Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Welp hello again goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Hate to hand it to matty g but I think this is essentially correct

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1588193355019714563

The rest is mostly dumb per his usual style

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Victory Lap posted:

Why would a major car brand want to advertise on twitter now anyway? gently caress it, there's tons of other advertising opportunities that aren't owned by a guy they're in competition with.

I was gonna say the longer you keep him engaged there the more he's wasting Tesla engineers' time on Twitter but then again that's less time they have to somehow manage to make Teslas even worse so idk it's a tough calculus

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Even if he wanted to fight bots he couldn't. Some of the worst are the crypto spam bots and there's no way they could target those without catching a bunch of real crypto nerds in the crossfire, which is a 100% overlap with his cultists

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

Does your employer even have your personal email address? Don’t think mine does.

My like recruiter does. I have no idea if that lives on somewhere

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You know what is interesting about this is I wonder how much musk is working with right-wing elements to lobby the banning of tick tock while simultaneously attempting to revive vine. Obviously it hasn't happened yet under Joe Biden but it's still being talked about however under trump it was talked about quite a bit more.

Ah this is a good point. I thought bringing vine back is a moronic idea because they can't compete with tiktok but this would do it

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-04/twitter-sued-for-mass-layoffs-by-musk-without-enough-notice

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/PatrickGKellyG/status/1588611343787053056?t=_IiicsfbVdHJDlhE9V4wUA&s=19

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Deptfordx posted:

And as others have pointed out, 90% of tweets and content is from an even smaller sub-set of about 20 million.

I crumbled to dust when I learned that Twitter considered "heavy tweeters" to be 4 times a week

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have June 9, 2023 yet

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

beer_war posted:

I keep seeing this, but, uh, who reported it?

McMillen is a well known software engineer, still has something named after him internally at Google etc, I suspect it's a personal source

Fake edit:

Ah, this would make sense too

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

BlackIronHeart posted:

I hope those folks are offering to help at a consultant rate of $5,000/hour. Elon's got the cash, he can afford it.

Hmm come back and work 80 hrs/week on salary or take my 60 days of WARN pay for 0hrs/week :hmmyes:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

GABA ghoul posted:

Tiwtter has 1+ billion downloads on Google play store. Mastodon has +100k. I don't know about this

The official app is both new and sucks. You'd have to add up a bunch of clients to get an accurate number

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
On one hand I think he has to be aware of SA on the other hand I fully believe he spent that time going "oh ho ho this Eric Bauman fellow sure is funny"

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Didn't trump get tweets about him printed off? Musk goes searching out 3 digit follower accounts and fumes about them saying he's got a smelly dick or whatever

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Aramis posted:

Theory: Trump personally asked him to wait until he formally announces he's running for president, as he wants to make it clear that this awards him special deference in various matters (including in court).

This also lets him out of his timed exclusivity deal with Truth since there's an exception for political campaigning or something to that effect

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Masterbatelon

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Doctor Butts posted:

Did Egon ever actually go to Twitter hq and talk to any of the employees before or after acquiring it?

Yeah that's when he walked in with a sink for some reason because he's going to sink the company

e: also when Manu who was famous internally at Google for his drawings critiquing the company handed him a drawing that probably got him fired

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Total Party Kill posted:

So, do people who previously had blue checkmarks get to keep them for free for the time being? Or did those all get wiped out?

Initially they said you have 60 days to pony up your protection money receive all the benefits of subscribing. Don't know if that's changed

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

lamo

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Jet tracking shows Elon heading to Germany to search for the one person who can help in his time of need. His first stop:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Aramis posted:

By the time the dust settles, Twitter is going to be running off a Mastodon instance.

