Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hellioning posted:

Several hours behind but I have just obtained a house via helping out a Hot Anime Lawyer and I cannot believe I just now learned there's housing in this game now.

Oh yeah, it was kind of a big deal when it popped. Just - surprise, player housing! Go whack trees, something will actually happen now. Get ready to collect and covet all the hottest architectural styles to impress the half-dozen anime dudes and ladies who are constantly following you around everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, my final dumb observation was that it's funny that we get to Sumeru and oh hey would you look at that, spices.

Yeah we had salt and pepper already but it's not quite the same thing.

We've had other spices too (chili, anyone?) they've just been handled by throwing the whole-rear end spice fruit in the pot. The completely unheralded option to process spice out of fruits is cool and good, though, especially since the local varieties look particularly fleshy.

theblackw0lf posted:

Man Rana’s world quest I think is longer than the Archon quest.

Though it’s actually a bunch of world quests that interconnect with each other. Not complaining though as it’s pretty awesome.

I was not expecting to oops my way into a second comprehensive region-spanning quest, though with less voice-acting. I thought "oh hey a little something to do on my way down the river to the port town where the archon quest is" and now I'm frantically trying to turn down my brain pressure on the whole thing now that it's exploded into choices and game features. Just believe in Arana a little bit, I guess.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Coolness Averted posted:

The cave under the capitol and the one that opens up under the sakura shrine after the cleansing questline are the best places to get 'em, just doing a quick patrol every few days. Yeah it's tedious as hell, and left me unable to play as Itto for the majority of Inazuma, since he consistently lagged a tier or two behind the enemies I was fighting based on world level.

If you pop at the waypoint in the south of Tataratsuna there are two beetle runs from there. One that goes around down the big slope and collects beetles from inside an electro bubble and from a danger tree with a couple of stragglers, and one that goes right for the reactor core, plucks a beetle off the highest rooftop, then descends the reactor shaft grabbing them off the walls.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

valuum posted:

Uh, there's a jumping mech in the Raiden fight? This is what Zhong does to you, I genuinely have no idea about anything other than the electro instant kill.

Did my first round of Sumaru dailies today - good stuff! Like the bosses and domains I've done so far, they were a long way from all the "gently caress yous" of Inazuma.

Yeah, it's how you get the Death Proof challenger V achievement. You can bunnyhop over the trivajra ETERNITY IS IN MY HANDS attack, since they're strictly ground waves -- you may remember it from the previously useless anti-raiden-shogun training MIko put you through? It can be a bit of a challenge to find a good spot to hurdle the triple pulse finisher without the Kazuha launch or Venti wind pillar, but it can be done.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

x1o posted:

I need to stop being distracted and just power through the Archon quest and stop going "oooh, teleport point near here, should grab it, oooh a chest, oooh where does this lead?"

Assuming you've still got some map pins left, what I do is just assume I'm going to see any overworld objective again and stick a "come back later" at the entrance to any cave or less obvious thing I want to explore.

I've got a dozen so far. There are so many caves to explore, you guys.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ssmagus posted:

You get to drain it after fighting all sealed ruin machines, then you'll get the quest that will lead to draining the water there.

There's a sealed ruin machine in that cave that'll drain the water one stage when you beat it. There's a second stage to the drain that happens with all machines unsealed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Happy Underpants posted:

I like the game part of the game, where I push buttons and things happen. The characterization is very much tertiary to me.

Ningguang is a good example. Throw rocks, put up a wall, throw more rocks, power move is throwing the most rocks and, at C6, following it up with even more rocks. Tons of fun. Her characterization is some kind of rags to riches high class lady? She's some kind of bureaucracy queen? Sure. fine. Why is she going on this adventure with me? why is she climbing mountains to get flowers and jumping into streams to catch fish? Why is she doing all of these rough and tumble things in heels? If she's a load bearing functionary shouldn't she be fulfilling her responsibilities in a tacky golden office?

Because ultimately, she's Scrooge McDuck.

