Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

FTFY, because in the past couple expansions (especially Shadowlands), Blizzard has put more and more of the important storylines in the book rather than, y'know, the game itself.
Or they put it in the game as a launch event for an expansion and then delete it a few weeks later so if somebody resubscribes and starts playing om day 1, they're left really confused!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

The sith protoss (specifically Alarak) are the best thing about LotV imo

I can't help but interpret their portrayal in Covert Ops as a retaliation against people ignoring all of LotV's big epic heroes chosen by destiny or whatever in favour of a side character.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

As for my joke about Lothar and this fellow named Uther Lightbringer being lovers? There is not, of course, anything to suggest that either Anduin Lothar or Uther Lightbringer is queer, but by the same measure, there’s nothing to suggest that they’re not. Both men lived long and accomplished lives, and without ever marrying, having children, or even dating as far as the lore has ever established. Am I inventing a Turkish bathhouse where none exists? Probably. There’s just as much evidence for that, though, as there is for positing that there’s a dog who isn’t barking. So I say, why not?
Tweet it at Danuser and hint that he could retroactively claim credit for having made the most progressive game of 1993.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The side sails on the juggernaut could reasonably assist in turning if it doesn't have a separate axle for each paddle wheel and a weak rudder due to being very wide for it's length, which was a real problem for Novgorod. The upper deck is also too crowded with guns to put up much rigging there and not have to deal with blocking the traverse on the central turrets and/or having to replace everything due to muzzle blast damage after every engagement.

But they're probably on the sides to not obscure the graphical representation of role of the ship from a top down view.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If you want a game representing the medieval era outside western Europe, it's worth revisiting Age of Empires 2, the current development team adores medieval eastern Europe/Caucasus history and they went from just the Mongols and arguably the Huns to also having campaigns for Poland, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Cumans and Tatars in the region since the most recent re-release.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard's designers don't actually know how a bow works and just assume the bowstring is elastic.

The models for bows in wow flex realistically, at least the ones made back when I played did so: https://www.wowhead.com/item=2504/worn-shortbow#modelviewer.

Of course, the 3d modellers in 2003 might not have necessarily communicated that knowledge to the people hired to do big 2d paintings a decade+ later.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Strategy games are probably the hardest games in which to implement granular difficulty to any meaningful degree because they are so deeply systems driven, second only to puzzle games and it's incredibly hard to even quantify what difficulty means for them. The big three RTS series all have bespoke map scripts for each map on each difficulty level and parametrizing those into user operable sliders would be an unenviable task for the designer(and QA staff!)

As an example, here's 15 questions about gold mines that could all make this part of the game either a complete non-issue or a major obstacle.
How many starting resources does the player have? Are there avenues for the enemy to raid the player's economy? What does the enemy send in these raiding parties? When does the enemy send them? Are they coordinated with other attack waves? Do they ramp up over time? With more units or stronger compositions? How many resources are there on the rest of the map? Are they guarded? By what? Are they in defensible positions? Are they in the path of other attack waves? Will the enemy attempt to retake them? With what? Does resource availability push players towards a specific unit composition? How does that composition interact with incoming attack waves? etc...

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I would disagree. Simply add sliders for...

Player Unit Health
Enemy Unit Health
Player Unit Damage
Enemy Unit Damage
Enemy Unit Movement Speed
Player Resource Costs

Bazam, you now have someone with the option to lower their own resource costs to, say, 90% of max, just to give themselves that little edge they need to get past a tough mission without completely trivializing it.

All the actual game dev and complex level design stuff does not need touching.
I don't think you have any real concept of just how much work and thought goes into making outwardly trivial parts of games because what you're proposing is anything but simple in any major strategy game I can think of and would absolutely require major revisions or even full redesigns on both technical and gameplay levels.

