Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mila kunis posted:

found an interesting resource on how the AFU became one of the best militaries in the world and fought the russians to a standstill

Jesus, that dude is real horned-up to kill some civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Big "Trump shouting at kid mowing lawn" energy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I strongly doubt Biden personally visited Kyiv to tell Zelensky the spigot was about to be turned off. He would have sent Harris or Blinken to do that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm extremely comfortable with viewing any unconfirmed rumors about this Reddit-rear end war with healthy skepticism. Except of course the incontrovertible fact the US blew up Nordstream and the also incontrovertible fact that Putin has extremely kissable lips.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm very glad that I've never been terminally online enough for the closure of a single forum thread to completely shatter my mind and send me hooting and hollering into the woods.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Al-Saqr posted:

I have really bad news about the state of your mental health if you're posting here.

Its still better than GBS posters at least.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tafferling posted:

I still remain strongly unconvinced about the presumed nazification of Ukrainian society.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/kiev-renames-major-street-to-honor-russian-nazi-collaborator/

quote:

Bandera was a leader of Ukraine’s nationalist movement in the 1930s and 1940s, which included an insurgent army that fought alongside Nazi soldiers during part of the Second World War. Bandera’s supporters claim they sided with the Nazis against the Soviet army, believing that Adolf Hitler would grant Ukraine independence.

https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/ukraine-designates-national-holiday-for-nazi-collaborator/

quote:

Separately, Ukraine’s State Committee on Television and Radio Broadcasting banned “Book of Thieves” by Swedish historian Anders Rydell, which includes critical analysis of the actions of Symon Petliura, an early-20th century nationalist whose troops murdered countless Jews in pogroms beginning in 1919.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hundreds-of-ukrainian-nationalists-march-in-in-honor-of-nazi-collaborator/

quote:

“Today, when there is a war with the occupier at the front, and the struggle against the ‘fifth column’ continues in the rear, we remember and honor the memory of Stepan Bandera,” said Andriy Tarasenko, leader of the nationalist party Right Sector.

During World War II, Bandera led the Ukrainian Insurgent Army, whose men killed thousands of Jews and Poles, including women and children, while fighting alongside Nazi Germany against the Red Army and communists.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cohen-ukraine-commentary/commentary-ukraines-neo-nazi-problem-idUSKBN1GV2TY

quote:

A January 28 demonstration, in Kiev, by 600 members of the so-called “National Militia,” a newly-formed ultranationalist group that vows “to use force to establish order,” illustrates this threat. While the group’s Kiev launch was peaceful, National Militia members in balaclavas stormed a city council meeting in the central Ukrainian town of Cherkasy the following day, skirmishing with deputies and forcing them to pass a new budget.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
ukraine's posting front collapsed, retreating gbs posters are scorching the forums behind them as they flee

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tafferling posted:

Not reading any of that in the poop thread

Instead, I still laugh when I think about Putin falling down some steps, breaking his tailbone and involuntarily filling his pants with poo poo.

That's fine, fellow traveler. The longer you remain in this thread, the more Putin Radiation will sink into your DNA. After one week of exposure, you will have no thoughts about Putin except for his soft lips and delicate hands.

1stGear has issued a correction as of 14:50 on Feb 25, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VorpalFish posted:

Kinda seems like that's not true, as they are actively engaged in trying to conquer and dominate the world right now.

ukraine is not the world

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Russia is conscripting literally everyone in the country and sending them into the meat grinder but also its only sending ethnic minorities into the meat grinder but also we should kill all those subhuman dogs and nuke Moscow anyway

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I keep starting Baby's First Geopolitics posts, but then remember its all poo poo that's blindingly obvious and known to everyone who regularly reads this thread and not worth spending the effort on for some GBS dipshit who's going to get bored and wander off when they discover a subreddit dedicated to posting clips of Russians getting blown up.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ukraine already has experience annexing regions that want to be independent, just ask Crimea.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

HonorableTB posted:

they didnt, that land was stolen and really russia is an illegitimate state that should be dissolved and reduced to constituent ethnic republics THANKS

quote:

Russians constitute the majority in Crimea (71.7% in Sevastopol and 58.5% in the Autonomous republic of Crimea),[1] the southern peninsula which the Soviet government transferred from the Russian SFSR to the Ukrainian SSR in 1954.

