Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And honestly, a revenge power fantasy against the Dark Lord and his evil armies seems a little more palatable than some alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

konasuba and grimgar cover basically every variation on this i would care to watch, basically. and i guess frieren is arguably in the same mold of generic adventure story, and that covers manga p much. im not a big fantasy head.

Chaika was pretty charming, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I liked bofuri even though it uses the common isekai trope of having an insane over powered protagonist, its a fantasy adventure series only because the MMO uses a fantasy setting. It has 0 stakes, just idiots having fun. Also Maple's power being gained because she plays in a very unconventional way that broke the games logic under her knee feels more earned than any isekai protagonist stumbling into godlike power

Yeah, Bofuri being exclusively about dorks having fun in a buggy-but-entertaining MMO is very important. It wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if 'Maple effortlessly wins at everything' was connected to actual conflict with stakes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Vash's gun is extremely weird for plot-related reasons that maybe shouldn't be discussed here (this being a new series based on an old manga, with all the attendant ambiguities over spoiler etiquette), so it wouldn't be all that surprising if it can do a lot more with a lot less than any conventional firearm.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was quite surprised to learn that Tite Kubo didn't do the character designs for Revenger (seeing as he's been known to do designs for other people's work before). Those long faces looked very familiar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is kind of amusing how that Urobuchi archetype has gradually moved from being the arch-enemy of the protagonist to the ideal boyfriend of the protagonist. You can almost track the progression story by story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I read the first couple of chapters of the Iceblade Sorcerer manga, and it seemed like a bland but pleasant story about a mildly traumatised ex-child soldier going to school to get a bit of his childhood back. It also had a pleasingly good face game. Then I watched the first episode of the anime, expecting it to be much the same. It, erm, wasn't. It's got the same general structure and plot beats, but either the manga adapted the hell out of the original light novel or the anime completely butchered it, because every adaptation decision regarding pacing, event structuring, aesthetic choices, and so on was drastically different and drastically worse. Like, it didn't even feel like they were squeezing chapters together to churn out content fast - it was the same stuff presented in vastly divergent ways.

As an example, here's the class teacher's introduction in the manga, and here's the same scene in the anime. Yes, these are apparently the same character:

Also, look at the compositing between the background of that anime screenshot and the character in the foreground, ew ew ew. It's really not a pretty show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

The sussier the better, in 2023

Eh, maybe not when it involves naked children.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been reading more of the Iceblade manga, and it really is genuinely charming. I continue to be baffled by how the same source material could end up as such a radically different (and awful) anime - it's like the manga staff had all the good ideas on how to adapt the light novel, and the anime staff had all the bad ones.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

Not to say that manga authors have it easy, but as far as adaptations go they're usually under a lot less production and corporate pressure than anime from what I've seen. There's plenty of them that are very clearly colored by the author's narrative and visual style while a lot of anime stick close to their source material and its illustrations even when they can't get said illustrator on the anime or even emulate them very well.

Mmmaybe, but the differences are so frequent and substantial (and show up so early) that this doesn't quite feel like an adequate explanation. Either one version took absolutely massive liberties with the source material, or they both diverged from it in completely opposite directions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

I wouldn’t put too much hope in the “Revolution” part of the title

Or, more precisely, it is about a revolution, but a technological one rather than a straightforwardly political one. Namtab has it right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it's also an unforced artistic choice. Nihei works with Polygon on adapted/original anime, and Polygon works in 3D. It's the medium and aesthetic they're happiest with. If it looks a bit odd and sterile, then that's just their style at this point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think I like Revenger. It's just a solid, good-looking example of a familiar old genre, and if you want to see quirky assassins delivering justice to various flavours of feudal shitbag with fancy James Bond gadgets, it's got you covered.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I know the archer turning his tricked-out bow into an anti-materiel rifle through sheer manly flexing is getting a lot of attention here, but I think we should also talk about the protagonist's shiny new spiked boots, which let him cut a dude in half with a leaping katana slice from the opposite side of a canal.

Really feels like a loving tribute to gory Eighties OVAs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

i was sold when the woman beheaded a dude with a loving kite string lmao

I'm listing that kid under 'actual gender identity yet to be determined', especially after what they got up to this episode. Pretty sure the mob boss they killed was into dudes.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 15, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Patware posted:

seconding mmo junkie, it's pretty good.

obligatory mention that the producer turned out to suck rear end but gently caress it

Director, no?

Which is a particular shame since it was an excellent adaptation, and it would have been nice if such a promising talent hadn't turned out to be an actual, no-poo poo Nazi.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Is the harem any good?

