Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Wait, so Jones's parents sent a copy of a bankruptcy document to a man who's already dead? Like, to his estate or it just went to his house and got returned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

I opened the PDF of the filing. They included his name in the list of people the document was to be forwarded to, likely because he was a listed party to one of the many lawsuits against Jones - a lot of the invidual names are C/O [lawfirm name] so that's my best guess.

I think it was laziness rather than malice - likely recycled a cc list from an older filing.

That makes sense, especially the laziness.

New Legal Eagle just dropped!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Stolkin posted:

Andrew Lloyd Webber is in this case a character played by Paul F. Tompkins.

Here’s and example, though probably not the best one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMJr228mtM

And yes, IRL Andrew Lolo Bologna is a jerk.

Man, I miss the Comedy Bang! Bang! tv show. Not related, but here's another impression by Paul F. Tompkins, of Werner Herzog reviewing a Trader Joe's

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

ryde posted:

This is all an extremely brazen and transparent attempt to shield assets from judgement, and I hope the law is equipped to handle it.

I mean, in the end it was the IRS that jailed Al Capone. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm under the impression the US government tends to go after tax evasion on such a large scale with the fury of a thousand suns. If you don't want to pay taxes, go through the same loopholes all the other rich people and corporations do

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, is he evading taxes too? I thought this was just about shielding his assets from civil judgments.

I'm just guessing, but basically there's no way he's been completely honest with his taxes. My gut feeling is that the IRS is going to become very interested in Jones's finances if they aren't already. Even the fanboys throwing crypto at him isn't going to help once the IRS gets curious and starts asking more questions. Plus remember that Jones is his own worst enemy, so every inquiry becomes another opportunity for him to gently caress himself over

Basically I agree with everyone who thinks that this is the beginning of the end of Jones's public career. It probably won't be in a single moment, but a death by a thousand cuts. Between the lawsuits, the bankruptcy and subsequent investigation into his finances, the January 6th Committee, and his already poor health, things are only going to go downhill for him

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

wit posted:

But it will just add to his gimmick of "give me money, the man is fighting me because they hate your freedoms" Genuinely would not be surprised if he turns a net profit from this.

So? His gimmick won't stop the IRS from collecting on said profit. There's nothing his fanboys can do about the legal and financial consequences that are coming to Jones. Remember that Jones and his team are idiots and don't know how to hide their misdeeds, and the government has won against much smarter people with competent crooked lawyers and accountants

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

RFC2324 posted:

In that case it is both well known and the jury gets to be told, explicitly so they will pile on the compensatory damages

It's compensation for not being able to dole out punitive damages! That works, right?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Subjunctive posted:

You don’t file your “worth” with your taxes. You’re taxed on net-of-whatever income, not assets held. He can absolutely say “I had a bunch of income but don’t have any of it left because of expenses”, since I believe that we’re talking about corporate assets for the most part.

E: he is clearly trying to do shady poo poo with his assets, as evidenced by the various not-arm’s-length transactions that he’s trying to treat otherwise. I don’t think it’s really valuable to just make up “well he must be…” flights of fancy about him committing tax evasion, trespassing, or violations of the Mann Act. The reality is messy enough, and hard enough to follow, without additional fabrication.

My thinking on the IRS thing is that there's going to be some sort of tax evasionish issue for Jones, just as a result of his antics. Even if he's not purposely committing some sort of tax evasion, he and/or his people hosed something up during all that transferring assets, creating shell companies, and other financial fuckery. Honest and diligent people make mistakes all the time, so imagine the kind of clusterfuck Jones's situation is

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

pseudanonymous posted:

Do you think he’s even bothering to file taxes for all this bullshit? The IRS got Capone.

That's exactly my point. I literally posted that the IRS got Capone

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I mean, in the end it was the IRS that jailed Al Capone.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Regrettable posted:

Lol he drew AJ at a solid 3'5".

And with no neck lol

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Morroque posted:

Not to be pedantic about it, but Jesus walked around 11 security guards and one narc. Alex is missing the extra narc.

Imagine if the apostles were like Jones's crew, they'd get themselves crucified and we'd all be pagan

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

teen witch posted:

I hope Judge Gamble is having a massive glass of wine rn like “girl, I know, the gently caress”

I legitimately love that it's been women judges, like women have too much to put up with and things to do and these two judges are the epitome of "I don't have time for this poo poo, you're grounded, dumbass, and don't make that face at me, even when you're turned around"

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Alkydere posted:

Now I'm just hoping the CT team is able to drop a bombshell on Jones when he gets on stand even half as powerful as TX's "Oh and we have an image of Jone's phone"

I keep reading CT as an abbreviation for CT scan and expecting something about Jones and brain damage, having or causing

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Everett False posted:

Jones is part of the Christian Identity movement which asserts that most of the people currently calling themselves Jews aren't real Jews, and that the real Lost Tribes of Israel ended up in England and the United States which is why white Americans are God's real Chosen People. Therefore he can insist that "Globalist" is not a codeword for Jews (because the people he's referring to aren't really Jewish).

