Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-12/psychologists-visits-rebates-mark-butler-covid/101760994

The ALP can get in the loving bin.

The ALP are taking away additional mental health resources, because the pandemic is over and so they aren't needed anymore. They are putting me in the horrible position of having to agree with the coalition. fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

100% cooker ex army

https://selfsufficientme.com/our-kid-s-school-shuns-climate-change-strike/

hahahahahaha

https://selfsufficientme.com/bush-bog/

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

The longer the debate goes on, the more it seem they are on a unity ticket with Dutton and Abbott?

Lol

Imagine being this lazy a troll

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I got PHI solely because my partner was going to get slugged the MLS. We are pretty good with savings though, so I might run this past her.

gently caress PHI companies, they loving suck.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I love how they ignore their own successful efforts in getting climate change legislation passed, and how effective it was, just so they can have a weakass spray at the greens.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

hmm i think it's entirely accurate to say that we would have had a carbon reduction scheme implemented in 2009 if it weren't for the greens.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The Greens don't like progress on the environment or on people's welfare through sustainable development, they just want to bleat about how they are always pushing for perfect.

https://greens.org.au/explainers/cprs

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Sometimes the greens should shut the gently caress up and let the elected government do mild Overton window shifting but otherwise largely ineffective poo poo, but maybe that would hurt them electorally with their hardcore cave-clan megafans idk.

Sometimes you should shut the gently caress up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

More proof that Vic. Liberals won't form government in a long time.

After kicking out a bloke who said that abortion should be banned even in cases of rape, they double down by replacing him with someone who claims that babies are allowed in brothels, and that the ideals of Unity and Equality are bad extreme things.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/victoria/new-liberal-mp-uses-maiden-speech-to-slam-equality-taken-to-extremes-20230221-p5cmam.html

This US style culture war poo poo has been proven time and again to not work, and indeed be counter-productive.

Why do they keep trying it?

1) Because they listen to the vocal minority that contacts them to back up their own worldview.
2) Because they actually believe it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Capt.Whorebags posted:

How about covering the water supply open canals with solar panels? Reduce evaporation and generate electricity.

I chortled.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Thread i have a question: the voice to parliament thing is good yeah? Thats why the no side is full of nutjobs?

Its not as simple as good or bad imo.

There are plenty of valid concerns about it :
- The problem isnt about having a voice, its that the people already aren't being listened to, and this doesnt change that
- It wont be representative of all indigenous groups
- It will be co-opted and patsies installed
- Relying on the oppressor to stop oppressing people is not great
- It will be a figleaf that doesnt nothing concrete but allow racists to point at it as they continue to be racist AF

I think its a step in the right direction personally, but im very white.

https://www.facebook.com/ourcountryourchoice

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solution. Only allow first nations people to vote on it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I understand a husband using everything in their power to help our their family, but it's corrupt behaviour. He's receiving a private benefit because of his public office.

No, but you see, I would also be corrupt af if given the chance, so that means its ok with Dom does it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DRINK ME posted:

I just make BI dashboards and poo poo out spreadsheets for internal use.

sup fellow BI goon

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DRINK ME posted:

Sup. I hope your job as easy-going as mine and you have something good to fill all those empty hours.

I’ve been moving a bunch of stuff out of Excel to PBI recently and am blown away by how much PBI has matured in the last five years + how much more knowledge/previously asked questions there are now, so I can just search all my problems. I’ve been able to recreate all kinds of functionality and formulas, but I’m not sure how to feel about DAX yet… it works and I usually get there in the end but it’s ugly and somewhat temperamental.

I managed expectations when I started, and I can cruise along at like 60% and they are happy with that level of output.

Look up sqlbi imo. Work paid for an account for me, but even their free stuff is really informative.

The only thing reporting in excel has going for it right now is institutional inertia, and accountants who know how to do something in excel and have no desire to learn something new.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

David Warner was good in anything.

I dunno, he was pretty poo poo in the last tour of India

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Green just called it

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

Why do GPs and pharmacists have a deathmatch in the news every other week?

Pharmacists are going for a powergrab over gps to do more basic medical stuff, and gps are pissed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Animal Friend posted:

a lot of anger directed toward the government itt

This is what happens when you have hopes that are not met.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sierra Madre posted:

The thing is, this is probably the politically smart instinct. Anyone switching their vote away from Labor over this is not going to the Liberals, so there's ultimately nothing lost as long as the preferences flow correctly. Over 55s are more likely to switch, so you keep them happy with this move. Your younger base might never be satisfied, but they will always ultimately be in your corner, barring some conversion to right-wing politics.

The decision itself is gutless and pathetic, but if I'm being honest, could we have expected anything else? They only need to be slightly better than the Liberals, that's been the policy of every centre-left party in the last thirty years. I know that's defeatist, but I just can't expect Labor to do much. Here's hoping they start bleeding more support to the Greens, I suppose.

It's politically smart till enough people vote greens and they start getting elected.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Personally, I would just re-tool them to be first responders for climate emergencies.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

abigserve posted:

Get rid of negative gearing already you loving cowards

They can't do it now, because the greens have suggested it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Comstar posted:

Skynews is reporting it, so currently I find it hard to believe:

https://www.skynews.com.au/australi...1ed7a196fcbe0a6

I heard something similar on the ABC

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Autisanal Cheese posted:

One of my favorite Ross Noble jokes is that if everyone claiming that their convict ancestry was only as a result of stealing bread was true, then Australia is literally a nation founded by angry bakers.

