Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Pokemon people I am vaguely aware of seem to like it, but I am not a pokemon guy so I have no opinion.

It's not my scene. I'm a little too old to have grown up with it, and I just never was able to get into things even though I'm very willing to get into geeky stuff.

Adults being into Pokemon is an incredibly wild thing for someone of my age. I still am so confused by it. In my Gen X mind it's like an adult still watching tele tubbies or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Also, when it was on I knew a bunch of (technically) adults who would get super high and watch teletubbies. This was in a college dorm, hence the (technically) qualification.

That was also weird when it was happening lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hi friends

I downloaded Elden Ring last night on a whim based on playstation recommend

what the gently caress this is a Dark Souls game? I'm so pissed. I loving hate Dark Souls

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sticky mechanics that are a pain instead of a joy to play? Check.

Make one mistake on those mechanics and you're dead? Check.

Idiotic comments made by 12 year olds everywhere like up ahead rump but first finger? Check.

Blood stains to watch people walk off cliffs everywhere? Check.

A staff that shoots to the left of everyone you want to hit? Check.

I want my money back. It's Dark Souls

edit:

Grittybeard posted:

It's not bad, embrace death, which you will be experiencing a lot of. Also embrace running away from stuff and looking at pretty things in a horrible world.

e: Christ I'm wandering into serious talk with some dumb Elden Ring crap.

just sitting by the campfire for 8 hours have to talk about somethin

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol get rekt'd. Always view a From Software game with dark suspicion

I died 15 times. Deleted game. What a waste of time and money

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There have been some pretty funny compilation clips of Depp vs Heard's lawyer on twitter

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fun fact my brother and fellow goon wrote a script where Nick Cage is kidnapped. They did a table read with a bunch of other actors. Nick Cage eventually passed on the script. Huge sections of that script then ended up in this movie, it was a complete rip job. Not enough to do anything about it. But there are sections of this film "inspired" by a goon script.

It's pretty good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It happens all the time

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is extremely my poo poo.

It's like Lake Tahoe chic

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Got three hours to kill in SLC airport and like 10% of people are masked, lol. Delta cabin crew, pilots, not masked either. Maybe a third of the passengers masked up. Feds relaxed the mask requirement days ago. We're gonna have another surge, no question. It's about time for another variant, yeah? If one comes up anywhere in the world it's gonna rip through US airports like wildfire.

I love the SLC airport though it's legitimately a well designed airport with good options for food

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

hope you got 3 bux

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Musk is a thumb but personally I would love it if twitter was a little cleaned out. Charging people would limit all the bots and trolls a bit

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Every job I’ve ever had that starts at nine the expectation is to be there till six

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Cooking on a gas range for the first time in my life.

My god

Every time I watched House Hunters and saw an electric range and the people are like well that's a dealbreaker and I nod sagely.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And here I thought I couldn't cook breakfast in the mountains because I was hung over as balls every time

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

looooool strap in fuckers the economy is gonna eat itself again

https://twitter.com/business/status/1524382087821897729?s=21

Can’t wait to watch the government shovel billions to banks while we eat complete poo poo over this.

It won't be nearly as bad because they passed laws to limit some of the more asinine mortgages with stupid prepayment penalties. I'm not sure if NINA (no income, no asset) mortgages still exist but I think they severely restricted them. Are 2/5 ARMs still a thing?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How would we indoctrinate our kids into being gun nuts then

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gen pop in Rikers should let the problem work itself out

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I basically don't know anything about Margaret Thatcher and why she was reviled. Her wikipedia is so same-sides that I can't make heads or tails of it. I think it has something to do with the poor and homeless? Is there something you could point to that highlights the topline issues people have? You can easily point at Reagan and say well the war on drugs, the abandonment of people dying of AIDS, the idiotic trickle down economics, etc.

Pardon my ignorance

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you

I want to hear more about this prisoner

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MaximilianK posted:

Monkey pox is definitely here in NYC and they don't know how it transmits yet.

It was Brad Pitt

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It’d be nice to go to a sunny beach right now.

Tempted to say the beach drink would be margarita but I think something more fruity would be appropriate.

What’s the TFFer go-to beach beverage?

Living on the west coast I'd love to tell you that margs are the best beach drink but the Miami to Key West beach bars serving all the rum runners and frozen drinks was like 1000% more fun.

Also California doesn't know how to party on the beach, don't listen to Dr Dre

Braksgirl posted:

Depends where I am, but I really like the piña coladas with the raspberry puree swirled in them. I also like a mai tai.

we can party. I'll go strawberry over raspberry but otherwise 100

and make that mai tai firehouse style with the floating 151

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

allow booze for starters

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

but he only traveled domestically what a king

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Did the James Corden / Tom Cruise video already get posted?

