Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This is news to me because everyone says "We never hear about the ozone layer anymore because we fixed it*"

*The cause of the harm to the ozone layer,
(But they never say this part:)
and the ozone layer probably recover before you die of old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, having so much trouble voting for a speaker that you had to perform necromancy? Now that’s a real “red scare”.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

Andy Marlette

This just looks like George W to me.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nomination : Worst Label

Unless there’s a medical condition called mar-a-lago rear end I don’t know about.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 14, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

Hitch's caricature's are just as elaborate as Telnaes' but I never recognize any of them? And for that matter, I generally have no idea what he's talking about. Are his cartoons directed at a specific state?

Or maybe he just has a caricature drawing side-hustle in the city park and he wants everyone to know. "Hey kid, you like roller skates and t-shirts with nonsense phrases? Sure, ya do!"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Biden making GBS threads right on the head of the "I am very intellegent" guy.

I'm not even sure what the metaphor of America being a well, or even a person making GBS threads in a well is supposed to be?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Columbus Day
He couldn’t be stopped

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

You know what they say, can’t have empty thought bubble if Biden not pictured.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

Steve Benson

Benson very cleverly getting around trademark by misspelling super bowl.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I developed a nasty cold today and feel like I’m on my deathbed.

*gropes blindly*
Please someone, you’ve got to tell me,
Is... sluggo... still... lit?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nomination: Worst three things happened

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

“It’s time to buy American-owned American-made!”

From who Ben, loving aquaman?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Best comedy option is he flees to Russia but also continues to run for President.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Holy poo poo is this an "ARE LIGHTBULBS" cartoon in loving 2023?

Rob is so out of touch that he literally didn’t hear about the gas stove thing.

So the conservative definition of Banana Republic for some reason focuses on the “unfairly ousted former leader of country silenced by imprisioning after falsified charges” part. Am I understanding this correctly?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Who could fill the hem of Trump’s pant leg?

Even taken non densely its absurd that Branco thinks Trump could even get remotely close to doing the damage to our country that Reagan did.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kikas posted:

I am looking and I'm having a hard time finding anything on why did teens gather at the Loop. Was it to commemorate last years shooting? Not from the US so I haven't heard anything about it.
All the news are about the shooting or FOX being assholes towards teens.

Chicago elected a mayor who might not be awful. First the incumbent didn’t carry through to the runoff, which was already hilarious, but then the progressive won over the centrist democrat. (This is Chicago, so republicans didn’t even place.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Whoa, when did Julian Assange kill someone?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Actually, Branco, the point of a panopticon is that,

You know what, never mind, you’re too stupid to understand.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Got some bad news about the last 6 years then Ed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Ohhh, gently caress you a millionfold, Stantis.

I see what caused the confusion. Those aren't the same people, even if it is the same building. They have to rent out the back of the Daily Peccary because Stantis won't allow any public infrastructure building in Prickly City.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

the_steve posted:

I don't know what it is, exactly, but there's just something incredibly satisfying about the impotent hate Stiglich has for Fetterman.

Stiglich cursing himself for letting Obama get away with a tan suit. It was a slippery slope!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

Mike Thompson

Huge slam on our naval service out of nowhere.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Youremother posted:

I have had a lark before by erasing the labels from politoons and challenging friends to guess what they're about. Could you guess what this Varvel was about without any text in it?

Biden isn’t doing anything about debt, but also at the same time inflation?!? That’s my guess.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ungulateman posted:

they're letting the genie out of the bottle, and now they can't put it back in.

it's not the best turn of phrase to draw a picture of because of the exact issue you're running into, where there's a presumption of wishes

We don’t really have the cultural background in the US for the cliche “letting the genie out of the bottle” to make any sense to us, our only touch point is ‘Disney’s Aladdin’.

Pants Donkey posted:

So to figure out what Rall’s cartoon on schools not outing trans students meant, I listened to his podcast. A podcast with Stantis as the only other person, so please understand my sacrifice.

