Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery
Happy new year comics thread! My new year's resolution is to make more edits. Let's see if I abruptly abandon it in favor of something else, like a Luann plot line, or stick with it for an excruciatingly long time, like a Rex Morgan plot line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"You've spent ten years developing the concept of 'two dogs'?"

quote:

Not gonna lie, RMMD barely survived staying on my list of comics past the New Year and I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice.

No, keep posting it! It's fun to hate.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't understand, why wouldn't Dustin want to work nights? I mean aside from the whole "Dustin just doesn't want to work at all because he's a lazy millennial" poo poo, he could work at night and then sleep during the day which would allow him to avoid the verbal abuse from his family, seems like a pretty favorable situation to me, I feel like he'd be asking for only jobs that had night shifts available.

Because the boomer writing him cannot conceive of wanting to work nights. Only jobs with 9-to-5-type hours are respectable.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

"Cable from Deadpool"

:effort:

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

dismas posted:

the thing about this Foob is that (1) I completely buy he got lost in his hometown driving but (2) it just throws into sharp relief how loving dumb the weird half-updates-to-the-modern-day thing is (drawing in seatbelts, whatever, but changing year references to the 2020s like they did a few months back for a sports thing). Now, the kid would probably have a smart phone with GPS!

:yeah:

Plus, there's also the eternal criticism: how stupid her "terrified face" in which people somehow display their entire bottom row of teeth looks. I defy you to make that expression without hurting yourself.

If this was a criticism of Ed's boomer shortsightedness and ignorance, it'd be a much better strip, but as it is we're obviously supposed to sympathize with the rich rear end in a top hat describing his son constantly applying for and working lovely temp jobs and substitute teaching as "lacking all motivation", so it loving sucks. Eat poo poo and die Skelley!

lmfao

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Can't criticize art for being off-model when everything is a perspective-defying hellscape, all the time!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Is that the joke, because rabbit's aren't rodents

I had to look this up a little while ago when (iirc) a K+K comic said or implied that rabbits were rodents. Apparently they used to be, until they were moved to the order Lagomorpha...in 1912.

When your whole thing is "animal has characteristic", you should at least try to get the characteristics right!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

you broke my grill posted:

were they moved to an already-described order or did they make up a new order to describe them because they decided rodents wasn't quite right for them?

The latter, apparently! Rabbits, hares, and pikas have two pairs of upper incisors rather than one (as rodents do). Lagomorpha and Rodentia are still sister groups and make up a single clade, though.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

"Gosh, if only there was some word or words that could capture the sound of an explosion! Ah well, better go with this."

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days March 12, 1959

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Mikl posted:

Modern Kevin & Kell

Womp womp.

There! In the distance! Something I don't have to draw that will maintain the status quo!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Like, I know this is what Peanuts was for the majority of its life and what it's best known for, but still. "Ha ha, he's miserable and hates his life because he's not good at anything and has no self-esteem! Hilarious!" The actual joke is probably supposed to be "He's massively overreacting and it's silly to imagine being a person being paved over for a parking lot" but that isn't really the punchline, the punchline is just "I will always be worthless" and as a person with brain problems it really bothers me. I'm not mad about Peanuts or anything but it's just early Peanuts was good fun and very light-hearted, and most of "modern" (for lack of a better term) Peanuts just feels spiteful and mean-spirited towards Charlie Brown, and he just becomes the butt of the joke because he sucks at everything.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba
And that, I fear, is all there is. Maruoka seems to have pivoted to writing another, more different, cyberpunk bar series in a web magazine behind a paywall - Uramachi Sakaba hasn't updated since last November. There are a couple of pre-Sakaba short comics to share, and one more that is maybe a bit much for this thread (lots of nudity, one tame-ish sex scene), but I might share behind spoilers anyway.

Also wanted to join the chorus of thanks for translating and posting this strip, I came to really like it!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

man, this poo poo sucks.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm starting to think tinkersons guy has exactly 10 character designs and refuses to create an 11th

The writing has intermittently gotten pretty entertaining, but the art is still some of the laziest garbage in this thread.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (March 31-April 1, 1975)

what's wrong with your faaaaace

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Too boxy? With this art, how could they tell?

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

As someone who is way more familiar with modern webcomics and cartoons than traditional western comic art, it's really funny to see people treat Heart of the City's art as so odd.

I don't find it odd, I just find it bad!

