Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Is anyone going to do the math of how much you get from the Battlepass using this conversion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

so does anyone know how to unlock characters for comp? because whenever I ask in game people just tell me to play the game but it feels pretty gross to play comp with a tiny fraction of the roster unlocked and its unclear if I specifically have to play in comp to unlock characters for comp

Your account is bugged and you should make a ticket. It might resolve itself eventually though. Otherwise it’s “win/play X games in any mode”.

Jack Trades posted:

Is it just my game or is the big OW2 feature, the Ping System, isn't even loving bound to any button by default?

It’s bound to middle mouse/Mouse3 by default. You might have that taken by something already?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack B Nimble posted:

Trying to spin back up my thoroughly mediocre gold-tier comp brain:

Where should I be, generally speaking, as Brig? Just behind the tank, trying to land whip shots? Further back and positioned at the mouth of a flank route so that I'm still with the team but I'll be the first person a flank dps encounters? Somewhere else? Do I want to wait near corners and surprise enemies?

Is a DPS that ends up in melee with Brig in trouble, or is the Brig in trouble? If it varies bases on the hero, what are some good and match ups.

Should I start a fight with charge + whip? Or charge, melee, whip to finish? Something else?

It depends on team comp, but you want to position similar to Ana; you want to be near the backline of your team so that you are not directly in the fray once the big fight starts, but close enough so that you can get help when a flanker comes through and ideally step a few steps forward to get a poking Whip Shot on the enemy front line to proc Inspire often. You cannot 1v1 anyone well, but you are a force multiplier to anything that becomes a 2v2 or higher. Your repair packs let you heal your own DPS really easily at ranges that only Ana and Kiriko enjoy. Like Lucio, when in doubt you should hang with your other support to help protect them, and then after the Tank initiates you jump in. Shield Bash is primarily a movement tool; only use it to engage when you can get the damage in and are committed for the kill.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I'll be honest I WANT to play like a baby rhine and it's got a real scrappy do dynamic where I land my charge, swing my hammer twice, and then die because lmao I'm not rhine.

I feel like the reality of the mechanics are a bit at odds with how the character is presented.

It sucks because you really can’t go balls deep. In OW1 you sometimes could once you have Rally Armor, but now it’s Temp Health in OW2 which doesn’t protect you anywhere near as much.

CuddleCryptid posted:

So what's the change with Mei? They dropped her ability to freeze people with her basic spray attack but increased the damage?

It’s more DPS than right click now and still slows, so you want to spend all your time bullying the enemy Tank and acting as an Off-Tank with your Wall and Ice Block.

Unlike Reaper who can just press E to Shadowstep into the enemy backline and then Shift to Wraith back to your team for healing on a perpetual loop. Yeah, you can still shoot the tank but it’s way faster to just kill the backline now. Can even work with Winston if you Shadowstep above/behind the dive target or into Winston bubble.

Proven fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 6, 2022

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack Trades posted:

I'd MUCH rather they made OW2 subscribtion-based to fund it.

I was really hoping switching to a battle pass system would provide for this. I didn’t realize they would then also make everything else so loving expensive. So now there’s three classes: free, buying BP as subscription, and whales. It really bugs me that this is how they want to treat the game going forward. I wonder how Halloween is going to go with all of those cosmetics. If there’s no way to earn holiday skins people might riot.

Jack Trades posted:

It would cost you 12000$ to buy all cosmetics in OW2 and vast VAST majority of them are just OW1 cosmetics.

12000 is a way larger number than 60.

This exact image was posted this before and as I asked then I ask again now: how much is this after the battlepass is taken into account?

Extra questions: considering lootboxes were on average 10 boxes per legendary skin, how much would this be in lootboxes? Or how much in time spent earning lootboxes?

OW2 is more expensive but I need a comparison point. Someone buying every skin in the game piecemeal is not a realistic comparison for anyone to present.

Fake Edit: Reddit is reporting that controller settings could be what’s causing some of the mouse aiming issues.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Don’t forget new characters are also level 55 on the free battlepass (meaning weeks of grinding), and unlocked via “challenges” (which we still have no details on) after the season ends.

Quad posted:

New Kiriko menu music tune has the exact same Generic Trap Beat as The Worst Fortnite Song and it fills me with an impotent rage that it is on purpose, that it is a finely crafted marketing decision to be as legally distinct from, but similar to, Fortnite in any way they can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QJM7mwPME&t=85s

for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXwrMsBfSVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbFhkuvgAM8

Reddit found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cI0LIMRcw

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Kwolok posted:

So what do people prefer to play, role queue or open queue?