Just to pick something from your list at random and how much of a headache it is to actually implement;
Enemies moving at 0.x speed will mess up attack timings so all of those need to be evaluated to make sure there's no situations where two bases that are supposed to send alternating waves end up having arrivals at the same time because one is further away and delayed more. Or the initial attack wave that's supposed to be fought by the player's starting army right after the opening cutscene ends up delayed enough that the player has time to move out and start clearing outposts so the wave hits an undefended base. And perhaps there's an in-game cutscene that expects enemy units to be somewhere at a certain point in time and ends up softlocking the game when they aren't. Bazam indeed.

There's a reason that every strategy game that does numerical difficulty has a tiny handful of known good* presets and the major games with the budget to do so switch to custom scripting per difficulty/map. And it's not because they want to gatekeep people in the gaps between difficulty levels. The existing model of cheat codes that provide specific on-demand advantages to players is the best you're going to see for an RTS in the forseeable future.

*may or may not actually be any good on higher difficulties because high skill players for games that aren't even out yet aren't exactly common so small studios can end up with none on their QA staff.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

There is one very granular change you can comfortably make and indeed games in this era did offer (including WC2 I think?) - simulation speed. By universally slowing down everything you don't impact any of the balance, but you do give the player much more time to think about their plans and react to things happening. It's also a very straightforward choice between a more difficult game and a more boring one, since you're also waiting longer for everything to happen, which isn't ideal but is a very reasonable concession to make.
Overall game speed settings are fairly standard across the genre for everything that isn't MP-only(and even then it can usually be set in lobby), it's slowing down a specific set of units that's a massive can of worms from a design perspective.

Running the whole game in slow motion does indeed run into the problem of it making everything but micro-intensive fights incredibly boring. IIRC it was one of the Gemcraft devblogs where it was mentioned that the players that shared their metrics had played about 70% of the game on normal, 30% on fast forward and <1% on slow motion.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Also with regards to your issues with BtDP "not being the game's fault," I kind of think that they absolutely are. In my memory most RTS expansions from this era very much catered to the "elite" players who wanted to test their skill, often with blatantly unfair setups. So while yeah, some things are a product of the time, like the missions being same-ish because there's stuff the engine can't handle, I think a lot of the bullshit was absolutely part of the design document.
Beyond the Dark Portal is only the second expansion to an RTS game and was developed before the first one came out, releasing only a month after Command & Conquer: The Covert Operations. Balancing in RTS games was very much unexplored territory at the time, nobody was "catering" to anybody. If there was any thought put into it at all, it would've been an assumption that since the story continued where the base game left off, perhaps the difficulty curve should too.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

For reasons unknown to me, murlocs have become wildly popular with the fanbase of WoW to the point of becoming something of a mascot for the franchise. There is so much murloc merchandise, and they keep turning up in silly places like an alternate timeline where murlocs became Azeroth's dominant lifeform.

I don't get it.
They're in the human starting zone so they're seen by a high percentage of the game's population, and the first fantasy creature encountered there that's specific to Warcraft instead of being a D&D import like the (also popular) Gnolls.

They also appear often in mechanical discussions as a result of being a bit of an early game difficulty spike due to the density of their camps, bunched up against the shoreline where a single murloc fleeing at 20% health can easily aggro the rest. Their abilities also trend towards frost magic for their casters and hunter/rogue poisons for their melee fighters, which means a lot of slows and freezes, making it hard to both prevent and escape an aggro cascade, which is associated with their distinctive aggro noise.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

My favorite part about that stupidity was that at that point WoW had had an actual race of fully mechanical gnomes that were fairly popular and had been around for god knows how long since Wrath(I think?).

But uh, I guess the people running things really wanted to prove they could do it better? Or something? Like, I'm trying really hard to come up with any explanation other than raw spite brought on by customer interaction, but somebody at Blizzard had to actually believe this was a good idea.
Based on Blizzard's continuous response of "no, there are not enough high elves to be the new Alliance race", followed by "whoops, with their schism into the Void Elves, there's not enough of them left to be an allied race either :smug:", it's definitely spite.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

What I wanted was an exploration of the story of the night elves, following the genocide of their people, Shadowlands' revelations about their goddess, and the struggles of the survivors, described in Blizzard's own short story as being too few in number to continue their civilization.

