Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress the...
This poll is closed.
Cowboys 82 42.05%
Commanders (really, that's the name?) 38 19.49%
Giants 29 14.87%
Eagles 46 23.59%
Total: 116 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I guess i should feel happy about the Eagle's 1st round, I haven't seen a single Titans game in years and knew nothing about Davis, but everyone seems hyped up so yay. Seems like a decent low-expectation, playing with house money kind of season for us with Hurts and the potential of drafting his replacement next year if necessary. How bad is AJ Brown's injury history? His numbers seem good but not extraordinary, but he's super young so people are expecting him to still have a big upside right?

Do the Eagles stand a good chance at plugging their remaining holes on defense with their remaining picks? I'm assuming they're going to hedge a lot on undrafted FAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

His numbers are good lol

Can you elaborate a bit? His total yards don't pop out (he's never been top 10 or anything yet). His rookie Y/R was great, but has been worse since. His TD receptions have been good. I'm open to him being an amazing pick-up, but the numbers don't really tell much of a story--I guess I just can't parse what makes him stand-out. I'll probably look into deeper video analysis later.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

For starters, he's young and brings a resume better than anything the Eagles currently have on their roster. Playing for a run oriented team with Ryan Tannehill tossing him the ball. He's probably better than any WR who was left on the board at 18. Personally, I would have liked to see the Birds take a similar angle for Deebo Samuel - who I think would be an excellent fit here - but that pick trade with SF probably wouldn't have done it. Maybe it would have since SF didn't have a first rounder?

Not that I can see and they desperately need a CB2 opposite Slay and they hate taking Line Backers...BUT:

Every year around nut cutting time, a few surprising players get let go and are grabbed up by other teams. Typically veterans who make too much money or who are playing for one more year. They can grab a safety or a slot corner there probably.

Looks to me like the Eagles' approach is to give Hurts one more year with a little bit more to work with in a weak division and see what happens knowing that we still have two #1's next year to gently caress around with if he happens to poo poo the bed. Wouldn't shock me at all if they took Willis as a hedge bet on Hurts.

Appreciate ya, yeah makes sense.

For clarity i wasn't being critical of the trade or him, but it was a fairly expensive trade and contract. The context helps a lot.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

Dean was in the first round green room

drat that sucks

Yeah if he's actually as healthy as he and Howie are claiming, it really sucks how much the misinformation about the severity of his injuries will cause him.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I like Hurts and hope he does well, but unless he makes a big jump with his arm, I think the Eagles taking a QB next year is drat near inevitable.

Even if he has a good record and leads them to a few playoff Ws, the incentive to draft a potential elite QB on a cheap contract for another 5 years is really high and I'd doubt they'd want to pay Hurts big money to be a better Tebow. And chances are, they'd either keep Hurts as a transitional QB or decent trade bait for a team looking for some stability.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I think he's already established his absolute floor as at least a top tier backup, spot starter and a bridge for a team that's rebuilding (which is kind of what he seems to be now but the hope is he continues to improve). I can think of a lot of teams right now where he'd be a better option than their starter. Dude seems to work hard and from all accounts is well liked and respected in the locker room. I doubt he'd accept a backup role to stay with Philly if they look to move on.

Let's see what he can do with strong OL, a good running game and also now Brown to pair with Smith, an improving Goddert at TE and Watkins in the slot.
Right, I guess my main point is that they'll have to make some decisions about his contract and future after this season anyway, and if he's basically just a better version of himself now, they'll likely make it clear they won't commit to him long term.

Doltos posted:

Hurts sucks rear end why do Eagles fans keep getting hopeful

You're right, optimism doesn't belong in the NFC East

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Depends on if your expectation is Super Bowl or bust. I'm just hoping for a good, exciting season, and maybe a fun playoff run but I don't believe the Eagles are going to be championship contenders for at least 2 years. And I'm ok with that.

It's a young, up and coming team and that's pretty great. If Hurts is just decent, he'll give us some flexibility. The team is pretty well set up for the future anyway.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Eagles gonna somehow combine Carson Strong's arms with Jalen Hurts Legs and form the ultimate QB.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe the Eagles really should contact Foles or any other decently proven QB. This team is giving similar vibes to that 2017 one that didn't get much buzz going into the season, but basically looked like a really solid team top to bottom.

Replace Hurts with any of the top 10 QBs and this team would be favorites. They still have a chance with him, but drat, it feels like an opportune year.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Forget the top ten QB, my point is more that the Eagles look like they're a steady pocket passer away from being top contenders in the NFC.

I'm generally fine with Hurts, but this was looking like another year of the up and up on a rebuild. A few months of good moves later and the team is looking like they could have a legit shot now.

Anyway, I won't be mad if they stay the course, the team looks like it'll be strong for years to come, regardless of this season.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 18, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Doltos posted:

His stance rubber bands hard between wide and keeping his legs way too close together. Makes his accuracy a crap shoot. He needs to shorten up his steps on the drop back so he doesn't have to swing his wide stance up to do that little knock knee passing he does. I really do feel sorry for Philly WRs. I don't think their busts are that bad. There's so many lovely passes whenever I watch Hurts that it really reinforces how good Quez and DeVonta were for them last year. Constantly having to come back on routes as Hurts dances in the backfield, constant crappy ducks way out of the route. Would throw them into contested situations all the time.

It just feels like a complete lack of development. He was just so good at running out of the RPO that Bama, Oklahoma, and Philly didn't try to make him learn footwork. He can still obviously run in the NFL but his passes are either beautiful floaters that look like Nick Foles or complete knuckleballs.

I basically agree with this. Heck, I think everyone here is in consensus that his arm is bad. The general disagreement is whether he can improve and/or whether the team's upgrades will either carry him or outright make his flaws irrelevant. Many people have their doubts.