Outside of Crimea, Russians are the largest ethnic group in [3] Donetsk (48.2%) and Makiyivka (50.8%) in Donetsk Oblast, Ternivka (52.9%) in Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, Krasnodon (63.3%) and Sverdlovsk (58.7%) and Krasnodonskyi raion (51.7%) and Stanychno-Luhanskyi (61.1%) raion in Luhansk Oblast, Reni (70.54%) and Izmail (43.7%) in Odesa Oblast, Putyvl Raion (51.6%) in Sumy Oblast.[4]

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its ridiculous that Putin is using "We have to defend ethnic Russians in foreign countries from oppression" as a justification for invasion, anyway, any Russians living west of the Urals should be driven off their land.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

speng31b posted:

prove you deserve it, make the tankiest post you can think of

have we considered that the people who got purged had bad vibes

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I wonder how long it would take NAFO to notice if you snuck in a wojak in a Wehrmacht uniform on the left side.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Are there any indications that Russia has the forces in position to push past Bakhmut and that weather conditions will allow that?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
One of these days an intern at whatever the Canadian CIA is is going to find this thread and FF is gonna get black bagged.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

drat that's a lot of bicycles

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

im pro-ukraine now

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm glad Ukraine discourse is coming back around to "Nuclear war wouldn't be that bad you pussies", that was definitely the least terrifying part of last year.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

lol

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1636747690188107776

nafo infowar fanfiction is one hell of an alternate reality

LvivTyler is a great user name though, drat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
ISW claiming Ukrainians are doing a counteroffensive near Chasiv Yar.

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1637636695653855234

lmao I haven't read an ISW report for a while and it's wild how they are basically just press releases for the Ukrainian military.

1stGear has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Mar 20, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Why would rich people be upset about the poors dying?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Al-Saqr posted:

heres a question

why does nobody ever ask themselves "why did this happen and how"

instead they insist on going "goo goo gaa gaa harry potter voldemort sauron"

Historical context is for suckers, all I need to know was taught to me by the State Department.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Isn't Germany having a general strike literally right now because the economy is crumbling? And they want to pour more money into Ukraine?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Ending the war in 24 hours would be real easy. You would just have to announce the cessation of US aid.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CODChimera posted:

yeah but what about the land

Ukraine could keep contesting it, but I'd imagine even Russia could bumblefuck their way to victory when their opponents run out of money.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexandruC4/status/1642589506728542210

cant believe putin would just murder this guy who most definitely was critical of russia invading ukraine like this tweet is implying

Very fun watching UR supporters crow about cool it is this guy got killed but also it's impossible Ukraine did it, they're too pure and noble to kill people who deserve it.

Like drat, if I was morally invested in one side of this war I would absolutely be attributing every bombing to my team, hell yeah, we can kill your milbloggers and people's daughters whenever we want to.

Also, Putler, please nuke something so this thread has something to talk about other than old-rear end video games.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yeah, we should restore Crimea to its 1991 borders, I agree.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Man, and I was worried there was going to be nothing to talk about for the next month.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
An offensive towards Crimea seemed like a long shot before but if that document is even remotely accurate, trying to cross the Dneiper would be insane.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Ukraine will be out of air defense munitions in less than two months" seems bad.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

euphronius posted:

I’m not clicking. where does it come from ?

It has its origins in 19th-century Ukrainian nationalism, so therefore its totally irrelevant that Bandera used it as the flag for his branch of the OUN and its been widely adopted by modern Ukrainian nationalists because symbols always maintain their pure and innocent origins, like the swastika.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Let's see what other topics Ukraine Explainers has threads about :

Boy, I bet this person has some Very Interesting Opinions on what should happen to ethnic Russians in Crimea/Donetsk/Lughansk.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Maximum "comedy" option: the UKR did expend all of their planned offensive units in Bakhmut, but they're still going to attempt one anyway because they have to have some kind of aggressive action to keep the aid money flowing in.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Alright, I think this will be my new conspiracy theory. Lenin was actually a Secret Swede (descendant of the captives of Poltava) who was seeking to bring down Russian from within; the revenge of Karl XII

That really isn't that much different from the whole "Lenin was a secret German agent" theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's the Radio General games, one set in Vietnam and the other in WW2 (as Canadians!). There's a few levels of realism, but in all of them your only view of the battlefield is getting radio reports from your units and having to manually put down markers for where you think your guys and the bad guys are.

There was also a much more grognardy Cold-War-gone-hot kind of game that simulated communication delays and fog of war, but it forget it's name. Flashpoint Something I think.