Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For those who might be unaware, this was not just some isolate incident that happened and was included in the movie. This was basically Soviet policy for all of Stalingrad and most of the war.
No it wasn't. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_No._227

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

plan to turn all the nation's contaminated dairy into cheese and store it until it decays to levels safe to eat
what

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

Pro flying by the Ukrainian drone operator, knew to not attack from below but drop from above to break the other drones props.

Why would you post this? Pro flying by the operator, knowing the single most basic fact about drones.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

psydude posted:

Nationalization of key industries, strengthening of social programs (for the "right kind" of people), and autarky are all key features of fascism's economic model. So basically the exact opposite of Reagan's campaign of privatization, globalization, and destruction of social programs.

I'm an expert neither in economics nor fascism, but at least Wikipedia claims fascism in Nazi Germany involved more privatizations than nationalizations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nazi_Germany#Privatization_and_business_ties

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
That's not nationalization by any means. At least in Germany the industrial profits remained private, and the economic control of the state wasn't particularly strong in practice.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Not the best Marine recruitment slogan I've ever heard, but

this nation used to build railroads

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Murgos posted:

Eh, I’m not going to get freaked out by every dumbshit 20 year old with a patch.

You should rather worry about their commanders who allow this poo poo to go on.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

psydude posted:

Is it similar to the US classification, which basically gives the military and the CIA carte blanche to hunt them down?

No, since EU is not the current hegemon it at least pretends to care about international law and human rights.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

You've also got notes for Imperial Russia, and Russia under Stalin, both of which are applicable to the current situation. Unfortunately, the notes on Cold War Russia probably aren't applicable any more.
The first set of notes involved quietly aligning with Imperial Germany, and the second one with Nazi Germany, so they might not be all that desirable right now.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Russia's opening move was an attempt to sack Kyiv so I'm not really sure I understand the suggestion that Ukraine shouldn't pursue targets within Russia. Russia already set that bar for escalation on Day 1.
Barring a few clear military targets near the border, Ukraine shouldn't pursue targets within Russia if they want to keep receiving military aid from the EU and US.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Ukraine has been pursuing targets within Russia from the very start, and it has had no impact on military aid from the EU and US. Facts do not support your thesis.
Pursuing targets that aren't militarily relevant targets near the border like the fuel depot or the Kerch bridge for example?

If Ukrainian infantry starts crossing the border in any significant capacity, or if Ukraine starts lobbing missiles or artillery fire across the border and even accidentally hits civilian targets, they'll find that the popular support in western countries for supporting their war effort will wane real quick, and western governments will not act against public opinion.

It's vital for Ukraine to remain the good guys in the eyes of the western voters.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Please explain why fuel depots and kerch bridge arent militarily relevant
I meant them as examples of targets that are.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I know SA frowns on fringe science, but after looking into a related topic (remote viewing) for quite a while to see if it's legit & then simply trying it myself, apparently there's something to it.
source you're quotes

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

papasyhotcakes posted:

This is it! Thank you so much! A shame that the author died before finishing it 😢 but at least I can read the first two parts.
The writing is really terrible but the OORAH gently caress YOU SATAN element is somewhat intriguing, thanks for reading my review.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
All that trouble just to get to the Spear of Destiny before the Russians

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Though at a certain point it does seem a bit pointless to optics-police the state which has been invaded and is actively having their children stolen and culture suppressed in the occupied areas.
No, it makes it all the more important. Ukraine will not win the war without outside support, and the EU/US support will wane real fast if the popular opinion in the west turns against Ukrainians due to them turning a blind eye to their troops sporting Nazi insignia and committing occasional war crimes. Anyone who wants Ukraine to succeed should also want the Ukranian leadership to take this seriously. It's not about fairness, it's about the political reality.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Luxembourg has a total of approx. 1000 active military personnel. And they still out here trying to find any way they can to pitch in
Plucky little Luxembourg also has the third largest GDP per capita in the world, which is perhaps the more significant figure here.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwZbMBSH0wF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Teaching aikido as a serious no poo poo martial art is gonna get a ton of Russians killed. Zelensky should give Seagal a medal.
Traditional aikido teaches deconfliction and retreat as the primary approaches to a fight so it's more likely to save Russian lives.

