Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Electromax posted:

RIP to anyone who didn't get a PS5 in time to try the weird and rarely used cards that let you jump to specific levels sometimes. I never trusted them.

Are they getting rid of those too?

I was able to use them to get out of soft locks in a few games but otherwise I never use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can’t remember what I started on before. Are you difficulty locked in it? I’m good at Yakuza combat but I might go for easy if it’s locked in.

I'm pretty sure you can change it but if you can't just learn tiger drop asap and that'll make it easy mode.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

bloodychill posted:

Still needs a cable to really play anything decent. We’re not at the point where you can take an APU with the power of a 1080 or 3070 and matching processor and and get it small enough to fit into a headset with heat and power consumption in control, hence being a few years off.

You can stream from a PC without a cable. Not sure if you still need to get a third party thing for it or if the latency isn't a problem though. I think the bigger point is it's almost there either way so your initial assertion of ten years out is underestimating it. Probably more like 4 years maybe, idk, there's a VR thread that probably knows.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
The reaction to these leaks has been interesting, the devs don't like it for a variety of reasons, the source code aspect being obviously the worst part in regards to their work, but the footage is more of a mixed bag. Some people find it fascinating and understand it's half-baked at best, while others just don't.

Indie devs that go through early access or a Kickstarter would often be putting out footage like this as development progresses. I think it would be neat if the big companies involved in these leaks leaned into it, and started curating development footage and writing up PR blogs to explain how it's not final and such. Might increase hype a lot, might not, I haven't looked into whether this approach versus the regular one has been researched or whatever.

The big problem with the footage leaks for these games however is their fanbases are huge and filled with people who don't understand that it's a work in progress or that everything shown won't be in the final game (any characters, feature, voiced lines, etc can get cut). Some of those people are "gamers™" and will do poo poo like doxxing or swatting the devs if not outright sending in death threats. While this poo poo can happen regardless of how big the IP or company is, it's just a lot more likely in these cases. I wonder if leaning into it would alleviate this or if it would just exacerbate it, but it's not something anyone could really test out ethically. Most likely the bad actors aren't the type whom you could effectively explain this to at all.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 19, 2022

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I remember Shadow of the Empire most for its insane debug menu you could activate by naming the file something like WOMPA_STOMPA and then doing a button combination that was so complex you either needed to use like your chin to complete it or ask for help.

It was fun to mess around with but you could easily crash the game with it.

Also the game itself was pretty good at the time, yeah.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Arist posted:

I don't really understand why you post every Skill Up video with no additional commentary in here. Not trying to be rude, it's just a little weird to me.

Oh is that what that was? I just thought BP wanted us to shave our balls because I clicked out of the video a few seconds in.

haveblue posted:

Is Hardspace Shipbreaker actually out? It doesn’t show up at all on store search

I've been noticing that the store has been a bit lovely about lower profile games. While it sounds like that may not be the case with this one, I can't even find anything for Prodeus when searching for it on PS5. I can in the mobile app, but the only option is to wishlist it, doesn't even show me the price.

I think something similar happened for Stray of all things unless you had a higher tier of PS+. Seems pretty hosed in general.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

liquidypoo posted:

I think I'm the only one who finds the "no games" joke beyond tired

I do as well but also I respect the dedication some have to beating this dust on the ground that used to be a horse's corpse.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

acksplode posted:

DF put up an interview with one of the journalists who got to play a few games on PSVR2, timestamped link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPJxRCD6xb8&t=45s

The guy hasn't used an Index so he's not able to compare with it, but he's spent a lot of time with PC VR generally and it sounds like PSVR2 blows every other headset on the market out of the water.

I'm not aware of anything that has the eye tracking built in yet, at least not anything affordable. That enables foveated rendering which is a big deal, only the poo poo you're actually looking at will be max settings so you can save on resources, assuming it works well and isn't like how LOD is in existing games. Should be a big jump in image quality.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
The first Witcher game isn't as bad as people make it out to be, it's still rough but the writing and quest structure is still far above some of the poo poo we're getting today. I played through it two years ago and loved it, honestly having a harder time getting through 2 but that could be attributed to back log woes.

