Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Not Czech but this cover of the The Doors - People Are Strange really kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YQJ6KuWvQ

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Haven't seen the newest vid but can confirm that the new Rammstein album owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ASAPI posted:

I am in a similar situation. Our home value has nearly doubled in the past few years. It's nice to have a "golden parachute" available to us in the event of an emergency. If we even have to use it though, I don't know where we would go to restart. At that point everything will be out of our reach again.

Same. Our house doubled in value, but even if we sold it, we'd have to really stretch to find a similar house, even with $100k in our pockets after paying off the mortgage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oh, it gets better:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

They're also going after INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE, the RIGHT TO CONTRACEPTION, and the RIGHT to NOT TO BE FORCIBLY STERILIZED:

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1521304125874614274

I am really, really, really loving depressed right now.

I don't really see much hope from here. Thanks, Obama.

Can't wait till this is used to justify strengthening slavery again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

As far as crazy tech lords go, McAfee has my respect. Dude was a piece of poo poo but he went full out.

After that? Tom from MySpace (just hosed off with his money) and Steve Jobs (fresh pressed juiced himself to death).

Not cool? Peter Thiel (the ultimate ladder puller) and Elon Musk.

Huge piece of poo poo, and likely murdered a couple people and had a personal army of law enforcement in South America that he used to brutalize people he didn't like.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

You could definitely look at it this way. Liberal Christianity began getting a hold in the 19teens, came into its strength in the 50s and 60s and then began to be eclipsed by Neo-Orthodoxy in the 70s and 80 that became increasingly revanchist as it gained sway.

To be fair, church membership is also waning: https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/church-membership-falls-below-majority-first-time.aspx

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Exactly what I thought of.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Badger badger badger badger

Musha-Mushroom

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol that's like the host of The Dollop Dave Anthony who got mad and blocked people after he got caught plagiarizing drat Interesting for material without asking permission or giving them credit, he was fast to block folk calling him out for it. Some of their episodes were hilarious but I stopped listening around then as it was a red flag that this guy probably wasn't a trustworthy source of info, especially as he was trying to claim the moral high ground in a lot of episodes calling out historical villains. https://www.damninteresting.com/a-special-note-to-the-writers-at-the-dollop/

Ugh, that's a shame, I enjoyed the Dollop. Oh well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

not caring here posted:

It's like a bunch of barracks lawyers all get together, got drunk and wrote some stuff.

That's the state level GOP, yup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Louisiana's governor is a Democrat (but also pro-life), so they're likely trying to make it as provocative as possible to force him to veto it.

Unfortunately, he's one of those Democrats, he's anti-abortion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I think that “Lab Monkes” is supposed to be pronounced like “lab monkeys”, not “lab monks”, but I pronounce “doge” like the Venetian head of state, so I’m not the best person to raise this point.

Do not correct the MASTER Shake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:qq: "But I was a savvy investor with my hodl and diamond hands" :qq:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

....but....hodl....to the moon.... :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

I went to the r/cryptocurrency subreddit to see what the vibe is, I’ve never visited any of these subreddits before.

It’s literally post after post after post of people losing millions of dollars because something called LUNA and UST(?), which I know nothing about, apparently crashed hard and wiped away every everything. From what I gathered it sounded like the two are linked in some way, like you buy LUNA and convert it to UST at a positive value and then burn it back to more LUNA to keep going basically printing money? That’s speculation. Sounds like it didn’t go as expected. This is my favorite;

These are the fuckers that won't shut up about how stupid everyone is for missing the boat for Bitcoin, Crypto in general, and NFTs.

They can rightly get laughed at. You refuse basic investing advice like not overinvesting more than you are willing to lose, and got bit. They spent years being told it was rightfully a scam, and they were going to be the ones left holing the bag, and here we are.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That Works posted:

I think its just a matter of "when" sadly.

Pretty much. Its dehumanizing language, they are well on their way to justifying crimes against humanity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

To pretend that an empty seat is the same as having a person in it, in crowded traffic, who will mostly likely totally notice a rage induced Right Winger coming to shoot them in the head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, first they shoot a press member in the head, now they cannot even let her go to rest in peace.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Did they actually figure out who shot who? I’ll admit I haven’t been following it (or honestly care too much about I/P issues), but I recall a news report pop up saying that the PA wouldn’t turn over the bullet. Granted I have no clue of the validity, just something I saw yesterday, so I’m just looking for clarification one way or the other.

Given that IDF has shot people in the past without warranting it, I suspect its their doing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1525064834550845440?s=20&t=v7MSKRgOLdq6RIrO5RmVXg

Classic boomer Democrat stuck in the 1990s bullshit. Police budgets have never been higher despite whining from snowflake cops about how everyone hates them, maybe we should...try something different?

