Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We've already seen the power of surprise in the invasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
A lot of people are also incredibly naive when it comes to dealing with authority figures, regardless of age or background. The logic overriding trust of people with authority is so deep that I think it's pretty fair to say that "tricking the new person into making a fool of themselves" is an almost universal human experience because of how easy it is to do

Now apply that trust to something obscure that the average person knows literally nothing about, with the authority of a government agency you constantly see lawyer ads about the dangers of, and "The Government is sternly telling you to settle your special kind of debt from the new tax law in this special way. You don't really understand it, better follow the IRS agent's instructions carefully, or else you might owe even more money later." is probably the scammer's ideal mindset for a victim

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

psydude posted:

During Operation Overlord, the Allies dropped dummies that had poppers on them to confuse the Germans. No idea how effective it was.

The way I've heard it, the dummies were supposedly more effective because the drops were such a poo poo show. Real paratroopers were falling all over the countryside and those real paratroopers were the cause of real, sporadic gunfire all over the place, and that made the dummies seem perfectly believable in the dark

It makes sense to me, but like so much D Day stuff, it feels like there's a dozen layers of myth surrounding the mundane answer, so all I know for certain is that they were dropped and did confuse some German infantry at some point between falling from the plane and the sun rising

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Cimber posted:

Don't forget the dummies were dropped not in Normandy, but in Calais as part of the Fortitude ruse, so two hundred miles from the landing zones and beaches.

I know they did stuff with the fake sea landings, but I thought the last part of Titanic was to draw troops away from real 101st operations

Just Another Lurker posted:

It was in the movie The Longest Day with John Wayne so it has to be real. :colbert:

For all I know, that could be where I heard it, I loving loved John Wayne movies as a kid

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

That's why Wagner is in Belarus! Russia is still winning this game of 5D Candyland

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I feel like a lot of really bad things are really easy if you're bold enough. Full sized, fully loaded tanks of oxygen and acetylene can be acquired for a few hundred bucks if you have a vehicle with something resembling an enclosure for them

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Fearless posted:

My brother is a journeyman welder and has been in the field for about 20 years. He has some terrifying hazmat and safety stories from welding shop oopsies, like someone bleeding nearly empty tanks inside the shop while another equally illiterate someone started grinding nearby, or being assigned to cut up scrap diesel fuel lines with a torch that he had been assured up and down were drained but were not, or man vs. milling machine, man vs. dragline cable and on it goes. When folks say that safety regulations are written in blood, they ain't kidding.

Shop work is really dangerous if you think about it for too long, but honestly some of the most dangerous things are buffers, belts, wire wheels, and grinders. We get so comfortable around them, it's easy to forget that they're spinning death machines that crave human blood and can spontaneously become shrapnel if you're unlucky

However safe I personally feel when working with an OA torch, it is amazing how dangerous the stuff actually is. A lot of modern acetylene regulators have a special flashback valve and a limiter at 15 PSI, because at about 16 PSI, it's enough pressure to auto-ignite and send flames back into the tank. Same if the tank isn't stood upright, liquid acetone can flow down the line, making the gas in those hoses very unstable and will also detonate. Or you could dent the tank and the gas collecting at the crack in the porous stone that acetylene permeates slowly turns the tank into an actual bomb. A lot of insurance companies offer big discounts for switching over to something stable, like MAP gas, because people will try to blow themselves up with a strange regularity, they don't need a comically unstable gas to make it any easier

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Incendiary explosives are supposed to be a part of American aid packages, right?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

If you can't see the bridge, you can't tell if it's destroyed, bing bong so simple.

Also, the smoke gives them a chance to reposition the bridge. Just wait until they move it away from the mainland, the Ukrainians wouldn't dare attack it then

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Action-Bastard posted:

There's some maligned leftist shitheels that call for peace and take any opportunity to point out any perceived "escalation of violence" Ukraine does, completely ignorant or dissonant of the abhorrent poo poo Russias been doing since day 1.

Then of course there's the typical tankies and contrarians.

Before day one. How many peace treaties with Ukraine has the Russian Federation broken, like 6 or 7, right?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Oh god, the Reformers are going to be proven right if we can get the drones to convincingly mimic birds to radar systems

Science has gone too far

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Nessus posted:

We got Twitter instead.

gently caress waiting for you to get more dystopia on your own, X gonna deliver to ya

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

No vets to pass along good tips anymore.

For it to be so rare across the board, I'd assume some of it is top down. Cope Cages were so heavily mocked for their silly look and complete inability to protect against the weapons systems they intended to counter, that I'd bet that multiple people who benefit from the perceived toughness of Russian tanks pushed to keep them off of vehicles that could be photographed and sent to Oryx

I do rather like the idea of a tank with a hemisphere of chain link around it, mobile jungle gym of death to face the unique threats of the modern age

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I really hope the F16 can keep its flawless record

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

It doesnt have one lol

I know they've been shot down, but aren't they something obnoxious like 70-0 in air to air combat?

They aren't "peerless air superiority fighters" or whatever propaganda wank, but they're solid weapons platforms that have enjoyed a very successful service life

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

I don't know enough to answer that, but wasn't part of the point of the Mid Life Upgrade program to provide compatibility with the latest weapon systems?

