Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Personally I absolutely adore Dalwhinnie to drink. However I’m a huge fan of Ardbeg for making my whisky and ginger fudge- the smokey flavour really comes through amazingly.

Also right now I’m laid up on enforced bedrest while pumped full of diazepam and naproxen after getting hit with crippling back spasms. Apparently making something in the region of 200kg of fudge recently and working non stop since mid October without two days off together are bad for the body and soul- who would have thunk it?

Luckily my apprentice has turned out to be super talented at fudge making and is able to take up some of the slack, as well as helping lift me off the floor when my back went and left me doing an impression of an overturned turtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Well poo poo. Just got told that a medicine I need to take twice daily is ‘out of stock nationwide’ due to ‘supply issues’. I have about three days supply left.

This going to loving suck

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Convex posted:

loving hell, are you ok?

I’ve got enough to taper down, but given it’s already an incredibly stressful time and it’s an antidepressant (the first I’ve found that really works for me), yeah.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Christ, have they proposed any alternative medication that could alleviate the worst of it?

My doc has written to my psychiatrist, but it’ll take time.

Gambrinus posted:

What is it and which pharmacy is it ? (Not the address, just the company).

Bupropion- and the message came from my GP.

I’m lucky enough to now have a bloody brilliant local medical practice who are super easy to deal with, so it’s not quite as scary as when I lived in London.. but still.

In extremism I can probably get some shipped in from overseas but holy poo poo is that expensive.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Barry Foster posted:

Bupropion, that's a very rare one in the UK - I didn't even realise you can get it on the NHS (maybe you got it privately though?)

I hope someone comes through for you. For what it's worth - and I know it's scant comfort - I'm pretty sure NDRIs don't have nearly as bad withdrawal symptoms as SSRIs or SNRIs. If worst comes to worst, you're going to lose the antidepressant effect (obviously) but you shouldn't be too uncomfortable

Initially prescribed privately, then through share-care or whatever it’s called from my local gp.

My London gp was loving awful to deal with and flat out lied to me several times about prescribing it. Moved up here, explained the situation and was told ‘We need to figure out how to do this, but we’ll find a way’ and had the repeat script three days later.

And tbh it’s the antidepressant effect I’m scared about losing- i’ve used sooo many other drugs that just didn’t work (probably because my issue is with noradrenaline or dopamine, not seratonin). And life is stressful as gently caress atm- I’ve been working solidly since mid October with one weekend off the whole time (done a /lot/ of trade and my best month ever, but still broke..), things are stressed in my marriage and Christmas is coming up which always pushes my stress levels through the roof.

Bah, I’ll stop whining. Thanks for listening folks.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

HopperUK posted:

There are a lot of supply issues right now. Today we're out of liquid penicillin. You know, like kids might need, for strep A infections.

Thank Christ I managed to find a few more day’s supply by rooting through drawers, spongebags etc. But unless I can sort something out (or go down to half doses) I still run out in less than a fortnight. Just in time for a stressful af Christmas. Woo!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wasn’t there some big thing about Kate making it her life’s ambition to marry him before they ever even met because like all members of the upper classes she’s a power hungry nutter?

Can confirm. My little brother went to school with her (and made out with her at least once) and apparently she was ‘target fixated’ even as a mid-teen.

Edit: she’s also upper-middle class, rather than upper class.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Dogatron posted:

gently caress off- she is not middle class at all. She is posh as you get. Wikipedia describe her as living in a 1 million flat with her sister prior to marrying the inbred german bastard.

In 2018, Catherine's total net worth was estimated at £5–7.3 million, most of which is from her parents' company- from wikipedia.

Yeah, that’s ‘upper middle’. The upper class is the traditional aristocracy landowner types. Way it was explained to me was that if you’re wealthy and your money comes from a business/work then you’re upper-middle; if it’s generational or comes from owning land in its entirety (generally due to some ancestor loving a king or whatever) then that’s yer upper class types. Who are often more cash-poor than the upper middle classes.

Edit: as an example (and thought experiment) my parents were extremely wealthy, but from their professions- one was a barrister, one an accountant. Upper middle. I was raised that way, went to public school but then ended up working as a security guard/manager for much of my 20s and a good chunk of my 30s. Then spent years too sick to work, and now I make fudge, employ an apprentice to help with the cooking and several friends to help with sales and packaging. I could feasibly make a claim to be anything from underclass to upper middle class and all points j between depending on how you judge such things.

