looks interesting, see if I can find a copy.

I think it'll always be somewhat slow to start, turn 4 or 5 before it really starts cranking. But a lot of fun!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I built Obeka with a bunch of upkeep trigger creatures (wildfire devils, dragonmaster outcast, herald of leshrac) Some decent enchanments too, endless ranks of the dead, palace siege, and the 6 courts. Replicating ring came in clutch as well. Very fun, would play again.
I was looking at the old enchantment cycle "Hondens" which are decent enough on the brawl side. I couldn't find all the courts, then decided I didn't want both the initiative and monarch bouncing around the table.

Replicating ring looks great, I've stayed away from it ever since a Brawl match with some doubling effects made it spam triggers.

generatrix posted:

Taking the initiative pre-combat seems like it would be pretty good in that kind of build.
Taking it back with combat's tricky, I had better luck dropping another ETB:take initiative card.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Batterypowered7 posted:

Midnight Clock seems good with multiple upkeeps as well. She seems good with spells with Suspend and/or Jhoira of the Ghitu. Just casually suspend a Breach the Multiverse for {2}, swing with a slightly pumped Obeka, and cast it after combat (along with anything else you've suspended).
Midnight Clock absolutely screwed me in my Jin-Gitaxias deck, playing it all on curve meant my 14 card hand from flipping Jin was shuffled away for 7 fresh cards :v:

I have some Suspend stuff but it was just whatever I could find in my collection, some big things that cheat out in a turn or two if I can blitz upkeeps.

Jhoira looks awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Spanish Manlove posted:

yeah, you should maybe consider a few evasion things like Whispersilk Cloak and Security Bypass and Swordcoast Sailor

Aphrodite posted:

But don't you have to be smacking them in the face with Obeka anyway?
I have Swordcoast sailor + Rogue's Passage, a few trample combat tricks, stole something that gave her flying. But even with swordcoast the player with initiative doesn't necessarily have the highest life total, and in general the built in Menace is enough to hit someone. With enough initiative effects I still like taking it back pre-combat. I do self-target Obeka a lot, for the dungeon's +1 counters, combat tricks, etc, so hard shroud isn't the best.

I've played the deck a handful of times now. It sure takes a lot of Game Actions, tracking things through 5+ upkeeps gets sort of obnoxious. I played against a Paradox Haze deck and getting upkeeps right away makes Obeka a step up.