Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The best thing I ever got from Costco was some chocolate covered marshmallows.

Dude, this but the chocolate covered MANGOS, holy sheit they are evil. I have a pretty healthy/normal appetite but if you put a bag of those mangos in front of me, they're gonna be gone in like 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thread friends, I hope you will hear my candid confession of an act, neigh, a desecration before Lord Kirkland, done in his very kingdom of Seattle, no less, on holy ground :(

It's been gnawing at my soul since christmas.

It is with great shame that I inform you that my wife, with good intentions, bought the giant serrano ham. She had no plan or understanding of this ham besides the fact that I had ogled its serene and gentle curves a fortnite before.

We live alone- well, we have a few cats; and to my great shame, I wasted most of the ham. I am a fantastic cook but I just had no idea how to use the thing. It sat in our garage, a symbol of my failure and her indulgence, for two months before I ultimately owned up to my sin and tossed it out (Seattle at the time was like 19 degrees so it was basically in a freezer, and kept fine that whole time).

I have no real aim here except to throw myself at the mercy of our Lord Kirkland, under him we shall never want- and lo these many days without polish nor onion dispenser, I must defer to his great wisdom that as we simply did not deserve the splendor of onion, we are derived of sin and can only beg for repentance.

May He forgive my sin :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Chunderbucket posted:

Just return it three years later in a thousand slices

Holy poo poo lol. See, this is why I don't make the big bucks. I'm not an idea man.

I've seen a couple of super boner returns over the years...

Once someone returned a dirty toilet. Like, there was poop on the toilet, and the lady was in line, with the poop toilet(???) I have no idea how that resolved ultimately but wtf. The employees were just sitting there staring at it. No one really wanted to make a first move.

Another time I was at Costco about 2 weeks after Christmas (this was years ago and unrelated to the serrano ham incident of winter 2023) and someone was, on my life, returning a loving christmas tree that was just... like... naturally dead. I'm 99% sure she got the return.

I feel like if you truly abuse the return policy like that, Costco should just accept the return but also return that year's membership fees and ban you. I'm cool with 95% of what people return but so many people regularly take advantage of the system. I've seen other minor poo poo like worn out clothes... just like, old appliances (???) that they clearly wanted to replace. gently caress those people.

Clearly costco accepts the hit with returns because it's something they're known for, but I'll bet they lose an absurd amount of money this way. Back in the day you could even return COMPUTERS this way once they were obsolete, but now they have a pretty blanket policy about not allowing returns of that class.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Pan-toasted is the way for flour.

Also acceptable for corn if you can't do the burner hack

For some reason getting older has made me think a lot more about this kind of poo poo. This is a great hack. The poo poo that brings you joy as you age, man.

An equally good one is steaming leftover pizza that's been in the fridge with water in a pan and a lid on, then taking the lid off and finishing the bottom. This produces a leftover slice that is almost better than the fresh pizza. It's ridiculous.

(not that this is some hidden art, but I've been surprised a lot by people who just toss leftover pizza in the microwave or eat it cold)

e:

Alan Smithee posted:

i remember when our local costco used to be price club

idk if they had hot dogs or pizza

I'm not quite old enough for Price Club but my mom was part of the OG business card crew where they would let you in a full hour early, and have a full spread with breakfast muffins, danishes, and coffee for you to grab and enjoy a quick meal while you shopped. That was basically magical to me as a kid, and really brings home how lovely everything is now. We went from free breakfast to not even being adult enough to - apparently - have onions.

If given the opportunity I would battle the shareholders in recklessly violent thunderdome-style combat. Bring back the goodies, you loving cowards.

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 10, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dick Fontaine posted:

gently caress yes, get you one of those 14” Winco Carbon Steel Woks

They are crazy legit. Straight up what they use at Chinese restaurants. Only like $15 or something at the business center.

It’s a curved one so depending on your setup you may need to get a wok mon or butane stove but it’s so worth it. A real joy to cook with.

We have a business center in Seattle too but I've never been. What's worthwhile there? What else is worthwhile there for non-businesses?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

bizwank posted:

Where at? I'm not seeing it on their map/list of locations...

Er i mean its in Lynwood. Seattle adjacent?

