Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

He’s not a bumbling doofus He’s a tech mogul who destroys his product with his enhancements after firing all his workers.

he didn't invent that either? i used to work at barnes&noble and the exact same thing happened there, a tech mogul came in and fired hundreds of people including the entire previous tier of senior management, and then everyone who was left had to work on bad idea after bad idea while the core of what made the company work was gutted. it just didnt make the news (outside of publishing) because the new ceo was a more boring kind of incompetent and didnt shitpost on twitter all day. its an old story. it happens all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is there any other billionaire/ceo type who is given time as a performer/comedian/etc even though they have no talent or even interest in the art at all? like musk was also invited to host snl for some reason. i dont see the koch brothers or warren buffet or bezos doing that kind of poo poo, at least not in so public a way. like supposedly paul allen from microsoft was actually a great guitarist but i dont remember him trying to join metallica on stage or whatever

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sometime in the early days of twitter i remember people repeating a factoid that went something like "they have 9 servers dedicated just to tweets about justin bieber"

i dont know if thats true or makes any kind of technical sense but i suspect thats the type of engineering shapiro means

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im usually pretty hesitant to accuse anyone of "progressive virtue signaling" but i would say that start trek discovery is definitely a tv show that indulges in it, but i also remember there was an episode in season 2 or 3 in which musk is casually namedropped in the same context as like the wright brothers and whoever invented the warp drive, and i wonder if they are going to stealthily go in and edit that out

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i only want the mars future if its going to be like total recall. all the other mars movies/books/etc are pretty boring. sorry kim stanly robinson, you tried.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Colonising Mars is dumb but this is a dumb objection. It took millions of years for Mars to lose it's atmosphere due to the lack of magnetosphere. If you could put the atmosphere there in the first place you could easily top it up.

who is the "you" that put the atmosphere there in the first place?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

One of the few good observations that Scott Adams ever made before he went off the deep end is that we're a species of idiots living in a society designed by a few thousand amazingly smart deviants.

this isn't a good observation, it's a lovely one that reinforces the myth that the people who "design society", in other words the power structure, got there by virtue of their intelligence rather than by virtue of personal connections to said power structure or possessing the associated traits. in reality society isn't "designed" by people who are any more amazingly smart than the people who are simply trying to survive.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there are amazingly smart people who wash dishes for a living and there are absolute morons running divisions of massive corporations, in no sense is society "designed" by the smartest people nor does intelligence generally have much to do with who gets into a position of influence to shape any element of society

the idea that society is "mostly idiots except for a few special geniuses" is very common among people like adams and musk and also nerds who got really into that sword of truth fantasy series, but i think ultimately it comes from rand

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

new ideas can't really emerge in conservatism since the whole core of the ideology is about adherence to tradition. the last big "new idea" in conservative circles involved bringing back the roman empire and using medieval-style blood libels to fuel moral panic driven nationalism, and it's a "new idea" that happens again and again.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

plain old reactionary "things were better in the old days when Leave it to Beaver was real life" conservatism sure but modern anglophone rightwingers are generally tied up in all kinds of mad science/psychonaut/we need to care Very Deeply about the 30 billion Jupiter colonists i imagined live in the year 7000 garbage that doesn't map to any kind of real-world tradition.

in a way that thread of conservatism follows in the footsteps of norse revivalist/hollow earth/thule society fascism and some of the precursors that can be found in 19th century occultist groups like theosophical society, rosicrucians, golden dawn etc

also a lot of the crazy poo poo that far right people talk about is them getting confused about their own dog whistle terms and taking them literally. e.g. the "reptilian" conspiracy, which started out as a dog whistle term for jews but thanks to internet culture there is also now a subsegment of people who believe in a race of literal reptile aliens that have infiltrated humanity.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 14, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s not like the Cybertruck is ever going to be released. It’s been so long since they announced it, I can’t remember what cool features it had other than bulletproof glass that wasn’t bulletproof.

its main features are that its ugly and it has cameras instead of mirrors

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

He does this to build up and maintain a public persona.

to what end tho?

i dont really get the appeal. if i was a billionaire, especially an evil billionaire, i'm pretty sure i'd devote a chunk of my resources to keeping my name out of any media and ensuring that no one knew who i was except for crazy conspiracy theorists who would be immediately dismissed as nuts simply for mentioning my supposed existence

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont know if its something to do with the owner attitude or the car itself but at least in california ive noticed that teslas tend to belong to some of the worst drivers on the road,, often bad at really basic poo poo like parking

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

How are accounts for bots made? Because someone needs to just flood twitter with bots that report on elon's jet

all you need to make a twitter account is a unique email address

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

To be fair I'm an awful driver, so a self-driving vehicle is something I would absolutely gravitate toward if it worked.