Whereas if you’re upper class then you’re upper class if you’re flat broke. It’s as much about connections/familial status as wealth.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 12, 2022

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So I got back the results of a sleep study I did in august (referred this time last year) and apparently I have ‘very severe’ sleep apnea- I stop breathing over 70 times an hour while sleeping. They’re fitting me with a cpap system asap (so probably next June at this rate..)- anyone got any input on how they are to wear, what sort of changes I should expect etc?

And on the topic of feline mental health, we are convinced that Digby our Maine coon is autistic. He can’t seem to ‘speak’ cat, he adores repetitive actions (he was thwacking a cardboard flap for half an hour last night), he’s very emotionally ’extra’. I mean, it really is as if he’s my feline offspring- over bred, blond, autistic, super hairy, suffers from IBS…

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Tbh I’m really looking forwards to getting started with the machine- I wake up every morning after eight hours of sleep still knackered and find it really hard to get anything done at all during the mornings as a result. Luckily I work for myself and fudge isn’t exactly time sensitive as to when it gets made, but it really does get me down that most days I can’t even get going till lunch time.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Echoing the chorus to all lurkers- just post. I lurked this thread for years barely posting at all, but ended up launching a thriving business through it pretty much out of the blue and received nothing but kind words and support (and not a single person has raised complaint about the amount of boiled sugar content we have these days).

Like a lot of us here, I’m autistic as all gently caress and thus kind of struggle to build connections but the community we have here has kept me going through some seriously rough times. And if a messed up ex-public schoolboy can be made to feel welcome, no reason anyone else shouldn’t be!

On another note, last week we passed the three year anniversary of my launching Fudjit here, and it’s gone from selling a couple of hundred quid’s worth of fudge to some brave souls here at the arse end of 2019 to a business that’s made multiple tens of thousands of pounds in the past calendar year, and provided employment to three other people aside from myself. It’d never have happened without you lovely folks.

And it’s great to be able to drop the phrase ‘I started with the support of a coterie of internet communists’ when being interviewed by the BBC. Lol.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Failed Imagineer posted:

Good reminder to check your CO alarms this holiday season!

Oh god, our one (7 years old) malfunctioned last night and kept giving false alarms (even when outside, at 1am in the middle of the countryside).

Got a brand new one today and it’s registering zero, thank gently caress.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

jaete posted:

:emptyquote:

Anecdotally, it seems this year's flu/cold/influenza/covid/whatever wave has been hitting much harder than before, literally everyone I know has had some kind of cold/etc within the last month

Get jabbed y'all, it's good

There’s a cold that’s torn through my family. I got it almost two weeks ago, and I’m still coughing up chunks of stuff and so hard that it’s made me puke a couple of times.

And that’s after the Covid booster and flu jab. Sucks.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can’t play it without it :science:

It’s a lasting regret of mine that I’ve never got to play it; I have an unnatural love for huge gimmicky controls like that.

How well does it actually work for the game?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Microplastics posted:

For the past two weeks I've had this sickly illness, possibly the worst thing I've ever experienced and that's including flus and covid.

The cough has been the main symptom, it's worse in the mornings and evenings and sometimes wakes me up at night. Each time I cough I feel sticky phlegm move at the back of my throat, I can breathe slightly easier but I feel compelled to swallow, putting the phlegm back where it was. I can't cough it out. Sometimes the cough makes me retch, almost enough to make me vomit. I've had this cough for the full two weeks.

Recently each cough has made my head feel like it's about to explode. I've been mainlining paracetamol to the maximum dose for days now.

Other symptoms have come and gone - runny nose (was brief), bunged up sinus, feeling cold (most of the time). For 4 of the nights (not in a row) I've woken up in sweats. I didn't even feel hot or cold (just sodden). And for the past two days a disgusting smell&taste (which I can't describe) has pervaded my whole mouth/throat/sinus, like I can somehow smell the virus laden phlegm sitting there, rotting. Nothing gets rid of it, it spoils everything I eat.

I've never had, or heard of, a flu like it. Others I know describe similar symptoms (especially my dad who has the same symptoms), but even people I've never met have been describing this. It seems to be going around. And it suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Had a horrible cold with a cough exactly as you described in the second week of December, it’s only in the past couple of days I’ve not been hacking stuff up. Had a coughing fit so hard on Boxing Day it made me simultaneously poo poo and puke.. luckily I was already hiding from family in the loo lol.