Thanks for the tips Beast!

I am actually posting from the Co in lake stevens right now i got new tires and my dudes they are taking loving forever mate. I spent $500 just like buying poo poo im so bored help

They had a giant jar of black truffles with a truffle shaver for $19 on clearance so i got one 🤨

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 21, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hoooly poo poo this just unlocked a core memory I had totally forgotten.

In middle school I had a strong crush on one particular girl at school. We went to a pretty small school on the outskirts of the bay area that only had a few hundred people per class.

I was in the Maui Costco warehouse when I saw this exact girl- I think at that point we were both in Junior High. That was wild.

Man idk how I forgot about that. Costco provides.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yo the chinese pork Costco carries is so good, if you cook Chinese food. You should, it is very good and healthy! Even if you don't do chinese food, it's amazing for almost any scenario.

It's never been a better time to learn how to cook, and Costco is really the backbone of allowing that in modern times as long as you're careful about not being wasteful. Items that own to buy at Costco for home cooking include:

1) Rotisserie Chickens to be used in other dishes, and also to make chicken stock. Probably the best deal in food, period, anywhere.

2) Staples like heads of garlic, onions of various types (we keep red, yellow, white and sweet onions on hand in the garage where they keep forever). This also enables the creation of french onion soup at any time, which is an enormous plus.

3) Certain raw and processed meats - chicken thighs, chinese pork, high grade shrimp (peep the ones in the big white boxes they are insane) but a key point here is Costco has two major kinds of sales. They have the coupon book sale which is ok, but it's not often that the coupon book has sales on staple food items. It's more like... processed stuff, which is fine but not if you're trying to eat well and also somewhat cheaply.

What you're actually looking for is the secondary coupons that come out in between the big books. These are often more modest, which makes people less interested, but this is what you really want because they include $1-2 discounts on various Costco brand staple foods that are already a good deal. Then on top of that, they tend to rotate "take $4 a package of X protein". Those own because if you snipe the smallest packages you can save even more, and this is where a chest freezer comes in. Idk how people survive without a chest freezer these days, but freezing the rotating Costco proteins in bulk is really a main cornerstone of doing staples at Costco.

4) Veggies that can be used quickly and/or keep well, and are a great price vs. the supermarket, see: Shiitakes, cotton candy grapes, heads of romaine lettuce, baby cucumbers, sugar snap peas, brocolli, etc.

For example my wife is in healthcare and I'm a wfh tech guy, so I tend to manage the food while she is in charge of hitting the store on the way home if I need anything. One thing I always keep on hand for emergencies is frozen pizza, but we make our own.

Making your own frozen pizza/sauce means you're controlling the health and quality of the ingredients, and is completely delicious when re-heated using the "steam in a pan with the lid on then crisp the bottom" method. I use ingredients entirely from Costco and my cost basis ends up being insanely low. It's insane how cheap pizza is to make and how easy it ultimately is to do. I recommend a pizza steel.

Anyways this post is getting out of hand but I don't think people talk enough about exactly how to eat healthy and cheaply from Costco. I argue this is one of the only consistently repeatable ways to eat super high quality food on the cheap.

Honestly if you're not actively working on your cooking skills right now you are going to get eaten alive. Processed food has never been shittier and never been more expensive. We all have to take control of our food, now, not later imo.

I live alone with my wife, and since we don't want kids we have literally spent 15 years perfecting how to buy things from Costco for 2 people and not wasting much. It was useful then but it's loving essential now, and it's the only thing keeping our food bills reasonable without downgrading the quality of our food intake in 2023. AMA on this useful skill

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 14, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It even comes with spicy chinese mustard and sesame seeds so even just heating it up and eating slices of it OWNS

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 14, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

:chef:

No specific pic but I can guarantee you it looks a lot like this other similar dish I did recently:

But Costco is dope for a lot of east asian stuff:

Bibimbap

Costco is amazing for fresh sushi grade tuna and salmon

Costco ingredients made all of this except for the basil:

Costco is the best resource for high quality ingredients out there (as of this writing at least). It's loving absurd how much food is being gouged right now. It should be illegal. There should be a maximum margin that you can make on food and you are penalized the rest. Btw I believe this is how Costco operates; they take a baseline margin for the stuff they sell. So unless that changed (SHAREHOLDERS!!!!) Costco will in theory continue to be the best deal for high quality base ingredients.