self-driving vehicles are already a thing and already on the streets, they aren't teslas though they are made by gm. they are kind of irritating in actual practice because they very strictly obey all traffic rules. it loving sucks to get stuck behind one. they're currently in san francisco, i'm not sure if they can be found anywhere else yet.

one of the most annoying things about elon is that he has somehow wrapped the public perception of self-driving cars as like a broad concept around himself, to the point where people think tesla's specific failures in that space are failures of the technology in general. but actually while tesla is struggling with their weird wedge truck and running kids over, other car companies have actually gone much further and in some cases are already being used in actual practice. they have their own problems, but the degree to which discussion of such a huge concept revolves around one idiot, who isn't even a leader in that space, is kind of maddening.

also in the south bay area suburbs there are now little self-driving coolers that deliver food. they're very slow and ive never ordered from a place that uses them, but they are kinda cute. but also very stupid, i often see them get stuck trying to negotiate crossing the exit of a parking lot.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 14, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

why would an established manufacturer like GM go out of its way to tie its name to a semifunctional car gimmick that's only presently useful, if at all, to large institutions that mostly don't make shopping decisions based on Reddit discourse

i dont know maybe ask them? my guess is they see it more as a test than a gimmick, in any case my point is it's not hypothetical and its nothing to do with musk

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Everyone wanted more reacts than just like on Facebook, but I reckon it's one of the things that made FB a much more toxic platform.

i dont think that had anything to do with reaction buttons

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont think they can really get in trouble for false advertising unless someone buys the truck, attempts to tow "near infinite mass" with it, and proves that it cannot.

this is unlikely to happen because first they would have to actually manufacture the truck

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

Actual self driving does exist, Waymo has self driving taxis where you just sit in the back and let it take you where you're going. But they only operate in very limited well-mapped areas, have far more comprehensive sensors than Tesla and always have a car lurking somewhere nearby with a driver in it who will come rescue you if the car gets stuck. That's about as far as we are going to get for the foreseeable future.

yeah, ive mentioned it before ts really weird that the general conversation around self driving cars continues to treat them as some hypothetical thing that tesla might someday successfully make, ignoring the fact that someone else already did. the tesla fanboys wont mention them for obvious reasons, nor will the tesla detractors since talking about them doesnt involve some kind of tesla-related take, and thus they end up left out of the conversation even though they are in fact already on the street in an increasing number of cities, often driving around with no one in them at all.

currently they are very annoying tho. ive never ridden in one but ive been stuck behind them a few times and its exactly like getting stuck behind a very old person who drives exactly the speed limit.

apparently the sfpd tried pulling one over once, an empty one, and it did initially pull over but then took off again while the cop was standing there, and then led a 25 mph "police chase" until the company intervened

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 7, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ben shapino posted:

All leftists want to kill your family, chop your kid's dick off and put you in a gulag

and dont forget that while you're locked up in the gulag they'll replace your gas stove with an electric one

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

we would be able to occupy Mars slightly faster if Musky and other billionaires paid taxes, supported various supa communists poo poo like multiple Universal BLANKS, and then created stem school mills.

while this is true, it would also be a stupid use of the money. we don't need to occupy mars faster, we don't need to occupy mars at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I'm sorry, are there three-tittied ladies here on Earth already?

yes, the famous three-tittied lady scene from the film total recall was in fact filmed here on earth, not on mars. so far all of the films that have actually been made on mars are of rocks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

learnincurve posted:

conspiracy theories are the 2023 version of 17 internet explorer toolbars

you know, i really wish they were that harmless and stupid but they aren't. the conspiracy theories that gain the most traction these days are literally the exact same "blood libel" conspiracy theories that fueled some of the nastiest pogroms in medieval europe, just with a slight veneer of internet culture absurdity painted onto them. they've already led to violence and this poo poo is going to have much more severe consequences than crappy malware from the early 00's.

Mozi posted:

conspiracies happen when someone fucks up and tries to cover it up, not out of some grand intricate plan to control the world

yea conspiracies happen all the time, most of them just tend to be rather mundane events like "group of people decides to commit insurance fraud". they aren't always about cover ups, many of them are about making money. or blaming a different faction for one's own violence (e.g. right-wing forces committing acts of terror and blaming it on left-wing groups in italy in the 70's). its the global mastermind/reptilian poo poo that involves elements of fantasy, but elements that are easy to believe because humans naturally can and do conspire to do nefarious poo poo all the time, on a smaller scale.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 31, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Obsidianheart posted:

How long until he starts adding "Le" to the beginning of absofuckinglutely everything like a mid-to-late 10s channer?

i thought that came from reddit

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if humanity seeks to journey among the stars then perhaps instead of putting a lot of effort into going to an empty desert planet and building some crappy domes on it we should simply wait until we are contacted by an advanced spacefaring civilization that already knows how to do terraforming and stuff and just buy some of their cruise tickets or whatever

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

koshmar posted:

My grandpa used to joke about Cocaine in Coke, it is horribly unoriginal. He's just so dumb.