Because if Arcade I’ve been doing a lot of Open Queue. It’s not as bad as I thought it would be. It’s also like OW1 where most people try to stick to 1-2-2, but even if the enemy team goes a second tank it usually means that a ranged DPS like Sojourn, Soldier, or Hanzo can just plink away at them from a flank and they can’t do much. My friend playing Zenyatta all the time probably helps too.

Edit: My only issue with Lucio is that him or Zen are always meta and I don’t have as much fun with them as other people do. I like actively healing and those two supports heal the most passively.

Proven fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2022

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How does Sombra actually work these days? The F1 help screen says her hack disables abilities which is... not true? I think only her EMP ultimate actually disables abilities anymore. I think hacking makes enemies more vulnerable to damage.

Either way, the hero info screen seems out-of-date for Sombra.

I also don't like how they took out the ability to practice heroes in the training range from the hero gallery. You can only manually click through to the training range.

Also, is it just me or is it really finicky to cancel the automatic queue for the next match? You have to hit ESC for the cancel button to appear then click it to cancel out.

Hack disables abilities for 1.75 seconds (up from 1 second during the beta).

It’s mostly for interrupting, but combined with the 40% damage boost the 1.75 seconds means you can delete an Ana before she can use grenade or sleep dart if you have enough headshot accuracy.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Kwolok posted:

I somehow got damage mitigated as Sombra. Health packs maybe?

Sombra’s teleport is a cleanse and you’re invincible during it. You can use it to shed a tracer bomb or dodge D.Va ult, or something simpler like Ashe fire damage. So maybe that’s it? Otherwise it’s counting canceling a damaging ability with a hack.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Mind over Matter posted:

Can someone please explain the Eliminations, Assists, and Final Blows to me? At first I thought that Eliminations were final hits and Assists were kills that you participated in but didn't land the last hit on. But Eliminations and Final Blows can be different numbers so I guess that's not it?

Eliminations are kills you got some amount of damage on before some minimum amount of time passes. I don’t know how healing and health packs affects this time, but if it’s been 5 seconds since you hit the person, you should always get elimination credit. Limit might be 10 seconds.

Final Blows are kills where you got the final hit in.

Assists are eliminations where someone else got the final blow and you contributed in some way that wasn’t damage. Whether healing/buffing someone who got elimination credit, or CCing/debuffing the player eliminated. In OW1 just healing would not give you assist credit in the upper right, but it would give you assist credit for stats and your scoreboard. There also was delineation for offensive and defensive assists.

Haven’t gotten to play much OW2 to see how much they’ve changed the system, but it should be pretty close to the same.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Healthiest way to live with comp is to see it as a mode with more challenging games where you’re trying to perfect your own game. Your team isn’t helping? Doesn’t matter, you need to focus on your own game or phone it in so you can “gg, next.”

For this reason, a number of people end up climbing better when they keep calm and treat it like a single player FPS. Pinging is supposed to help but we’ll see how that goes after a month.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Bottom Liner posted:

Ranked system seems overall improved except for overtime rules on some maps. Payload should default to time remaining if both teams finish instead of going to a third round.

The reasoning for this from OW1 was to not overly incentivize people to pick speedy characters to maximize speed over all else. I remember Jeff saying something like wanting slow push characters and teams to have a fair shot at winning. The goal of the game mode is to capture enough points, and time just gives you an advantage instead of being the win condition.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jimbot posted:

A few hours a day is pretty regular. Casual is that over a few days. Battle passes that expire are not casual friendly and it stinks. I'll complain about that expiration crap until I'm blue in the face forever because it's just bad.

Agreed.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

give Sigma a Spherical Cow charm

Unironically this.

Wankie posted:

I think part of problem is your sole win condition is does your tank know how to play the position or not? If your tank is worse you autolose if they are better you autowin. The Developers said they wanted to make each player more responsible for wins or loses but they didn't, they made the tank the only position that matters. Game play wise I think 5v5 was a colossal mistake if tanks are going to be so crazy overpowered compared to all the other roles.

If your Tank is bad and you’re DPS, you have to take out backline. Even if your Tank is good, you probably still should be focused on backline. You could be a character that needs to flank, or you can be a ranged character like Ashe that can shoot from the back of the team.

If your Tank is bad and you’re Support, you need to switch to Ana/Zen/Kiriko/Lucio and harass backline either from behind your team or from an angle, just like DPS.