:doh: Uggghhhh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yup, so basically any Federal enforcement can be easily struck down in the 5ths eyes. This is a free for all at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

$50 says he’s poo poo posting through an incoming SEC investigation.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1526997132858822658?s=20&t=UkhETJ_HfAaADBILah7RCQ

Given that the 5th Circuit just basically said the SEC has no regulatory powers...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Unleash the Black Footed Ferrets and let them rid us of some of these pesky prarie dogs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Now he can threaten the latino parents coming to find out if their kids were shot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

And now they're saying that the shooter ran into a school cop, they slung some bullets, and that's why he went into that room, killed everyone, then barricaded.

https://twitter.com/BillFOXLA/status/1529498346565533697?t=jNaaG2vaJzxDeqaElk7LqA&s=19

So in other words, very ineffective.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Good on Beto, even if it was a stunt.

They are the sick sons of bitches, not him. By the way: NRA convention is in Texas next week, sure you can't guess what Governor is showing up there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

It's starting to sound like there's shared responsibility for the death in that classroom.

Its almost like the cops are useless or something

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1066476196534411268?s=20&t=8Tttdjla2h-5KPijR1KGqA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

TBF, "no reduced crime" may just be because the SROs are busting kids for dress code violations.

Yes, most SROs are just used as a way to punish kids rather than helping anyone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529852946254643203?t=xIGyXoDuTdUmHe66g7PzYA&s=19

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1529852949060534273?t=3MdaAhLIuTjflhdqnuodxQ&s=19

Wouldn't shock me if their SWAT team wasn't even called! The 40-minute gap is still a huge question - the cops very well might've noticed he was in the now-locked classroom, posted themselves outside, then absolutely everyone developed a severe case of the chickenshits. Then cloaked it like a hostage situation with the cops keeping parents away in the parking lot!

They very much likely did the same thing they do during all mass shootings: Hide and worry about their own skin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

The only thing that I'll say in the cops favor in this case (because they absolutely hosed up in the worst possible way in everything else) is them keeping the parents away. That's scene security. If there's that many cops at the location, they have more than enough engaged already or staging for an assault. Letting anyone get onto a still very active scene with a gunman still alive is bonkers. Adding armed and unarmed parents to the mix letting them run into the scene, and poo poo goes sideways really quick. We also don't even know if this video was recorded after the gunman was down and they needed to keep people away so they wouldn't mess up all of the evidence in what turned from an active scene into a crime scene.

That said, the parent's reactions are 100% justified. The cops would have to physically hold me back, too, cuz I'd want to rush in to save my kid, too.

Everything else in the police response is, IMO, a complete failure and indefensible. So please don't dogpile on me or tell me to kill myself for saying what I said in the above paragraph. I can assure you my brain tells me that more in a day than you ever could so leave that poo poo out.

This is gonna be a lengthy investigation. Due to the horrific nature of the crime and the well deserved public outrage against the police, I think that we'll get all of the minute details and exact sequence of events as investigators gather evidence and pinpoint what exactly happened. As we can already see, there's like 5 versions of events that happened according to initial reports. Unfortunately we have to wait a while for the facts.

No, I don't buy this. They tell mass shooting victims to fight back with anything, but these guys held parents back while they spent 40 minutes twiddling their thumbs.

Scene security is a poor excuse. Scene security was just an excuse to not get into the firing line.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

well good because that's a stupid as hell opinion

SROs are an absolute waste of money and time. There's no evidence adding SROs makes anyone secure and they are directly involved in criminalizing and penalizing at risk students and getting the School to Prison pipeline going faster, including hitting kids with fines that they have to go to court for. Children having fines levied against them at loving school.

Worth noting this VERY SCHOOL just dumped a bunch of money into hardening the school's security. And it did nothing to stop this.

EDIT: Yeah you probably meant the abolish public school part, my mistake.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 26, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lightpole posted:

I'm not even going to bother going out on a limb and just assume he meant the abolishing public schooling.

Ah, yeah that part is stupid. That's a safe limb to go out on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Also: Public school is a GOOD thing. We don't have a true Public School system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

A universal education system that teaches history, finance, science, civic responsibility, critical thinking, etc. Is absolutely necessary. The thing we have that is called a public education does very little of that and is one of this society's evils.

maffew buildings posted:

not a public policy genius but that's pretty goddamn far down the list of societal evils at the moment

This. Find a better target than Public Education, like say the GOP actively undermining it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s 3 out of 3 for one of our high school security guards. The first one is what finally got him fired.

I forget the article, but there was one showing that a lot of SROs are Cops the department doesn't want on patrol for exactly reasons like this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I had that feeling too, which makes Hicktown PD's actions even more reprehensible. They should have been trying to shoot or ripping the window over or hell crawling in.

Yeah, the fact that they didn't task some people to try to either bust down the door or break through a winder is sheer madness. They just....let the shooter do what he came to do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

At the very, very least.

Out of a canon. Into the moon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MyCancerJourne3/status/1529933105359753218?s=20&t=g1SBlqBU1Oj42kFNUFpHlg

https://twitter.com/MyCancerJourne3/status/1529933108182515713?s=20&t=g1SBlqBU1Oj42kFNUFpHlg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

19 kids died probably directly due to the inaction of police officers.

This isn’t about you.

But them suiciding themselves is also not justice.