Would Scrooge McDuck drop his money bin on an elder god if it was the only way to save Duckburg? Yes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah but there's nothing that signals her story quest has that tie. In general Inazuma is kinda bad at signposting what you need to do to actually unlock content. Like I still have none of the fog island unlocked/the mechanic that lets you explore it or any real signposts about what gets me there.

It's a followup adventurer's guild commission to the one that introduced Seirai. You have to completely contain the balethunder with several of those rotating stone warding puzzles, fight the thunderbird on an island in the sky, and grab an electro feather. "Seirai Stormchasers" is part of the series 2 Inazuma achievables, so you should be able to check pretty easily if you've done it or not.

The fog island quests work a bit like Tatara Tales in that you have to wait one rollover before the next part of them is ready. Unlike Tatara Tales the entity in charge isn't from Fontaine so it'll only be a few outings before the fog is cleared from the island and a new song drops into the mix.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hellioning posted:

Speaking of which, really annoyed that I have to do a bunch of 'world quests' in order to unlock the Chasm to get to where my next archon quest is. And even more annoyed I had to look that up because the game itself certainly wasn't telling me.

Doesn't the adventurer's handbook have a new "guide" tab that's supposed to track those sorts of things? I suppose for spoiler reasons it might not tell you exactly what unlocks what.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hyper Inferno posted:

The music for the final battle of the Aranara world quest is really cool, and I really liked the setpiece. I'm a little annoyed that you are forced to be solo Traveler for it, but I guess that's the best way they figured to have the fight have the flow and impact it's designed for without a super-whale bursting in and one shotting everything. I hope Rana becomes playable some day too.

It was an interesting choice, yeah. A trial Dendro Traveler, because there's no guarantee you've built or upgraded yours. It's the most reasonable one for the situation and I can see how they wouldn't want you to leave any droppables or fire any frostflakes into that central crater with the boss fight structure. I both understand the favonius sword because it's cool to have the lotus popping off while the boss death cutscene plays, and wish they'd given the trial character a sapwood blade because this is clearly the power of the aranara flower crown you're throwing around. On a brighter note, somebody finally convinced Plunge Attack Guy to use his power for good instead of using it for incomprehensible event trials like he usually does.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 11, 2022

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lobsterpillar posted:

Some character X patches from now will have a ranged attack that pulls ranged enemies all the way over to you.
When the inevitable mortal Kombat Collab comes.

Or they'll rerun Venti's banner.

In the simplest form, ranged enemies give you a position you want to get to in combat (to whack 'em one) while melee enemies try to block you from it. This makes positioning something useful to pursue in addition to just big numbers, or just connecting with your own ranged attacks under melee pressure.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Collei's actually been surprisingly solid for off-field dendro application with her boomerang aftereffect. Especially in tandem with Shinobu, there's just a dendro ring and an electro ring popping off in melee pretty much all the time. Pour on the hydro and it's a real good time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sanctum posted:

These talking plants sure like to talk. A lot.

After Aranyaka Part 3 there's Part 4. :stare:

Part 4 is thankfully just a denouement. That's French for "when the villain gets it".

I felt Aranyaka was pretty good as the region-exploring mechanic-unlocking quest for this first patch. It just keeps going mostly because the map just keeps going; I didn't feel like I was doing a whole lot of redundant back and forth. There's even a dedicated adventure journal!

Clarste posted:

They make a lot of jokes about how Paimon can't tell any of them apart because all their names sound the same, but I have to say I also felt the same way and it quickly became hard to care about any of them in particular.

Most of who I felt were the important recurring Aranara had names that were notably short or notably long. Everybody else was mostly a one-off, until Festival Utsava at least but then all of the ones from the same quest tended to hang out together.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BabyRyoga posted:

.. did they really put another poo poo-rear end water elemental stage with birds that are impossible to hit with most characters in this abyss cycle?

They just released a bunch of new content with new enemies that have somewhat decent design after learning from 2 years of mistakes. Why would they add these pieces of poo poo to the rotation again?