Also seconding what was said about being able to build up a motion sickness tolerance in VR. It's very much a YMMV kinda thing, I never had much of an issue but playing something like Sairento out the gate where you're wall running into backflips and such was problematic at first. Eventually if you keep at it almost nothing will faze you, unless you have a serious motion sickness problem in general I guess.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i have also been playing prodeus and it kicks rear end

I grabbed this a few hours ago and it feels like somewhere early in pre-production someone said, "wait, this is just Doom from the 90s again" and the response was, "I know and I don't care." This is a good thing, as is the game.

Lot of loving graphical options to twiddle with though, not sure where I'll land on those.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

acksplode posted:

Here are my pro tips for playing Prodeus: 270p, CRT screen overlay. Native resolution is for cops

So far I've played the first level on default, the second on native with models (yep, that's for cops), and the third was what you mentioned but I also turned on always sprint and maxed the fov to see if that would feel like quake and it sorta did. I need to futz with it a bit more, like with the dithering and I'm not sure if the character colors do anything, I might've just not noticed.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

the_american_dream posted:

Haven’t seen this suggestion before. What’s the reasoning for turning that feature off? Saving storage?

Mostly, the pics can be 4k now so it can add up, but it's also clutter if you take screenshots normally and want to find them later on. It's nothing major, so if you like the feature then cool. The trophy video option though, that'll add up really quick, also it records you through the controller mic which may be potentially odd.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Oh nice :tipshat:

:kiddo:

My opinion might change as I get further in the game, but at the moment I'm going through control shock and the horse is annoying the poo poo out of me.

There are secret horse controls.

Hold back on the left stick and hit triangle (or whatever the gallop button is, forget if it changed) while stopped to get up to full speed immediately. Doing this while moving works as a brake.

If you do that but hit triangle twice Agro will do a 180 quick turn.

I think there's a way to do a 90 degree turn with like back then left/right but I might be thinking of Red Dead or something.

You can also hold the grab button and some directions to ride on the side of the horse or surf it.

But yeah, Agro auto steers a lot more than most video game horses, once you get used to it it's a lot better.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Fyi, the title for that fog logo on the website code has "sh2" in it so i think we're seeing sh2 blooper remakenalong with sh5 teaser drop. Could be all 4 projects tho

The first line in the tweet is from Silent Hill 2, we don't really need to go looking into the website code.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

acksplode posted:

I can't believe they're giving Freelancer away for free, I would've happily paid a few bucks for it. The amount of content in Hitman 3 is ridiculous and IOI is just stuffing in more. The madmen

Hitman 3 was the highest rated and best selling entry, exceeding their expectations, so I think they might have decided to make stuff free that otherwise would've been paid dlc. So good on them for not being greedy I guess.

It really is a lot when you have all the past content of the trilogy integrated into it. It's freaking great.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Vikar Jerome posted:

That looks sick, gonna have to get on this new trilogy finally

For you and anyone else looking to jump into the HItman trilogy now it can seem a bit convoluted at first glance to get all of the content, although at the moment there isn't a sale going on so it's much less convoluted but rather pricey.

So each game is by itself is still 60 bucks, but it's $99 for the trilogy pack, and then 60 bucks for the dlcs for all of those games, so 160 altogether. Well not including the Deadly Sins dlc which a lot of people wouldn't recommend, unless you really want more after doing everything else, then that's another $30.

If a sale is happening then sometimes it's cheaper to get everything piecemeal, say if the trilogy pack is more expensive than everything on sale together, so that can make it more complicated. Just something to keep in mind.

