Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

PowerWash Simulator offers all the joys of real power washing with none of the messy clean-up or torturous going-outside
I hate real life power washing because it's a lot of OH gently caress OH gently caress I'M DAMAGING poo poo and need to deal with THAT.

On all the gaming podcasts I listen to, I got the impression Hardspace: Shipbreaker got kinda passed over in lieu of Power Wash Simulator.

I personally loving loved Hardspace. It felt therapeutic, methodical, and was a fine podcast game. The only shame was there wasn't and won't be more of it. Sounded really mod-unfriendly too; devs saying the physics work they had to do to make the game manageable for most PCs/consoles was quite limiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Some people also hate Hardspace because it has a union story. Caveat emptor.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah ... I had it early access but checked out early. Got into it in a big way once it was 1.0. I do feel it's a game I would go back to or play over. But I really really wish there was just more.

The credits cite real life shipbreakers as inspiration with some imagery to go with it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is not a Steam complaint per se, but relevant.

Long story, as a 40 year old goon, lots of life changes. Divorced, kept the house (lol bachelor mode) but my partner and her 8 year old have now moved in, so I no longer have an "office" and moved my desktop PC down to the basement with the fancy TV.

Previously I had used Steam streaming, and the Nvidia version to a Shield (the Nvidia one worked so much more reliably). It wasn't my main way to play most games, but nice to have from time to time. And it worked great!

It finally dawned on me after a few weeks that my PC is now just a few feet from the TV and I could use Big Picture mode ... holy gently caress what a pain in the rear end.

• Win11 didn't recognise my LG C1 OLED properly, and googling monitor drivers was useless.
  • Found a nice Indian YouTube video that explained I needed to use the Nvidia Control Panel to properly set it up, and specifically to scroll past the first set of resolutions until I got to "PC" mode.
  • Then I could set up GSync and HDR.
  • This is just the fault of my motherboard manufacturer, but my PS4 controller wouldn't stay synced to bluetooth beyond like 3 inches ... pretty sure that's the issue. I've had other bluetooth devices be useless with this relatively modern PC.
  • Luckily have lots of long USB-C cables, and had a PS5 controller I could plug in.
  • Holy hell getting multi-channel sound was a pill. Also Nvidia calling their multi-display mapping to one resolution "Surround" sure makes it harder to google.
  • Nvidia Control Panel tells you to use the 16-bit Windows Sound panel to setup sound. All the settings were for 2 channel except for a Dolby Atmos one which ... strangely took me to the Windows Store.
  • The Windows Store Dolby Atmos app doesn't tell you what it loving costs but that there would be "in-app purchases", but whatever, I installed it and ran it. It seemed 100% geared toward headphone surround sound, and you could have a 7 day trial or pay $19 CAD (honestly I'd be happy to if it worked as advertised, but I wasn't looking for headphone sound here)
  • Yet, after installing it, and going back to that 16-bit sound control panel ... I had an option now for Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre. Using that, my receiver now seems to be getting a surround signal from my PC.

I can't test fully/properly because the kid/partner have gone to bed, but I finally seem to be on the right track. Using the Nvidia Shield Pro "just worked!" and it was pretty good, but there was minorly perceptible lag and sometimes major macroblocking. It was way worse using Steam's built-in.

It's mostly working now, but any time a game doesn't default to full screen, or requires a secondary install or security prompt, it's basically crashed. I had better luck streaming desktop games to my office MacBook. Also I haven't figured out how to get HDR looking good on the LG C1 OLED. Games look amazing from a PS5 or Xbox X, but washed out from the PC so far. They look better on my lovely HDR 400 Dell monitor at this point.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 24, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chglcu posted:

HDR on the PC is kind of a pain, but it is much better in the newer Windows 11 versions than it used to be. I have a Windows 11 PC hooked up to my C2 OLED and don’t have a problem with HDR being washed out. You might check that your TV has deep color enabled for the PC HDMI input (General -> Devices -> HDMI Settings on the C2), and also run the Windows HDR calibration tool (might be a download from the MS store).

Also, just as a warning, I’ve found the Atmos for Home Theater to be a bit flakey, sometimes just blasting static and whining sounds. When that happens, I’ve had to do some mix of switching atmos off and/or rebooting to get things working again. Hasn’t happened in a while now that I think about it, maybe they fixed that?

Oh, another useful thing to know is that Win+Alt+B is a shortcut to toggle HDR.
Thanks for this. I was too tired to mess with the calibration tool (and yes it needs to be downloaded from the store separately).

And yeah, I was getting the static + whining sounds, but I assumed that was because I was messing with the output while a game was running. Was hoping a reboot/relaunch would solve it. Can't wait for more :rolleyes:

Wiltsghost posted:

I had nothing but issues hooking my c2 up to my pc with a 3 monitor setup. It would make windows lose focus all the time and it would always have weird sync issues, was just such a hassle. I just play consoles on it now, which I'm ok with tbh.
It's glitchy for sure, and yeah I have a 3 monitor setup too.