Basically, you need to draw aggro off your Tank or draw support off the enemy Tank. You need to make the enemy team crumble before they run over your Tank.

If you’re bad at winning those fights in time for it to make a difference in the team fight, then you need to direct a teammate or two to help you or just accept that this game won’t be winnable but you’re getting practice at making this type of game winnable.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Sloppy posted:

Anyone know how I got to 5,000,000 MIT as Ana? Never seen that before. It was in MH.

Nanoboost 50% damage resistance counts as mitigation.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think the reason it feels different between Moira and Kiriko is just as simple as the hands. Kiriko holds and throws her kunai with her left hand and flings her talismans from her right. It probably sounds stupid but actually having the mouse button and actual hand animations line up feels better even if the default is actually more consistent with how other healers control.

I’m one of the few that don’t swap the mouse buttons for her, but this has made me realize why they bother to have her hands crossed on your screen. She heals with her right hand but the motion starts on the left side.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Vermain posted:

kiriko is just the better version of bap, unfortunately, assuming you have the hands to reflex suzu for reinhardt/zarya/reaper ults. i guess his AoE healing throughput is higher?

Eh, Bap has better AoE healing while Kiriko has better mobility. I end up preferring them for different situations.

Both of them also have optimal rhythms for damaging and healing at the same time and I suck with both at not overly focusing on damaging or healing only.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Re: Payload chat.

There actually is a UI element to this from OW1. The more arrows there are, the faster it’s going.

On Payload maps, each person on the payload adds an arrow up to a max of 3. There are diminishing returns for each person, however.

On Push maps, the max is one arrow while pushing, and two arrows while moving the bot back to the barrier to push. You only ever need one person to get these arrows.

I don’t remember for Control Points. I believe it’s one person for max speed as well, but I know in OW1 they also messed up the defense spawns if you had more people on it for a long enough period of time. They may or may not have changed that, as it feels harder to stall.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Bastion as it is now is comically a lot like Sojourn without the full dash. You wait for an opportune moment, walk onto a flank or use your grenade to quickly obtain high ground, and you try to get a quick pick with his turret mode before falling back to safety. You can’t go as far as Soldier or Sojourn to flank, but you’re better against Tanks so you don’t need to always flank. His primary also has similar fall-off to Soldier’s with less recoil, so if you get even a little high ground you can plink away at backline and force some cooldowns/attention if it’s too dangerous or not possible to burn down the tank (i.e. all the tanks can eat your burst long enough to get back to cover if they save their resources specifically for you, which can then get you punished since you’re slowed while in turret mode).

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

teagone posted:

ctrl+shift+c hides the chat window.

This, and also command /hidechat

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Futaba Anzu posted:

Working on Reaper

To echo what others have said, here’s the best I can give to help with Reaper, although it’s OW1: https://youtu.be/ZHE8og5MWqE

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I have a bunch of terrible strategies:

1. Zen Orb Barrage
2. Bap using Lamp
3. Moira hard flank

Moira one actually has given me the most success at my level, and I see people like ArcX or whatever his name is do it in GM.

Realistically, the only options are to out snipe her or flank her, and the Support category has a lot of ways to support and enable others doing that but very little designed for the Support players themselves.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack B Nimble posted:

He shot Rhine from too far, and he shot rhine in the head, but he didn't shoot rhine up close in the body, which is the right way to do it?

His Diva point, I dunno, I'm in bronze and I see Divas dive constantly. I don't think this poo poo is as true as he's saying.

I’m in gold and whenever I quick play I always see D.Va players frontline like that.

What’s Reaper’s fall off range?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
If you keep up Inspire up time you’ll do fine with Brig. Otherwise, why not try Moira for someone not too aim intensive.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

teagone posted:

That makes sense, but the game could be more clear about it.

[edit] Oh wait, so if Ram's ult is a transformation.......

lmao.

Bastion is now also a transformation and not a channeled ability, so yeah, Rammatra can probably only be interrupted from his block.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Yeah, the Bronze roasts are a gimmick that people submit themselves for on purpose. Some other coaches, even Spilo, will do a roast review on request.

Flats is one of the chillest but between his recent video and his appearance on SVB’s podcast he’s said himself that he’s snapped. For him, it’s become a Tank Hard Counter Meta 2.0, but with Hog having the S1-start Zarya position which is even worse to him.