Just remembered that 1 and 2 were PS+ games in the past so a lot of people might already have them. I think even though they were ps+ you could activate them in a purchased copy of Hitman 3 and just keep em that way.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

ShoogaSlim posted:

god of war drops like two days before i leave for another city for a week. bummed i wont get to sit with it the weekend it drops but i am def gonna put in maximum hours before i leave.

bc i preordered digitally, i can start playing it "early" right? i think it's available at 9pm tuesday night for me in california.

It's out next Tuesday so if it's doing that you'll be able to play it that Monday night I would think.

Edit: Nevermind, I guess the store in the phone app is just saying what you're saying since Google says the 9th.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 31, 2022

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I and pretty much most of the goons posting in the Hitman thread got into the Freelancer Technical Test that's running right now. It's on Steam but progress doesn't carry over anyway, also my PC doesn't run it as well as my PS5, so that's fun.

The short of it: Rogue-lite Hitman is good, it changes things up, and maintains a good flow between missions.

The objectives it gives you often have you deviate from the perfect silent assassin run, even asking you to kill guards and other non-targets sometimes. I've run into different item and npc placements, sometimes it makes your starting point rather difficult so you have to improvise, etc. Really gets one out of the usual rut that's easy to fall into with the base game.

It is a bit tough at first when you just have a single pistol with no silencer, making some objectives impossible to complete, but after acquiring new toys over 4 or 5 missions it gets into a really nice spot, although maybe I was just lucky. I'm really looking forward to the full release.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
There's a Hitman sale right now.

I mentioned this during the technical test for the rogue-lite mode coming out in a few months but buying these games can be tricky when there's a sale.

The sale is for the trilogy pack upgrade, HItman 2 gold, and HItman 3 Deluxe. Oddly the premium versions being on sale means the upgrade pack is moot unless you already have everything except what it offers, if that's the case it's $21 instead of its usual $60.

Hitman 2 Gold is $15, Hitman 3 Deluxe is $28, and the Hitman 3 Access Pass for Hitman 1 goty is its usual $30, so you can get everything asides from Deadly Sin dlc for 73 bucks. Buying H2 Gold will just give you its Hitman 3 Access Pass (don't buy, just for reference), so if you're starting fresh you should be able to just download 3 and the access passes and be all set.

For reference the trilogy pack for the base games is $99 and the upgrade for the extra campaigns/missions, levels, etc is usually $60.

Edit: It's even better on Steam because the Trilogy pack is on sale too, so you can just grab it and the trilogy upgrade for $53 and change.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 22, 2022

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Baggot posted:

If I already own Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 but not Hitman 3 yet, should I get H3 Deluxe for $28? I was trying to wait for around ~$20 for Hitman 3 basic but it hasn't quite hit that price yet, and the Deluxe additions didn't seem super enticing but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Looking at the price history the base game goes on sale every couple of months, if it doesn't soon it probably will when Freelancer comes out if I had to guess. Is the deluxe stuff worth an extra 8 bucks? I guess if you like the soundtrack and like digital art books maybe. The other stuff is okay but I don't think it's worth 8 bucks.

The game as a whole though, sure, if you think you'd play it before the next sale and maybe want to get familiar with the maps before Freelancer, then yeah, 28 bucks is fair imo.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

veni veni veni posted:

At launch it also didn't tell you how many souls you need to level lol. Demon's Souls still doesn't to this day.

Why waste time checking a UI element to see how many souls you need to level up when you can just use some math to figure it out?

