Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks everyone, it's been a great day so far and y'all just made it better.

:glomp::glomp::glomp::glomp::glomp:

Happy birthday my dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The NOTAM system is supposed to be super hardened military post-WW3 resilient kind of stuff. How does it just crap out?

Whole drat country has turned into Southwest. Wonder if poo poo will still be messed up when I fly over to Orlando on Monday?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

No one wants to pay for infrastructure upgrades but we all want it now.

Guess so. Congress critters can't make money inside trading infrastructure.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

All I can say is never get a Kenmore. I got a full set of Kenmore stuff on Black Friday in 2017 because I had to replace my entire kitchen after Harvey and it's all I could afford. While the induction range and convection oven is ok, the microwave and dishwasher have both died and been replaced and the fridge is going to join them some time this year. Just bad.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Kenmore is also the Sears brand and Sears probably won't exist by the end of 2023. Maybe sooner!

Yep. The appliances themselves were manufactured by Whirlpool and rebadged as Kenmore. Not that having repair parts readily available has made a difference.

Sad but inevitable what has happened to Sears. It was middle class consumer goods, and as the middle class dies in America it would die...even if a billionaire hadn't used it as a piggy bank.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Just bought a new Speed Queen dryer (DR5003WE) from Greentoe. More than what Costco is but from what everything I read, these are built to last like commercial dryers and that's exactly what I want. Plain dials, set it and forget it.

drat, I didn’t know they sold Speed Queens to the public. At least I know what brand I’m getting next.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not sure if recruiters are just shooting their shot and hoping they get lucky or if they really are as slow as they come across in every Linkedin contact. What do you mean you don't want to take a temporary contract position 6 titles lower than your current position with 30% of the pay and no benefits, don't you at least want to discuss it?

Those guys are just resume farmers. They're not actually recruiting, all they want is personal data they can aggregate and sell to marketers and/or turn over to the CCP. I tell my users to block them on sight.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

my company, a multinational software corp with over 100,000 employees, exclusively uses recruiters for hiring. Which sucks. But it is very common in this industry, and it means that at least some of those recruiters out there are legit. You have to filter through the mess, you can't just blanket ignore all the recruiters, if you want to land a job in many industries today.

Guess I coulda been more nuanced. I actually like recruiters - they mean there is verifiably a job, it's not just getting filled by Tommy Boy's relative, and my resume is going to be actually read by the hiring manager. I don't even bother applying to jobs I haven't spoke to a recruiter about first anymore - I never got a call back anyway. Like two or three times a week I get obviously genuine recruiters whom you can tell actually searched me out, and for those I actually do respond since I'm still looking around.

For every one of those however I get 25 emails from shady people looking for my resume to sign me up for some 1099 grunt work. Those are the fakes and resume farmers.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 18, 2023

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Indiana put him on the transfer portal on general principle, and UNC snapped him up

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Knowing my dog she'd eat one and then go back to preferring free sustenance loaves from Catbox. :barf:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Rogue Elephant posted:

My sister in law swears the same thing, in the same time frame. Got absolutely bodied by a flu in a way that had never happened to her before.

Same thing happened to my stepdaughter in January 2020, a couple weeks after we had hot pot at a place in Houston's Chinatown.

In retrospect, going to a place that would have a greater probability of folks traveling to and from China, knowing a new virus had been seen in China and was inevitable to arrive here, was dumb as poo poo.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

I've used a Timbuk2 bag for years and really like it. Slim profile but can hold lots of stuff.

I have a Target clearance Eddie Bauer bag that turns 20 this year. Still my go-to carryon.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Not gonna be a good night to be downtown in any major city

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So that video was as much Rodney King The Next Generation as I feared it was gonna be.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Is that really what raw A5 looks like? You could tell me that's a slice of a random goon and I'd believe you

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Having visited Texas frequently, but only in the Spring and Summer, freezing to death was not one of the possible ways to die in Texas I'd ever considered.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1621248596094996487?s=20&t=y2bZuWcRVZQSIxaQPlTNxg
I'm sure Twitter people outside Texas are dunking on ERCOT, and ERCOT should always get dunked on, but Austin's blackouts are from tree limbs hitting lines. Austin City Hall fought Austin Energy over tree trimming and "won". This is what they won.

Same fight happened in the 90s and 00s in Houston and then after Hurricane Ike in 08 it took three weeks to remove all the trees and tree limbs from power lines. Now Centerpoint, our utility company, trims the hell out of trees. Ask my poor mangled white oak in the backyard :(

Either way, line crews in Houston are gonna get massive OT this weekend. Just cold rain for us.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 2, 2023

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Something very unusual happening at Mt Washington in New Hampshire. The polar vortex going over them is so strong, it has dragged the top of the troposphere - the first layer of the atmosphere where all the weather is - below the observatory on the top of the mountain. The air is still breathable, but if you went outside you’d be exposed to basically the jet stream.

https://twitter.com/forecaster25/status/1621598650022363142

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/ChadBlue83/status/1625941508552593414

Maybe the GOAT of beautiful women.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

There’s been plenty of that on this trip, don’t worry.