I haven’t had much time in comp, but it hasn’t felt that bad in Quick Play, maybe because I’ve played 5 hours total in the 7 days and I made my peace with Hog as a Support main many years ago.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
It’s more or less the same matchmaking as OW1 on the backend, but new game and dynamics, and mechanics are a little snowbally between people being easily tilted, strong new characters, and ultimates. I love Push, but the only good point I’ve seen made against it is the fact that it’s a best of 1 and there’s no chance for a mental reset like in other modes.

https://youtu.be/N8ruvBVyP5o

If anything, the game is more aggressive at putting you against people of your MMR, which means if your team makes a few too many mistakes early then the enemy team is always at the minimum level where they can punish that hard.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

headcase posted:

This is all seems entirely untrue to me. They are intentionally and unintentionally putting people at SRs that are way below their MMR. Because of this, you run into people at all kinds of various stages of the season climb, including first seasonal games when they are way underranked. The game is less ult dependant, more swingy in game (especially push vs 2cp). You can pretty much always recover (skill differences aside).

Actually the real reason matchmaking is weird right now is because people that were good at OW1 and bad at OW2 and the other way around are moving a lot right now. Also a bunch of people coming back after years off and drifting around.

I just don't see how you can interpret OW2 this way.

Part of the reason I can easily believe this is because of what they themselves have said:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23857518/initializing-systems-updating-competitive-play-for-overwatch-2/

quote:

Skill tier and division aren’t completely aligned with the matchmaking rating we use to determine matches. To this end, this screen has been redesigned so you can instead display your name cards and titles.

There was the Bronze Rank bug, but that shouldn’t have had an effect with MMR. Multiple Unranked to Gm streams where after a dozen games or so, they are already playing against Masters average at minimum when their Skill Tier still shows at Platinum or Diamond.

And again: https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/1600565858132062208

All games are made based off MMR. Rank is not tied to MMR. It is likely performance has an effect on your gains because that’s how it worked in OW1 for everyone below Diamond. But winning matches will still be the biggest determining factor.

It probably doesn’t help that supports are now the ones being pulled into games further out from their skill level, compared to Tanks near the end of OW1. Support role as a whole has a larger mechanical requirement to doing well in OW2 compared to the average in OW1. Even Mercy has more mechanical expression now. But the effect of a good support player in an even skill lobby is the most invisible to everyone, including the average support player.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
My personal belief is that after-match reports suck because Blizzard hasn’t finished designing or coding all the ideas they had for it, as despite taking it off the marketing this still feels like an Early Access title.

At the minimum, not showing rank during matches has helped me and many others with ranked anxiety.

For everything else, Blizzard needs a competitive director to make some decisions and push things forward. Everything else feels like a compromise between how players act, what players say they want vs. what they may really want, and leftover stuff from OW1 they just brought over with some tweaking and not a lot of thought.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Aexo posted:

Bastion Gingerbread skin for one coin:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23892140/

Info on match making:

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-gb/news/23896785/overwatch-2-developer-blog-matchmaker-and-competitive-deep-dive-part-1/

I feel like they did the streak-y SR/MMR boost in OW1, didn't they?

quote:

All our game modes, including Competitive, only look at MMR when forming a match. We never use your outward facing skill tier or division to form matches. Likewise, the rank you see in a player’s profile isn’t the same as their MMR.

quote:

It’s also important to remember that our teammates are human. We don’t always perform the same from game to game or even team fight to team fight.

To the conversation that I missed over the past few days, yes it could be bugged, but there could also be a host of other reasons for weird games.

For another recent post, how can a matchmaker account for leavers outside of suspensions and banning?

Overwatch is 10x better with people you agree to group up with beforehand that are on the same level of competitiveness as you, no matter what game mode you’re playing. Hoping they’ll eventually do some temporary in-game leagues for this reason.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Playing Junker Queen, the jump pads on Illios Ruins meant that the Pharah players started avoiding me and chasing the Widowmaker on the other side of the map.

I like the event. First time I’ve ever actually played deathmatch in since OW2 launch since I prefer Tanks and Supports and oddball Damage characters.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You should still get the self-heal from the knife bleed even if it's being healed, so there's value in throwing the knife into someone as you engage and leaving it there to give you a steady stream of self-sustain for three seconds, which you can stack with additional bleed from Carnage.

They shouldn't have nerfed the impact damage either way.

So people know, both before and after patch if you pull the knife out of someone immediately you still get the bleed.