OTOH this is Seagal we're talking about so

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

zone posted:

Mr Magoo joining the CIA would be hilarious as something akin to a The Inspector (the one from the Pink Panther cartoon) live action series.
:thunk:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Clouseau

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

RoyKeen posted:

I just want to add that I certainly don't enjoy "bloodlust" or seeing people graphically killed but

Why do people keep doing this

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

Would it though?

Of course it wouldn't. MAD scenarios are based on the mutual part. If losing a carrier automatically triggers a nuclear exchange, then using them will too.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Maybe he didn't realize that Russia is one of the few countries that actually measures things like engine performance in metric units?
What. Which units do you think most countries use for this?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

I don't think this is the thread to be worrying about the health of russians living in houses stolen from Ukrainians.
I think the people currently living in Sevastopol are largely the same people who were living there pre-2014.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Neonazis clearing snow I consider harmless, but them "helping" the police or doing radio broadcasts seems problematic

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Computer viking posted:

And another one about the horrors of Auswich, IIRC, so it's a mixed bag.

Generally, their project seems to be "war has always sucked, especially when you're just a random guy in the army".
Sabaton is all about fetishizing war and "heroism".

And also

quote:

The band performed at a show organized by Putin loyalist motorcycle club Night Wolves in Russian occupied Crimea in 2015, and bassist Sundström stated in an interview with Sweden Rock Magazine in 2016 that Crimea had previously been occupied by Ukraine.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

mountain people
hmm yes very good point

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

psydude posted:

Putin barely managed to contain a half assed coup attempt last weekend. What's he going to do when NATO completely destroys the Russian armed forces within 2 weeks?
This is incredibly delusional and you should think before you post.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

the Ukrainians are the ones who get to decide what cost they'll bear to liberate their country, not anyone else.
This is a very naive view, a caricature almost. Ukrainians aren't a unitary hivemind. Ukrainians don't get to decide this, their leadership does. The people who make the decisions and the people who die as the result are not the same people. The democratical institutions in Ukraine are partly suspended because of the war, so they can't even kick out their current leadership if they're unhappy about it. It absolutely is morally the right thing for Ukraine's allies to say no to any bad ideas they might have.

Herman Merman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 7, 2023

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
poo poo, the first edit/quote mishap I've had in over a decade of posting

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

Doesn't the actual nuclear material degrade as well, also giving a smaller yield?
Tritium is actual nuclear material, fueling the fusion reaction between the two fission stages together with deuterium.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

CainFortea posted:

There is no food with an umlaut that isn't good. :colbert:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

The quintessential navy experience used to be rum, sodomy and lash but now the rum's been replaced with "dying trying to clean out a bilge"

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I think it's presumably to keep up the illusion of the LPR and DPR being independent states
This interpretation makes no sense after Russia declared LPR and DPR its federal subjects a while ago. They now consider them parts of the Russian Federation.

e: Maybe they mean what he was supposedly doing before the war.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

McNally posted:

Hightower's first name was Moses WHY DO I KNOW THIS

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Hajotus Maximus posted:

How did a sergeant get to make any kind of decisions? Let alone with live mortar ammunition?
Anybody can get to make decisions like that if they're quick enough, it's called taking the initiative :rolleye:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

Ah that explains the disgusting "wash away" cleansing language

:ssh: the shame they're supposed to wash away by dying in the SMO is the shame of participating in an antisemitic riot and damaging the airport

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

The only European country where I've never left a table hungry.
I can't tell if this is a "I've got the palate of a child and won't eat strange foreign foods" or a "these portions cannot have more than 2000 kcal in them, how am I supposed to survive until dinner?"

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Phrenology but the head lumps are from police truncheons.
That's probably just standard 19th century phrenology tbh

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Waterline CIWS that fires toy sized torpedo rounds

The best way to destroy a torpedo is a smaller torpedo that blows up underneath it and breaks its keel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
:thermidor: