Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Hopefully the war is quick and as bloodless as possible. Its increasingly clear the West and NATO only view Ukraine as a pawn in the most cynical chess game around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Panzeh posted:

That's an interesting kind of opposition. It reminds me of a libertrarian saying 'i'm opposed to poverty, but doing anything about it would be tyranny'

gently caress off with this poo poo. If you want for us to do something more than nothing I'm actively cheering that sleepy joe falls asleep at the wheel and this leads to the dissolution of NATO and the EU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

How are u posted:

Why would you cheer at the dissolution of the EU? That doesn't seem like something good to hope for.

Germany can dictate the politics for Europe without all the grandstanding and added bureaucracy

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Did anyone ever find the diamonds the oligarchs gave Hunter Biden or did he try to smoke them when he mistook them for crack?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Discendo Vox posted:

Why only a sixer for someone using an inflammatory dogwhistle in a thread in the midst of an active invasion against the targets of that dogwhistle?

This is incorrect there is no current active invasion

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
From Webster website Invasion -- an act of invading especially : incursion of an army for conquest or plunder. Crimea is part of Russia now full stop that is not an invasion it has been conquered, granted Donbas is a little more vague but the point still stands. We didn't call it the invasion of Afghanistan in 2019 it was the war. It is the war in Donbas and the theoretical invasion of Ukraine at large.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

HonorableTB posted:

An ongoing occupation counts as an invasion, Crimea's annexation was illegitimate through force of arms and should be considered as such

No it doesn't invasion refers to a very specific in the timeframe of a war. Occupation -- a : the act or process of taking possession of a place or area -- b : the holding and control of an area by a foreign military force -- c : the military force occupying a country or the policies carried out by it.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

Yeah this is dumb I think any charitable reading of someone saying 'active invasion' right now is clearly referring to tanks rolling over the border.

Which hasn't happened yet and is not guaranteed to happen

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

OddObserver posted:

That'd be because they were not actually oppressed. Except maybe in the way that white Christian males are oppressed in the United States.

A state seeking to eliminate your native language seems pretty loving horrible but I eagerly await Eastern Euros explaining how cultural genocide is actually progressive

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, Russia should really stop doing it.
This is whataboutism, please reply earnestly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainization

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Are you suggesting that speaking Russian was outlawed in Donbas, a region where Russian speakers are a minority?

No I'm suggesting Ukraine is pursuing a policy where the ultimate goal would be the elimination of Russian language speakers and culture in Ukraine on a long enough timeframe

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sounds like you're a person who would also condemn Russification of Ukraine. In which case, I wonder if you would be open to consider possible connections between the two.

That is correct and I do but much like any conflict that arises from hastily drawn borders following the breakup of a massive colonial project we're probably looking at some new borders to resolve the conflict.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Some of the most prolific white supremacists in the US are Latino or Pacific Islander white nationalism isn't exactly logical. The Ukrainian nazi narrative at leasts makes more sense that Russians are Asian or whatever.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

It's quite telling that Ukraine gets better scores in surveys for LGBT-friendly policies and legislation than Poland. But they are still miles better than Russia, where any kind of activism for equal rights can and will be taken as propaganda to minors and you end in court. In Ukraine Pride marches are possible, thanks to brave people who know their rights and are not taken back by threats.

LGBT protections are mostly just weaponized idpol at this point and entirely unrepresentative of how a country actually governs Israel comes to mind here.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

Hypothetical missiles that don't actually exist not actually deployed anywhere.

Reminds me a bit of an invasion everyone had been assuring me is imminent any day now for weeks

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Further context - that’s all yesterday apparently.

https://twitter.com/zacharybasu/status/1495119980001640457

Why is the US in a position to accuse or even have intelligence on the ceasefire?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Raenir Salazar posted:

Leftist Youtuber Vaush put up a video yesterday assessing recent updates regarding the conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qABLpdt6f2o

I like the way he goes into it open minded and just looking at the facts and various sources and clearly comes away convinced of the reality of the facts. I think if anyone is looking for a leftist commentary of the situation but don't want knee jerk anti-imperialist commentary that's just "US bad" Vaush is pretty good to go to for updates and live commentary.

Vaush is not a leftist but he is a pedophile though. If you're looking for an actual leftist youtuber take here is a great Hasan video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LStCD3Mntrw

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not addressing the bullshit part of your post but Vaush responds to Hasan's (and Kyle Kulinski's) bad Russia takes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj_yLpBJW8A

Politics aside Vaush is a pedophile stop platforming pedophiles TIA.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GodEmpanada/status/1476733086217949186

https://mobile.twitter.com/vaushv/status/1209941122325172224?lang=en

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s okay to post what YouTubers have to say about the thread topic, if they’re reasonably qualified. It’s not okay to discuss their careers or personalities beyond what is relevant to the thread topic.