If you have any electro at all (and really, this abyss is kind of begging to get hyperbloomed) the falcons are collateral damage when you hit the front line. The annoying part for me was the retreating cranes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I guess everything that has the little white fuzzy dudes attached to them can be affected by electro/dendro/pyro? The rocks don't have the fuzzy dudes I don't think, but electro just makes them go up even higher (which seems pointless)

There's like a chest puzzle or two where you have to line up rocks in scorched/bloomed/activated states. Other than that, pretty pointless, yeah.

Anything in a withering zone is permanently scorched, so the game will do a lot of pinning extra rewards under scorched rocks or over scorched bounce mushrooms.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Garrand posted:

I don't know what I'm missing, but I can't figure out what this one is supposed to do or what the next step is supposed to be. I've hit it multiple times now and run around looking for any other dendro thingies (I don't even know what they're called) and can't find anything.

I think that one's just bugged and resets when it shouldn't?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, I've had a couple of those target dealies seemingly reset, but nothing for reactivating them.

Another weird thing I've noticed in Sumeru is a brief green sparkle animation on my character that triggers in certain areas. I can make it come back by moving around the same spot, but I haven't found any indication that there's some special reason for it like a treasure to find.

I think it might be the VFX for leaving a withering zone, just playing at an inappropriate time?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

MoonCrab posted:

Aranyaka post-story:

Wow, we really send paimon off to pet some bunny rabbits while we take this dude behind the shed, huh? This was the one time I went and looked up if there was an alternate quest ending because that's kinda outside of Genshin's usual tone lmao

But yeah, if anyone wants to try completing Aranyaka blind, I'd recommend waiting until you can pick up the sumeru treasure compass so you get get the open world chests at the same time. The hints for the first page aren't too bad if you have a good memory, and the fifth page is pretty straightforward. But 3 and 4 needed a lot of brute force exploration, and I only managed one of the steps of 3 by pure chance. Like, "oh, I just so happened to have explored this area in a certain order while taking IRL breaks during certain steps" level of pure chance.

And I'm still not done with one of em!

Your choice does matter there, yes. A Snezhnev can't betray the mission. If he runs he will die in the wasteland, alone and afraid, hounded by his unrepentant brothers and sisters.

He was kind enough to come quietly, so I let him die on his feet, fighting for the motherland.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Leathal posted:

That new survey was pretty funny to fill out as a new player. Haven’t seen a single one of the things they wanted feedback about.

On a different note, is there any way of making controller aim for bows better without tripping anti-cheat? It’s absolutely horrendous.

You can adjust horizontal and vertical sensitivity separately for normal operation and aimed-shot mode in the settings. It's helped, but especially for things like the windblume balloon challenges I've never been able to be as precise with a controller as a mouse.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ain't gonna happen, but I always stan hard for it:

Genshin Impact Tree.1: The lone and level sands stretch far away

alternately

Genshin Impact Tree.1: ANCIENT EGYPTIAN LASER BEAMS

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Captain France posted:

Speaking of this whole event, does it bug anyone else that Traveler and Paimon don't seem to remember that Scaramouche took the Gnosis and ran, because they learned that in an event? Presumably the reason Dottore sends mercenaries instead of Fatui is because he also turned traitor for the "make Scaramouche a god" idea. But I guess Traveler and Paimon aren't allowed to see this coming because that bit was in an event.

Also, hey! Does this count as not being the Fatui behind things?

There isn't a lot of branching dialogue for whether events have happened to your account or not. Though even given that I don't think there's a lot amiss here. Nothing about the current course of events is all that contradictory to "welp, Dottore who is still totally 100% Fatui must have hunted down Scaramouche since Childe talked to us, which is a thing Dottore is totally capable of because he's a more highly-ranked Harbinger".