Failing that I would have accepted an enraged and victorious Alliance burning the Horde to the ground to prevent something like Southshore or Theramore or Teldrassil from ever happening again.

Instead I got cotton candy fluff where everyone acts like things are hunky-dory despite the tens of thousands of people one side murdered over the last ten years, and Blizzard's writers going "See! We put gay people in the game! Do you like us now?"
I don't know what you were expecting here, DF's entire premise is that all the terrible ideas from BFA and SL are getting memory holed in favour of Pandaria 2.0 and that's exactly what you got?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It is within Blizzard's power to change this. They could tell an actual story about coping with loss and the struggle to move on. They could tell a story of catharsis and the world putting meaningful measures in place to shackle the warmaking capabilities of the side with a long history of atrocity. They could use any of the many plot devices on their shelf to declare events so abhorrent that they must be prevented. They could tell a story about the people of Azeroth coming to recognizing the signs of these things starting again and this time moving as one to put an end to it before a new catastrophe happens, with some honest and painful self-reflection from the cast.
Even if the current writers were capable of this(which I believe they're not), this would just be throwing good writing after bad. The last few iterations of the faction war are never going to get any less stupid no matter how many words are written about fantasy Nuremburg Trials happening after and the audience at large is well and truly sick of hearing about the entire concept while responding positively to the writers changing gears to something lighthearted, which they're clearly much better at than serious subjects.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
As of two weeks ago, the time that the BFA prepatch event has been removed from the game is a hundred times longer than the three weeks that it existed. I think it's time to let go of that grudge over it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nobody stays dead in WoW. Or I mean some stay dead, but still get to interact with the world and such.

Is there anyone important who died in WC1/2/3 that hasn't come back in some way in WoW? Maybe Daelin Proudmoore?
He shows up as a ghost in one of the Warbringer short videos from around the launch of BfA.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the most fascinating part is that Blizzard (and WoW in specific) are no strangers to "well that was a dumb idea, never mind, please forget we set that up, thanks"

hey remember that entire zone full of an ancient civilization that has endured since the Before Times, keepers of secrets beyond Azerothi comprehension, who cease being story relevant the instant you hit the level cap

no not that one the other one

no not that one the OTHER other one

they could just choose to not bring it back up! that's an option! one they are very familiar with!

I believe a part of it is that some ideas ended up being so bad, such as the elf genocide, the three(?) instances of dragon rape dungeons or pygmies that keep getting brought up in contexts of "what were they thinking?!?!?!" that writers feel like they should do something about it while not having the skills and sensitivity to handle any of those topics, so they just end up sticking both their feet into their mouth once more.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Alkydere posted:

It will never not be funny for me that in Azeroth many guns have bayonet axes. I understand it's part of the cartoony aesthetic that WCIII/WoW leaned into (and are honestly at their best when they lean into it) but there are so many gun models in WoW that have bayonet axes and the Heroes of the Storm rifleman has one.

I think there's even a few bayonet scythes in WoW.
I'd imagine it has something to do with gun models sticking out too far in front of the character if they had a regular bayonet.

There's a few attempts at it like the Wolfslayer Sniper Rifle from TBC but even with the bayonet mount 2/3rds of the way along the barrel instead of at the muzzle, it ends up being quite a long boi:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find naga in a landlocked lake.
They'll show up at Lordamere Lake at some point.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Medivh might've been coming from a position where the Guardian taking thirty seconds off their super important apocalypse-preventing work to deliver some basic instructions along the lines of "big stuff happening in the background, I need all of you to pack your poo poo and get on a boat, quick" would've been seen as an immediate cause to action.