Just annoys me that the Xbox is so good with the TV but Windows kinda blows. The Xbox is also awesome with HDMI-CEC which Sony hasn't loving figured out. But for some reason HDR/colour seems better in general on PS5. That might just be a game port issue.

edit: augh. And Steam Big Picture can set my "main" display automatically when I start it, but loving audio outputs are a goddamned mess in Win11 (and 10 iirc).

At some point Win11 let you forbid an audio output from taking dominance (i.e. it would always switch to the speaker/mic in PS4/5 controllers when you connected them) but that option seems to have vanished, and it was never reliable anyway.

And I think most games would be okay if you never launched them before Big Picture, but some are complete pieces of poo poo to configure after. Looking at you Rez Infinite.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 24, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can say the Win 10/11 store official Microsoft HDR calibration tool made a hell of a difference and Destiny 2 looks amazing now.

5.1 audio seems to be working with the Dolby Atmos stuff but it's hard to find PC/Steam content dedicated to it. Rez seemed to work but was oddly quiet in the backchannels. I have it on PSN too where I felt it had more of a presence. But at least I could hear them working. (And the receiver confirmed it was receiving a 5.1 signal.)

edit:

The dumbest thing that has been happening since I added the LG C1 to my monitor chain ... never had a problem before. But now when my Win11 PC goes to sleep, it disconnects from all but my main Dell display, so I apparently have to extend desktop to each of my regular secondary monitors manually every time. Ugh!!!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 24, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Pirate Captain posted:

I’ve been running PC -> LGTV + surround sound for years now and yeah, it’s a huge pain in the rear end. Get used to launching mmsys.cpl every other day because Windows decided it wanted to be stereo! Why? gently caress you that’s why.
Before I added the TV to the mix, it felt like Windows almost had it right with correct audio device priority. Maybe it'll average out over time, but it's a clusterfuck at the moment.

And we're back to where the consoles "just work" (until they don't. See aforementioned PS5 HDMI-CEC, gently caress you Sony.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shivers posted:

Do people have any thoughts on The Ascent? It's on sale but has Mostly Positive/Mixed reviews. I'm looking for new game to play on my Steam Deck and this is Verified and looks nice.
I loved this game but hit a brickwall of challenge that felt poorly paced. Spider Mech boss

I would say overall it's Very Good to Extremely Good, like way beyond what its price suggests. There are a lot of thoughtful and methodical systems in place.

For older gamers (40+ crowd) I feel like it's overall a very solid modern take (and really better in every way) of Crusader: No Remorse.

I got stuck, and need to get back to it, but ... I truly loved it until that point. I just suddenly felt really underpowered at a particular choke-point. And I'm ADD as gently caress so I just didn't try to stubbornly stick through it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

The only thing I can say about The Ascent is that it has an impressively detailed world (there's a youtube video where someone has a modded camera angle that lets them fly freely around the map, and it would be an impressive first person game, they didn't skimp on assets and none of them seem designed to only look good from the game's pre-set angle) and it really wants to showcase it, so there are regular very long segments where all you do is run from Point A to Point B while looking at the scenery. At least with the early missions before I refunded it, there was literally several minutes of backtracking through the hub zone between every mission. It seemed okay outside of that but my ADHD can't handle lots of backtracking through the same environment.
I mean clearly our ADD expresses itself in different ways. I would say, as beautiful and detailed as the Ascent can be (also again, waaaaaaay beyond it's price) I mostly ended up finding the settings sorta bland and forgettable ... no knock on the game, just my weird brain. And they're REALLY GOOD, just kinda wasted on me in particular...

...and all that said holy hell some of its set pieces are mind-blowingly incredible. In some ways it feels like a B-tier game that is very fun, reviews well, niche audience, but the peaks are arguably beyond AAA poo poo.

edit: to be clear, I feel it has a niche audience but it is extremely good at what it's doing. And yeah, can't recommend it enough if you were ever into the old DOS Origin Crusader games. It's that aesthetic, but so much better realised, with really tight modern twin-stick gameplay/controls.

edit2: I also used Xbox Gamepass to play it

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 26, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SavageMessiah posted:

gently caress u

A) I'm not even 40 yet!

B) It doesn't have The Wizard or The Weasel so it's crap

now I want to play crusader
I mean you should always play Crusader. Such a bummer the third was never finished. Had multiplayer!

