Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Be wary sure, but it's very possible and I doubt any professional today would 'advise against it' as long as the person concerned knew what they were doing.

1990s then! Point stands.

I earnestly believe Theresa May hires someone to constantly be doing the arithmetic behind the scenes so she can do whatever she wants without worrying. She has that insane posho energy, definitely has someone to dress her in the morning.

No way, I reckon she’s such a control freak that she’d never delegate that to someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Red Oktober posted:

Bashing the torygraph is pointless here of course, but a couple of bits that really should have been challenged if this was an actual article and not just a political lobbying piece.

Just going complete unchallenged. Why is this counterintuitive?

citation loving needed. How does selling increase the shortage of homes? Unless they're selling to people who were renting of course, which takes it off the market - but doesn't that mean they're homeowners now, which the telegraph likes?

Shockingly poor, but unsurprising, all round.

I have a friend who moved and decided to rent out his flat instead of selling. I saw him the other day and he was saying how all the bad things they predicted happening to the BTL sector were indeed happening (can’t write off mortgage interest payments maybe), and that was leading to fewer properties being available. I asked him how, if the amount of housing stock was unchanged. He wasn’t sure, just that there was less available to rent. (I intend to never be a landlord, even a small-scale one. Who wants to be a ducking landlord?)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fuctifino posted:

Is Nadine the only minister fielding interviews in defence of him now?

e: lol https://twitter.com/Nick_Pettigrew/status/1489919682312384515

https://twitter.com/_lauramiller_/status/1489912383611052036?s=21

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I hate Gervais. The only thing he’s decent in is Muppets Most Wanted, where he stretched his acting abilities to play a prick.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Isomermaid posted:

I've met Jimmy Carr a couple of times and granted I'm just some random woman on the street but you know what? He IS lovely, face to face and nothing like his stage persona which you kind of have to see him "off" to realise isn't him. I don't believe for a minute he seriously thinks it was a good thing the Nazis persecuted the Roma

But. Whether he thinks that or not is irrelevant, as is his personal demeanor. He still thought that that joke, in this climate in particular but at all, really, was good to tell and for that and many more reasons the guy is a prick. He might have been doing a character doing that bit but the character didn't decide to do it, he did.

Anyone coming out and saying "oh but he's a sweetheart really" as if that negates the act of using his platform to put that poo poo into the world is wilfully missing the point and if anything it ought to be a point of reflection that people acting mannered can hide toxic lovely people underneath. Nobody should be defending this

Obviously it’s an extreme example but it’s bit like saying that Hitler loved animals. Coren is getting piled on on Twitter, rightly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Her response was to arch against him as she shuddered violently and gasped while he finished scraping the Whiskas into her bowl.

This made me literally lol

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This Starmer thing isn’t funny. As someone said, the genie is out of the bottle. Johnson’s slur has worked, the tactic of whipping up a mob has worked, and it’ll be used again. Next time it probably won’t be a target that you find so amusing. This unleashed anger and fury is very concerning because I don’t know how one stops it and I suspect that government has no interest in stopping it; probably the reverse. While you’re chuckling away ask how it ends and who the next targets are.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

They already had to arrest a guy for plotting to kill corbyn thanks to the efforts of the same press that is handwringing about it being used against starmer, so I am far past giving a poo poo.

If you're running a society that wants to kill its politicians, that's the fault of the politicians. They're the ones making the society that wants to kill them, so gently caress em, let them reap what they sow for once. If they want to make a better society at any point, they're welcome to.

Yeah, but next time it might not be politicians. It might be refugees, or asylum seekers, or human rights lawyers, etc. This poo poo can’t be controlled once it’s unleashed and the targets are broadly going to be people that we actually care about.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So did you have a relaxing sleep for the last... 35 years or so? Because official government policy for all three of these groups is "gently caress off and die" and has been for as long as I've been aware of politics.

(also "asylum seekers" *are* refugees and it's testament to the power of propaganda you listed them separately despite being on their side)

All asylum seekers are refugees but not all refugees are asylum seekers.

