Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the litmus test of whether ai can make art will be its affordance of training a person or other ai on a set of ai art and producing novel art. I suspect it won't, and will simply produce increasingly degenerate garbage, like a copy of a copy of a copy from a Xerox. but it might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Learning models are the sensory inputs for these programs, you could easily imagine it being hooked up to a camera taking a shitload of pictures of whatever subjects

no you couldn't.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

We're nowhere close to developing AI that functions similar to the human brain, especially considering we don't fully understand how it functions. Much like the art that's produced the machines function in a way that produces outcomes that are loose copies of what we can produce but the process is not the same and that difference in the process is crucial.

we have a very good understanding of how the brain functions, we just can't square what we understand with our assumptions that brains are the cause of behavior (because they're not, they're overgrown behavioral autopilots.)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

wouldn't it be easier to just gas the Succ thread?

why not both

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i'm tired of the ai art style already. next

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FFT posted:

machine learning has always been "do it wrong faster then adapt"

can't wait for the next ai winter so the computer fetishists will shut the hell up

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

An especially terrible reddit mod on /r/art banned someone because their drawing looked like AI art and doubled down when the artist offered to provide proof they drew it themself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4choxssoc

this last one was very funny because the nature of the models inherently lead to an "ai art style" that human pattern recognition easily picks up on, and then of course this happens. it's basically autotune for images.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

smarxist posted:

can't wait to see what kind of wacky terf-like "real art has X" poo poo we get

real art diverges, algorithmic art converges. simple as.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Did DALLE get much worse since a few months ago? It looks like DALLE mini now, particularly since Midjourney got good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfgs9FRD25M

Some of these require knowing who Al-Saqr is I suppose.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

people who get mad when other people aren't clapping their hands like trained seals at "artificial intelligence" have the same energy as people who get mad other people aren't excited about nfts

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tree Reformat posted:

Are these other people the same ones who get mad when people on twitter don't clap their hands like trained seals in excitement when they post their human-made art on the dopamine bird site?

i don't know. i do statistics and machine learning ai, not art

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

people always use trained seals as the thing that claps. Why not rear end cheeks? Mix it up, you don't have to write using only cliches, you're not an AI

have you seen seals clap? they're adorable.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think we should anthropomorphize equations instead of having fun with the new ml tools

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the equations are real and strong and my friends

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

check it out I had the equation figure out what it'd look like if we had babies

lmfao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

more images and less dumbass takes about how the exponential curvbe will definitely keep going up forever

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Futanari Damacy posted:

There was an article recently about how the signal cast from wifi can identify where you are in a room down to your body's exact orientation by what it bounces back or reads as negative space, similar to radar. The goal will be to train the AI on predictive behaviours leading up to the commission of a crime- a sort of, "pre-crime" if you will

in addition to echolocation, gait recognition is a thing machine learning legitimately does very well. :nsa:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

my favorite is when the algorithms just keep drawing more teeth and fingers

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tree Reformat posted:

So long as technological systems exist, that exploitation will always inevitably occur, no matter what economic system that you claim be under, because ultimately SOME individual human is physically directing the technology in some way. The totality of history of all civilization is the history of capitalist and imperialist exploitation, with technological "advancement" as its catalyst and primary vector of control.

We must seize the means of production in order to ultimately destroy them.

uphold marxist-leninist-kaczynskist thought

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

do you think machine learning can do

Tree Reformat posted:

We can already make bespoke models trained on specific types of images, and things like ChatGPT and Character.AI both use secondary ai to police the output of the generator AI. It's entirely possible to put those ideas together to create AuthenticEgyptianAI or whatever other style you'd want. You'd probably have to do a lot of specific training on images of each glyph and their exact meaning to get readable writing in there, but I'm not seeing anything that a generative system could never do given enough R&D.

and then go "i'm going to make something different from that"?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Futanari Damacy posted:

There doesn't seem to be much of a debate. A debate would imply some kind of argument being put forth that has merit and can be reasonably defended. To say "well the human brain is basically a computer... and you had to look at a tree to know what it looked like so your eyes and brain basically googled and stole the image..." demonstrates such a profound lack of understanding that it precludes any other premise from being taken seriously

everyone who thinks the mind is a computer either is or becomes a nazi

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

a lot of people seem to be treating ai generation as just a black box where you put a prompt in and a complete image comes out which you must use wholesale
which is understandable since it's still new and inaccessible and mostly being used by non-artistic computer nerds doing exactly that

but its most impactful use in the future will probably be as just one tool among many sitting in the photoshop tool palette for image & photo editing and digital art
https://files.catbox.moe/vn5jed.mp4
used for redrawing small sections of an image, adding background details you don't care too much about behind the main subject, adding texture or coloration to stuff, etc

yep

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

they'll be very accepting at first, and then increasingly less accepting, because generative art converges and human art diverges. it would take a very different kind of process than "ai" to produce output that is "different from this" instead of "like this."