That being said Costco does often specialize in organic food, and if you don't care about that, obviously the asian market in your locale will be a great bet for vegetables and other staples. Costco is still probably better deal for protein though on a quality basis. I love how Choice grade is where Costco starts on their meat totem pole and it just goes up from there.

I have noticed though that red meat is coming down pretty fast at the supermarket; Fred Meyer just ran buy 1 get 1 free tri tips which was like $5.55 a pound or so- meat is a notch or two below Costco but that's tough to beat.

It's been tough world wide, I recently had a conversation with a French dude and he was saying how the bread culture of France is starting to die because high quality loaves and other baked goods are becoming too expensive to buy in quantity. The high quality stuff you associate with the region is becoming more of a special occasion thing. Which made me really sad. If you can't get a decent price quality loaf in France then we're all hosed.

It feels really obvious to me that unless something drastically changes, the entire food structure of the world is changing for the worse. The only way I can think of to keep eating healthy food is to cook it yourself.

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 14, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Normally we don't allow marketers to advertise on SA but since it's Costco I'll make an exception

it's da costco thread baby, understand what we are

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

My best Costco pizza experience remains one time when I went to costco in mexico and they had a loving al pastor pizza. This was years ago.

We got a pizza quasi-recently and I can agree it's not as good, but I like the lower amount of sauce. Overall it feels like they're trying to break even or even make a little cash on the food court, which is worrying.

Just keepin' up with the trend of "everything get worse" babyyyyy

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

suhhhh girl you want some clearance truffles? That is not a colloquialism, I appreciate value mamacita. Oh you noticed I'm a gold member? That ain't the only gold member on deck ifyaknowwhatimsaying.

That's when she brings up the uncomfortable elephant in the room that while she appreciates the economic 1-2 punch of a $1.50 hot dog WITH refill, there is no longer an onion dispenser and the feeling is gone. That's when you slip that snack size ziploc of lukewarm diced onions out your back pocket- bag em and tag em, she never had a chance.

e: btw one time when I was like 12 we went to Costco with my friend John after junior lifeguards and the costco drink machine was pourin straight syrup and we both spent like 2 days drinking an entire large cup of costco lemonade drink syrup. idk how you gently caress up that much that you just connect the syrup hose to the poo poo, so I choose to believe this was some form of intentional civil disobedience against the shareholders.

I'm sure you can imagine though, the thoughts going through the heads of two 12 year olds who just discovered that the button dispenses syrup. We were doing heavy napkin math on starting our own lemonade biz at school.

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 18, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

drat it, the simpsons did it. Even my life.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

smoobles posted:

I bought a $700 Roomba (J8+) from Costco today. He's very smart and an overachiever, he vacuumed my bedroom without me asking. Good find at Costco.

Just fyi for anyone who may care, consumer junk like this- and I say that in the fondest way, I have an i8+ Roomba which is the Costco model without the front camera- has weird product arcs that usually mean you can get something very similar, or the same, for a fraction of the price.

For example, Costco offloaded all of their i8+ onto Ebay late last year for about $300. The J+ models are cool and all but you would be surprised, in practice the camera doesn't add much for most people and there are other benefits to the I8+.

The unit you bought was also $499 within the last month or so as well just to give an example (this may mean nothing to you but maybe someone in the thread would benefit).

If I was dropping 7 bills on a robot vacuum I would get something like this loving awesome refurbished Roborock S7 Max, not a Roomba: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4041935469...e42ddacaef70INT

I have plenty of toy budget for audio stuff, consumer electronics, whatever, but by spending just a few minutes per month setting price alerts on Slickdeals et al and being willing to wait, you can get almost anything you want for about so cheap. Which ultimately just lets you buy way, way nicer poo poo. Consumer products really cater to the top end these days so if you can bring down the price of a premium unit to a midline price range, you're going to see lots of benefits from that.

This is doubly true right now because the consumer economy is just hosed. Haven't seen deals like this in years, and we're not even that far into the recession.