Aegwynn's name used to carry enough weight that she could return from being missing for centuries, hand king Landen Wrynn a baby with the news that she had seduced his court mage and got him to sire her heir for Guardian reasons, his name's Medivh, he's to be raised in Stormwind under the tutelage of his dad, that he will be the new Guardian once he's an adult, and have those orders to be followed without questions.

Medivh's problem here is that the office of the Guardian has lost a lot of it's standing since the time his mother magically imprinted all knowledge of his job into his mind, and all of that happened while he was in a coma and/or possessed so he might not have internalized that he can't roll up to monarchs and tell them what to do any more.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm fairly sure that's Zul'Aman:
-Pine trees
-Grey/blue buildings
-Big palisade gate
-Those stone claw... things?

Last one looks like it might be from the Azshara Warbringer short too.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ChaosDragon posted:

Who had the time and opportunity to bury Terenas?
I'd imagine that with how much trouble just one undead royal is causing, the court probably expedited his cremation an interment into some sort of stasis vessel to prevent him from getting up.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The narrative in the undead campaign feels a bit dull because the Scourge is on the offensive for 7/8 missions and the one time they're not it's by their own choice.

Every single mission is a variation on "the dreadlords have an errand for you":
Arthas, go find the cultists
Arthas, go collect the dead necromancer
Arthas, go resurrect the necromancer(x3)
Arthas, go talk to your boss' boss
Arthas, go find the manual to summon your boss' boss
Arthas, go summon your boss' boss

It would've been nice if there was SOMETHING with higher stakes than Tichondrius whining that you're too slow(which he does anyway).

Personally, I'd do a little more with the rift between the Legion and the Lich King, have a mission or two where the Scourge works towards their own goals when the dreadlords aren't looking, possibly subbing it in for one of the elf missions and have there be some kind of credible threat against the Scourge like reworking the Ashbringer timeline a bit into Mograine showing up to avenge Uther with his sword that can actually permanently kill the undead leadership.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The Horde campaign feels a lot closer to the biblical story of Exodus than either the conquests of European colonial powers or the US westward expansion to me.

A prophetic figure leads his persecuted people through over the sea into a new land that some higher power told them would be theirs and promptly gets into a series of wars with other people that already lived there but the main difference is that this time, the newcomers end up on top and become the new dominant power in the region that violently subjugates everybody else.

The tauren design influences are obvious but in my opinion it's too much of a reach to extend their themes to the whole narrative, given that their nemesis have an equally clear design lineage to Mongolians and everybody else being purely Gygaxian and mostly detached from their real world inspirations.

The prologue campaign even explicitly namedrops Exodus in it's title and I'd attribute Thrall's moniker of "green Jesus" more to people knowing precisely one biblical figure even when they're thinking of Moses.

ProfessorCirno posted:

comparing the long and connecting Defias Brotherhood and Onyxia questline with "Kill some boars...for the Horde!" "Ok, now kill some bears...for the Horde!"
The Defias questline is a bit of a strange situation as it was not the original quest that was planned to ship with the game. The initial human questing experience was even more primitive than everybody else owing to it being made first and then re-vamped shortly before release with all the extra tricks picked up during development, leading to it being the most elaborate one in the game... except for the part when it wasn't done when the game shipped, leading to a huge gap after the Deadmines with the orphaned segment of the Missing Diplomat in the middle before it picks back up again at level 60 for the Onyxia's Lair attunement.

Of course, the median wow player played to level 10 or something like that so most people never noticed that the story poofs out of existence for most of the levelling experience.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

NameHurtBrain posted:

It goes back to the lazy 'people are a monolith' trope that Blizzard worships ultimately. That there aren't more rear end in a top hat Tauren causing problems is just as lazy writing as them all being chill - and putting the few rear end in a top hat tauren there are in one specific clan of them certainly doesn't help things.
This is projecting problems with the Chronicle books or later WoW expansion that have practically limitless ability to do lore dumps on cultural intricacies or retcon dumb poo poo that stopped being acceptable in the meantime but choose not to and/or stick their feet in their mouths instead, onto Warcraft III, a game that was barely finished in time as is.