In the manga, they're a pretty likeable bunch. They also get opportunities to do cool poo poo on their own because the protagonist is a socially-inept ex-child soldier who's held back from overusing his enormous magical power by his old war wounds - the current arc is about the main girl entering an inter-school tournament and cleaning house while the MC is doing bureaucratic and event security work on the organising committee. Can't speak for the anime, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd also say that the harem elements in the manga aren't especially developed (as of about 40-50 chapters in). There's several girls who like the protagonist, but the main female lead is the only one who's getting serious romantic development with him so far, and even that's in the relatively early days. Mostly, they're just a large, disproportionately female group of friends.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

That's a bizarre premise.

It's a pretty bizarre manga, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Does it have good action? I feel like that's a basic requirement for any show about a hyper-enthusiastic fightperson.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's got my favorite japanese VA, Saori Hayami, as Ameri. So maybe I should.

She's playing surprisingly far against type, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seems the dub VA for Thorfinn from Vinland Saga has been up to some pretty horrific poo poo:

https://twitter.com/averysmithhart/status/1623797236542103553?s=46&t=opIb4UMiHzVe2jE16HpaJQ

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

ftr covid rates in japan are pretty low rn but obviously these things happen on a delay (if show was in production when it was peaking then it would mean they'd fall behind now)

the ideal solution would have been for stuff to not start airing but thatd cost Money so instead you get these situations

Seems like 'delays due to COVID' are a running joke on industry insider Twitter, and it's instead an excuse for a bunch of shows' schedules completely making GBS threads themselves due to overproduction and (non-COVID-related) understaffing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/netflixgeeked/status/1625631004764393474?s=46&t=Juw-K2cOnhxYNsogGlyn7Q

Looking promising.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Maybe it's saltsnow

I think it actually is, or is otherwise undrinkable. Kind of like how drinking water ends up in short supply when a flood sweeps in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wootbit. Wootbit? Wootbit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm assuming there's actually good modern xianxia with real literary merit rather than just webnovel shovelware (the genre's been around in something resembling its present incarnation since 1932, for Christ's sake), but I certainly wouldn't know where to start looking.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GateOfD posted:

i appreciate that the demon lord in Farming isekai is the reasonable kind, and not automatically evil like the standard setting.

always felt bad for the demon lord and his country how they keep being made to be evil, so I like the growing trend of having them just being a regular ruler of their demonic non-human races.

Then again, you might as well do something with the fact that they're, well, demonic, or they're just a lord.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Honestly "you die in the game, you die in real life" but actually written well and making the whole thing into Lord of the Flies would be pretty good

Runs into the problem that most human beings aren't as deeply warped as British public schoolboys, though. Golding was going for narrower social commentary than most people think.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

it's a good series, my only problem is the ending is rushed as hell and could have had a solid epilogue arc to gracefully finish it off, but instead goes from a middling final arc to an abrupt finish in like 2 chapters. other than that it's a solid action romcom, Rokudo is a very good protagonist, and despite how it looks, it's not a harem series.

I'd argue it's at least harem-adjacent, even if there's one clear-cut main girl.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

symbolic posted:

i like when man with sword hit dragon

Consider: when dragon hit man with sword.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

genericnick posted:

Is danmachi actually good? I never gave it a look, but it's sticking around for some time now, so I suppose there must be something there?

I always got the impression it had its merits, but was mostly coasting along on the back of a well-executed first season that they didn't retain the necessary staff for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Could just be the old 'misanthropic chuuni learns how to like people again after meeting a cute girl' premise. There's a few of those.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Coaaab posted:

oohhhhhhhh it's by the studio who did quints s2 and the movie

Only twenty times as many girlfriends, then? Easy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like the horsegirls anime needs a new composer:

https://twitter.com/unseenjapansite/status/1635950895148965888?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

He's only one of many composers, and he didn't work on the anime.

Ah, mobile game guy instead. Fair enough.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

"Backstabbed in a Backwater Dungeon: My Party Tried to Kill Me, But Thanks to an Infinite Gacha I Got LVL 9999 Friends and Am Out For Revenge"

There's, unsurprisingly, a Reddit thread that compiles some of the longer series names.

Ironically, that sounds like the sort of story that could be finished very quickly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I'm guessing this will be anime-original? Doesn't seem like there's an obvious arc that would get the movie treatment, and SXF is episodic enough that they could easily tell a standalone story if they so chose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean this sincerely when i say what you are doing is monstrous to a level that i feel sympathy even for the animators of the slave isekai stuff and i sincerely hope you find some way to fix whatever it is that makes you do this

Endorph posted:

please stop talking to me, posting in this subforum, or watching anime

Going to be real here, this is maybe a teensy bit over the line when someone is talking about how their attention span issues affect their media consumption habits.