It does seem to be going around, but if it’s the same bug you should be okay soon from your timeline.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

feedmegin posted:

Whenever I move house (more than I like), my cat will start screaming from as soon as the car/van starts and reliably poo poo himself about 5 minutes in. Do not recommend a 3 hour drive after that.

My horrors tend to do the same (and when a Maine coon shits itself in a confined space the results are /not/ pretty).

When we moved from London to Shropshire we dosed up all three of them with Xanax and some sort of kitty tranquilliser. Rosa spent the entire trip on her back with her mouth open in her carrier, Bob dozed most of the way and Digby woke up for the last half hour and started to industriously chew through his carrier- which was designed for medium sized dogs. The little shite.

Then when we got here all of them walked like drunken sailors for a few hours. Wish I’d thought to video them- it was hilariously cute.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Woo, just had a visit from Trading Standards and have maintained my 5* rating.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New fudge drop!

Happy New Year, fudge-fans!

As you may have noticed we've been awful quiet on the online front recently- this is due to being super busy with markets and in-person trade throughout the backend of last year, resulting in us doing more trade in November alone than in our entire first year! However, we've not forgotten where we started, and we're back to offer you all sorts of delicious goodness to help stave off the grimness of January. We've got several old favourites as well as a couple of brand new flavours for you to try- including the two breakout hits of the last year!

You may also notice that we're using plural pronouns now- that's because Fudjit is now fully a team! Back in November we took on our first apprentice and trained them in the ways of the fudge-alchemist's art, and quite gallingly they were producing fudge as good as my own within a fortnight. We're looking to expand our team even further in the coming year so you may find us turning up at all sorts of places and events that would have been beyond our reach previously. And be on the look-out for more experimental flavours this year, as our doubled production capacity means I have more time to experiment with things!

Talking of which, some of you may recall before christmas I launched a 'Choose a flavour' competition. The winner of this is SA user Discowitch with her suggestion of 'Chilli and Lime' who will be receiving a selection box for her trouble later this week and the fudge being made later this month. Congratulations Discowitch!

Anyway, without further preamble here's our current offerings.

Current Fudge Flavours

Original Vanilla
Salted Caramel
Milk Chocolate
Maple Pecan
Cafe Americano
Peanut Butter Cup
Unicorn Barf
Strawberry Milkshake
Egg Nog **NEW**
- An entire bottle of Advocaat goes into each batch of this one. Tastes like a bar of custard, dusted with cinammon and nutmeg. Truly amazing.
Oranges And Lemons **NEW**- The result of a late night session in the fudge-lab, this combines sicilian lemon and valencian orange extracts with organic mixed candied peel. Tastes like a bar of solid lemon curd with a bitter-orange aftertaste, and was indisputably the stand-out hit of the autumn!

All stock is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk at £3.50 per 100g bar (+p&p). And as always, use the goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4 at checkout. Goodies will now all be shipped Royal Mail first-class with tracking, due to some issues with untracked packages going missing in transit late last year.

Get fudged!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I was honestly completely ignorant of trans people until relatively recently. I just hadn't spent any time thinking about it until I dunno, 6 or 7 years ago? Really it was Something Awful that made me aware.

Coincidentally I had a Facebook memory pop up the other day of an essay I wrote about my relationship with my best friend (who is trans, and was the first such person I met). Posted it here back in the day (it was actually practically the first post I made in the ukmt) and it’s really interesting to see what a different person I was back in the day.

Can probably find and repost if anyone is interested

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All orders have now shipped. Thanks folks! <3

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

EmptyVessel posted:

Neanderthal derail slight return.

That's probably enough of my prolix Neanderthal fanboying now.

No, please go on! This thread doesn’t mind me blabbering about fudge, and this is about a billion times more interesting. Dump your knowledge on us!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

forkboy84 posted:

The thing I remember the most when my dad joked about sending me to Gordonstoun (no way was it ever feasible to afford it) was the promise of a cold shower every morning. loving vile.