Besides, the operation in Vimara was all Fatui who thought they were working for "The Doctor". Though to be fair it wouldn't be the first time the higher-ups just cut ties with some grunts and never even told them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I have no idea how you guys do the last ascension on so many characters. I look at the boss mat reqs for the ascension and instantly go No, gently caress That. I guess during a content lull between new country releases I might do some

Battle pass wants me to do 10 boss fights a week, I spend on 10 boss fights a week instead of cheating them out in the spiral abyss. As long as you're actually using the drops they'll pile up little by little, and it's not like those six perfect gemstones are going to start raining from the sky anyway.

Also if you're still early world level days, eventually the overworld bosses drop 2 or 3 mats instead of just 1, so it takes less fights total.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 30, 2022

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Anno posted:

A couple days in I’m very happy I pulled for Venti. Even relatively low level and with absolutely awful artifacts he feels impactful, and performs much better than I expected when his CC is negated. Also his hold E has been amazing for exploration - the little circle he does as he floats up even got me around some weird overhangs.

Oh, congratulations. Venti is a pretty great utility character, contested only by Kazuha. Venti's great for an overhang where you can plant your feet and goes up a long way, Kazuha gets kind of a dinky double jump that can nonetheless clear most of the rock ridges in the game and can be used after you kick off a cliff face. Even then it's really down to some specifics of terrain.

Anyway, enjoy the Justin Kerprank of the archons, and get ready for takeoff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it would still feel bad to fight hilichurls with, as you sit around for 10 seconds waiting for one to take a swing at you

Grassfire.

Wisely, the Scarlet King has prevented us from deploying them against his empire.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zenostein posted:

What psycho decided the event spear should use drops from those black knights

Someone tell me there's a ton of them in the desert somewhere, and not just the like, 7 in the chasm.

Isshin and one of the aranara weapons also needed them.

There's a 3-pack in the chasm the adventurer handbook doesn't point you to. Jump to the waypoint in the far southeast, hug the east wall until you get to a part it looks like you can break through. If you hit the hilichurl you've gone too far.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

What quest am I missing if it's still saying I haven't unlocked swapping them back and forth? I already did the entire story and got the Bathysmal Vishaps unlocked. Am I missing something?

There was an image here, but it's gone now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

I don't get why it got deleted

Yeah, it might just be coded incorrectly or to trigger off some quest you haven't done yet. Have you actually flipped back and forth at the central spire or a remote station?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Traveller posted:

Who is commissioning "jump on mushrooms for a while" jobs with the guild, anyway

I mean, my theory based on nothing is that Nahida put them in the system to troll us.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Clarste posted:

I, uh, I see...

gently caress.

Just take a freeze team to do Sumeru ley lines, the dang things are like 50% fungi even in the desert, and you probably won't have to deal with a lot of environmental pyro or electro. Alternately there's a whole smurf village of fungi underneath the Quorn Beast if you just want to do a quick lap.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kale posted:

Probably because of reasons of bigotry and their god being dead now thus diminishing their authority and standing or something like that. There seems to be a lot of prestige in worshipping the winning/surviving gods in the Archon War in Teyvat is sort of a vibe I've got as well. Like the people in Watatsumi weren't treated super great and kind of forced to live on lovely barren land even though the more directly involved current Raiden seems to be trying to welcome them into the fold at least if they're willing to co-exist even if they still won't pledge themselves to her (which is an outcome that never happens without the Traveler mind you), and the ones that lost their gods or never had one to begin with seem to have been wiped out ages ago in the Archon War or have since fallen in under a new order like Decarabian's people moving over to Barbatos Mondstadt or Liyue with the self-governing thing (which is also an outcome that probably never happens without the Traveler and all the Adepti and Liyue Qixing otherwise Liyue Harbour has probably been Tsunami'd off the face of the map by now).

Keep in mind I've done like 15 minutes of Act III maybe mostly cause I got pulled into it by walking into the quest start trigger zone while trying to progress another quest in Sumeru City.

Definitely keep going with the archon quest, it will continue to explore those themes.