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

porfiria posted:

Maybe, but it seems as though AI can be very quickly trained to emulate particular artists or modes.

https://restofworld.org/2022/ai-backlash-anime-artists/

Obviously none of that AI stuff is as good as the Real Kim Jung Gi, but the point is that there's a possibility that, whatever new original thing some human thinks up could be quickly assimilated and reproduced by the system.

it can definitely do that. it cannot make art.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

porfiria posted:

But, even supposing that's true, the live question is--can you tell the difference?

yes, you'll easily be able to tell the difference once the low hanging fruit phase ends. perception abhors convergence.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah but porfiria was talking about real world use cases and adoption or lack thereof
not meaningless philosophical definition wars

perception isn't philosophical. if you can generate endless variations on picasso, you'll simply get tired of picasso.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

captioned images of something taken by digital cameras do not capture anything at all about the essence of a dog

you can't pet a picture of a dog.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's true, if you wanna say "it's too derivative and won't catch on because of that" that's a reasonable point to make. (idk if i believe it considering the amount of same face anime art that exists on twitter but it's a consistent argument)
but that's a very different point from "it won't catch on because it's not art". i'm gonna take a guess and say less than 0.1% of the people retweeting youre poasts on twitter have read any academic papers about duchamp's fountain

you don't need to read papers to get tired of repetition. for my money, it's going to be like any other art tool where you'll have artists working to make content to train models.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

unauthorized copying is not and has never been "theft", despite what the riaa's pr campagins claim
and it's still up for debate whether this even counts as unauthorized copying

yeah i'm not fighting you on the repetition thing, I just took offense to tying that back into the old real-art-or-not debate

art is a process. ai is a different process. ai is not art.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i don't even know what a duchamp is but even I can see that if one is a convergent process and the other is a divergent process, you have two different processes. its not that hard. you're overthinking it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

some things just can't be explained. it\s NOT that i don't know what i'm talking about.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

indigi posted:

well if you want to go down that road the brush doesn't "know" anything either, and these AI models are just tools used by humans to create art

is this somehow controversial

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Seems like the resolution to this is that punching a prompt into a bot really does make you an artist, or at least a person who is doing art, but the idea of that is repulsive

why do you find that repulsive?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Not me personally, I have difficulty caring at all tbh, it's just the undercurrent that seems to be present in the discussion

It would satisfy both the people who say ai art is art, and the people who say dall-e is a glorified chat bot that steals people's big boob Mario pics. But it would mean that prompt typers are artists, which seemingly upsets art people, and that dall-e isn't in any way smart or revolutionary, which upsets tedious dorks

:hmmyes:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the xerox machine is sentient and it's making art

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

quote:

Future work exploring infants' knowledge about the world could extend our general approach to investigate other aspects of infant commonsense psychology. Because BIB's tasks are procedurally generated and presentationally consistent, for example, new tasks could easily be incorporated into BIB's dataset. Future studies might explore expectations of agents' notions of cost and value (Jara-Ettinger et al., 2016; Liu et al., 2017) or recognition of agents' actions that might signal potential social partnerships (Meltzoff, 2007; Powell & Spelke, 2013; Schachner & Carey, 2013; Tomasello, 2018). While we show that learning-driven neural-network approaches already fall short of infant's common sense on BIB's existing tasks, such expectations will nevertheless become increasingly important for AI too as it becomes further embedded in real-world, multi-agent settings that demand common sense. Extending our approach can ultimately inform comprehensive accounts of infants' knowledge not only about agents, but also about objects (Lin, Stavans, & Baillargeon, 2022; Spelke, 1990; Stahl & Feigenson, 2015) and places (Hermer & Spelke, 1994), allowing us to more fully describe the origins and development of human common sense and provide an avenue for building the future of human-like AI.

begging these people to read gibson to understand that behavior necessarily emerges from a complex and richly structured environment instead of publishing this infantile :razz: garbage.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Tree Reformat posted:

the "embodiment problem" baffles me

bodies are stupid, weak, slowly rotting sausages. figure out how to ship of theseus us into a bunch of servers already, nerds

never gonna happen. start hitting the gym 🖕

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

That ability will go away from anything that is institutionally funded (corporate, academics, whatever) shortly. Managerial types are already getting the idea that chatgpt is magic because their economic incentives are to reduce marginal costs, not to produce accurate and high quality outputs. The magic isn't that it replaces an illustrator's ability to accurately render a historical scene, based on all available reference materials. The magic is that it eliminates the cost of paying the artist. The fact that the illustration is now totally confabulated bullshit is completely ancillary because a) they can always apologize for that later and apologies are free, and b) if all the institutional powers that hold all the economic levers mutually agree that This Is Fine then they can just loving fact check and shout down the isolated individual people saying that the AI output is bullshit and reify a new system of values in which Whatever The Thing Produces Must Be Right. Don't believe me? Look at the opinion makers saying that a bullshit randomized controlled trial meta-analysis is a "gold standard" because it fits a desirable political-economic narrative and that physical process and engineering analysis showing the opposite must be wrong.

The end state is one in which you literally can't pay artists for institutional work anymore because that line item in your budget will never be approved.

yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ma i married a tuna posted:

It's the scheme to unify the world through a common enemy, like Ozymandias in Watchmen. Except the alien tentacle monster is Microsoft Bing.