Funniest meal was in Hanoi at this bizarre beef restaurant. You order a cut of beef, a side, and it’s brought out a piping hot stone slab and keeps cooking in front of you.
Reminds me of a few pho places I've been to that serve their beef raw, and then you dump it into the broth to cook while you dress it up with vegetables. One of them even did their take-out pho beef raw :barf:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That's how you're supposed to serve pho though?
If you're going to consume the pho immediately, yes. If it's takeout and who knows how long that raw meat has been off temperature? Uhh

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

protip: reheat the broth first

Maybe it's the son of a lunch lady in me but I'm not reheating expired raw meat

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DeSantis peaked last year. I think Trump's closest challenger will be some name we haven't heard yet.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Who the hell buys new.

Right? I try to buy almost new, let someone else burn their money on depreciation.

Like for example, I just bought a new fridge from Best Buy’s outlet in Houston. 2300 dollar fridge, marked down to 1080. Everything but the fridge itself still in its packages. Nothing modified inside. Listed as having scratches and gouges but I can’t find a thing. Took the back panel off, everything is flawless inside. I’m thinking some blue shirt screwed up an evaluation. Their loss.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Whole lot of sleeping on Yucateco going on here

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Richard Nixon definitely put some sawdust in a Ford Fairlane and sold it to someone

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Please. Please. I’m begging. Come up with something new and stop loving remaking everything. For fucks sake.

Would take studios to stop being public companies and slaves to quarterly earnings.

:capitalism:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I've gone back to nothing but two hard boiled eggs and sugar-free fiber drink for breakfast. Holds me over fine til lunch. Fits in the current scheme of taking in as few carbs as possible without going into ketosis.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

That's the face of a man who can get you a "real deal" on a Chevy truck but in reality can't take a piss without clearing it with his sales manager

Also, thanks to Biden Infrastructure Week last year the drainage ditch behind my house that flooded me out during Harvey is being dug six feet deeper, and there's an additional six foot levee being erected behind my back fence :hellyeah:

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 3, 2023

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Saw my first Monster Jam today. The kiddo was mesmerized too, he actually sat through the whole thing. Grave Digger was clearly the best.

Grave Digger has always been the best even though it’s always played off as the bad truck

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

seiferguy posted:

My sophomore going into junior summer break, I finished building my first PC then decided to beat as many SNES RPGs on an emulator as possible. I remember beating all 3 Final Fantasies for it, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Robotrek, Live A Live, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Earthbound, Secret and Trials of Mana, both Lufias, both Breath of Fires, and of course Super Mario RPG.

I probably should have hung out with people more then!

Other than the Japan only games I think I beat every single one of those on cartridge, plus Ogre Battle and the 7th Saga. As all seven characters no less. I may have played the 7th Saga more than any American.

The local video store had a RPG connoisseur and not many takers. One other to be exact, to the point this guy always took the first save slot, and I’d take the third. I ran into him at my first job. He was like the Shelbyville version of me - same personality, same acne, same stupidly high grades and taste in video games, we both had a lovely GM B-body, but he went to the rival high school. Should have been a blaring klaxon I was a full blown weirdo.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It’s gonna cause another Tenerife incident one day and it kinda makes me not want to fly

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

Another Norfolk Southern train has derailed in Ohio :psyduck:

I think I saw the derailed cars were carrying DEF which isn't too bad, and polyacrylamide or PAM. PAM is a water-soluble binder of sorts that used to be used in water filtration but was abandoned in the 80s because it degrades to acrylamide, which is toxic as hell. Now it's used as fracking fluid.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Jeebus says if you kill Kefka you're cool and I've murdered his bitch rear end 1000 times

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Unsurprised to see the specter of US intervention in Mexico rise up again

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

Healthcare pls

The best Congress can do is

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Looking through my MyChart, my A1C was 9.2 in December, when I was diagnosed from being pre-diabetic to actually diabetic.

I had some blood work done a week or two ago, and my A1C came in at 4.8.

Amazing what counting carbs can do for someone.

Hang in there, you can do this.

Diabetes runs strong on my dad's side and this last round of blood work just before Thanksgiving my A1C was right at 6. Been cutting carbs hard since and moving around more, and I've dropped like 25 pounds. So, hoping to get back in the 5s with the blood work next week.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

My stepkids were almost grown when I came on the scene, so I have four grandkids - 13, 11, 8, and 6.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1634241729866940425

Whoops. $161 billion in capital gone, 93% of it FDIC uninsured.

A ton of stupid techbros and their apps are broke today, so I guess here comes a bailout.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

That is a crime against Southernism.

Virginia is only vestigially Southern at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

No no no it’s about republicans versus Dems! Look! Biden! Drag queens! Guns! Evil republicans! Dems! Grrrrr!!! Don’t look at how much money corporations steal from you plz!

Right? It’s gonna be a big week or three for the culture wars while this bank contagion runs its course