Anyways maybe no one cares, and I wouldn't expect people to research the specifics of robot vacuums like I did, but you can usually spend just like 10 or 15 minutes to plot out a consumer purchase, be willing to wait a month or two, and you're probably getting whatever that thing is for 25-50% off.

If you buy high end consumer stuff like I do (TV/audio stuff, electronics) it really, really adds up :shrug: most of the time I don't comparison shop in this way to save money, but instead to buy the top unit in the stack for a midrange price. For example, a few weeks ago Best Buy clearanced a bunch of KEF audio and Pioneer poo poo for pennies on the dollar, especially if you were willing to do open box (which I was, and it worked out great).

This kind of clearance poo poo is really ramping up in a way that I haven't seen since the glory days of the 2008~ recession so the timing is right if you like your toys and want to put in a second of work for it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Sushi fish is usually always hard frozen.

nahhh mate.

I get what you mean like if you go to an asian market that has hard-marked sushi fish that poo poo is frozen. I feel you.

But 99% of fish is frozen fish that they just let become not-frozen... recently.

Until about 6 months ago I used to live inside of a harbor neighborhood in CA and we would be able to source fresh off the boat bluefin tuna for sushi nights. God that owned, there is nothing like never-frozen fish, and particularly never-frozen bluefin, but you need to be a little careful with the parasites (I've never seen one, and you would know since you're slicing the meat thin, but I would never in a million years eat fresh-sourced salmon for example).

The reality about fish at a store is unless you source that poo poo it's just frozen fish that was unfrozen like... that day or a day ago. I've made literally hundreds of pounds of sushi for house parties, for my wife and I, etc. and we've never felt off about Costco tuna or salmon. The salmon is farmed, but you actually want that; farmed salmon is buttery fatty and delightful.

Also most or all of the tuna that Costco sources is actually quasi-sustainable. It's the expensive poo poo like bluefin that'll get you in trouble with the good lord himself.

Anyways my extremely unclear point is that costco salmon and tuna is good for sushi. But ideally you should learn how to source high quality fish; about 25% of the total fish at costco is "really good" and there are many days we just say "this isn't good, we aren't buying any, and definitely not for sushi purposes". That will take some hard experience though and you will not always pick good fish, it's a learning process like anything worth doing. The upside is even if you take home less than ideal fish, that's fine, just cook it and forget sushi.

Oh also places will straight up loving lie and say there fish is NOT pre-frozen but unless you see that poo poo come in on a boat I'm calling BS so be careful there too.

e: God I'm like the thread Costco sushi guy at this point what has my life become

Taima fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 3, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

AmbientParadox posted:

Yeah I finally had mine tonight. It’s 350 calories which is half the chocolate Sundae.

Also Costco out the melona ice cream bars on sale for $9. Heckuva deal for 24 ice cream bars

Especially true because Melona bars at their typical home in the asian market are expensive as gently caress. I'm pretty sure I saw like, a 4 pack at H Mart for $7 a while ago.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Last time the clerk had no idea the boneless skinless thighs were so cheap.

There were dark times in our house during covid when the chicken thighs were hard to find and then, had a limit usually.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

charliebravo77 posted:

Late to the A5 ribeye chat but I had seen them for a while and bought one for my birthday a few months ago. I did some price checking and it's like 25% the cost vs going to any decent steakhouse around here in Chicagoland for the same amount of meat.

Kind of random but if anyone likes beef this much and might be into travel- if you happen to make it to Tokyo you owe it to yourself to check out Yoroniku which is a super good Yakiniku place in Shibuya district. It's a palace devoted to delicious, delicious meat.

https://omakase.in/en/r/yr300126

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Shredder posted:

going to tokyo over new years, what other good poo poo you got

Ah, ok!

What's your budget like? It doesn't have to be high at all. Tokyo is pretty affordable atm with how amazingly cheap their currency is right now. You chose a fantastic time to go there and I'm super jealous. I will keep it to a few short recommendations in Tokyo and not go more broadly than that because this isn't the thread for it :)

The JPY is 72/1USD which is like 30% better exchange rate when I was there. So if you can swing some higher end experiences, they will never be this cheap, but that goes for everything so you really can't go wrong.