And yes, of course govt policy has been anti all of them, but they are just some potential victims. Mob hatred like we are seeing is not a good thing, regardless of who it is currently directed at. I wouldn’t have thought that was controversial.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is a terrific article about Uber

https://pluralistic.net/2022/02/11/bezzlers-gonna-bezzle/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Question IRL posted:

Since he hasn't been convicted, he's not guilty of anything. He just LOOKS guilty, which is a difference.

I think this headline by the Star is on the right side of the line.

https://twitter.com/dailystar/status/1493723507288588289?s=20&t=mSV-9NfM3gnLWIv80oFv_g

Oof. That headline is savage (in a good way). He hasn’t been convicted so to call him a nonce would be libel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

Quick question:

Is it scabbing to go into the office on strike days for the sole purpose of getting my books on labour law so that I can advise the Committee on something that just came up in a Union meeting? We aren't picketing every day so no literal picket lines, just figurative ones. It really doesn't sit well with me though, even though in practical terms it's strictly beneficial to our action.

I can't see how that's scabbing. You're not working and your actions are to benefit the strikers.

Gonzo McFee posted:

We're in a Veteran crisis. All the WW2 veterans are dying off and the ones from recent wars are all getting middle aged and gross. We need more cute war veterans or my PR team will force me to sit beside a psychotic Troubles Veteran who touches himself through his pockets while talking about murdering the pope.

A soldier who was 25 in Gulf War 1 would be 56 now. Pretty much all WW2 vets are dead.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Payndz posted:

The part of Spain where I lived for a while was, I learned, predominantly a German winter second-home resort because under Franco it was developed as a kind of spa for the Luftwaffe in WW2. (Spain was technically neutral, but when the fascist dictator puts his entire country on Berlin time, which is still in effect to this day despite all the problems being out of sync with the sun causes, you get an idea which side he supported.)

My Spanish is terrible, but I found that the mere act of trying to use it sincerely gets you immediate... well, sympathy, I suppose. But that's better than the contempt given to the bellowing beer-bellied "Three-o curve-ate-saz!" I saw.

My experience is that most people appreciate one trying to use their language. Including the French.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

biglads posted:

This is true. My GF at the time and I lived near Paris for a couple of years and we picked up French pretty well. Like others who had similar experiences said, put a bit of effort in and the local shopkeepers etc. appreciate it and will help you out.

The English love to poo poo-talk the French but whenever I have been in France, which is a fair bit between work and holidays, I don’t think I’ve ever encountered the stereotypical French rudeness. I think it helps if one is polite and tries to speak French. I’ve only ever been met with friendliness in response. (And my French is very limited).

I think what gets foreigners’ backs up, understandably, is tourists just starting with English and expecting that locals will respond accordingly. I suspect that a lot of the English cliches about rude French people is down to the French not responding well to rudeness.

We’ve taught my son a few basic words (merci, Bon jour etc) and they love that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

99% of British (in fact any non-French) complaints about French people are actually about Parisians, and every French person would vehemently agree with them if they actually poo poo-talked Parisians rather than the French as a whole.

Now if you're really gonna poo poo-talk foreigners, start with Amsterdam cafe staff. A glass of lukewarm water is *not* the basis of a good cup of tea, and I *know* you all know this because it's Amsterdam and you probably see more British and Irish people in here than you do Dutch. Even the snootiest Parisian waiter will grudgingly at least supply the ingredients for a cup of tea (although you may have to take their family hostage to do so), cafes in Rotterdam manage it, but every single waiter in Amsterdam gives you the same look of bemusement like you've just asked them to microwave an ice cream or put sugar on a toastie (and yes we're aware of what toasties are, no need to enthusiastically describe them like they're some rare local delicacy).

I assume it's actually some kind of revenge for the fact that every single Anglophone who steps foot in a cafe in Amsterdam makes the same "You sell coffee, so this must be a coffee shop, give me all the weed" joke.

Revenge is a dish served lukewarm.

I’ve been in Paris a fair bit and didn’t even find people there particularly rude.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"Expects to be able to carry out light duties."

Uh huh, sure.

Was in contact with Charles last week. Wonder if he knew he was positive before visiting Mummy?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I have ridden through bits of central London recently (Covent Garden, Fitzrovia etc) and there is a HUGE number of empty shops.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yes. Fox hunting.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mebh posted:

We actually buy our own cheese powder and add that to popcorn. Its loving insane. Way cheaper and less 50/50 chance its going to be utterly vile than buying the suspect bags of pre popped corn snacks from the american candy aisle.