The world quest and desert obelisks will also explore those themes to a lesser degree, though don't go too hard on the obelisks if you don't want to - they can get pretty tough to untangle and mainly just contribute some flavor.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Rexxed posted:

Since I have my main account at AR56 only missing Bennett as a 4*, and my second account which is way behind on completion because I can't be assed to go find everything twice at AR53 also with no Bennett (although missing a lot of 4*), I'm saving up my starglitter for when he hits the shop in... May? National team May 2023!

May AND November.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe I'm ignorant for being out of the loop and assuming I'm the average player but I don't think everyone playing Genshin is keeping up with all of the other games and their stories. When people say Genshin's story is getting darker I think they mean compared to where it started with you freeing a dragon from its mind control spike and helping a city fight off a leviathan by dropping a floating office on it compared to being trapped in the effects of Gold Experience Requiem and watching your friend slowly die as the loops continue.

It's going dark but it's also not going as dark as it could have. Hand to god when I saw the surprise dream ghost in act 3 chapter 2 my first thought was "well, at least they die happy". When Nahida said "oh, I thought you'd be crying" in the debrief I wiped my eyes with one hand and flipped the bird at my monitor with the other.

No Wave posted:

I mean in fairness what they're doing to Nahida is cosmic horror levels of torture. She's suspended in the air locked in a room and literally can't move for 500 years. Like wtf. The akasha is the only reason she's not completely insane.

It's really kind of a microcosm of what the sages have done to their whole society, and that includes the Deshret parts of it. There was something that might have worked but instead of taking the risks and putting in the labor to deal with it they've trapped everyone in a web of useful lies, beyond which is no useful path to wisdom, and even within which they're falling further and further behind their past glories precisely because of the steps they're taking (banning the arts, grinding up everybody's dreams to feed Wikipedia).

They've chosen cruelty not for wisdom but instead of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nyoro posted:

I'm really late to Zhongli's first story quest but wow I think the god of salt is the one god that has gotten a worse rap than Nahida so far???

at least Nahida hasn't been murdered by her own people (yet)

I think what happened to both of them is far too tragic for words like "better" and "worse" to create meaningful absolute comparisons.

But, if I wanted to compare them, I might say that the God of Salt suffered a crueller fate, as a pacifist born in a time of war, but her people turned on her in a moment of desperation. Nahida has been more cruelly treated, in smaller ways but constant, with everyone who knows the truth of the Akasha also choosing to harden their hearts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nyoro posted:

Wait the hangouts aren't VN dating friend chillin type things?

That blows

Hangouts only really pull out combat for plot reasons, like the only fight you have in the chongyun hangout is down one optional dialogue branch where some hilichurl peons get drawn to a lingering spoopiness. By and large they're VN dialogue exercises with heart meters (sometimes important, sometimes not) and some surprisingly branching paths.

Even the ones that are just "yep, this character's deal is what you thought it was" will at least draw out some nuances, which can be helpful to define some unique points about the original cast as we get more and more playable characters.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

Rhinedottir/Gold made Albedo and he's held together pretty well so far. Everyone else really needs to get on her level.

Granted, Durin was not as good, but we're not getting playable dragons in this game like it's Skyrim with 48 different mods on it anyway.

Lies and slander. Durin was excellent at what he did, and what he did was vomit poison all over everything all the time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FractalSandwich posted:

Also, the Traveller is using a pseudonym, because the sibling calls them by their canonical name. Also, what the hell do they mean with their treasure chest line where they talk about the world "answering" them? Also...

Well, like 70% of world treasure chests are sealed by abyssal script that breaks when the traveler does something, and a further 25% poof into existence after the traveler boost-climbs a golem arm or blows up five barrels of explosive slime that didn't exist 15 seconds ago.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zenostein posted:

Unrelated to the photo event: 1) Slightly disappointed this guy didn't have something to say about her coming home, and 2) for most of Sumeru I've been wondering who the hell Lord Sangemah Bay is. Turns out it's Dori, and somehow they've managed to avoid saying her full name anywhere in game except the character page.