Ethic groups in this game are monolithic because the amount of screen time is already cramped with a strictly enforced limit of between zero and one culture per set of models. There are 8 maps per campaign with about 300 words of spoken dialogue in each one, which is shared with the main plot and stuff like characters calling out attack waves. As a result, most extraneous world building is going to get shunted off to the manual, tie-in books or design docs for future games and fall afoul of "show, don't tell".

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Not my problem. Blizzard made their choices, and the knock-on effects are a result of their choices. My purpose with this LP is to present and criticize the end product that Blizzard created. If someone at Blizzard doesn't like what they're seeing here, everything about Warcraft is within Blizzard's power to change if they wish it. Blizzard could have fixed many of these issues with Reforged, and they chose not to (I do mean Blizzard at large, not Reforged's team specifically).

Every word I've set about Warcraft is subject to change, if Blizzard wishes it. They can fix things if they want to. Whether or not they choose to do so is their lookout.

As it is, the next update may be delayed. The game's suddenly having some severe graphics bugs that I'm working to diagnose and fix.
Deliberately ignoring the context in which the original Warcraft III was made does make it your problem though. Writing choices in 2020 don't happen in a vacuum, they are informed by writing choices in the original game from 2002 and those were in turn, informed by the realities of game development around that time. The current Blizzard model of unaccountable rockstar creative leads and executives decreeing a plot and setting that the rest of the game is to be designed around did not start happening until 2008-2010, half a decade after development on Warcraft III ceased.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

I personally think there's a lot of interesting push-and-pull in the question of context, especially for long-running legacy franchises and brands. It's 100% worth critiquing things that are gross or horrible even if they were normal for their time, but there is also some merit in acknowledging intent, like if what was written was awful by our standards but was an earnest attempt at being progressive from the writer's perspective. There is equal merit in applying a read that deliberately refuses to acknowledge intent, to apply the personal lens and see how a narrative might resonate with a group that it wasn't intended for. And there's merit in speculating about intent when said intent is an unknown
The issue with examining videogame writing as one would do with literature is that for a book, the words on the page represents nearly 100% of the effort behind it, or maybe 90% if you've got an especially proactive and involved editor. For videogames though, the ratios are reversed.

Diablo 4, the most recent Blizzard release, has 9169 people listed in the credits, of which only twelve are credited as either narrative lead, writer or creative development writer. I'll be ignoring the two technical writers as technical writing means things like installation booklets that have no bearing on the narrative. Even assuming the most generous working environment where everybody puts in the exact same hours and no such thing as continuous 80 hour crunch in the QA departments(as if...) , the game's writing represents 0.13% of the total development effort.

The most up to date version of Dragonflight's credits that I could find show a writer's room of one lead narrative designer, seven narrative designers, four creative development writers and one lead cinematic narrative designer but nobody has tallied up the total number so I can't give an exact ratio.

For comparison, Disco Elysium is a famously wordy game, with a full 6 out of it's 271 listed contributors doing the writing, about 2.2%. They're still outnumbered more than 5 to 1 by their 33 playtesters alone.

As such, I see analyses that treat the rest of the development team as purely as extensions of the writers to be misguided at best and dehumanizing towards everybody else on the team at worst. A great many ideas that sound clever on paper end up not being practical to implement, hard to balance, taking too much time and effort to implement within a release deadline, leading to all kinds of compromises to be made, in both gameplay and story. Of the part of the game that's been shown in the LP, I'd like to point out the fourth undead map as fairly obvious filler standing in for an idea that either never materialized or was cut. Did Metzen originally intend for 1/8th of the undead campaign's story to be nothing but Arthas grumbling about elven resilience, something that also happens in both the levels before and after it? Clearly not, but there was a gap in the map list that needed filling urgently and no time or resources for coming up with something better.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yyyep

one of those interesting cases where it's partially technical in nature, though. i fondly recall someone new to video games playing... it was either skyrim or one of the fallouts, stealing everything from an old lady for kicks, and proceeding to lose her poo poo giggling at the fact that the old lady was a 20something with a bangin' bod from the neck down. because hey, why would we bother making a different body type just for old ladies, right?

