Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's all old school AA was- put as much lead near the thing as possible, hope for the best.

That's probably how Red Baron Manfred von Richthofen bought it. AA tactics from the wood and canvas era are back baby, ahwooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Japan is a pacifist* nation which is constitutionally barred* from having a military and thus "does not" have one.

They also do not have giant robot death mechs, but nobody can guarantee they don't have a plan to develop them at rapid speed in case of emergency.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

You could send a squadron of drones under automated control with a single operator who takes control one-at-a-time to make the final attack run with each.

I think this is not unlike how drone strikes currently work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

spend more on toxic gas mitigation

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Madurai posted:

When's the last time a cutting out mission was performed on a docked ship? US Civil War?

I was going to say the Mayaguez Incident might count but that wasn't docked.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Turns out that not paying your military impedes your ability to fight a war. Who would have guessed?

"Pay your soldiers on time" is one of the rules of war that has persisted unchanged since antiquity

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Xakura posted:

I imagine its more of a lax QA/rushed production issue than a cost issue

Somewhere else along the front a Russian tank crew is about to receive tank shells filled with a spicy double-charge

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My wife refuses to gently caress me in my long johns, that checks out.

You post in GiP and want her to wear your underwear, of course she is weirded out by it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

pmchem posted:

europe seriously built out its LNG import facilities and cut legacy wasteful use. I don't think natural gas plays a controlling factor in their decisions on the war anymore

I worked in semiconductor manufacturing during the first Russian invasion of Ukraine and occupation of Crimea. The laser lithography process uses noble gases in the chambers, specifically a lot of neon. The litho tools also happen to be the most expensive process tools in the whole fab (each are $50M+), and as such are usually the bottleneck for capital equipment.
The most economical way to get commercial quantities of neon gas is as a byproduct of steel manufacturing, but only a specific type of steel manufacturing process. 2/3rds of the world's capacity for that kind of steel manufacturing was in Eastern Ukraine. Commodity prices shot up overnight, literally 10x higher and even peaking at 30x higher. It also became scarce. Where they used to get huge tanks delivered via cargo ship they were shipping canisters via air mail, because the chips must flow.
Within a week the tool manufacturers developed, tested, and deployed a software update that reduced consumption by 50%. Over the next month, they deployed two more updates that ended up reducing the consumption by a total of ~80%.
In the next couple months, commodity prices settled down to a bit higher than before, but nowhere near the peak. Effective cost was now 30% of what it was pre-crisis, because they had curbed consumption so much.

Moral of the story is that people can pull off some very impressive feats of engineering to adapt to price shocks of critical commodities.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah. No one gets killed when they're driving down the road and they hear their tire go BANG, but they do have a good ol moment of "oh, gently caress me running" and have to pull over and stop a while and contemplate the life choices that led up to this moment.

Yeah, now the vehicle will have to be retired :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Herman Merman posted:

Yeah no giving out prestigious and well-paying but politically irrelevant jobs is an extremely traditional way of bribing your political rivals

There's a whole pipeline in the US of major political donor to ambassador. Some of them literally write out a preference list. The real cushy ones are the ones to smaller countries where you essentially have a vacation home and attend state dinners and the ambassador and the office do very little actual work. Ones who aren't major trade partners or politically sensitive, like Iceland, Bahamas, Costa Rica, Monaco, Vatican or Luxembourg.

If you're the US ambassador to Mexico, South Korea, China, India or Pakistan you'll probably be expected to do real work at some point.
This sounds like one of the "real work" ones

Powered Descent posted:

Ambassadorships can be a political oubliette, but in this case the ambassador to the UK is probably under some pressure to try and obtain a few more of His Majesty's Challenger 2s.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

psydude posted:

Apparently the UK has already had RAF personnel in Ukraine for a while now, to say nothing of the CIA and MI6 paramilitary units that have almost assuredly been there advising since the start.

Deploying thousands of maintenance and logistics folks would be a major escalation, though.

I recall hearing about AFU using Polish facilities to do repairs and maintenance on armored vehicles from a year ago. Put the busted ones on a rail car and send them west to get fixed

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ronwayne posted:

:stare: Uh, wow. Were there any other boarding actions in WWII where both ships where still active and not just taking over a surrendered vessel?

30 years later you had the Mayaguez incident, which was expected to be an opposed boarding but the Khmer Rouge guys had already cleared out.

The French race to scuttle the fleet at Toulon in WWII before the Germans snagged the ships would maybe count as an opposed boarding action. Panzers on the dock were shooting at the ships!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The current administration will probably need little encouragement to buy corvettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1780141790273704045

There aren't a lot of uplifting news out of Ukraine for the time being, but what the gently caress did the Russians build here? Did they drive a tank through a barn and the barn stuck on?

Content: One of the wierdest-looking improvised vehicles I've ever seen.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/31192

Content: Ukraine blows up a big Russian radar complex.

Learning from the 20th century's greatest tactician, Bugs Bunny