Well, she says it in her basic-rear end teapot conversation, too. All the good stuff's in the teapot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tree Reformat posted:

I just assume the in-universe TCG uses completely different cards than we the video game players use. Like they're playing with Vanessa and other lore people. Or erstaz fictional versions thereof.

I just throw it on the "gameplay does not equal story" pile with "the Traveler fights all the battles you use your gacha team for".

On the other hand I really liked the end of aranyaka where the traveler canonically had to 1v1 the end boss because there was only the one crown of memories.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mailer posted:

It's a gacha game that relies on FOMO and changing game mechanics to try to get you to spend money and it still somehow wins Least Predatory and/or hosed Microtransaction Game. I don't know if Mihoyo deserves an award or the rest of the industry deserves the Most Dystopian Videogame Industry award.

I'm not gonna argue about the dystopian industry point at all because capitalism, but I think the reason Genshin has something of a reputation for low predatory level is that the ways in which it leverages FOMO and game mechanics are not that far above baseline capitalism and marketing?

Like, character and signature weapon at launch is buying a game with the steelcase, iconic gear replica, and resin statue. Shelling out for a character at launch when they're current in the story and the Abyss is leaning into them is buying a game on its first release - there's the most marketing hype, there's the most Internet buzz, there's the most active conversations to involve yourself in, there's the most fan content. Saving up your free/subscription primos for a character you know is coming, like radish, Al, or Dehya, or passing on spending at launch and hoping your stock lines up better on a rerun, is like waiting for a game to go on Steam sale for five or ten bucks. You still get the whole game and all its mechanics, just after all the buzz is gone.

It helps that you get like 80% of the story content for characters you don't own. You miss out on friendship chats and backgrounds, teapot miscellany, and running environmental commentary, but everybody playing the game can save Nahida and then take her out on a weird dream adventure, and then if previous patch content is any indication, also take her out to probably some weird juju happening in the depths of the desert, where the bonds between three old friends slumber quietly, like an Aranara that has transformed into a seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Elentor posted:

I think this game has terrible story and aesthetics because I don't like anime, but the amount of world that simply exists is incredible and when I was told it's a 2-3 years old game I was blown away because the amount of open world it has is like many, many years of WoW worth of content except it doesn't suck because I can explore and do poo poo and go "can I climb this huge crater" and suddenly I was in Sumeru without even finishing the geo archon quest.

I came to this game with a lot of prejudice and I mean, gently caress, I had more fun climbing the Raiden's house than playing Getting Over It, I had more fun doing the puzzles in [submerged ruin I can't remember the name] than I had in entire puzzle games. And the most impressive part is that at no point did I reach the dreaded gacha wall of difficulty spike that every other game I played had where suddenly the game jumped from very easy to nearly impossible. I was warned the game had a bunch of level gates where I'd be halted in the questline until I got to some adventurer level that required dailies or a lot of grinds but since the exploration was so drat good I never really encountered any of those, I realized that I could play this game just for the fun of logging in and exploring a world so goddamn huge I would likely never complete it faster than they release content and the most liberating part was the realization that, really, I didn't actually need to do dailies or jack poo poo.

If there's any other huge rear end world exploration + puzzle game that releases content frequently and don't put up an invisible wall preventing me from walking to endgame areas just because I want to and the enemies won't insta-kill me because they're 3 levels above and that means death then I'd love to play it, but until then aiming at the clouds and headshotting some tauren lookalikes 400m away in this game is like, pure joy.

There's a really nice climb up a whole bunch of detached bark spirals for a dendroculus that gave me extremely strong Getting Over It vibes.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, its world area is locked behind like 10 hours of aranara adventures, but those adventures aren't locked behind anything. If you're sneaking into them early, please use the waverider waypoints to grab a ride upriver when the game sends you on a big journey upriver. You'll need to get at least a little familiar with the slightly strange boat controls and boat momentum for... later events.