Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

kater posted:

i decided to burn $25 on stuff that's been on my wishlist for years. also consortium snuck on there somehow.

that's great, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Do you also think there's something wrong with people who take their off-the-rack suits to a tailor? Do you think everybody who buys a suit off the rack that doesn't immediately fit just say "ah, not for me" and move on?
in the suit world, this is called "modding"

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

(though not unlimited)
Wrong. You can actually just keep going back to the same merchant and it'll restock after buying their full supply and a warp or restart. Infinite resource.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Just noticed a huge pricing error in this Civ6 bundle:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21432/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI_Anthology/

I think it was meant to be 68% off but is actually 86% off.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 6, 2023

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

so is Aliens but that doesn't mean I'm gonna play Colonial Marines
You should, they apparently fixed the terrible AI by finding a simple typo in the config file.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

This might be worth keeping an eye on, releases today:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2161440/Sailing_Era/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

How was Freelancer in that regard?
Mile wide, puddle deep.

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.
You've played Descent Freespace 1 & 2, right? If not, that's what you want.

EDIT: Actually if you're not deadset on full 3D, Space Rangers HD is incredible. For something older that's more adventure/RPG focused, Planet's Edge (get it on GOG though).

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 12, 2023

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/Tachyon_The_Fringe/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

This game seems to use a very loose definition of "exploration" best I can tell.
I've finished it. You can go anywhere you want. It's the closest you're going to get.

John Murdoch posted:

Except the "where" in "anywhere" seems to be pretty space backgrounds and isolated space stations and nothing else.

I mean, I said upfront that there's a dearth of games out there that fit my criteria. I don't think I've overlooked very many, I think they just flatout do not exist and that's my whole complaint.
lol alright dude

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 12, 2023

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Cactus posted:

On the subject of space games: I've always wanted to play a single-player AAA-quality game set on a huge capital ship, about as big as the Enterprise, the ship in Stargate SG1, or a star destroyer (although maybe that would be too big) where the entire interior is modelled and accessible, like the Normandy but with an indoor map-size comparable to that of a full game.

The ship itself moves through space and visits different systems and such (like a star trek or battlestar galactica ship would) and if you happen to be in a section of the ship where you can see out this is reflected there. Maybe you even get to have a say in where the ship goes if you play as the captain or someone that the captain listens to, and that affects what story events happen and in what order, which in turn have an effect on the ship itself, how it looks, which areas are accesible or closed off, which members of the crew end up dying/changing, that kind of thing.

I'd also be down with playing a more Lower-Decks type of character that just lives and works on the ship but gets caught up in whatever story ends up happening...whatever, who you or the other characters are and what the story is isn't really what I'm focussing on here (although I'd love it if those were as compelling as a Naughty Dog or CDPR game as well, obviously) just the setting itself.

There might be off-ship locations to add some variety, but these would be smaller, more linear areas where story or side missions can have an excuse to take place in a completely different environment just to keep things switched up if needed, like the Mass Effect 2 character missions, but the main star of the show would be the ship itself.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/CONSORTIUM

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: IT'S BACK, BABY :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvtG2oBwbIA

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

"After these messages...

...you'll be deeead soon!"

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of Wizardry inspired games.

Has there been a single dungeon crawler that even attempted the Wizardry 8's best feature where the characters you created actually had...character, by having a lot of unique voice lines for practically every situation?
I feel like I've seen a lot of Wizardry-like dungeon crawlers and none of them bothered putting any effort into your party members the way Wizardry 8 did.
I think Bard's Tale IV did this but I don't remember. I'd recommend it anyways. Also Wizards & Warriors and Might & Magic X.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

redreader posted:

I played Elden ring almost to the end on a 3080 card, 16gb of ram, and a 3600 CPU. I got frequent hitches. Tried many different settings and never fixed it. Haven't opened it in like 8+ months... Are the hitches fixed? I tried all kinds of fixes etc.

