Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
What's the deal with Azov? They have good PR or are they as capable as the reporting seems to indicate? Seems that they are punching above what their numbers would to indicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'd have thought the main Russian priority with tanks wouldn't be manufacturing new ones but instead getting their existing inventory where it can be useful and repairing those already in place. It's not like WWII where they need to produce tens of thousands of modern tanks and a production disruption could be crippling, I'd assume even if they were making new ones it would probably be at least a month from the start of manufacturing to getting it shipped to Ukraine, probably more.

Building a new tank is going to take up many more man-hours and resources than repairing an older one sitting in a depot, but the two are probably not overlapping much. The people in the factory are probably not able to get old tanks running and the mechanics scraping together T-72s whose engines still turn over probably can't build new ones. If Russia still has the resources to do both then it probably makes sense to do both. The problem is that there's no evidence to suggest that the new tanks will be any more effective than the older ones, since they're mostly being engaged by ATGMs, which seems to easily take out anything with treads.

Then again their tank factories are able to churn out low double-digit units per year, and probably fewer given the lack of parts and potentially tools

Fielding newer tanks though might be detrimental to Russia's logistics since their introduction means they now need people and equipment that are trained/suited for them, adding more strain to their supply lines.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TCD posted:

I'm seeing very few cages in twitter feeds, so I think most of the tanks that had them have already been destroyed (or are in use and not getting footage of them)

I saw a compilation photo with a turret that had been launched with its cope cage on the ground several feet away. I imagine crudely welded angle iron doesn't stay attached after the first turret bounce.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FrozenVent posted:

Holy poo poo they shot down a MALE?

Check your ROE privileges.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lake of Methane posted:

I learned recently that ~50% of the nuclear fuel for US reactors generating electricity on the grid comes from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan (recall Rosatom and Uranium One).

The industry has already asked the US to not put sanctions on fuel.

Elliott Lake's mayor just got a hard-on.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Blind Rasputin posted:

I wondered when this all came out if one of the neptunes had struck that large stack of anti-aircraft carrier missiles all lined up and caused them to detonate. Looks like it might’ve just happened that way. Maybe leaving massive missiles in tubes right out in the deck looks intimidating but isn’t so great safety wise?

People were saying that Ukraine couldn't have sunk that with only two missiles because they only had "X" amount of HE per warhead. A ship like that could have been sunk with a single stray rifle round for the reason you just mentioned.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You'd think if there's one situation when you'd want to turn on everything you had, it'd be if all your foreign reserves were seized and had crippling sanctions placed on you.

It might also be a good time to not start a cyber war and find out how many dirty tricks the US has in store for you.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

How do you polish brass to unusable?

It might be hyperbole, but in theory you could wear threads or valves to the point where they're no longer water tight?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

More than one thing can be made at the same time.

The original question was "have other countries targeted children with booby traps?". And unfortunately the US created a similar situation through a series of poor decisions. The intent makes a difference, but results are results.

In no way is this an excuse for the Russian actions, since that apparently has to be repeated.

How loving stupid are you?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I've yet to meet another person who has seen Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.

https://youtu.be/W7WTAP5b9xw

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

my kinda ape posted:

Simply have a submarine torpedo the bridge.

Would a sub even carry enough torpedoes to knock it down? Torpedoes vs reinforced concrete?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

No one wants a Rafale anyhow.

Speak for yourself. :colbert:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

honda whisperer posted:

I think / am guessing it's a mix of so long as they post there its contained plus if they gently caress with it they're getting doxxed.

It's not great but if someone asked me to be an unpaid cspam cop I'd laugh in their face.

Don't they also far outspend the rest of the forums (red text and re-regs)?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kchama posted:

Look, they put numbers on the crosses so those don't count as unmarked graves and are probably all soldiers who died in battle or warcrime murdered by Ukrainians SO A MILLION TIMES WORSE THAN ANYTHING RUSIA HAS DONE WHY DO YOU CARE?!

Actual things I've seen said about it.

This wouldn't have happened if Ukraine didn't use unarmed child soldiers. Also, the fact that they keep using these legitimate combatants and stationing them in schools, hospitals, orphanages, and even under beds shows how monstrous the really are.

And before you start saying that they are just normal kids, look up the Hunter Biden iCloud leak and search for references to "biolabs". Dude even had a dvd rip of Captain America on his drive. . . PUT IT TOGETHER SHEEPLE!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1575108090327867393?t=tnEBMatE85B_G8Ovv6VZjg&s=19

I would have thought this already would have been a pretty good idea months ago

People are stupid and have to be told the most obvious/common sense poo poo that a toddler would figure out.

Look at the two Canadian Michaels who were still in China after news that a CCP billionaire princess was arrested.

When poo poo gets even 10x worse for Russia, and anyone speaking English is getting lynched by mobs in the street, western morons will still be lining up to go to Russia.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I have to solely focus on my eternal crush on late-90s Rachel Weisz during that scene because the realist in me can only think about how they both likely ended up with horrific UTIs after bumping uglies after weeks of combat in Stalingrad with dubious access to bathing.

I remember people saying that scene was very improbable considering the close proximity to others, but from what I have heard snipers are pros at silently penetrating difficult terrain.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

"ABF comrades.

A, always.
B, be.
F, fragging.

Always be fragging. ALWAYS BE FRAGGING!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CommieGIR posted:

Bunch of Russian allies are closing their embassies and telling people to leave Ukraine.

Russia gonna try again?