but, since bosses can justify the dev time for one-off models (mostly, yes, they do tend to get reused from time to time), there and there alone they get to play around with body types. putting together another entire set of every armor set in the game for fat people? pain in the rear end! best compromise you're going to get there is Elden Ring style "this armor makes you fat, don't worry about it." but when you're brainstorming a way to make Arc Boss #372 stand out, "what if they were fat as hell" is a quick and easy way to do that thanks to the fact everyone else in the universe caps out at "maybe not underweight"
Fat bosses are also a good way to let you get more of the boss model on the player's (generally horizontally oriented) screens if you're making them huge, as Blizzard tends to do. Another similar shortcut(pun semi-intended) that returns a lot in WoW is to just remove the lower half of an otherwise excessively tall boss and let players fight their upper torso.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

The only possible issue is if somehow an Orc time travelled back to the War of the Ancients and allied with them so they would know that these are Orcs and not the first wave of a new demonic invasion force.
I don't think Knaak had started working on the War of the Ancients books during the development of Reign of Chaos so this would've been a chronological anomaly in more ways than one.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

To bring things back around to Warcraft, I'm surprised at how disappointed I am with the campaign from an RTS perspective in retrospect. Starcraft has 3 factions, and you go up against your own faction and the other two factions during the course of each respective campaign. Warcraft 3 doesn't do a good job of this - the human campaign never interacts with the night elves, and really only fights the Scourge. The Scourge fights humans, similarly. The Orcs are fighting humans and night elves. And we have yet to see who the night elves fight.

Combined with the tech gating, the campaign is doing a very poor job of teaching the player to play the game. Part of that is that it requires so many more missions to properly tutorialize a faction and then also provide full tech tree fights up against 4 factions (mirror matches are important!).
The lack of mirror matches seems like a deliberate choice in Reign of Chaos - there's precisely one of them coming up and that one goes out of it's way to change up the roster significantly.

As for fighting the other factions and acting as an MP tutorial, going from 3 to 4 factions is what messed this one up. the Grom maps are clear late additions too; they're fairly plain in terms of layout and looks, the one we've just seen is one of the most basic ones possible in terms of objectives and the one coming up is almost a direct copy of a map we've seen before. If these had been vs undead, all 3 factions would've faced each other. The need for a 4th campaign likewise forced the remaining three to be truncated in order to meet the shipping date and that meant there's much less space for units to be introduced in places where they make sense (or be introduced at all in one case).

Another factor is that Warcraft 3 has oodles of scrapped faction concepts hanging around as creeps and they end up taking up a good deal of screen time too. Thrall so far has fought Humans in Prologue 2 and 3, and Orc 3 but creeps in Prologue 1, 4*, 5 and Orc 1 and 2.

*there's a handful of hostile Footmen but it's very much not a vs Humans map.

anilEhilated posted:

That being said, WC3 is a poo poo strategy game. Units are only really relevant as damage/armor type counters and all the tactics ultimately devolves into smacking your blob of unit into the opponents'.

(I'm fairly sure I already said that here but it bears repeating - WC3 has absolutely nothing to do with strategy; multiplayer matches are extremely gamified contests of "who can creep faster" and "who can micro better"). Also why pro WC3 is incredibly boring to watch.
This isn't anything to do with WC3, any old game with a mostly solved meta will eventually converge on contests of who can perform the known optimal strategies the best.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The Horde campaign's overabundance of dungeon missions is most likely a consequence of their original campaign set in Lordearon's outskirts being scrapped fairly late; dungeon missions are a lot quicker to develop and test than base building missions. This mission, and the one before it that's a stripped down version of Orc 3 with Grom's and half the human bases missing bear the strongest evidence of being extremely late additions; being absent from World of Warcraft.