One of my uni friends went there, and came across as both super loving posh and deeply loving weird to me, an autistic public schoolboy. To give you an idea of the sort of people it produces.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And, I believe, is the bank that if you have a mega win on the lottery your winnings get paid in to.
(Obviously the lottery people don't trust your local bank staffed by local people - if you're luck enough to still have one - not to keep their mouths shut if you suddenly get a million quid dumped into your account!)

Having worked there, the staff were /not/ nice about the lottery winners. Unsurprisingly a bunch of loving snobs for the most part. (Weirdly though, the queen’s personal banker was actually the nicest person in the building. Absolutely lovely guy.)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I mean, entirely valid. I make no comment on the work he did; he was just a genuinely nice guy. Actually made time to interact with us lowly security peons, would always stop for a chat about anything or check how things were going. Sent a crate of champagne to the security office for Easter, Christmas and birthdays and invited us all (including the night shift, which for some odd reason was the one all the black officers were assigned to..) to his private retirement do, which pissed off a whole shitload of self-important bankers a great deal.

I mean it’s all noblesse obligé stuff, but at the same point he was never patronising and as someone working in a service industry I’d much rather deal with that than the spectrum of ‘indifference’ to ‘flat out rudeness’ that most of the upper tiers there had.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Endjinneer posted:

That would be the Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy department then? I wonder how he'll split it.

My wife works for the BBB (which falls under BEIS ownership) and apparently a load of their Executive Committee resigned today. Wonder if it’s connected.. She’s worrying now.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

As a market trader, even in the three years I’ve been fudge peddling it’s been interesting to see the shift in payments- in 2020 I took probably 75% cash, but nowadays it’s generally about 66% card.

There is still a great deal of satisfaction in slapping down a pile of notes more than an inch thick to make a deposit at my local post office though, ngl. Feels more ‘real’ somehow. (Last weekend was a /very/ good one. Also got ‘stairs’ed’ in the wild for the first time in forever!)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

‘stairs’ed’ - explain like I'm 5 - never heard that expression before!

Old skool goon shibboleth/identifier from one of Lowtax’s ICQ(?) pranks.

‘Do you have stairs in your house?’
‘No, I’m protected.’

Often shortened to ‘Stairs?’ ‘Protected’.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ta. I never knew that dictionary existed :)

So it's kinda like shaking hands with a bent thumb or whatever.

Exactly, but with slightly less implied noncery.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Gambrinus posted:

I'm quite glad I was a bit too old for Harry Potter when it came out, it all looks a bit complicated these days.

You don't see this sort of carry-on with Jennings.

loving amen. I was a bit old for the HP books (first came out when I was a teen iirc) but I tried reading it and was just ‘This is Jennings except bad, with a poo poo magic system thrown on top’. I’m almost those exact words.

(I have not dared look at a Jennings book since I hit puberty, and prior to that was roundly bullied at my own public school for reading them, but even though I’m sure they’re plenty problematic today I doubt they’re Potter levels of offensive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New fudge released!

Hey folks! Just your friendly local fudge-baron dropping by with a new selection of delicious treats for your delectation! Including a flavour suggested by SA poster 'Discowitch' in the competition I ran before christmas- this has turned out to be a huge hit in the markets it's been sold in so far, so get it while it's in stock!

We'll be trading at LARPcon in Coalville the first weekend of march, as well as our regular appearances at Market Drayton and Newcastle-Under-Lyme artisanal markets; we're also in negotiations to have a stall set up at Eastercon in Birmingham this year, if any of you folk are members of the sci-fi fandom. We got to meet a couple of folk from this thread at What's Your Game a few weeks back (including me getting 'Stairs'd' for the first time in public for years), and it's always nice to meet fellow posters so drop on by if you're in the area!

So, without any further ado, here's the goods:

Fudge Flavours

Original Vanilla
Chai Latte
Cafe Americano
Irish Cream
Unicorn Barf
Marmite
(Yes, it's back!)
Chilli and Lime
- Our newest addition. Tangy lime will hit your tongue first, followed five seconds later by a wave of chilli heat as the fudge dissolves on your tongue.
Vegan Salted Caramel
Vegan Chocolate
Vegan Cookies and Cream
Veganoffee
- Delicious banoffee flavoured vegan fudge with big chunks of crunchy organic dried banana.

All fudge is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk and costs £3.50+p&p per 100g block. And as always, use the goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4 at checkout!

(Please note, we now ship all fudge with tracking after having numerous parcels get lost in transit)

Get fudged!