Do you enjoy restaurants and bars with low amounts of seating? That is definitely a thing in Japan, and it can be a really awesome experience, but those places tend to be more expensive since of course they are not enjoying economies of scale.

If so, you could hit up a small seating Omakase joint like Sushisho Masa which only seats a small handful of people:https://www.tableall.com/restaurant/165. But a place like this is all about savoring every moment of a pretty intimate experience (and giving up the ability to order; you are being taken care of and will be served many, many items and you will have say in literally none of it). But the experience of eating at a place like this is, and being taken care of as an honored customer, is inherently Japanese and therefore an experience you will have trouble replicating elsewhere.

Then you have kind of notorious areas like Golden Gai in Shinjuku which is almost entirely populated by hole in the wall bars. Some do not allow foreigners (this is something you'll have to deal with in Japan in general, or you may not experience it at all, but I assure you it's a thing). But despite the how famous the area is and the interesting reputation, the area is insanely fun.

Honestly some of the best times I've had in Tokyo in particular is just going somewhere, getting more and more drunk by ducking into bars and/or casual grills and eating wherever it looks good. The overall food standards of Tokyo are absurdly high; I've yet to have a bad food experience. On top of that food is cheap and amazing. You really can't go wrong.

I will stop because this is not the thread for it but I'm happy for you and you are going to have an unforgettable experience, plus everything is 30% off due to currency differential, not bad.

Oh and onsens, especially since you're there in winter, loving amazing.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 15, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Its mean to make fun of the mentally ill.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Btw my brother went to Costco the other week and they had the Wagyu ground beef (which is 75/25, so good) for $1.30 a pound on manager special. He only bought like 10 pounds, which is an affront to the church. They're even individually wrapped pounds; I would have filled up the chest freezer for sure.

You gotta watch out for the discretionary manager specials on meat product, I think they usually end with a 0, so like 9.40 vs 9.49 (regular pricing) or 9.47 (clearance pricing)

Raluek posted:

personally i do not prefer a drippy burger, so i quite like the costco super lean ground bison. not a very popular opinion, i realize.

The hottest take in the entire thread by a country mile.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 27, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Costco is a double edged sword in my opinion. If you can control yourself when you go in there and just focus on the good deals and loss leaders at the back of the store like the $5 chicken and huge cheap bottles of olive oil you can save a ton of money over a regular grocery store. My wife isn't capable of doing that. She always gets distracted by whatever crap they're hyping towards the front of the store. If it's just me shopping alone I can walk out of Costco spending $100-150. Any time she comes along we spend $500 minimum and 80% of our cart is stuff we probably won't use. One of the times she actually bought the patio furniture they display that's like $700. It's good patio furniture, but I would be just as happy with some cheap plastic chairs or pulling something off the curb on trash day. They need to make horse blinder type things for shopaholic wives at Costco.

Imagining this dude with a cart filled to the top with rotisserie chickens and olive oil, arguing heatedly with his soon to be ex-wife on the way to their parked car that he could have made perfectly good patio chairs out of the asbestos sheets his cousin found at the abandoned steel mill outside of town

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Sloppy posted:

The best part about Costco samples is laughing at the chuds greedily waiting for the mini cheeseburgers or whatever to finish cooking while giving desperate side-eyes like some sort of starving dog to make sure nobody cuts in front of them. All red in the face from their high blood pressure and cholesterol, and blocking the aisle with their cart.

In a reasonable world, taking from the sample carts would activate a trap door. You fall into the endless putrified sea of onions that have been rotting in the basement since they took the crank away.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I recently noticed and grabbed the Isernios Al Pastor (its just packages of raw pastor) and it is very good, high recommend friends. I would say it compares favorably to a decently high quality pastor from a good taqueria. I usually turn up my nose as the prepared meat section but I'm glad I took a chance on this.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

calbruc posted:

Any opinions on dishwashers? Our old and loud Frigidaire won't let me press start anymore, could possibly fix for under $200 or just finally buy a new one.