Like in a vacuum, he's better than Foles (and I'm not attached to the idea of getting him) but the team is now built to give even a mediocre passing QB a great shot. Hurts' legs can probably carry a bad team to 7-9 wins in a weak division, it's whether they'll matter much for this team if he still can't throw a decent football.

I predict he'll end up leading them to 10-12 Ws with unremarkable passing behind a strong team effort and have his replacement drafted next year. Then if we're lucky, the Jaguars or whomever else looking to just improve will trade for him to bring them up to mediocrity.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Eagles gonna sweep the awards?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Lurie is basically a saint by sports team owner standards.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah seems pointless, not an improvement and it doesn't exactly scream "Eagles" or anything. Send like change just for the sake of change

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Hurts is gone after this season

I think the good news is that o-line and WR corps is so strong that even Minshew or Strong could probably fill in and put up pro-Bowl numbers as long as they can throw a ball on target.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

indigi posted:

Snyder sucks but lmao at how impotent the US government is

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm hoping worst case scenario Hurts maintains his running, leads a fun playoff push and brings back a decent draft haul from a team desperate for any QBs.

It's not unheard of for a bad team with a shaky wr corps to try for some relevance with a Mobile QB.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

They need to move the season up a month. This Hurts conversation basically repeats itself all the time. Just need him to play and show what he can do already.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I wonder how much slack the Eagles will give Hurts, but with the way that team is built, I wouldn't be shocked if they go to Minshew within 3 bad games. Then again, injuries and whatnot happen so it'll be interesting to see how things play out. But it's hard to say Hurts could be the biggest disappointment considering like half of all people are seemingly expecting his arm/vision to be a disaster.

Dak has got to have the biggest expectations and thus the highest chance to disappoint though.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Not concerned and not overly concerned is actually a big difference. Those Commanders are acknowledging it, they probably also realize their organization is a huge poo poo show and they shouldn't overly focus on one obvious but unaddressable problem. Like in fairness, what can they do? He is what he is, and they've gone too far to simply bench him.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Wawa is a gold standard of American convenience marts. However anyone who's been to Asia knows that it's (pretty much the entire East/Southeast) mart game is light years ahead of the US.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Is Johnson a first name?

No idea who that guy is but if it helps the Eagles secondary and weakens the Saints a bit for that juicy pick, I'm all for it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Thank God the national nightmare of raegor is over

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

As dumb as the Commanders name is, it's going to be much worse hearing announcers saying things like "Washington takes a Commanding lead!" one day if they're ever decent again.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If the Eagles make Euphronius a rich man, he wins the thread

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

I would argue the best qb ability is availability .

Kaepernick has been the best QB of the past decade

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

What does it mean to be a fast healer? Is there some scientific way to measure that? Does Dak have super blood or genes or something that I don’t have?

Some athletes do heal faster than others, though I don't think we've had the scientific studies to show exactly how and why such things happen. Otherwise, they should do everything they can to study and use Giannis' DNA to advance the entire human race.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Wentz will play well enough to be traded for diminishing draft assets, this time a 5th and 7th rounder from a team that barely even has a backup QB.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hell maybe 20-0

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hurts leads the Eagles to an in incredible 17-0 record, runs away with the MVP and lays an egg in their first playoff game. Eagles fans' heads explode over his impending contract status

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I thought JJ played pretty good corner too, Slay could've had like 3 more catches easily.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Washington hosed up when they didn't rename their team the Dawgs

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hurts appears to be throwing more accurate passes to me, but having better weapons and a stronger o-line would certainly help all around, including giving a guy more confidence to throw surer passes.

I think it'll be clearer about halfway through the season, assuming they ever fall behind in a game and he's actually being tested. Thus far, building up big leads makes it hard to gauge since the team seems to be taking their feet off the gas a bit in the second halves.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Tiki even fumbled when he retired the year before the Giants won the Superbowl.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

:agreed:

I didn't watch a whole lot of Jags games last year (who did?) but I thought Lawrence passed the eye test.

Gonna be funny if the Eagles just keep ejecting coaches who go on to have successful careers and/or SB wins.

If you go back to the 80s, they're up to... 2? Dick Vermeil who spent about 20 years before his SB, and Reid who took about 10. I think most Eagles fans would be happy for Doug if he's #3, just hopefully not in a game against the Eagles.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Reid was decent at talent evaluation, but he had one of the worst draft picks in NFL history in Danny Watkins and among other things it was clear his connection with the players and the team was wanting in his last few seasons. I'm glad he found his way on the Chiefs and legitimized himself as a HoF game. Besides, even his Chiefs tenure had a lot of influence on the Eagles team that won the SB.

And also, it's true, the NFL ended with SBLII, perfect storyline. Hell, it was one of the last bright spots before the world ended in 2020.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So the Eagles are the greatest 2nd quarter team in the history of the NFL, right?

Clown ball to rule them all.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'd love an undefeated season but considering clown ball poo poo like whatever the Giants did yesterday to somehow win in this NFL and be 3-1, I'm much more confident in expecting about 3 embarrassing letdown losses or some cursed injuries when going for win 17 when all signs point to taking the extra rest for the best.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So what's the deal with the Cardinals? Why are people discounting then so much this season? Just curious since the unbeaten Eagles are flying there this week and people seem to assume it's an easy W.

Main thing I know of them is we traded Ertz to them to give him a chance on a contender and they seemed to fall apart as the season wound down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

It's amazing how well the Hurts draft, when it was disliked by everybody at the time, has worked out great for everybody but Wentz, which is cool and good. Thank you Wentz for being unreliable

It helped that Wentz has often acted like an unaccountable headcase during and since his final season with the birds. He's an easy guy to dislike from a fan perspective. It amplifies the negative impact of his heroball failures.