Obviously he's not consistent about this ideology because he isn't consistent about anything. But it's there and it's pretty easy to see it as an undercurrent to everything he says once you know about it.

There's regular ol' anti-Semitism, too, that never goes away

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Well, that broke me. I can't imagine being in that courtroom and not falling apart when the parents testify. gently caress

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

you're right, i'm just sick of jones saying "i didn't kill the kids" and "i never said...". i'm of the mind that you pound the facts in, over and over, just preemptively counter what you know he's going to say :(
i guess i should stop listening to jones

It doesn't matter what he says on his show now, because that's not testimony being presented in court. He can fall on his knees and repent on-air all day, every day, for the rest of his life, and it doesn't matter for the hearing. It's a settled matter, and the jurors shouldn't be listening to his show right now, anyway

And stop listening to his show, why would you do that to yourself?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

pseudanonymous posted:

This is kind of stupid because it’s not how the human brain works.

Honestly the plaintiffs should get to present their evidence he did these things and the defense shouldn’t get to defend him, that should be the penalty for his failure to participate.

The hearing is in Connecticut, where the shooting happened, and the jurors have probably been watching this all play out over the years as people in their community were victimized over and over again by Jones and his cult. Maybe in Texas you need to hammer the point repeatedly for the jurors that Jones did, in fact, do and say these things, but I feel like it's just not necessary at this point for the Connecticut jurors

Plus, like it's been pointed out, arguing a foregone conclusion is just wasting everyone's time. Also subjecting people to InfoWars against their will should be a war crime

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Improbable Lobster posted:

I am very convinced that significant portions of the population have massive undiagnosed lead poisoning or other issues that have severely effected their mental processes and made them more aggressive.

Boomer brain, and I'm not saying that as a joke. They were exposed to more lead than younger generations, plus getting old means more cognitive problems and part of that is an increase in irritability, decreased rationality, and just generally being more difficult and belligerent. Personality changes for the worse are a sign of cognitive decline, and often the first symptom of dementia

quote:

With long COVID I'm not expecting this to improve anytime soon.

Well, acute Covid might help, as long as they keep refusing masks and vaccines

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Animal-Mother posted:

I miss the harmless fun of 90's X-Files and Unsolved Mysteries type conspiracy theories. Now its all about demonizing "gun grabbers" and LGBTQ people and Jewish people and intellectuals and liberals and basically anybody that isn't a WASP, I guess.

Boy, do I have bad news for you about old conspiracy theories...

For real, the only reason you weren't aware of the antisemitism and demonizing others before, is because you weren't paying attention. Now it's being shoved in our faces so all the subtlety and nuances and dog whistles have gone out the window

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

The Pirate Captain posted:

Alex Jones is no criminal genius, and no one is saying he is. People are concerned about the corrupt system that tends to, especially in the past 5 years or so, let rich white people off the hook. Concern is justified and anyone who thinks it isn’t hasn’t been paying attention.

Jones didn't play nice with the system, so the system is going to make an example of him. Jones isn't a big-time power player with connections, he's a belligerent rear end in a top hat no one likes who has no value to the people that run and maintain the system. He lost the usual protections given to the rich and influential by his inability to cooperate. Anyone who had an interest in defending Jones at first, has jumped ship because the man himself is impossible to defend and he's just more trouble than he's worth. This isn't a normal Rich White Guy in Trouble case, and if you keep thinking that it is, you're not paying attention

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

LifeSunDeath posted:

because to date, nothing has shut him up, nothing. not a billion dollar judgment, nothing. and him not shutting up is precisely what is causing these families to get tormented and harrassed. so it's like will this poo poo ever end?

He can scream all he wants, he's still hosed. The Alex Jones Circus can, and will, go on for as long as Jones can scream into a mic, but that doesn't change that he's screwed for the rest of his life. Shooting his mouth off isn't mutually exclusive with being financially hosed forever

If you mean that he's still on the air, well. Literally the only thing that will stop him from doing that is death

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Foo Diddley posted:

alex jones got sued for a billion dollars for saying sandy hook was a hoax, and he's paid $0 and is on the air saying sandy hook was a hoax

How fast do you expect this process to go? Nobody would be able to just pay almost a billion dollars in cash in a couple days, not even actual billionaires. Nobody rich keeps that much liquid money just hanging out, their wealth is in stocks and property and things that make up their monetary value

This is the beginning of the end of Alex Jones. There won't be one single, decisive moment that will be The End, though. It's going to be a death by a thousand cuts: a prolonged affair of devastating wounds afflicted upon him while he suffers and flails. Remember his bad health, his bankruptcy, his marriage is probably on the rocks now that his wife knows he sent her naked pictures to Roger Stone, and there's the possibility that the Jan 6th committee has some questions for him

This is going to be a long, drawn out process, and we'll get to watch it happen

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

:yeshaha:

I don't think the court is going to give him a do-over

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Outrail posted:

I mean, taking everything he's built would be great and a massive win (especially for the victims). But the whole point was to make him shut the gently caress up about certain topics. If he doesn't poo poo the gently caress up what was the point?