*Bottom line, Rall thinks the trans movement is happening too fast. You can tell it’s his own discomfort with trans people fueling this
*He finds both Jenner’s and Mulvaney’s transitions “freaky” because the former is “ugly” and the latter is “cute.”
*He didn’t understand how a seven-year-old could be intersex, which is even sadder since intersex is a biological condition that makes it different when it comes to gender identity. It’s clear he’s done zero research on this.
*There are “zero trans political cartoonists.” Please inform Matt Lubchansky and Alison Sayers that they in fact do not exist. And that’s just two I know off the top of my head
*Rall is against trans women in women’s sports
*He thinks cis is hypocritical because trans people wants to be called something and not forced to be called something else, but then they force him to be called cis. Thank god he decided to be called a white heterosexual male cartoonist.

So yeah, Rall’s take is extremely liberal in that he’s superficially supportive until he has to deal with it personally.

“Felt cute, might make Ted Rall uncomfortable later”

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ah yes, another well crafted, poignant cartoon, now to submit it for publication in newspapers.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

I need one cartoonist to please have the courage to depict Pat Robertson in Hell.

Kelly will do it.

Lisa is right, Newsom doesn’t have a chance in the republican primary.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Lawrence Welk is the winner, iron bars are the loser.

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

Is anyone saying it’s a sad day for America? Those people are idiots, attempting to prosecute a former president for a crime he committed is good. We should do more of it.

Now I have cursed us to a Ted Rall where he goes: “You believe in prison abolition, but you think justice should be done in Trump’s case? How ironic.”

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

My question is, did you know that the connotations of words change over time? For instance ‘egg’ can be used to connote a person who has not yet come to terms with their trans identity.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

50 Worst Dates

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

I can’t WAIT to BOMB some DODONGOS!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Cool great interview.
Love the part where you set up a straw man, only ask one question, and never let the interviewee respond.
An accurate depiction of conservative 'journalism'. AGC

You say you, a rich white landowner, want freedom once, and then they give freedom to women and black people?!?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 4, 2023

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Special Nomination: The Michael P. Ramirez award for “It’s Incisive Commentary!”

Am I understanding this correctly that they support single payer healthcare as long as we stay away from those other communisms?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Let's do a brief retrospective of Prickly City this week.

Okay, talking about how the media's focus can distort our perception. A fine topic, I'm sure Stantis will realize he has nothing more to say about it and the story will peter out.

Or just immediately drop it.
Then Carmen, apropos of nothing whatsoever spontaneously says "The torch has been passed!" What torch? What torch has been passed in summer of 2023? I don't know, but apparently the expected outcome is for the seeming front-runners of the 2024 presidential election to respond for some reason?

You can't do that on television political cartoons!

The mascots of our major political parties angrily ram into each other exploding into green goo which covers both of our protagonists.
Then Carmen, again, apropos of poo poo all, quotes the declaration of independence.
Like the only coherent interpretation of these two comics is that getting covered in mascot slime was the last straw for Carmen and now she's openly advocating violent revolution.

I think, Stantis may have had a mental break?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

How am I supposed to read this, is it 30% or 24%, and does anyone actually care?

I think it’s an astounding typo and 24% is the percent of the vote for the rep. from Florida.

It amuses to me that the apparently did ranked choice voting so they could say something more than Trump #1!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I don't know why this one in particular made me so mad, but I don't know whether to nominate it for Worst "A Thing Happened" or "Worst Overall."

I wonder if this is a flash in the pan or if we should go ahead and create a new “Worst cartoon dog whistling about lynching” category

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

DON’T MISS OUR “TREASURE CHEST” SALE- GOING ON NOW! ORDER YOUR MYSTERY CHEST TODAY

Ben Garrison is selling loot crates now.
I can't say 'it's not consistent with his beliefs.'

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The Babylon Bee only has one joke. a good...
Oh, wait, he's agreeing with them.

Gary Varvel only has one joke. A bad cartoon.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Jesus christ.

I tried to select some choice examples, but it wound up being half the program.

I like that they refused to rent more than one conference room. Surely everyone at the conference wants to hear all of this garbage.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is this the first time 2023 has appeared? Eight months into 2023?

I think we’re going back to the sinfest lifecycle of under 30 for 11 months, dies suddenly when their existence is remembered in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

“I care about what Hawaiian people think!” Garrison insists as he shows us this picture of a native Hawaiian sacrificing Joe Biden to a volcano.