I wonder if the Ultima 7/8 remake (Exult/Pentagram) people will get around to adding Crusader to their engine.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SavageMessiah posted:

I'm enjoying the SS1 remake a lot. It's really obviously just SS1 but dejankified (holy crap was the original clunky) and prettified.
Really looking forward to it. I grew up on stuff like Ultima Underworld, but by the time I got around to SS1 (and could get it running on whatever more-modern-than-intended computer of the time) I found it far too clunky to enjoy.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been using a PS4 controller, and now more recently a DualSense for as long as it was possible. I had bought a 360 controller specifically for PC gaming but holy hell the loving dpad sucked for anything that required a straight-down and not a diagonal. It was probably defective on hindsight but I remember a lot of people complaining about the dpads.

Switched to dualsense because with giving up my office for my stepdaughter's room, my PC is now like 8 ft. from the TV. Bluetooth loving sucks on this desktop, but I have long USB-C cables that can reach the couch.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I wound up buying a used PS2 controller and a PS2 -> USB adapter, because that was somehow more reliable.
Oh right, I did that too before DS4s. Adapter from Radio Shack.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I do like modern Xbox controllers, but I still end up reaching for a PS4/5 one though because the Xbox buttons are weirdly loud/clicky and I need to be quieter often.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I remember the Microsoft port of Metal Gear: Solid Snake being really good back in the day. Much higher resolution than PSX, and nice transparency/cloak effects. And it ran solid. Wonder what this one will be based on.

Orv posted:

It’s gonna be Ninja Gaiden levels of bad.
Thanks for opening that wound.

Still waiting for a sale on Ninja Gaiden Black on the Xbox store at some point lol.

Sold my copy for the original Sigma which ... meh. I did think Sigma was fine/great on Vita though. Less loading issues than PS3 magically ... but one dumb thing I could never get past was the glitchy floating blood/gore stains which ... are still in the latest re-releases. Sigh!

The Rachel stuff is annoying because ... it could have been better. Or should have been like a bonus separate campaign.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 28, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone here play Xenonauts 2? I know it's in EA, but is the storyline completed at least? Been thinking about giving it a try.

Late vacation reply. No the story is not done yet.

I know it superficially looks similar to 1 in screenshots, but in game, the tactical view has a lot more "life" to it with your troops having subtle idle animations. They look really good in motion and did a great job of shading the 3D models to match their style.

It also adds new mission variety with an EXALT-like faction.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

During the wholesome game sale got my first one like that for What the Golf. Wondered if it was perhaps on sale in other regions.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I just happened to play that RTX remake of Quake 2. The lighting was pretty drat awesome, and it still played close enough to a modern game. Feeling like I'm not missing anything here.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Volte posted:

You need to already own Quake 2 to play the RTX one (the full version anyway), which would mean you already have the remaster, since it just replaced the existing game on Steam in your library.
I meant more that as someone with hundreds of unplayed games in my library, I don't have it in me to replay it again. So soon after anyway.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Was there ever a fan attempt to do something with Spacebase?

Kinda bummed people are so down on Witness, and discovering Blow is a shithead. Absolutely loved the game at the time.

Also appreciated it when I got an HDR tv, but it kinda caused some of the colour puzzles to be easier to cheese.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Hopefully they patched Quake 4 some time in the last few years. Tried to play it a while back and it has an issue where the lighting doesn't render correctly on modern graphics cards and everything looks completely flat as a result. Gameplay was still fine but it really killed the atmosphere.
Omg I had no idea. I thought I was going nuts.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

redreader posted:

Given that elden ring STILL runs like poo poo with freezes every few seconds even at 1080p on my 3080 video card and runs great on lower-spec machines of friends... I think I'll be getting AC on my ps5 if I get it. I don't trust (new) 3d games to run correctly on pc, and if From hasn't fixed elden ring for me, I'm not going to trust armoured core to run properly on my pc.
Assuming you're up to date on video drivers, have you checked your motherboard drivers? "One weird PC trick" that often fixes the most obscure random strange issues.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So uh ... what was the last bug-free PC 3D game out?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Yea, it's very easy for anyone who has no idea how software -- be it 3D games or dumb business software -- works that think making something just run good is the easiest, most straight forward thing. Not every programmer knows every single best practice of all the tools they're expected to work with.
It's not even the tools, but the target hardware can give no fucks about how well you did. (And to be clear "target hardware" is almost infinite permutations of poo poo in the PC world.)

But speaking of tools, apparently Baldur's Gate 3 just had a broken buggy compile on one of their patches... the compiler itself bugged out unbeknownst. In theory the release should have gone through more QA, but 1. it would have taken longer when people are slavering and angry for it., 2., the glitch was exceptionally rare.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

If anyone besides me still cares, the new Saints Row is on steam now and on sale for 20 bucks
Apparently it's September's PSN+ game too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd kill for more Hardspace: Shipbreaker content

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The only way the Unity thing could be remotely justifiable is if they were providing future-proof/live runtimes. (Which obviously they're not.)