Just plug in the level to x and y is the amount you need: y = 0.02x^3 + 3.06x^2 + 105.6x - 895

Easy :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I just had BG3 break really hard in a way I hadn't seen so far. I was looting a room and accidentally talked to Shadowheart except she wasn't there (I think a statue was in the way maybe) but I carried out the conversation anyway since she actually had something to say. After it ended she was back but then I couldn't interact with anything, couldn't open stuff, or rather I think the UI box wasn't showing up. I switch the Shadowheart to see if it's just me and suddenly her dialogue options are at the bottom of the screen but it's still letting me walk around sorta. Up and down cycled through the options but I couldn't select any or interact with anything else, could just move left or right. So I try to switch back but I can't interact with the L2 party menu except to split Shadowheart off and then somehow unselect her, and then none of the buttons did anything and I was in control of no one. Game wasn't frozen but I still had to close it from the PS5 menu and lost like 20 minutes. Haven't tried it again but I'm hoping it was a one off.

I'm also in what I hope to be the last section of act 1 before finishing it off, my inventory is pretty full for my character, the others have their equipment and like maybe 10 more things at most. I have a pouch with about 25 kg of potions in it and another with scrolls that's much lighter, I'm not sure if the compartmentalization is helping or not. I think I'll just send most of it to camp, but it's nice having some things just in case.

cubicle gangster posted:

E: I normally play videogames for about 10-15 hours a week, tops. I've put 40 hours into BG3 in 10 days. That's kind of an insane number for me, it's the most I've ever made time for a single game.

I'm honestly not sure I've played a game that just obliterates time like this. I'm 54 hours into it and have started trying to keep track of the time as I play and it'll go alright for a bit and then I'll lose 4 hours. The first time I played it I started in the early afternoon and stopped at sunrise which was confusing because I was almost certain it was 9pm.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 18, 2023

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
RE6 might be a bit retroactively racist since part of it has you going to China and the bioengineered virus is called the C-Virus. At the very least it hits different now.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Couldn't you kill them or pickpocket them and sometimes get decent loot? It's been so long I might be confusing that with something else though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Remakes are fine if they change it up enough. Like the recent Resident Evil ones, whenever devs just design the remake from the ground up I think it's pretty great. Usually, the re3 remake was a bit lacking to say the least in comparison.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Oh wow, I almost completely forgot about MAG.

Thinking back to that time reminded me of Warhawk and people worrying about the drop ship when it got added until we realized you could down it with 4 sniper rounds. Which I think got patched but I can't remember for certain.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

is that all lol i keep hearing about how big and long it is and how its like 3 games in one and its not even longer than bg2.

People keep missing poo poo, some of it is incredibly specific though.

I scraped Act 1, found out later I did miss at least one or two small things, and I still went into Act 2 with 68 hours on my save file. I honestly don't know how people are getting through it so fast while also claiming to have done everything unless they're just mistaken. Actually I suppose some solutions might be much quicker than others but perhaps with less favorable results depending on how you're roleplaying it, but I doubt it saves 10s of hours or whatever.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I still remember when I was bitching to my boss about the chip readers taking so long at stores, and he asked me what bank I used then told me they were a client of ours and it'd be faster when I finished the project I was working on. He was right, loads faster now.

That was 12 years ago. This poo poo ain't new here but it is up to the individual businesses to upgrade their poo poo and spoiler alert: a lot of them are cheapskates.

Edit: oh right, chip and pin for credit. The credit card companies are worried people will switch to someone else rather than have to memorize a number. Either way contactless is everywhere around me now and I live in a "fly over state".

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 10, 2023

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

History Comes Inside! posted:

They are cheaper

To manufacture

Probably

At the very least they've reduced it to one SKU and an attachment Blu-ray drive. It's just you can get it pre-installed for cheaper. That probably simplifies manufacturing significantly.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Hmm just noticed new ps5 has two usbs on the front, mfers

Oh dang, I checked the spec sheet and those are both USB-C ports, the A's are on the back only.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
If a PS5 Pro comes out that can do RT and steady 60fps I'd probably get it. When I got my PS4 Pro I sold it for like 100 under MSRP after transferring everything over, making the upgrade much cheaper than an equivalent PC one.

This time I'd probably just gift the og PS5 to my nephew if they still don't have one.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Hopper posted:

Yeah the problem with "We have Tom Holland a home" face is that he looks the least believably human, because of what they wanted to do but they couldn't so the face is between two real faces and doesn't look convincing.