What a lunatic

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Watched original Top Gun last night because I'm going to see the new one Thursday and I am hype. The original is still awesome

Same. Watching the new one in 4dx tonight for the birthday. Hype

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Obi Wan hates blasters because he’s a bad shot.

like flying

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not the hugest St. Louis fan but if I had two hours to kill it would be micro breweries for me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

When I was 17 and applying to university I was working at a supermarket. I told my direct boss and their boss I was not available for a Saturday 2 weeks in advanced as I was invited to one of the universities I applied to who do interviews and other things since it was a world famous education institution. Never heard anything until I got in for my next shift after that Saturday and all hell broke loose. I got a “written warning” and was told two weeks was not enough time and how I should concentrate on my career at the supermarket and not dream of going to university as I won’t be accepted. This was from the store manager who was known for hating anyone who was part time and not a career self stacker. He had worked his way up from a stock boy at 16 and all that bollocks.

I screwed up the warning in my hand, threw it in a bin and walked out. Company in question went belly up a few years later and the store was bought by a different chain and all the staff were not rehired.

I got into the university I went for the interview at.

When I was 19 I worked at a Office Depot while going to my freshman year of college. I put a request in two weeks in advance that I needed a Saturday off to go to a lake with my friends.

The day before I left they called me and said that was now denied since they needed me Saturday. I said well sorry I told you in advance and there's zero chance I'm missing this.

They said if I valued my job I would skip the lake and come in. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation that happened after, it was roughly:

"Do you think I need this job more than you need me as an employee? Because it feels like you don't know where the leverage here is."

"I think if you value your job over some vacation you'll cancel it."

"Well this is a learning experience for you then, because I absolutely do not value this job more than my vacation."

"...well I have to say you have some growing up to do."

"I plan on it, right after I get back from the lake."

Words can not describe what an unbelievably outstanding time I had at the lake that weekend, one of those vacations that can only be understood by remembering what it's like to be 19, drunk and laugh so hard all weekend you feel like you pulled a muscle in your stomach. I'll remember that vacation to my death bed, not so much the experience of lifting boxes for pennies.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Since we're talking about jobs I just had a phone interview that I was certain was a data-mining operation but turns out it's for a Director level job walking distance from me that pays twice what I'm currently making. Traffic time would go from an hour to five minutes.

Wish me luck on my second interview, I managed to nail that first one shooting from the hip.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

Hell yes, walking to work is a beautiful experience

I mean it's still Los Angeles so uh I'm not actually gonna walk. Also it's at Universal which if you've ever been here it's up a rather large hill.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jealous. Break a leg.

Thank you I will try

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I interviewed for a director level role at a pseudo start up in my industry (though it's got partners with some companies worth significant money). I'll find out soon if I get it but uh, not sure if I'm ready to be a director. I feel like I'll be found out as a fraud or something (plus I don't want to work more for a lot more money if I'm being honest with myself).

I don’t think they discover the frauds until VP level but by then it’s too late. At least I am hoping so

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/FaithNoMore/status/1534571099077361664 Forget that I'm a few months older than the greatest album of the 90s

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a bigger FNM / Mike Patton fan than me and even I think this is insane

edit:

fartknocker posted:

Heh, I was listening to The Real Thing the other day and that album still slaps.

same! like literally two weeks ago. The bass in Underwater Love never gets old.

edit 2 because I have to say that I think one has to listen to Faith No More or really any Patton song while looking at the lyrics. That's how you gain appreciation for his vocal phrasing which is so unique and rad.

IS THIS MY BLOOD DRIED UPON MY
FAAAAAAAACE
OR IS THIS THELOVE OF
SOMEONEELLLLLLSEE
IT TASTES SO SWEET JUST

LIKEYOUUSEDTO

SO RES
CUE
ME
MYLOVE
SPLICEUSTOGETHA!

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 9, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Samadhi posted:

A friend at work this morning had me do some light proofreading on the cover letter to his resignation/offer of a two week notice. I sat "offer" because it was attached to what can be described as a 10 page missive on the personal failings of the owner and toxic work culture. It had a table of contents with sections such as "gaslighting."

His last day is, in fact, today.

I hope when he wrote it it was exactly like in Jerry Maguire to keep the Tom Cruise theme going

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

the friend should post it on glassdoor, somehow

Running Up That Hill / Kate Bush generally is getting a big boost right now because of Stranger Things season 4. It's showing up in all kinds of different tiktoks and whatnot, so I'm sure even as we speak scores of youtubers and etc. are recording their own collaborations and covers of it

This is underselling it it's the number one song in America according to an article I didn't read

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The new bad guy is such an improvement. Giving it a focus was a much needed departure

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think Netflix would be more successful if they released episodes a week at a time. There's absolutely no staying power across social media to any of their shows thanks to how they release them.

I work for a streamer and everyone is tinkering with different release schedules these days

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Between this and the teaser, it feels like the studio has no idea how they want to market this thing. That doesn't necessarily mean the movie is going to be bad, but it looks like Peele is walking a pretty difficult tightrope in terms of tone. I'm getting The Happening vibes.

I read this as Pele and chuckled

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I enjoyed all of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a mobile home, isn't it