To cost him dearly and make an example of him. This might not deter him, but it's going to discourage less crazy assholes from pulling these stunts or sinking money into assholes like Jones

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

bird food bathtub posted:

Elon Musk just threw 44 times that into a raging dumpster fire so he could poo poo post to soothe his ego. It's not impossible.

Musk is an idiot who bought Twitter to assuage his ego and because he was on a coke/meth bender. He has no one to advise him to not do things, and now he's melting down in real time as Twitter burns down around him. Peter Thiel is evil, but he's not stupid. He has nothing to gain from backing Alex Jones, even anonymously, and a billion dollars is still a lot of money to a billionaire. There's literally no reason for anyone to pay for Jones's verdict

This is just more doom posting for no reason. Maybe we can't make Jones shut up, but he's going to suffer terribly

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

Musk also desperately regrets his actions and is now doing everything possible to claw his money back in the dumbest way possible so that is a poor example.

That's a good point, Musk went to court to get out of the Twitter deal after his drug binge ended

It can't be said enough: Alex Jones is not a member of the elite, or useful to the elite. No one with money or power is going to stick their necks out to help him. Not anymore

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think the doubters are failing to appreciate that a billion is a thousand times the size of a million. Those extra zeros aren’t decorative.

Just for perspective: Peter Thiel's estimated worth is about $4.3 billion. He's not going to pay a quarter of his worth to save Alex Jones

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Morter posted:

Reminder that he's still getting a base income/salary of money a month, so I wouldn't put much faith in the 'all the money going into contemporary infowars store purchases directly benefits the plaintiffs'.

So? He gets a living allowance, the rest goes to the families. It's still a win

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Philthy posted:

how is he making any money, everything should be garnished

I mean, he still needs to be able to pay for shelter and food. He certainly shouldn't get that much money, though

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I love this judge so much. "[The motion] was so, so sloppy and just a waste of my time."

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I'm not an expert at all, but the sheer number of disgraced and possibly debarred attorneys in the wake of these trials has to be unprecedented, right? Since no one with integrity or concerned with their reputation was willing to work for Alex Jones, it's just a cavalcade of scumbags and fools, and they're getting exposed in the most embarrassing and public way. There can't be any coming back for Martin after this, right? Even if he's not sanctioned, his reputation must be shot to hell, right? What happens to him?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Flyinglemur posted:

That doesn't disprove what I was saying though. Could be that they "accidently" didn't tell them to ignore it.

I'm not as up on this as you guys, but I thought I remembered that there was a connection in his phone that showed what they were doing. I will see myself out.

side note, these gummies are really good man

Jones's lawyer in that case was a combative rear end in a top hat who refused to pay the minimal professional courtesy to the other attorney. It's not actually that unusual for one side to accidentally give the other files and such, especially in a big data dump. When that happens, there's usually mutual cooperation to correct that mistake: the accidental recipient informs the accidental sender of the mistake, they do a little lawyer thing to officially get the info back, and everyone returns to their corners.

Jones's lawyer, however, is a stupid dickhead, and was very antagonistic. He was also very bad at his job, and ignored the notice from Bankston about the cell phone records, because he's an rear end in a top hat. He probably was just dragging his feet to be difficult--remember that he flipped off Bankston at the end of court one day. Just super unprofessional all around, so the other side decided not to chase him down and help him fix his mistake.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

The Bible posted:

He's less evil, but he's still a billionaire, and all billionaires are evil.

One recently bequeathed a billion dollars to a medical college, so future students won't have to pay tuition. That's something

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have really bad insomnia and listening to Knowledge Fight is one of the only ways I can fall asleep. It’s not fun, F-, do not recommend.

This is the one time I'm going to suggest a crippling addiction to benzos as the lesser of two evils

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’ve tried a lot of things, as well as being in discussion with my doctor about this.

I feel you, I'm in the process of getting a sleep disorder diagnosed. Maybe you're also on the wrong sleep schedule? I'm unofficially nocturnal, my best sleep happens from early morning to mid-afternoon. Good luck

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Anything for a dollar, eh Alex?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

dr_rat posted:

Wait what?

The afore-mentioned Doc Antle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Vampire Panties posted:

IIRC the documentary Tiger King sorta danced around the subject, but Joe Exotic ran his "operation" by keeping everyone really addicted to meth.

In the follow-up episode hosted by Joel McHale, one of the former workers says that Joe would hire drifters he met at gas stations, and he took advantage of them. The same guy outright says he wouldn't be surprised if Joe has killed one or two and fed their bodies to the cats