Got an eye on this Whirlpool one right now https://www.costco.com/whirlpool-to...ID=android7.5.3

We have the stainless steel Kitchenaid and it slaps pretty hard. It also seems to be $400 off right now:

https://www.costco.com/kitchenaid-hidden-control-dishwasher-with-freeflex-third-level-rack-and-led-interior-lighting.product.100573172.html

The controls are hidden on a panel on top of the front panel, and it slides into the top part, so you can't see the controls. That makes the look super clean, and it's really quiet. I'm also impressed with how clean it gets the dishes. Just feels premium too, especially the handle, which is a super heavy steel rod with cnc etching to make it grippy.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 25, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

lamo

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The mid cycle coupon book has sales on kimchi, Kirkland smoked sockeye, and the best deal is probably the $8 off per package of top sirloin steaks.

Meat is in a weird place right now in general; the prices are coming back down, but gradually and in different ways, so you have to be smart about it. Personally we always search for the mid cycle ads (the ones like this that are posted in between big coupon books) as they are the most likely to have meat deals.

An amazing deal a few weeks ago was the blue package of shrimp for $4 off per, and now the top sirloin. We always stock the chest freezer when these deals come up, as it's the only way to include meat in your diet at a reasonable price.

For that reason the chest freezer is probably one of the most important appliances we own. Also if you are close to Frey Meyers, they have been having killer protein deals sometimes. $3.99 a pound choice tri tips a while back, $3.99 a pound sirloins last week. Huge win.

Regular meat protein is definitely back on the menu if you can be smart about it.

Btw, unrelated but I can't believe they have the temerity to sell the polishes still in the meat aisle. The hot dogs suck. Bring back the polishes you fuckers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

They loving changed the rotisserie chickens to $ per pound. I just paid almost $6 for a rotisserie chicken. The loving dream is dead

SHAREHOLDERS !! FIGHT ME

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I mean the gimmick is just that he sous vides it right? That's what a sous vide beef looks like before the outside is treated.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Costco Mexico apparently has Kirkland paella in the fuckin' deli section? :dogbutton:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yo quick fyi, the giant jars of flame roasted 505 green chilis are $4.97 (on clearance) at our local Seattle-area Costco. Could be worth looking- that poo poo is amazing. That is 1.13 kilos (40 oz) of chilis for $4.97

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

StormDrain posted:

They're replacing it with a 32oz version. Source: it came to me in a dream.

Let me guess, smaller, but somehow also more $ per ounce. Shrinkflation, hurray.

Anne Whateley posted:

Did Costco really get rid of the jumbo Better than Bouillon jars? Any chance it’s seasonal? The regular little jars just go so fast when you’re making soup and stuff

I'm gonna be that guy for a second, sorry, but if you're buying rotisserie chickens with any frequency, that is basically a free pot of chicken stock. Well, almost free, you put in some random cheap vegetables like onion, garlic, carrots... but still.

A lot of people think I'm a good cook, for some reason, but one of the main secrets is that I use homemade chicken stock. It is a total game changer. It's easy no matter what (mostly hands off time on the stove top while you live your life) but it's even easier and better if you have an Instant Pot or are willing to use any kind of pressure cooker. There's something about pressure cookers that extract the most goodness, but a regular pot is totally fine.

For example I made homemade shrimp gyoza last night, threw in some homemade chicken stock and some corn starch to balance it out. Everyone loved it. And that's not even getting into making, like, chicken noodle soup or something, which is almost a whole different, wildly better, dish than using store bought stock.

Don't get me wrong though I used to buy the better than bullion and it's definitely better than cubes. The thing is, the rotisserie chicken is such a basic part of shopping economically at Costco that most people just have the carcasses lying around and honestly often times just throw that poo poo away, which is criminal.

The fact that you can get a rotisserie chicken for $5 and make an entire pot of stock out of the leftovers is unreal, even if homemade stock wasn't the best thing ever.

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 15, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

yooooo the chanterelles are back in PNW Costco, $14 a pound :cheerdoge:

chanterelle toast is a borderline religious experience, anyone saying otherwise, we got squabbles.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That poo poo is scary man more power to you though.

I was at some random market in Snohomish a while back and they were $39.99 a pound (?!?)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The giant faux fur rugs are super nice, bought one last week and it is a nice rug on the floor, feels nice and just seems to fit anywhere. Well worth the cost.