It's got to be better than whatever magical kludge they used to get a stormshadow to talk to a Soviet computer from the early 80's

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

What are good, non-twitter, resources to stay up to date on military developments? After months and months and months of hearing "the Russian ____ has collapsed and the front can't hold much longer", I need better sources

Russia still has some friends, weapons, and troops; and no matter how weak the Ruble is, they haven't had anything close to a Turnip Winter. Even if they are constantly loving up and don't appear to have a chance for anything that looks like their stated victory conditions, it seems like they're dug in like a tick from hell and I want a more realistic picture of the situation

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Jerk the helicopter suddenly, turn to shoot the flight engineer dead, and then kill the stunned co-pilot while he tries to not crash. Crew's dead, level out and fly back to base

That's how James Bond would do it :radcat:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's to get activist investors to view them more favorably. They'd do the same for Russia if public opinion was reversed

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

E: too late

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's the oldest trick in the book to play on poorly trained, poorly lead, and overall disorganized troops. Shoot one or two guys from a well concealed position, let more enemies try recovering the injured/dead, shoot them, wait for more people to filter in; rinse and repeat as needed

I know video games aren't real life, but play any "realistic" combat game and you can have the pleasure of watching this phenomenon yourself. An entire team will sometimes take up positions on top of the corpses of their teammates in an attempt to kill whatever had killed their teammates, without realizing that they're now becoming ducks in a shooting gallery

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

spankmeister posted:

I remember that. Dude seemed like a bit of an idiot tbhq. I remember him wanting to live there and there was a LOT of work to be done and he was always talking about his constrained budget. Then one of the very first things he did was install a super expensive home theater set lol

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Realistically, all of the battles of the colonization of the "New World", including American westward expansion, were already decided the second that small pox had hopped from one indigenous person to the next

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Also, fun bit of trivia, the colonization destroyed so much native culture that something as simple and ubiquitous as the macuahuitl war clubs were wiped off the face of the earth. There are no original copies left in existence, and the thought of what else was erased makes me very, very sad

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Maybe sandbags are too heavy for the wings

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Stravag posted:

Maybe they're hoping the rubber from the tires will be like one of those amusement park games and will bounce the grenade off the bomber? You have to get it perfectly in the hole

Lawn dart bombs

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

They never did quite master the soft factors, did they?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

NATO/CSTO joint exercises when?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

No Russias Allowed Club

"But you guys let Kaliningrad in!"
"It's the No Russias Allowed Club, we're allowed to have one."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

E

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 7, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

With the rasputitsa coming up, hooved logistics make as much sense as any other means of supply.

If we're looking at going back to hooved logistics I'd recommend bactrian camels if there's a choice. They were native to Crimea, they eat inedible plants, can hold up to pretty intense weather, can carry more than equines, can handle harsher terrain, can go days without food or water, and are still in active military use for those qualities. Sure, they're not as social and don't go as fast, but when your defensive military starts to move at the speed of hooves pulling towed guns, a ~1km/h slower probably won't be a war deciding factor. Maybe Russia could buy some from India or one of the other central Asian steppe nations where they are just domestic livestock

The other benefit of animals as logistics is that when the food trucks can't reach you, you know that you have several hundred pounds of edible meat that can be eaten in an emergency

CommieGIR posted:

Geeee....where have we seen this before....

Oh, nowhere...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyZK8k4gzyg

Or Ssgt Reckless

Antigravitas posted:

I'm surprised they are using horses instead of mules like everyone else.

Riding horses don't rust when left in a field for generations, can't be stripped for copper or advanced electronics, and probably can't be easily pawned to locals the way draft horses, donkeys, and mules could be. Perfect for current Russian field sensibilities

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Indian BSF still has active camel cav

On top of those clearly intended for the deserts and the ones in the ceremonial band, they also have been seen in woodland camo barding that secures crew served weapons, so they likely have camel troops for other regions that don't get the same publicity

E: to be clear, there's nothing wrong with using a beast of burden when machines are impractical due to terrain, weather, logistics, etc. But using animals when you're in the same fortified position for months that's <50 miles away on the mostly flat and solid steppe from some of the largest railheads in Ukraine; there's issues that need to be addressed

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 7, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

"recovering a stuck Russian tank"

That tank has a white cross on it, it's Ukrainian. This channel keeps getting recommended by goons, so take it as a caution about the quality of his fact-checking.

I occasionally watch their updates, and completely ignoring the content of this recent video, one image really sticks in my head above any other claim because it's not acknowledged. We all hear that Russian recruiting standards for military service basically don't exist anymore, but it's a little crazy that we can be shown potbellied uncle Stanislav and be expected to take it as read that he is actually a front line combat marine of the 810th Guards Naval Infantry that was deployed on an offensive operation

I know that the service ages you quick and it's not exactly a flattering image, but the current CJCS looks more fit for combat duty and he's so old that I'm not sure how he hasn't been forced to retire

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he is 100% who he is claimed to be, but it is honestly hard to grapple with the idea that the manpower situation could be bad enough to send this guy on the ground to re-take an objective

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I hear the old and the fat; when you need boots filled, you fill some boots

But both that old and that fat at the same time? Really?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

A Kilo? That's a heavy loss.

That's a common misconception, a Kilo is a massive loss

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Take that poo poo to the War Thunder forums

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

I meant, if we were the defending country and an American influencer happened upon a Patriot Battery they would absolutely do a TikTok dance in front of it

No, it would be all over Nextdoor that Ashleigh's kids are inconsolable because the army decided to set up by the baseball diamonds and won't let children play underneath the missiles

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, I think pulling out of the grain deal and harassing shipping was a great success

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

They cannot even defend the naval base they annexed Crimea for.

I never said that Russia was a beneficiary of the successes in the Black Sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Common misconception. Any ship can sink, subs are supposed to come back up again afterwards.

That's about as up as ships get