i5-4670k, 16gb & 1050ti/4gb, zero hitches since launch @ 1440p

Goes without saying but an SSD is basically required for anything these days so if you're still using a platter, that's your problem.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I wish this team could get the Tribes license.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Awesome! posted:

huh, i got a card drop after 28 minutes of game time. i thought the rule was if you have refunded a game before cards only drop after 2 hours.
It was. Weird if it changed but great if it did.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I'm remembering when a Windows install was 25 floppies and you had to pray the whole time that like disc 22 didn't somehow go bad since the last time you used it
That's why you always made backups so that you had 50 floppies of the same thing taking up an entire disk storage case.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Getting some pretty strong Gothic vibes from this, might be one to watch:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1383370/Trail_of_Ayash/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

GhostDog posted:

The Door on the Edge of Forever

if you're cold, she's cold

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Mr.Acula posted:

Haven't played since I was a kid myself, but Toonstruck is on steam and i remember liking it
Toonstruck owns but is absolutely not appropriate for a 1st grader.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

The big client overhaul that's been in beta for a bit just released for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8jv24NjOWQ
Holy poo poo. The on-screen notes (and potentially maps) just made every game a billion times more user-friendly.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Man the client is buggy as poo poo now, especially in regard to moving back & forth within pages or even just getting to and staying on a store page. Hope they patch it soon.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Orv posted:

Ah okay, yeah I could see that not being wanted so that’s fair. I also don’t see it being a meaningful problem unless you’re very bad, the bots should all be dead by the time of real fights anyway.
They're also good fodder for some super basic equipment if you're unlucky finding anything early on.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Jossar posted:

Went kind of nuts for this Steam Sale, but I've been such a minimalist IRL spender recently that I figured I could afford some Unrestrained Summer Fun: Skul/Dead Cells/Sayonara Wild Hearts from reciprocity gifts as a result of riding the Steam Train (which is always fun and should be checked out if you want to enable your buying addiction by proxy instead of directly), Conquests of Elysium 5/Warhammer 40,000: Darktide... and Legion TD 2 which you guys sold me on at least giving a whirl. I'll certainly be busy for a while!

(Don't worry, I already have the thread's other recent darling, Satellite Reign, from when they were giving it out for free.)
It also confirms that at least one of the ones you purchased will be in the Humble Monthly on Tuesday.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

WarEternal posted:

I like how there are a bunch of weirdos on Steam that buy a game, play 40 mins, refund it and give it a negative review on day one. Very cool people with healthy brains.

...isn't that exactly what the refund system is there for??

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Most gamers are smart enough to not spend any money on skin microtransactions, whether they're $20 or $5. They are just never going to pay real money for any ingame item, no matter how much you reduce it. That's why the concept of "microtransactions" failed and they're all macrotransactions now. Companies are adjusting the pricing to milk as much as possible out of the tiny minority who actually do pay.

e: oh Schwarzwald already said the same thing

*unless they're resalable which transforms it into a market speculation game, especially if they're limited availability.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Yeah! I'm really excited for this. I don't like to put too much into rumors, but this one feels really *strogg and will for sure happen this week.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

personally it's because i used it to play fortnite with a coworker for a few months and then like half a year later i started getting "someone is trying to log into your account" emails like four times a day and their support was like "don't worry about it it's just an fyi" when i asked if i should be concerned that someone is trying to break into my account multiple times a day for weeks in a row. the emails only stopped when i deleted my account.
Exact same circumstance with me and I never even got around to trying Fartnight. Not worth it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think I'm done with SCO then. Any fun indie SC2/Starflight/Escape Velocity style games I've missed that released in the last say decade? (I've played all the classics) Talking real time overhead inertia flight space exploration/combat games not just Asteroids style like Nova Drift.

I've played Starsector, Endless Sky, SC: O, Star Traders, Starcom Nexus, Transcendence, Heat Signature, Ring Runner, SPAZ, Captain Starshot, Long Journey Home.

Star Valor is on my radar waiting for the next sale.