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I find the noses off-putting, the artist can only draw like four expressions, and I'm sick to death of comics about pop culture fandom

co-sign all three points, especially the last one

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (December 12-14, 1921)

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this comic, especially the barrage of old-timey slang. It's so charming, in what feels like an interesting sort of hyper-naturalistic way--like a concentrated version of reality. Thanks for posting it!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Zerilan posted:

it's me, I'm the idiot that gets angry hate-reading Luann

It's okay. You're among friends.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (January 16-18, 1922)

Mazda light bulbs! Named for Ahura Mazda, the Zoroastrian creator deity, who as the "good" counterpart to the evil Ahriman was naturally associated with light. themoreyouknow.gif

The Evanses have put the standard "will they, won't they" sitcom trope through their psychotic puritan filter to produce "will they not, won't they not," and I hate it!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Kell Species-Fakes Online Because Her Cat Friend Told Her To

Surely the cat version of Second Life should be "Tenth Life", right? One more than normal?

It's amazing how Holbrook manages to put exactly half a thought into every single idea he has.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

gleebster posted:

What a clever way to avoid taking the trouble of drawing identifiable vegetables. I see why goons fall all over themselves praising this strip. Here's Bettwy's other work of genius, Sales:

Still love him?

Yeah, I never quite got the shift to unrestrained praise for this strip. It can now produce a good joke or even a series of them occasionally, but most of the time the writing tops out at "unremarkable." The art is still consistently hot garbage--suggesting it has improved at all is being very, very generous!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Hostile V posted:

I Don't Think Gaslighting Your Boyfriend With A Time Skip Plot Is Going To Do Much To Help Him From Feeling Dissatisfied By Being Coddled By A Possessive Internet-Of-Things Smart House That Never Wants Him To Leave

why would being addressed with an innocuous pet name by your long-term significant other be cause for goggle-eyed horror

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

I've been reading Something Positive for years despite not really liking Milholland's art and really disliking how all of his characters sound exactly the same ("wordy and sardonic"), so worst case it's something new I can enjoy complaining about! Similarly, while I'd generally rather see an entirely new strip than an inexplicably revived 90-year-old property, at least this is being given to a (relatively) younger artist with a proven ability to produce at the level required, so it's a step in the right direction.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

I seem to be the only person who likes Big Nate, and this is why. I don't think we're supposed to see him sympathetically. I think we're supposed to see him as kind of a dick who's always getting what's coming to him. But my sense of nostalgia might be tinted. I'm too young to have read Calvin and Hobbes in actual newspapers, and Big Nate was the closest equivalent.

I don't think it's unclear that we're supposed to see him as a dick, it's just that Peirce forgot to include any of the endearing or redeeming qualities that (e.g.) Calvin has. There's no sense that he's got a strong imagination or a curious mind, no flashes of love for the people he does care for, nothing--he's just an abrasive jerk who mocks everyone around him, and is also an incompetent oaf on his own merits. Then later in the run Peirce gives him this awful, smug take-to-camera face that just makes things worse!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Nancy and Trail are barely better than their predecessors by default and at times not. I think new Trail is genuinely worse than the greatly entertaining diabetes yeti "I can draw, I don't trace!" fever dream we got.

Thimble Theater is months of meandering nonsense but it's still snappier and funnier than most strips. I've got faith in the new Sunday Popeye but if it ends up like the other new strips it'll be a shame.

And to the idea that strips should update instead of retreading yesteryear: what if zombie strips just retired instead? Maybe some new talent could emerge instead of licensing out mediocre webcomic artists looking for steady pay and morphing into zombie/bad artists themselves. Admittedly I'm an incurable grouch and new Nancy has ended up on the bottom side of the scale for me. I'd probably be happier moving it to the scroll-past list.

New Nancy has had its ups and downs, but your memory is failing you if you think it's ever been worse than Guy Gilchrist's slop. I'm more inclined to agree about new Trail, though James Allen's run also started off surprisingly strong--remember the exploding jet-ski chase? Maybe the secret is to just reboot it every three months.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Drakyn posted:

He writes Dethany's fashion choices like Rose Is Rose wrote Rose's consumption of jalapenos: with a needlessly self-amused sense of awe.

I could never quite find the words to say this so concisely; this is perfect!

Zerilan posted:

Didn't know he was seen like that when he was still alive and making his show. He's like pretty universally beloved at this point.

I think Bob Ross is primarily adored (now) as a TV presenter; as far as I know, it's not like there's been a massive reappraisal of the quality of his art, which is generally, like, "fine". The idea seems to be that it's a bit ridiculous for Nate to think of knockoff Bob Ross as the Best Artist Ever, amplified by the weird mean-spiritedness present in every interaction in the comic.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, exactly--the show is great, fun, pleasant to watch or have on, etc. It's not popular because everyone decided he's painting masterpieces.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Speaking of artists who will never be accused of creating masterpieces...

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

This is the best strip.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

readingatwork posted:

^^^ E: Honestly I think it's fine. The focus is supposed to be on the mundane slice of life stuff with the weird bits being a slow buildup in the background designed to create a weird tone. It's not trying to be a rip roaring adventure. I think the real problem is more that the pace of new pages is once or twice a week which makes things feel more dragged out than they would if you were reading this in a book collection. This is only page 118 which would be less than 4 months of traditional newspaper strips for context. We've actually covered a lot of ground plot-wise all things considered.