I mean no ones made that exact joke, but who but the richest idiot in the world could.

its not even a joke, it really did have cocaine in it. i dont know if its possible to "steal" a factoid

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

This is my favourite of my own tweets:

https://twitter.com/warhappened/status/1474157230324957192?s=46&t=GPYEkrjUoC_vfDelkKC8gQ

But then again I’m not using Twitter to strike my ego, just stroke my history nerdism.

thats a good tweet

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

I know, I know, wall of text, but Elon's absolutely not sticking up for the nice science account in that tweet.

thank you for this context

speaking of the street journalists that andy ngo likes to smear, i used to follow a small handful of good/decent leftists like chad loder and vishal singh who were disappeared from the site shortly after the musk takeover, for obvious reasons. any idea where those people are posting now? i'd like to keep reading their stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are there still that many actual human beings simping for elon or are these alts of himself and a small handful of weird pathetic supporters or just people he's paid to be yesmen

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im not at all surprised by musk's treatment of halli it seems very typical of his personality. i find it a lot harder to read all the musk sycophants jumping in to insult him. just so loving gross

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

priznat posted:

The aggravating thing is that despite being the stupidest rear end in a top hat online he still won’t face any real repercussions and the people he wronged (like this dude) will have to expend a lot of effort to see any kind of justice or recompense whatsoever (and it will still not be enough).

yeah the degree of poo poo he's been able to get away with so far is mind boggling, like just not paying millions of dollars in rent.

tho i also suspect other billionaires get away with similar poo poo all the time, they just aren't addicted to posting and public humiliation so we don't see much of it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

feeling pretty envious of the writers out there working on books on Elon's takeover of twitter

this will probably turn into competing netflix and hulu series like those fyre fest documentaries

or maybe one will be a dramatization like that one with jared leto playing the wework guy. jeremy strong would be pretty good as musk, if a little too on the nose. or edward norton reprising the role

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lmao that's the guy who was number 2 on the "do not fire" list iirc

lol so like twitter hr/elon really thought if they just ghosted these two guys they would just go away and not ask about their contracts? amazing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ew. i dont like musk but i dont like that thing either

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

entirely regardless of elon's (lack of) skills in the relevant departments, improving twitter is not why he bought it. he just wanted to control the narrative about himself and also to some degree about american and global politics

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kw0134 posted:

This gives Elon too much credit who admits readily he has no plan. He's poo poo at running a company because he's a dilettante who thinks his natural "brilliance" will reveal some hidden way that will make people adore him and make him billions of dollars. Even now, he's grasping for his next dopamine hit, not enacting some nefarious plot.

:confused: im not saying he had a plan, im saying he bought a site because he was mad about people making fun of him and his rightwing buddies. thats not a plan

i was responding to someone talking about how twitter probably could have been made more efficient with various cuts etc. and i'm saying that while that might technically be true it has nothing at all to do with what happened

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

An insane mind posted:

Oh ok! Thanks for informing me. Is it one of those, spawn whatever the gently caress you want mods?

yea iirc it started as a toy to spawn stuff and gently caress around with half life physics modeling, and then it turned into one of those "games within a game" things like there were a bunch of weird multiplayer minigames made entirely within gary's mod

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

...! posted:

It doesn't help that the people creating these things keep calling them AI when they're actually just bots. Extremely sophisticated bots but still just bots. Impressive, yes. Actual intelligence, no. These people know very well that they haven't created AIs but they've decided that buzzwords are much more important than accuracy.

it's almost like some words mean different things in a technical realm vs. among laypeople. there are all kinds of things people call "ai" that are not actual intelligences at all, just like people use the word "insane" to describe behavior not necessarily caused by mental illness, "freezing" to describe the feeling of temperatures higher than any actual freezing point, etc.

mdxi posted:

This has been true since IBM rolled out Watson and decided to PR it as AI.

its been true for longer than that. people use the term to describe poo poo like the ghosts in pacman.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

saying that a for-profit corporation "does more for climate change than any other company" is like saying that a serial killer "does more for saving lives than any other serial killer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Wasn't that the entire premise of Dexter?

yes, and like the premise of dexter it might be an interesting basis for a fictional story but is an absurdity in real life