Miss anything?
One of my all-time favorites:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/Space_Rangers_HD_A_War_Apart/

Also Planet's Edge, get the GOG version:
https://www.gog.com/en/game/planets_edge_the_point_of_no_return

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

If you take this as the starting gift you can revive YCS later

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, I still have my boxed copy, published by Sierra Studios, around here somewhere. It's in mint condition!
Same. Got the original copy through a mail-in order/promotion at like 50% off with Return To Krondor and had never heard about it before. Granted, I don't think anyone had at that point.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431520/Age_of_Fear_Total/

hmmm

30$ to own the entire series and all future stuff, hmmmmm

e: oh my god this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqY20WKrOCA
I actually did the level narrations for all of 1, 3 & 4, the trailers for 4 & 5, and the vast majority of unit barks.

Snuck in as many terrible jokes as I could (especially with the dwarf units and their "drunk status buff" alt lines) and as I always seem to get away with, a Macho Man Randy Savage parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbGVqOXw18

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RE: Skull and Bones talk. I really wish someone would just make the perfect successor to Sid Meier's Pirates that exists in my head. Give me a game that has SM's Pirates! Sandbox, Naval Action's... naval action (:v:), some kind of sensible first-and/or-third person on-foot stuff that actually lets me walk around my ship (the whole ship, not just the deck) as well as on land, a cool sword-fighting system, good character customization, pronouns (if only to piss jerks off), and hell, I wouldn't complain about a half-decently written swashbuckling story. Also, single ship focus. Its likely opposite to the typical power fantasy probably, but I don't want to eventually command a whole fleet of pirate ships. I just want work my way up from a a shitbox sloop to one really awesome, customizable pirate frigate or whatever. Captain Harlock but actually in the ocean. Freaky Magic poo poo optional.

Like Sea Dogs, but a heck of a lot better and without most of the East European Jank.

And don't make it a loving online-only PvPvE GAAS boondoggle that'll die in less than a year. Just give me a cool singleplayer game! :argh:

There is a group of Goons who generally love hearing opinions from people just getting into the books. If you're interested in discussing it while/after you read it.

I'm keeping an eye on this for a true Sea Dogs sequel:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2230980/Caribbean_Legend__Pirate_OpenWorld_RPG/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Leal posted:

So is Hitler now an anime girl?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

Will we ever improve on the lovely Skyrim faces and animations? 15 years go by and it's like, no progress has been made in this whatsoever.

This is by a completely different team and a completely different engine. The faces look absolutely nothing like internal BethSoft's.

The game actually looks decent, let's hope Todd doesn't gently caress it up.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

I never played the original Outcast, but the demo for the sequel was kind of fun, albeit time limited. Jetpacking around was a lark and you could make some pretty dumb weapons.
The original Outcast is one of the best games ever made. Play the 1.1 version, not the remake (it sucks, they hosed up the movement feel and there's weird bugs):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/336610/Outcast_11/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Tribes is BACK...again.....MidAir 2 public playtest is FINALLY live:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1231210/Midair_2/

Feels better than Rivals in some ways, worse in others.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dark Souls: wow Black Knights suck
They don't respawn so cross your fingers for their weapon drop.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

the "developers" released a shitton bunch of dogshit assetflip games back on the same day november for $50 each, got a bunch of fake blatantly AI generated reviews in december in order to bypass steam's "we're still learning about this game" filter, and then suddenly flipped the switch on all these games into looking like other more successful games all at once.

this was pre-meditated as gently caress lol.
I hope this prods Valve to finally turn off this worthless flood of garbage and rectify their stupid post-Greenlight decision.

If you believe in your game, then put up $1k (minimum) to have it on the storefront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Idiootti posted:

Honestly as long as it's all cosmetics and I get to midair people I don't care. I feel like the mistake that Ascend made was that you had to grind for a century to get weapons that were op at launch or paid you paid out the rear end for them. If morons buying shiny skins keeps the gamiäe getting updated I'm all for it.

I bought the regular version and it looks like you get Title/Banner/Skin/Weapon crates for free when you hit certain achievement milestones. Those are obviously finite but at least there's some baked-in potential customization.