The primary effect for me is that whenever I see it in the thread I don't have the slightest clue what's going on, and the sparseness of both style and appearance don't provide a lot to actually hook into my memory.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh my god this whole conversation they've been having is so embarrassing

"I should dress like a Greek goddess?"

"Let's just start with not borrowing clothes from Gunther."

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Credit where it's due, modern BN seems much more self-aware over how much of a little poo poo Nate is.

At some point it really started overusing that hideous smug face, which is both bad draftsmanship and just generally unpleasant to look at.

CommonShore posted:

Are either of these numbers supposed to be impressive

$24K a year, pre-taxes, to irritate everyone around me by making them part of my extraordinarily dull streaming experience?? Sign me up!!!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Well yes, you literally just started doing this and Bets has an audience dedicated enough that she's apparently been making a living at it for years. What did you expect? If any Luann character was capable of behaving like an actual friend to any other character, we might've seen Bets, say, using her platform to help launch Tiffany's [ill-defined online video] efforts, but no, just endless blithe antagonism. These people suck.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Don't see how it could possibly be more interesting.

Not only is it not particularly impressive to work out "it's moving southwest" from clear data points, the map in the first panel does not appear to show anything moving southwest (though it does appear to show an escaped elephant moving between Washington and, like, Tennessee). Real stellar work all around here.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

No one would ever accuse this strip of having competent art, but, uh, where's the bottom of the boat in the second panel? Also, when your self-given drawing prompt is "bags and a diaper" and you cannot convincingly depict either, you may need to admit that art is not for you.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

No one would ever accuse this strip of having competent writing, but this is a real tour de force of Holbrookian moon logic, bafflingly phrased setups, and punchlines that only make sense if you can already take as read multiple elements of in-universe lunacy. Fi (whose full name is "Fistula Breech") proofread something by typing it ("letter by letter") on a computer and running autocorrect, causing her stepson to decide that she "became" "autocorrect" (which he already understands to be a sentient bee that lives in the computer), causing him to desire honey ("...on bread", for some reason). Also the only reason the kid knows that autocorrect is a sentient computer bee is that he specifically got a computer to do his homework on because he's dyslexic, and autocorrect is supposed to help this, which raises the question of why he would be doing homework in some other manner in the first place.

It's already complete nonsense if you're approaching it de novo, but if you know all the details of what's going on it actually gets orders of magnitude more incoherent. Really impressive stuff!

ukonvasara fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 21, 2022

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons
]

Lowest score means he won, and either shouldn't be on the hook for drinks or wouldn't need to have cheated. If you can't even get a golf joke right, how can you call yourself a newspaper cartoonist?

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

But... but she didn't get the muffins from a landfill. She got them from a store. And again, nothing actually happened.

Yeah, this is incoherent. It's not a pyramid scheme at all, because it actually provided physical products that people bought and sold and were satisfied with. There was no reason to refund money to anyone, since no one other than Charlotte was shown having a problem with what Heart was doing, and no one actually wanted a refund until they created and spread an elaborate lie.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

is Arnold intended to be a rebuttal to everyone who said Big Nate is a malicious piece of poo poo

because it's extremely effective

At least Arnold feels like it knows what it is -- "check out this creep" -- and embraces it.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Did that woman time travel from the 20th century or something? Otherwise she lives in a society with lizard people and people with far worse injuries and clunky looking cybernetics that look a lot more scary than a guy with bandages.

I don't think it's supposed to be "yikes, injured guy", I think it's supposed to be "oh poo poo it's that guy who hosed the crime boss's wife, better not go near him!" (which is what he then says in the next panel)

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

Murdstone posted:

I think it used to be this, but the more recent ones aren't like that. I don't even see it as a "Kids these days" thing. It's just like a "See what I did there? That's the joke."

I think the joke really is just always "here is how things were 30 years ago, wild, huh?", but sometimes it's not particularly apparent what cultural change is actually being centered, because "30 years ago (vs. now)" doesn't always maintain its clarity when it becomes "120 years ago (vs. 90 years ago)".

quote:

Mark Trail

Art's falling off again, and is the punchline really "this green thing looks like other green things", communicated in a clunkily inhuman way? yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I could believe 1000-year-old Crankshaft not recognizing one of the world's biggest movie stars and his wife, but this is getting ridiculous...albeit completely ordinary for Batiuk strips, where a guy who starred in a massive superhero franchise (and a weird pseudo-successful adaptation of Lisa's Story that somehow both flopped and earned at least one Oscar nomination) regularly just jets out to suburban Ohio and draws absolutely no media attention.

Didn't know about this one -- Battling Siki, the Senegalese world light heavyweight champion.

ukonvasara fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 17, 2022