Buy the Sherpa blanket if they have one, thing is amazing already and the price is obscenly low for the value.

I have one and I do like it a lot but the cats had a drat field day. Idk what kind of evolutionary instinct is happening here but they would come in and just dig up the entire rug so it was upside down and layered up.

It was so bad I had to get these little rug stickers off Amazon that fixes the nodes of the fur to the hardwood. Good rug besides that.

bird with big dick posted:

Why do you have to steal my joy

Pineapples make me unable to taste, but I love them, and I think you're doing the lord's work. I got your sous vide grey meat joke too btw.

What's all in that?

It's legitimately hilarious to me that people think you're making bad food. The trolling is off the charts.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 6, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Pineapples contain bromelain which is an enzyme that breaks down protein. So it's basically burning your tongue, but most people aren't particularly sensitive to it. Some people get a burning sensation.

Personally my ability to taste is effected once the enzyme gets to work on my tongue. It takes away like 75% of my ability to taste for pretty much the whole day, it's awful. That is pretty rare though, I think.

I'm curious, on what grounds would it make someone taste better? In some parts of the world, pineapple is added to meat marinades and such to make the meat more tender.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I didn't know how hosed state liquor laws could be until I moved to Seattle last year. It's loving ridiculous. Like half the price of the bottle is added taxes on top of the regular price in CA where I lived. The Costco hard liquor section in Seattle is a cursed place.

Not much of a drinker so whatever but I get mad on principle.

I saluted the American flag every time I walked past the Kirkland American Vodka handle for $10.99 in my home state of California. Let freedom ring.

david_a posted:

Cursed trip. I don’t know what I bought but I got $244 of it. The 505 boldly claims “new size!” but it’s just way smaller. The food court was “closed until further notice” which I didn’t discover until I had gone through the checkout. I bought new wiper blades but when I got home I realized someone had put a 20” back in the bin for 24” and naturally that’s the one I grabbed.

Before they brought in the smaller bottles they clearanced out the bigger ones for like 4 bucks. So I bought 2-3 of those bad boys and should have bought more but my god accursed wife starts up with the prattle "we don't need 5 bottles of 505 chilis" really gets me going to hear that in church.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

is topo chico even flavored

I had it once and just remember it being like mineral water

It's flavored with the minerals of the earth, friend.

I really like it but it's pricy. It's an S tier mixer though because it's insanely carbonated. Like the most carbonated drink I've ever had. As a result you can use it as a mixer and keep the overall carbonation super high.

Overall though I love drinking a tallboy Topo slowly during a super long zoom meeting. Anything to dull the boredom.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My only real exposure to Costco is in Hawaii and Arizona where you can buy booze and in Hawaii you can even get cigarettes

Costco used to have a pretty large, fully caged area where you could buy bulk cartons of cigarettes. This was a long time ago- my mom started taking me to Costco when I was super young, and I remember the old ladies running through with nothing more than like 5 cartons of smokes. Those ladies ruled.

Costco wasn't always a place where you needed a 100k+ income to shop effectively. Back in the Before Times, when normal people could afford groceries and treats, there were tons of regular rear end people there, mostly going there to buy staples.

Anyways, Hawaii Costco is great for other reasons- for one, you can buy pairs of Rainbow sandles at a really good price at the Maui Costco. Then you have the macadamia treats and all the squid and other dried seafood snacks :jerky: Of course, that whole area that we visited is now burned down, so that's... dope...

I had a ridiculously huge crush on this girl when I was in elementary school, and somehow I literally saw her and said hi in the Honalulu Costco when I was like 15 and we were about to board a plane to one of the smaller islands. The church provides I guess. That was Lost levels of serendipitously meeting someone randomly.

Taima fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

And I guess this is a Hawaii thing because even though Costco doesn't have the grimy filth layers that Sam's Club has -- or the miasma of sadness -- it's just as affordable and cheaper than any other grocery store around

The median income of a given Costco shopper is ~$128,000 a year

It was just nice to see a more varied mix of people in Costco back when food prices meant a bunch of shoppers weren't locked out. That's all I was getting at. The church should be a safe place for all its congregants.