Warcraft 3 and WoW were developed concurrently and have for the most part attempted to keep some form of parity in terms of locations depicted(albeit often heavily reworked and/or scrapped during WoW's development) until the end of Reign of Chaos, until it diverged somewhat when some of the The Frozen Throne campaigns began adding a bunch of new places that wouldn't begin appearing to WoW until later expansion.

Nothing of the sort is present here however, the name "Stonetalon" is most likely is a holdover of the scrapped concept these missions replaced as it does appear in WoW, but they evidently weren't far along in development because the WoW zone is almost completely devoid of notable quests, personalities or landmarks.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

life_source posted:

Compare that to his interaction with Antonidas here where he presumably WAS explaining everything and Antonidas still decided that his combination of weird smells (powerful magic, bad magic, wet feathers) didn't warrant consideration.
The wiki is a bit hazy on whether the story about the Guardian's role was decided on before the WC3 human campaign was made but the presence of Atiesh as a cut item icon in the game assets makes me believe it was.

If so, there's no reason for Medivh to try and hide his identity to Antonidas who can just recognize him by his badge of office, if he wasn't already familiar with him from knowing Nielas Aran and the events of the First War.

This would also make it entirely reasonable for him to consider the possibility that Medivh is still possessed and that anything he says might be Legion disinformation.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Last Guardian was published in 2001 and WC3 was released in 2002.
I've seen a lot more places list it as 2002 than 2001 so I believe the latter is an error. Even so, unlike the Orc campaign that ended up shipping, the Human campaign wasn't made at the last minute so you'd have to take that into account when it comes to development chronology too.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This mission is a bit of a peculiarity because Reign of Chaos goes out of it's way to avoid mirror matches and this is the closest to it there is; Orcs vs the partially developed and eventually scrapped Chaos Orcs + a few Burning Legion units because Chaos Orcs never got their Tier 3 stuff.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

But here's the thing - this storyline for all its flaws WAS largely beloved for its time, and I think it's the "time" part that gets left out here. For as bad as this was, this was still a much more complex storyline then, well, just about anything involving "orcs" had happened before. Grom and Thrall's storyline is basic, but as we've been saying, there's enough there that people could really run with it. The storyline of a "damned" and formerly evil people trying to find a home for themselves is one that pretty clearly resonates with a lot of people. This is where I think bringing up WoW too much is the wrong tack to take - you completely get blinded by how popular this was and why it was popular. Yeah WoW sucks poo poo, but WoW doesn't exist yet. It's 2002, every adult in your life has gone absolutely loving insane with bloodlust over 9/11, and here you have a story that is, extremely clumsily, saying that no, nobody is inherently evil, even the orcs that up to this point were in fact just mindless baddies to grind through. Also, the game is saying whole heartedly that it's good that an imprisoned people fought violently against their captors and took their freedom not because it was kindly given to them, but because they TOOK it. Also those people are very consciously non-white coded. That's an important lesson!
In addition to this this excellent analysis, another major reason why Reign of Chaos was praised for it's story when it came out was because for most people only aware of a handful of major releases, it was the only RTS to have a character driven story at all. From the others of the big three 90's big three RTS franchises, Age of Mythology and Command & Conquer: Generals were both a few months away. The former had a cast of colourful personalities and provided a somewhat cohesive plot to string it's thirty-something campaign maps together but it didn't really try to do character arcs or development. The latter vaguely gestured to CNN and said "there's your story".