Maybe we were unfair in our interpretation of what @jack meant when he said elmo was the only one who could turn Twitter into an open api/platform

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

VikingofRock posted:

Just thinking about this scene from Star Trek Disco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgMCNXzNtE

This show sucked so bad lol

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Thanks for attending this 9:45pm standup. We’ve got a lot to get through but I just want to say I’m super thankful to be your new manager. Now first of all I know what Elon wants, I’ve spoken with him directly. We’re best buds. He wants results. End of day, let’s do it. Get that site back up. Rewrite it if you have to. But I want to see those commits, on the hour. Also, management says everyone’s back in the office, mandatory, 9 to 9, until we are done. But we are going to be making the best products. The absolute best.

Now before you get back to work, let’s go through this new style guide I’ve made—

*servers in the next room set on fire*

See that’s the kind of initiative I like to see. Pushing everything we’ve got as hard as it can go. Good work team. Back to the style guide—you have a question? A linter? What’s that? That’s not a thing. Anyway let’s save those questions for later, I’ve got a lot of slides to get through here…

*building collapses*

:emptyquote:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

TulliusCicero posted:

I've heard good things about Lower Decks as well

Isn't Discovery's main character a like, actual fan fiction tier sister of somebody?

Just make her an entirely new character, what the actual gently caress

Spock lol

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

My suspicion is this still be worse for the following week since people were navigating their exit.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Honestly shocked to see Mastodon coming back, I thought it was already dead

Like a lot of other janky open source stuff it will never actually be dead because some dedicated group of people will never leave it. I've never stuck with it because my social graph wasn't there but I'm happy to see it coming back up again

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/photomatt/status/1589665959337656322

Please Tumblr implement activitypub the amount of drama that would come out would be world class also it would make Elmo so mad

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

drat that sucks this'll probably actually do a lot to stem the bleeding

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

How does a "topic focused mastodon server" differ from, say, discord

Servers are basically meaningless in mastodon it's all federated so you can talk to anyone on any mastodon* server.

*Technically it's any software that speaks activitypub

e:

By popular demand posted:

Does anyone use GNU social? It's recommended by Richard Stallman.

ActivityPub is basically an outgrowth of GNU social. Iirc, some server software can talk to both

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

syntaxfunction posted:

What I hear about Mastadon is that it is twitterised reddit. Your feed is r/all and all the instances are subreddits.

So that system (in gist), but without reddits actual comment format. Also the subreddits can ignore each other.

Every "mastodon is like..." I see is somehow a worse description of the site than the last

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Unperson_47 posted:

If what someone said about mastodon owning copyright to everything posted there is true, that's kinda hosed and should change.

No that's cohost the uwu soft Tumblr clone that doesn't have VC backing*

* It has some shadow funder that owns all the code if they don't turn a profit

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

woke kaczynski posted:

Dunno anything about co-host but that guy's a massive prick

Long time no see and also I would like to know more about this

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Strong Sauce posted:

double blue checkmark exists because elon didn't want to admit he had a bad idea.

but also what if say, the whitehouse just refuses to pay $10. do they get that 2nd checkmark or what?

Like he'd give the official mark to the white house occupant that stole the election

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah honestly I don't know what I'd be doing in their shoes. At least if you got laid off you should have WARN act money coming, but the job market around here ain't great right now

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's not just funny that he's having to sell stock to stay afloat, it's also funny that his worshippers are going to be losing money to do it

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

syntaxfunction posted:

Musk could own 0% of SpaceX, Tesla and Twitter and would still fight tooth and nail to remain CEO of all of them lest people forget he exists.

Homeless Leon throwing bricks at the windows of passing cars and turning around to mug for the non existent audience

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Blue
Checks
Paying eight dollars a pop
Woah oh
That's how dick riders roll

e: sorry this started with me thinking that they should get a little blue penis to be verified dick riders

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 9, 2022

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

The right wing circus doesn’t see the blue check as just a “not a fake” though, they see it as a special highlight that they don’t get. Like a “TRUTH HERE” banner that only the libs have access to.

It’s clear Elon thinks it’s that too

Authoritarians are obsessed with signs of authority and hierarchy so they project those feelings onto the blue check mark/verified accounts and get mad about how they think they're better than everyone else