This is really weird to read for me because I know someone that looks like the new face almost exactly (their hair is different now). Granted I've kinda always found their face off-putting, kinda like how some people have punchable faces but not that specifically.

SkeletonHero posted:

I've hated the Holland-redux face from day one. It's not a bad face out of context, but I can't buy him as a Spider-Man that's been at this a while, has a semi-functioning adult life as a serious boyfriend (at least twice!) and postgrad, and is now a mentor figure. He looks younger than Miles. The original face was also unbelievably fresh but I could at least buy that he was old enough to vote.

His old face looked too old though, he looked like he was in his mid 30s and not 23-24 like he's supposed to be I think (he's 8 years in and started at 15, right?). Might've seemed this way because his old face really looked like a de-aged Uncle Ben from the first movie.

The new face was stated to be a change to make it look more like Yuri Lowenthal but at first glance that doesn't track. The theory that it's an average of the movie Spider-Men's faces seems closer. If you watch him and video of the actor then the initial claim becomes a bit more believable at least.

They still shouldn't have changed it. That was a weird thing to do.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I just used fast travel in Spider-Man 2 and it's basically teleportation. From the financial district to Northern Queens in an instant. Shame I'll probably barely use it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Got platinum for Spider-Man 2, looks like it's another easy plat since it says over 10% of players have gotten it.

Game's great, really buggy right now but mostly little things, although the last leg of the game was immaculate for me. I think one of the biggest highlights for me was just how drat good the symbiote looked, it was basically perfect.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

mysterious frankie posted:

Serious question, how many people with plat find themselves having beef with people over pm, or getting lovely messages out of the blue? I’ve always wondered what people get up to in there.

The closest I have to that is a conversation with someone in support of their side of some crazy argument I don't remember and unfortunately little context was given in the PMs. I know it was in Games circa 2014 but that's about it.

I find PMs are mostly just good for SA Mart to buy stuff and commission art.

I always figured if someone tried to beef with someone in PMs they'd most likely post the PM in the related thread and get called out on it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
WTF is that Owen Wilson?

Teardown is great, if it handles well on PS5 I'll probably rebuy it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Morpheus posted:

Anyway, Teardown is fun, I can't imagine how difficult this poo poo is going to get in later levels when I'm scraping by in earlier ones with only a couple second remaining

From what I played on PC it seems to do a good job of giving you new tools while ramping up the challenge in a way where it stays fairly consistent.

Also if you aren't already make sure to scrounge levels for stuff to steal to get money for upgrades.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
While playing Teardown the other day I was doing the first mission for the level with the lighthouse and managed to get all 7 targets on my first try. It's only notable because I spent all the ammo I needed to do the setup I did on PC while I was scouring the level for valuables to steal for upgrades. So I had to do this instead and surprisingly it worked. The run starts at 1:24, the first bit is just there as proof that it's the initial run since I'm still setting up a crucial bit in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScixbOt4xIw

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

VG posted:

:???:
What on earth?

He really doesn't like Spider-Man 2. Not sure if liking a single player game ties into competitive online games and griefing much, but oh well.

Also I got that volcanic red dualsense, it looks nice but I have a soft spot for red and black tech. Not sure why, I don't really like red that much otherwise. It's also interesting to feel the comparison to my other controllers and how much they've been worn even though I don't have any issues like stick drift. The adaptive triggers not being broken-in is almost distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I just did another run through of Control because the regular edition of it for PS4 can't transfer its save to the PS5 version that I got with PS+. A bit of the way through I turned on a bunch of the accessibility options because I already did all of it and yeah, a lot of it is loving annoying. The game's story and characters are great but sometimes the gameplay is rough as hell. I'm gonna turn the "cheats" off for the dlc but I decided to finish Alan Wake 1 first.