Junker Queen sustain got buffed in multiple ways. There’s the extra healing from last patch, there’s now immediate healing for your bleeds on kill (so a Carnage final blow in a fight will be a small health pack), and now you can stack 3 or 4 different bleeds at once on a single target (Ultimate+Carnage+Melee+Knife direct)

Since the knife impact got buffed to be another separate bleed counter, they nerfed its damage a little. It does mean she loses some consistency on knife pull -> shoot -> melee combo but that wasn’t doing 200 damage without a headshot or using Carnage anyway, and they buffed Carnage cooldown on hit. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but her shotgun does somewhere in the range of 50-60 damage on a meat shot, so it’s always been a four shot kill on a squishy without headshots. Her sustain has been buffed a ton and while she’s still weak to burst damage and will always need to flank or approach from cover, that’s just her design.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
One thing I wonder about is the fact that MMR being an ELO system means that everything is spread out and fits the standard deviation curve or whatever it’s called. But what if the median skill level that puts a tank in gold is equivalent to a different median rank for damage? What is the average skill level of the player base on each role, and also how spread apart are the skill levels of people within that role?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

headcase posted:

It would be really hard to measure that first question since different skills are more important in each role. Your assumption is that one role attracts players that are overall worse at video games, or maybe one role is so unpopular that good players just don't choose it. It's kind of irrelevant though. If you win half your games, you are at the right rank. I'm sure people that choose heals don't aim train as much as DPS, but does that make them worse players?

e: i misunderstood the second question. I think the spread has to be generally the same in each role since the criteria for skill level is winning games. If you have some other criteria for skill level then ???. If one role were more of a crap-shoot with no impact on the game, there would be more players hovering around the middle and smaller tails on the distribution. Same if it were hard to understand how to impact games in the role. I wouldn't attribute the spread to the skill level of the players, but yeah. I guess if one role attracted all the dumb people, they would have trouble understanding how to impact games. They would just trade wins around the median with a little bit of variance.

I'd like to see it plotted.

comedyblissoption posted:

whether or not it's true, it doesn't matter for matchmaking. for a balanced match, you just need to be sure that the two tanks facing each other have a similar mmr. so if your tanks have the same elo rating, that means they are in the grand scheme in a 50% matchup against each other (ignoring map, team comp, team rating, bad matchups, bad day, etc.)

since tanks do play a much more important role, it is much more important that the matchmaking have a tighter band for matching tanks. this might already automatically be true since it's the most queued for role.

also, remember, ow2 is just much more snowbally. ult snowballs harder. having one weak link in your team that is exploited easily by the enemy to get first picked easily or vice versa can just have everything immediately fall apart in the first few team fights until they adjust and then it's already over.
Okay, these are points I didn’t think about. My thought at the time was that at GM all roles would be more consistent, but then I forgot that the same types of games happen in GM compared to low ranks, just with more Roadhog.

I agree on all the reasons OW2 is more snowbally. Even easier for me to just say “gg go next” into the next game.

dogstile posted:

Tank diff is usually so weird anyway. I completely poo poo on a guy playing JQ, then the next match i face him again but my team is pocketing the dps and ignoring me, they're not getting the picks they need and i'm basically just being run over without heals.

Get's called tank diff, but its just a team dynamic not working out.

Team dynamic and positioning for the team we’re fighting against are the main reasons I see losses. If we’re not putting enough pressure from flanking or staying safe enough, or if the team isn’t competing together to solve the puzzle of how to adjust and get a win condition, then people tilt and I’m glad the average game is 10-15 min.

How do people constantly play through long matches of League and Valorant?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I mean sure, if you ignore everything dogstile and others have put in this thread. I see the same thing happen with streamers where they say “support has no impact, well except…”

A team’s foundation is the Supports, and they help enable the Tanks and DPS. The Tank then gets space and attention for the DPS to do work. The DPS then needs to do what they can with the space they have to take out threats to their team (DPS and Tanks) or to distract/assassinate the enemy Supports which will then cause a team to crumble.

Supports get some of the longest cooldowns and most impactful abilities. You can’t say a match with Damage Boost or Discord doesn’t feel different from a match with anti-nades and cleanses. Resurrection helps in One-Shot metas and Immortality Field is one of the few non-ult options that help keep ults from often being an I Win button.

And we’re getting more supports this year + a chance of them figuring out some new utility for Moira so stuff will only get crazier. Brig is even supposed to get a new Ult next season.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

dogstile posted:

I think the only problem with support right now is that if you're good at the game, it doesn't feel like you do have an impact.