I feel these aged so terribly and not because of the graphics. Even that nice Anniversary remake feels like a slog these days. But sure, great for nostalgia.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't remember why got onto my wishlist, but it sounds and looks really cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/505230/Pathologic_2/

quote:

Pathologic 2 is a groundbreaking open-world horror RPG. Resist the plague. Make medicine. Heal people. Perform an autopsy. Trade to get what you need. Fight and kill if necessary. Survive. Struggle with an outbreak in a secluded rural town that is rapidly turning into hell.

Reviews well too. $11 CAD on sale.

quote:

Features:

• 12 days in an odd town ravaged by a deadly disease.
  • Time is of the essence: if you don’t manage it carefully, it’ll simply run out. You’ll have to choose how to spend the priceless minutes you have.
  • Survival thriller. You’ll have to manage your bodily functions, offsetting hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and so on. It doesn’t boil down to scavenging resources. Surviving on your own is hard; you’ll have to win over allies.
  • An uphill battle. Managing your bodily parameters may seem bearable at first, and as time goes by, it becomes harder and harder. Your own body is only waiting for an opportunity to give up and betray you. Things are changing from bad to worse and the odds are stacked against you.
  • A duel with an enemy you can’t kill. Your main foe is the plague itself, an incorporeal and malevolent entity that you have to defeat… without having the means to. It’s more powerful and more treacherous than you can imagine.
  • Loot, murder, mug, steal, barter, beg… or don’t. You need resources to survive, and it’s up to you how to obtain them.
  • The fights are short, ungraceful, and vicious. They’re not always lethal though. Many people—yourself included—would prefer to exchange their wallet for their life.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 15, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fun GRRM fact: the last game he regularly played was Master of Orion 1 ... and quit because it was too addictive.

I still love the game, but have been obsessed with this fan remake: https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

It's essentially the same game rules with bug fixes, lots more options, optional strong AI, and new interface+art.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No way

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Flair posted:

Dishonored if you want stealth

The Ascent looks interesting for a shooter
The Ascent feels like "way better than it has any right to be". Pretty detailed violent cyberpunk world, some RPG elements.

It feels like a modern take on Crusader: No Remorse to me in a lot of ways.

I hit a boss though where I'm either not skilled enough or the balance is rough. (The spider robot.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Wintermutant posted:

Oh nice, that's now two bands that the Max Payne series has turned me onto
#2 ... HEALTH?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Outer Worlds was pretty memorable to me in general, though sure the corporate aesthetics felt like a non-dilapitated cross between Fallout & BioShock. I especially like Nyoka as a companion. It felt like a tight/linear/shorter version of a Bethesda game that wasn't eating hours just exploring.

I think exploration makes those other games more memorable, but they often don't earn it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You're totally right. I think I figured that out after the first world or two and played that way just running from objective to objective.

I'll also say Outer Worlds and Fallout 3 are the only ones of these games I ever completely beat. I would have probably beat Fallout: NV except that vault filled with radiation permanently hosed up my character. Curing the rad sickness didn't fix the walking speed. Been years now but I don't remember if there were other problems too. I remember not being able to figure out how to solve it with the console. :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I seem to be the luckiest person in the world ... not sure I've ever had joystick drift on anything except a CH Flightstick from 1990.

But +1 8bitdo controllers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

eukara posted:

Radiant Silvergun is available now wooo

$20
I'd say, "now someone please please please do Gradius V," but ugh while developed by Treasure it was published by Konami.

Can upscale it somewhat well in an emulator but it's not perfect.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bumhead posted:

All 3 of the console manufacturers have reached “they’re fine/good” status and for everything else there’s 8bitdo.
I mostly agree but people still have their opinions, but we'll never reconcile analogue-stick placement.

I feel objectively a weird thing about the Xbox controller is how clicky the dpad and buttons are. Also doesn't matter much until you're a dad trying to keep the home quiet at night lol.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Orv posted:

Shipbreaker is still an extremely good game that can get you into some really fun flow states and also a lot of very funny failure states and I can't recommend it highly enough if you think you'll like the base gameplay.

They just, made some really odd decisions about what that game should be in between the ship murdering.
The in between stuff didn't bother me, but I admit it was weird that you can't skip through the dialogue. I know it pissed people off though for being pro-union :rolleyes:

I loved the game, wish there was more. I played with mouse+keyboard, I think it would be a lot more difficult with a gamepad to make those deft cuts.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh dang, Risk of Rain Returns came out just now
Wow, didn't know this was coming out.

Maybe I finally need to pull the trigger on a Steam Deck and replace my Vita lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No Wave posted:

I've never played risk of rain 1. I'm convinced its secretly bad and am looking forward to finding out if I'm right.
I'll offer that I didn't get it my first try, but for some reason I stuck with it and got obsessed.