But bakers make the bread, why would they need to steal it?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Light rail has been a thing forever. It probably predates trucks as we know them.

Infrastructure is always tricky, though a lot of places invest so poorly in it I've seen a major terminal's massive railway line actually go unused in favour of yet more goddamn trucks going right through the middle of the town. Penny-pinching management WILL ride their own infrastructure into the ground, and throw tantrums if they're forced not to.

Ahhh, I see you know about how the wa state government leased the grain rail network out to a private company for 99 years for gently caress all, and then the company decided they weren't making enough money on it, so they just shut it down and moved all the grain onto trucks where they didn't have to pay for network upkeep.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

<pay people for volunteering>

As a member of a volunteer committee, I have significant legal protections from the consequences of my actions, provided they are made in good faith. This goes away if I get paid.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Splode posted:

Yeah see this is why I want volunteers paid.

tbh im happy to get money for what I do, but im just some average joe who found himself in a position where I am responsible for a significant (to me) amount money in grants from the government.

How would this situation be handled? Im already thinking about whether or not its worth it to do what i do, any additional burdens mean improbably just going to stop.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

do it on my face posted:

By outsourcing all the work to other posters, seemingly.

Recoome was right, he should become a consultant.

Lol. Seems like he has done a fair bit of work so far. Asking if people have comments or suggestions isn't outsourcing all the work.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/06/too-late-now-to-save-arctic-summer-ice-climate-scientists-find

quote:

“Unfortunately it has become too late to save Arctic summer sea ice,” said Prof Dirk Notz, of the University of Hamburg, Germany, who was part of the study team. “As scientists, we’ve been warning about the loss of Arctic summer sea ice for decades. This is now the first major component of the Earth system that we are going to lose because of global warming. People didn’t listen to our warnings.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

John, a landlord from Valley View who called into ABC Radio Adelaide, said the government should "butt out" of people's private affairs.

"That is my business, and if you keep butting into my private affairs, I will sell that property and I will buy a motorhome and I will go travelling and there will be one less property out there for rentals," he said.

How the gently caress do idiots like this afford to be part of the landed gentry

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Why would you choose to include some business as a middleman taking a cut?

Because all their mates happen to own businesses that want a cut.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Blamestorm posted:

I just wish instead of giving build to rent tax breaks we’d just remove the capital gains and negative gearing tax breaks instead which is why we have so many owner-investors.

Neither will help any renters any time the next five years anyway.

They probably would. Parasitic landlords arent going to hold onto an asset when its costing them money with no hope of that ever changing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Blamestorm posted:

If they made changes to capital gains tax discount / negative gearing (they won’t, look at the stage 3 cuts lol) they would be grandfathered in, no way would they apply to people who’d made investment decisions for millions of dollars on expectation of the fat capital gain. It would be gradual and take twenty years.

Not arguing on this point, but thats a different scenario than just taking away CGT discount and negative gearing immediately. I agree that boomers would totally pull the ladder up after themselves.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

masterpine posted:

I dunno how you unfuck all this poo poo.

1) Negative gearing only allowed for your primary residence.
2) Remove CGT discount.
3) Replace stamp duty with land tax.
4) Individuals and corporations are only allowed to own a max of 5 houses.

Its fairly simple to unfuck. Its politically difficult, which is why it will never happen.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

iajanus posted:

I agree with most ideas about unfucking the market, especially with regard to making investments much less attractive, but I don't agree with forcing people to have to sell or move from their primary home (which a tax increase for rooms etc will absolutely do). Everything else should be on the table, though.

We need empty nest boomer who are sitting alone in 5 bedroom mansions to downsize, but they dont because stamp duty fucks them. Just need a financial incentive to get them to move.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

birdstrike posted:

interest on where you live isn’t deductible?

Oh yeah I always forget that.

Maybe use that as a bait and switch so the inevitable chorus of boomer complainants shut the gently caress up

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

iajanus posted:

Pretty sure a lot of then don't because they actually like living in the house that they've been living in for decades hth

Which is why we need an incentive to get them to move hth

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Imagine writing this unironically

Technically 1 job falls within "Up to 91"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

Covid's death toll was 7500% higher than influenza last year.

On track to be a smaller number this year, but still many times higher than the flu. Covid's not going to be in line with the flu for a long while.

But anyway, yes, the article says there are still 17 clinics, so honestly it probably does make sense to close a few.

And its just going to be a total coincidence that the ones that are shut just happen to be in the lower socio economic areas.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pension benefits based on total income and assets.

Can't bring myself to care about some boomer whinging about the price of their meds when they're living in a property worth north of a million dollars.

Aged pension is already means tested, including PPOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Whelp, at least they make things nice and clear

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/assets-test-for-pensions?context=22526

quote:

We assess all asset types as part of the assets test. How much we can pay you depends on the value of your assets and if you’re in a relationship. There are limits to how much you can have. We call these the assets test limits. The Department of Social Services reviews these limits and cut off points in January, March, July and September each year.

Your assets include any property or possessions you own in full, in part, or have an interest in. This includes both:

assets held outside Australia
debts owed to you.