Now poppycock... There's a good snack. Caramel, popcorn, cashews. Only like 1000 calories for a handful!

Fake edit: actually. What i really want from the USA. The ability to buy good tomato salsa that is actually spicy and not 50 percent sugar for a couple dollars for a jar.

That and just a good chimichanga.

Tell me more about this cheese powder.

I haven’t been able to find a good salsa for dipping tortilla chips into. I’ve tried cheap ones, expensive ones… they’re almost all rubbish. Waitrose does a spicy/smoky chipotle one that’s not bad but most of them are crap.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

i'm well aware of what quality food is, thanks.

in the mid-00s there was kind of a revolution in that area in us groceries, same with bread. just about any place i'd been since then has at least a selection of 'premium' cheeses, both from dairy centres in north america as well as imported from abroad. the key distinction is that it's usually held separate from mass market cheeses in the dairy section and usually off on its own. bulk cheese is only good for cooking into things imo, where the distinction of a good cheese would be totally lost.

I heard a cheese monger say that one should actually use good sharp cheese in cooking; as the flavour is so much stronger you need much less (and would probably taste better too). It made sense.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son and I both like popcorn. It’s trivially easy to make it at home. Top tip: use ghee. It gives a delicious buttery flavour and has a high smoke point.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mebh posted:

The kernel seasons stuff is awful. We found this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Cheddar-Ingredient/dp/B07LHCVWGJ in the hunt for something to recreate kraft mac n cheese for the wife. It is... Rather good on popcorn.

Now if you want something genuinely good that you might not have tried... Get some of this. Tajin Seasoning

Oo, that seasoning does sound good

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gonzo McFee posted:

She's an absolute psycho who hates children, the poor and black people. I'm shocked she's not already prime minister.

Home Secretary.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Comrade Fakename posted:

Margaret Atwood seems like a good sort, but is also old, and so doesn't understand the culture war ramifications of some of the stuff she puts her name to. So, she'll be fully on board for trans rights, but when some terf asks her to sign something she misses the obfuscated implications and just agrees "why yes, I do think that authors such as JK Rowling should be allowed to speak their mind," or "of course you should be allowed to say the word 'mother.'"

I think you underestimate her (and make an ageist comment about her too). I reckon she understands this stuff better than most of us.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don't think this excellent statement from the Kenyan ambassador to the UN re Ukraine has been posted here yet. It's worth reading.

https://twitter.com/KenyaMissionUN/status/1495963864004976645?s=20&t=8m1b1iWFaPYXsCCjt2y36w

Also, that Stephen Pollard piece. Jesus. Apart from being woefully ignorant of the policies of the man he is obviously obsessed with, it's so incredibly unfunny. Absolute dreck.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol this is pure posturing, any report is obviously going to say it's a terrible idea to reintroduce a totally unintuitive system of byzantine weights and measures not used by any other country save the US and which the majority of your own citizens don't fully understand. Even the olds I know work in metric now. Who is this for? The same people wanking over maybe being nuked I guess.

E: also I'm pretty sure it is legal for shops to use imperial measurements, they just also have to show metric. What are they suggesting, making metric illegal? Lmao

I’m sure food manufacturers are looking forward to having to redo all their labelling.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Liverpool's £1 houses experiment. To qualify you had to live and work in Liverpool, bring them up to decent standard within 12 months and not sell for 5 years. Over 100 houses were included in the scheme.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/life-liverpools-1-houses-went-23206941

That’s tremendous. I love that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DesperateDan posted:

I get better mpg with premium but not quite enough to make it cheaper overall- I largely buy premium because I tell myself the car runs better with it and it sure does sound/feel like the engine is happier on vpower nitro max super dead dinoboost 2000

That sounds like the latest Power Rangers iteration

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fuctifino posted:

She always has that Philomena Cunk expression.

God, you've nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

should they withhold the jobs from the refugees? its someone you don't like doing a good thing for reasons you don't like I guess.

No, but you shouldn’t be salivating over war profiteering either.