I think its relevant to point out if someone is a pedophile and uninformed people start watching a pedophile but your mileage may vary

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I suggest opening a thread in QCS about this.

Not sure how to respond to this other than U mad? I'll happily eat a probe to point out that someone is platforming a pedophile after receipts have been posted. I understand this is derailing the thread but you making flippant posts like this is doing the same thing

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Somaen posted:

I'm not a military guy but I'm pretty sure huge invasions don't happen spontaneously being lead by a heroic protagonist to charge especially in a highly vertical authoritarian structure. I'm willing to believe that because so far the US intelligence has shown that their sigint was good, e.g. the chlorine false flag

Did you ignore the part where they've said that the invasion is going to happen tomorrow for litterally weeks and it hasn't happened yet? Dont let the CIA gaslight you

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

If they aren't planning on invading, why have they positioned such a substantial portion of their military surrounding Ukraine? What benefit does that have for Russia?

Posturing, if they wanted to invade why haven't they?

Discendo Vox posted:

If this is the case, I'm sure you can provide this evidence of the CIA saying the invasion is going to happen tomorrow for literal weeks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rus...ih=718&dpr=2.63

Sorry professor, replace CIA with unnamed NATO source.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I very much wish the 'no way putin would be stupid enough to do that' folks were right

:smith:

Do what specifically haven't the little green men been in Donbas for over half a decade? They've said they dont plan to take the entire Oblast, I don't see how this is a massive departure from the status quo other than to formalize it. If you have a hostile foreign power occupying territory for 6 years its probably not your territory any more.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Minenfeld! posted:

Well now this wasn't something I was expecting. Russia troops over the border into Donbas? Sure. But this?

Some one in the Israeli government must have gotten the reports on Russias plan to genocide a bunch of people in the occupied territories and got excited.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

ZombieLenin posted:

I don’t believe in any gods as I am a card carrying Marxist, but right this second assuming what is about to happen actually does, I hope there are gods and they go with the Ukrainian people and armed service.

Every loving human death is a tragedy, but I hope the Ukrainians make the Russians pay for every inch.

What org I wanna make sure I blacklist them.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

NomChompsky posted:

It has, quite literally, been this way forever. American leftists, particularly in the educated professional class, form every single global affairs position by starting from "The west is bad and evil" and work their way backward from that, rather than taking into consideration almost anything else. I have lost an absolutely astounding amount of respect for people in my personal social circles over the last few days simply because of this. It's disheartening as hell to watch while Ukrainians fight and die for rights and liberties these people have had and take for granted their whole lives, while listening to them spout the disinformation peddled by their murderers with no irony whatsoever.

The american army is carrying exponentially more bodies than any other army on the planet and you morons are cheer leading the current war lmao

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

Two wrongs do not a Russian justification for invading Ukraine make.

Putin is an evil bastard.

quarantinethepast posted:

Who gives a gently caress about America, this is between Russia and the Ukrainian people. gently caress the whataboutism, gently caress excusing every crime under the premise of "but America".

The fact of the matter is were living in the American world order I wish my countries opinion didnt matter and had no power to affect change in the situation. If some random council member in NYC take matters thats bad

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Iron cross in the twitter :thunk:

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

ummel posted:

Edit- Duh, report button. Counter tweet.
https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1506269370179366928

About the source from Wikipedia

Edit- God awful snipe, drat it. Here's a map.

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1506274657812553737

Why do they put them in blackface?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Convictions, ideology, and a coherent world view

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

socialsecurity posted:

What is "Cursed Bloody Horde rhetoric"?

While I've never heard of this cursed bloody horde but using the power of context I'm able to ascertain that its probably the virulent and very prevalent Russian racism in main stream discourse. I find it pretty hard to believe if you've been following the war for more than a week you haven't seen Russians refered to as orcs or Mongols hence the horde, HtH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

DancingMachine posted:

Lately I am increasingly preoccupied with this as not a proxy war between US/Nato and Russia, but as a proxy war between the forces of Democracy and the rule of law and Autocracy.
In theory, NATO and the EU are (or should be) instruments of democracy. But there are major cracks in that foundation with Hungary being a democracy in name only, and Poland and of course the US rapidly backsliding away from democracy. Russia has been extremely successful poisoning norms of democracy from within. Over the last 20 years, Russia (and fairly recently China) have been winning the war to weaken and supplant democracy all across the globe. An unequivocal victory of a smaller democratic nation over Russia, and subsequent weakening or outright fracturing of the Russian regime is an opportunity to reverse that trend globally.

The USA's closest allies over the last 20 years have been Israel and KSA, lmao