Russia is probably trying to convince Ukraine that they're going to attempt another "thunder run" from the north in hopes Ukraine pulls a bunch of troops from the south and halts their offensives.

If they were dumb enough to attempt this, Western intelligence would likely be able to give them at least a month's notice.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fearless posted:

Very much so. I worked with some Japanese ESL students around when Pearl Harbor came out and I remember them being utterly devastated after seeing it-- not because the movie was bad (it was) but they could not imagine Japan just ambushing the US like that.

Students in China that I taught thought that the Japanese surrender was because China had defeated them a million times to the point where the US was able to sucker punch them with nukes. There was no mention of anything from Pearl Harbor to the day before Hiroshima. Just Nanking -> China has them on the ropes. . . and by "China" they mean Mao, as the contributions of the KMT have essentially been downgraded to, "sort of allies with Japan".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Now, now, let's not be supercritical of them, this could still fizzle out.

Rad puns.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Is this a reference to the effect wax has on the digestive system?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Screenshot from South Park. It's a whale and dolphin.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

RFC2324 posted:

now all i can think is WILL IT BLEND?!!

I want this, but with Tungsten HIMARS.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is there a running total of the notable people Putin has (had) throw out of windows?

Blistex fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 26, 2022

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jimmy Smuts posted:

They don't even make a half-assed attempt at hiding the cause anymore

The cause is the message.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alchenar posted:

Oh Medvedev absolutely wasn't a Western-style reformer, but he clearly wanted a stable and peaceful relationship with the West and seemed to be willing to liberalise Russia (at least as far as could be done without threatening everyone's money funnels). Something like Medvedev's Presidency is probably the best possible low-probability outcome we could hope from a Putin successor.

I liken him to being the Russian Hu Jintao since my crowd is more China-savvy.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rust Martialis posted:

So CAPTOR could be laid by a drone boat, no? Wondering what a few would do laid off Sevastopol harbor.

They should say that they gave Ukraine 50 of them in the next arms package and see how fast the Russians retask their fleet's crew.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Another factor is that Europe makes Leopards (made?) And the parts/service logistics are literally just on the other side of the border in Poland. It's easier to use what's already established rather than setting up something new. If the US wants to really step up, longer ranged missiles would be the ticket. Russia having to fight modern tanks with modern sensors is not a good thing. Russia having to do that while moving all their supplies and repair facilities another 100-200km further behind the lines to avoid death from above is a really lovely situation. Especially since they appear to be slow to adapt to Ukraine getting a longer striking reach each time it happens.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SlowBloke posted:

I have a hunch that other European countries warehousing procedures are as hosed as Germany so it will pretty much destroy the Leo export reputation if a potential client will see them destroyed by being put in a warehouse for a bit.

I don't know if I missed something, but has there been an indication that German Leo 2's that have been stored have not been maintained, or was it the article mentioning how the few dozen tanks that Rheinmetall had laying around their factory would take years to get working. *

*the theory being that those tanks were lemons/testing platforms/returns under warranty that were never maintained because they never imagined they would ever sell them

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

shame on an IGA posted:

it's double hilarious because the original series klingons were based on right wing stereotypes of Mao's china

The original Klingons were supposed to represent the USSR, but were dressed and made up to look like pirates, which the actors and directors of the week leaned into.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ded posted:

leo 1's have like no armor. they are better off just using t-72s

Leopard ones are very much "go fast don't get hit" since at the time of their design it was thought you couldn't reliably defend against heat rounds, which was somewhat true until armor technology caught up.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CommieGIR posted:

The Leopard 2 at least has better crew protection and blow out systems unlike the T-72.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only modernish tanks that don't have blowout systems are the Russian T-Series.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Handsome Ralph posted:

He took a train, and the Russians were told a few hours ahead of time Biden would be visiting Kyiv so they could avoid any issues.

Wonder how that phone call went.

"Listen Blyat"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Was that a Russian cownter attack?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Interesting tidbit from the latest ISW update on Ukraine:
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-11-2023

Not sure what to make of this as I'm certainly no Kremlinologist but this seems noteworthy for sure.

The "infighting" is actually everyone saying, "not it" after Putin filled his diaper.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

shame on an IGA posted:

gently caress myPay, amirite guys?

~~ an SOF marine

I'm unfamiliar with the term...

<Halo jumps out of thread>

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s good, at my MegaCorp I’m not a programmer but am the only one who has the patience to deal with a clunky system and communicate politely with other depts who need the system to do something. The only other person doing so recently left, and will be lucky if we get a replacement and they aren’t bored immediately.

Getting a strong "Office Space" vibe from you.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BobHoward posted:

That's a lot of rust on the rifling. It's obviously been abandoned in the elements, but I'm a bit surprised there's not enough of a coating or hard chromed layer to delay rusting out so bad at least a little bit.

Metal exposed to extreme heat and stresses oxidizes incredibly fast. A catastrophic explosion like that opens up the metal fibers so to speak, allowing oxidization to happen even faster.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

A.o.D. posted:

It's just barrel fatigue. It's the simplest and most likely answer. It's already known that Russian/Soviet doctrine is artillery first, last and always, and that their ability to service their equipment isn't anywhere near the demand rate for their equipment. This is what happens to tube artillery if you use it past its Best By date.

The simplest explanation is that a rabbit obstructed the barrel, and a moblik got soot on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Itchy_Grundle posted:

"It's Mobik Season so shoot me now!!!"

"BUK season!"