Now that I think about it, Reign of Chaos' utter aversion to mirror matches might've been something of a reaction to Age of Mythology having 25 of them. We know from early marketing blurbs that there was supposed to be a civil war in the Alliance originally but that entire plot has been scrapped in favour of the Scourge/Arthas stuff and the Old Horde vs New Horde was compressed into a single mission where the Old Horde doesn't even use the main Orc roster.

e: had chronology here a bit messed up in my head.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 20, 2023

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Age of Mythology came out at about the same time as Warcraft 3, if not a little later.
Indeed it did, it turns out I had the July 2002 vs November 2002 release dates swapped in my head for some reasons and Blizzard decided on no mirror matches at all on their own accord it.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 20, 2023

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Kith posted:

the "making poo poo up as we go along" method of storytelling didn't start until way later in WoW's lifecycle. i want to say that by the time of frozen throne, blizzard had up to cataclysm planned out and the broad strokes of mists ready to be filled in
Blizzard might've had ideas for various expansion settings but I don't see a reason to believe they had planned out for the continuation of the setting's overarching plot to happen then.

Personally, I put the dividing line between WoW as a static image of Azeroth as it is post-Frozen Throne with each quest line in it's own little pocket continuity as it was originally designed in tandem with WC3 and WoW as a continuation of the story replacing a theoretical Warcraft 4 at the (simultaneously developed) patches 2.4 and 3.0.

Earlier world events to celebrate a new raid(or in 2.0's case, a new continent) such as the war of the shifting sands and the scourge invasion generally didn't change the status quo of the overall setting besides activating a new instance portal somewhere. They could theoretically all happen in any order of each other without leading to major continuity clashes.

Magister's Terrace and Naxxramas 10-25 changed all that with their built-in premise of being incompatible with a world state where Tempest Keep and Naxxramas 40 were still ongoing concerns. Magister's Terrace was also a blatant last minute rear end pull that everybody immediately saw though at the time so I highly doubt it was part of any TFT era design document beyond high level bullet points listing Quel Thalas as potential future expansion content.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Beats having to put actual effort into it. :v:

I am, and always have been, completely serious when I've noted that if anyone who's good at RTS wants to LP this series legit and put these games through their paces, I'd read/watch that LP.

Though I personally would not recommend actually buying these games.

Jayborino is a fairly good player who goes through the campaign on hard on patch 1.31, the last version version before Reforged messed everything up.

GiantGrantGames has been linked here before, he is probably the most knowledgeable person in the world for the mechanical side of Blizzard campaigns and completed the Reforged campaigs(as well as all the Starcraft 2 campaigns) without losing a unit. Prodigious quantities of cheese involved.

Grubby is a former world champion Warcraft 3 esports player that played through Reforged on release. There's a lot of THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESUB twitch vod cruft but this is probably the most APM/micro anyone is going to do in a single player campaign for a two decades old game.

Needless to say, spoilers abound for TFT in all these playlists. They all skip over the Horde campaign because that's mostly a showcase of all the revolutionary(for 2003) new possibilities in the enhanced editor with the actual gameplay consisting mostly of A-moving a hero squad in the direction of the quest marker.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

I know you probably aren't interested in searching the map, but the Night Elf campaign has a lot of goodies to reward exploration with Maiev's Blink, at least for the first four missions.
Whoever designed the terrain for the first few TFT missions absolutely adored the Blink ability. There's loot to grab EVERYWHERE, especially the Broken Isles maps.

Such a stark contrast to Starcraft 2 where Zeratul and Protoss Stalkers have the same ability but it never gets used for anything but teleporting over holes in terrain as pseudo checkpoints in fixed force missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Stalker blink is really important in multiplayer and involves predicting enemy movement; I'd say that is a pretty good use.
True, but SC2 has a considerably divergence between campaign, coop and multiplayer design so I consider Stalker micro in MP to be somewhat of a separate entity from campaign map layouts.

Feldegast42 posted:

To my knowledge this is the first appearance of a blink skill in an RTS (keep in mind this campaign obviously came out before DOTA and League) and they obviously had a lot of fun hiding goodies everywhere.
I think this depends on how tight your definition of blink is. Does it need to be called blink? If not, there's the Chrono Tank from Red Alert Aftermath in 1997.