Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

knox_harrington posted:

Not that it's necessarily related but this attack has excellent TTPs

What are TTPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Icon Of Sin posted:

Tactics, techniques, procedures. Army shorthand for all the things that go into a successful assault (in infantry context).

knox_harrington posted:

Sorry: Tactics, Techniques and Procedures. The infantry rapidly dismount and form a baseline directed towards the enemy so they are difficult to hit and can get a weight of fire down if needed. Everything is pretty slick.

Thank you both!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it’s great if Russia has a hard time sustaining more offensives since then maybe fewer people die for no loving reason, but I have a question: what does it mean when a military analyst refers to “endemic personnel and equipment constraints”? That it’s hard for anyone to support soldiers and vehicles operating in Ukraine? (That doesn’t seem to be correct, but I don’t know what else it could mean.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Deteriorata posted:

It means they have shortages of trained soldiers and useful equipment throughout the Russian armed forces. "Endemic" means it is present everywhere, not in isolated places.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cimber posted:

Putin must be loving this.
a) They get to 'make gains'.
b) The wagner group gets depleted and isn't a threat to his regime any more.

Why would Wagner do this, though? Do they not know it’s a bad idea? 12th dimensional Russian power chess?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cimber posted:

Well, I don't think they knew this going into the fight a few months back. I suspect they thought they would be the glorious tip of the spear and would gain lots of power and prestege. IIRC they actually did fairly well at first, then their boss starte talking smack and I suspect Putin said "ut oh, we better but the boot on these guys. Last thing I want is them getting to big for their britches and being the armed force that is lead by my friends to depose me and put a friend in my place"

I thought Wagner had enough autonomy to say “no thanks” to an assault like this now, but maybe they’re committed to…smashing themselves against Azol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So is “hit by a Russian aircraft” really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So they claim!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OS/2 was the operating system of choice for many ABM manufacturers for quite a while.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

psydude posted:

Much like local micro breweries, though, small scale distilling falls victim to the American alcohol distribution system and it's many failings. The result is a more homogenized global market, despite ample variety at the local and hyper-local level.

Getting unusual bourbon outside the US is a very challenging task. :smith:

LightRailTycoon posted:

Blocked sewers are getting serious

You should have seen the Mark-2!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crini posted:

“You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.”

And sometimes you go to war with the army you had a much earlier time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Timbs posted:

I graduated college well over a decade ago and I just had a “forgot to go to a class all semester” dream a few weeks ago.

They’re a cultural phenomenon. I had a dream like that about a month ago too, and I never attended college. Just absorbed that nightmare form from the media or something. loving brains.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jesus Christ

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hopper posted:

Yeah but those convicted people aren't they?

No, just arrested.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Could have amounted to an act of war” it says. I feel like firing at a plane with intent to kill it pretty much is an act of war even if your equipment fails, but I’m not a war lawyer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bell_ posted:

On one hand, this is definitely true. C.P. Ellis was a Klansman fighting desegregation in the early 70s, but Civil Rights activist Ann Atwater helped pull his head out of his rear end.

On the other, this was over 50 years ago, and that man had an 8th grade education that I'm sure was published entirely by UDC.

But Massachusetts? In 2023? What the gently caress?

People don’t really grow up in their physical neighbourhood these days in terms of politics as much as they grow up in the internet neighbourhood that first captures them, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fearless posted:

Not to mention that it's likely to be infested with billionaires that fled the cataclysm and have shelters dotting the islands and no doubt expect to continue to live a life of privilege and excess in whatever remains.

Great marbling, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Computer viking posted:

Speaking of Russian opposition, here's an interesting enough news article. It's from Aftenposten, a centrist and mostly boring-in-the-good-way Norwegian newspaper, who still have people in Russia.

Source (paywalled; Norwegian)

This was a great read, thank you. The finale with the cops expressing disagreement was a great twist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just want an example from anytime in history that cost savings didn't mean gutting core services

Peace dividend!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blistex posted:

<Russia captures a brand new 2023 Patriot battery>
<Spends 2 years cannibalizing Samsung appliances and PS4s for components>
<Spends another 4 years developing first prototype at a cost of 200 billion Rubles>
<Is actually an S-300 with a body kit that they staff with dwarfs and children in Russian uniforms and keep Putin at least 200m away from>

I think the worry would more be the battalion of Chinese forensic engineers who would descend on the device as soon as it entered Russian hands.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I was in Beijing on a work trip a local fan club of our product wanted to meet up…at Sizzler. It had a pretty acceptable wine list, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is loving incredible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Handsome Ralph posted:

You can't bring up the Roberts without posting the screwdriver pic.

I really want to hear that story.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flyinglemur posted:

Well you can read about it right here!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Samuel_B._Roberts_(FFG-58)

The word “screwdriver” does not appear on that page!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Real-time decryption of a 256-bit encryption system is a little surprising to me!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I thought it might have been Super Special Encryption, but don’t they have to interoperate with other makers? Key material getting compromised seems like the most likely thing but then talking about real-time decryption is weird since they’re just listening like all the other participants!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Antigravitas posted:

But that doesn't actually mean anything. The interesting properties of a crypto system are basically anything but its "bitness".

Yeah I was assuming a modern stream cipher with traditional key sizing. Key width matters for brute forcing (or assisted brute forcing via weakening attacks on the cipher that reduce the effective key size), but that’s not the only way to defeat a crypto system obviously.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I was going to ask if anyone had suggestions for an overview of how key management works for these sorts of systems.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m honestly a little impressed that it didn’t go off behind Russian lines.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, and I think from that list, only Canada might have its poo poo together enough to ride out the hellish societal effects of having your food, water and air poisoned simultaneously.

I wouldn’t bet on it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chunky Monkey posted:

It's amazing to see how easily he's fit into this role, like I know he's an actor and all but I remember it being a huge joke when he was elected that Ukraine voted out Willy Wonka and voted in Adam Sandler.

I strongly suspect that it hasn’t been easy at all, and has utterly consumed him beyond the limits of most leaders.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Hire great people and get out of their way” is a terrible way to build an organization, IMO, but giving people agency and authority commensurate to their abilities, and (importantly) their alignment with the mission, is critical.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

every military-aged person in Poland just entered a state of sudden sexual arousal and they don’t know why

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t know anything about anything military, but in the situation in Syria with Wagner, if I were the US forces, I would not want to leave any room for the surviving attackers to think “hmm, maybe if we had a few more RPGs, or attacked them from the side, we could pull it off”. I would want to make it clear that there was absolutely no circumstance under which they would survive attacking US troops.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

waydownLo posted:

Someone has to survive to tell the rest what happened to them

that’s what forensic teams are for

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Message sent, message received.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grand Fromage posted:

Sometimes you think you understand the world and then something as shocking as this happens. Truly, life is unpredictable.

If you have led a failed coup with your private army against a dictator known for assassinating troublesome people, today is a good day to hug your loved ones.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Automatic Retard posted:

That’ll do, Prig, that’ll do.

Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slashrat posted:

I'd be surprised if the commission they are foregoing haven't ended up on the books as tax write-offs instead.

Maybe the Ukrainian tax code is especially weird, but I don’t know how that would be possible. Is there any jurisdiction in the world where you can write off “our prices could have been higher” against income? How do you see that working?

(Not that Amazon pays taxes anyway, really.)