Higher level players will just go through their mental checklist. "Can i be picked here" "Do i have abilities up" "Does the enemy have abilities up" and then the game mostly boils down to you just kind of doing your thing, taking fight losses when you have to (nanoblade, etc).

You obviously do have an impact, try not doing those things at those levels, you'll fall over pretty quick. But you also don't really have the gamechanging feel that others have. If I land a hook on the enemy healer, you're drat right I feel good about it. If I press Q as soljourn and lazily kill the enemy team with my bullshit ult, i feel like i've won a fight.

Meanwhile, as Ana, even at GM, 90% of my sleeps get woken up. The remaining 10% get cleansed. Nice.

I hear you. For me personally I still like playing Support because I live for smaller moments.

When I hit an anti-nade at the right time to break a fight open or turn the momentum in one we’re losing.

When I dance around a chasing Winston or other dive characters as Mercy, or when I use Valkyrie to fly to someone across the map and give them the spot healing they need to stay alive.

When I use Immortality Field in order to stand my ground against D.Va bomb or some other big damage so the team can keep shooting, then quickly give a Heal Burst to everyone. Also when I plop down Amplification Matrix to burst Orisa or some other tank that thinks they have the cooldowns to survive so far out of cover.

At one point years ago Ster put out a YouTube video where he said that Tanks and DPS get all the UI feedback for eliminations and headshots and that there should be something for when Supports get a clutch heal in. That actually was added to the game, and I live for those Player Saved sounds, even if half the time I get them it’s because I was only able to prolong their life for half a second as Ana while they were being focused and out of position. Mercy has it easy because she always gets Player Saved when she uses Resurrect, and whenever I’m playing Tank or Damage and hear that sound, I make it a point to thank the Support that saved my life while I was getting my rear end shot up by the enemy.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

SadisTech posted:

Err... anyone else having an issue where NO game replays or reports are available now? As in the list stays permanently empty?

Been hearing about this from people on Twitter. Some kind of random bug, and the only way to fix it seems to be playing a match (some have had it work with quick play, some with comp) or just sitting in game long enough for your client to resync to the replay server or something.

headcase posted:

comp CTF is fun, but frustrating because nobody understands how to win. Nobody plays it long enough to understand.

My understanding is: stay together, get picks, win fights, don't protect the flag, always try to hit them head on on the way back.

It ends up being like a normal mode. You just have to manage the objective and win fights. If they split up into offense and defense it is a huge advantage for you.

This.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
With the minor Zarya buff people have started playing her into Orisa.

There are still enough times where I go against Ashe/Widow/Hanzo that even with Sojourn I just go Winston. Especially on Circuit Royal first and second.

Rammatra is very fun and Orisa is very zen, so this should be the meta for me but I’ve just been forcing Junker Queen as much as possible. The only issue is that she’s like Ball in the sense that your team cannot run it down middle if they’re not a Widow or Sojourn with extreme range.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

SadisTech posted:

And again, that is true and yet completely missing the point of complaint.

Those people who can shrug it off are in an absolute minority and the rest of the player base are not salty, not whining and not permanently tilted for an entirely normal take on a very poor aspect of the game's current design.

To me, this is the crux of all the back and forth. If you believe the above you’re on one side of the divide, if you don’t you’re on the other.

Personally, I believe OW2 is a new game, a hard game, and a game with snowballey mechanics. It can be very team dependent but there are options (though difficult) for people to deal with a weaker tank (flank supports), weaker DPS (interrupt duels), and weaker supports (cover, cover, cover). I also believe that every game comes down to whether or not you can work with your team better than the enemy can, and sometimes you can’t so you do your best, gg, and then move on.

And I don’t believe it’ll ever get much better, even with matchmaking adjustments on the backend.

Edit: accidentally clipped out the part complaining about tank variance. Oh well. That’s what the above refers too.

Proven fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

dogstile posted:

I maintain OW1 should have just gone "lol, lets get wild" and really cranked up supports utility abilities and lowered their healing drastically, because that opens things up for the DPS.

Only thing I would worry is that some people tend to really rage at support abilities when they do their job at keeping people in the fight (Rez, Lamp, Suzu) or when they cause them to die much faster (Blue beam, Discord).

Speed Boost is the most enjoyed support ability and I don’t like it because I don’t want a game where the default for every comp is to see if you can do it with Speed. Second most enjoyed is probably Anti-Nade.

But I would enjoy if Supports got crazier abilities too and would accept if everyone had low healing across the board.